Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Megasabin posted:

I do mention the Eternal Cities, but I don't mention the Nox, because I do not think the Nox are the original inhabitants of the Eternal City. I list the Ancient Dynasty of the Eternal City, of which you only see a singular NPC, their priests known as the Claymen. The Ancient Dynasty of the Eternal City is destroyed by Astel, Naturalborn of the Void, who came on a falling meteor long before the Nox ever arrived in the Eternal City. Astel is also likely the reason the Dark Moon is no longer present in the Eternal City.

I don't have the item citations on me at this time, but the Nox are a civilization who lived above ground, came into conflict with the Golden Order, and then were banished below ground. I believe they found the ruins of the Eternal City with some of their silver tear technology intact. But the Nox appears to have nothing to do with the Claymen, who are directly stated in the two Claymen Spells to be part of the original ancient dynasty.

I agree with most of your list. Two points I have different takes on:

I do not think the Golden Order were responsible for the sealing of the Scarlet Rot Civilization. I think the water dancer is far older than the Golden Order, and sealed away the Scarlet Rot before the Elden Beast even came to the Lands Between. Although he does interact with the Golden Order by becoming Malenia's teacher. I imagine we will see him in a DLC as a Malenia-esque boss.

I also do not think there is any evidence the Golden Order waged an offensive war on the Dragons. They fought two defensive wars when their capital was attacked. Then in order to learn to better defend their capital, some of the crucible knights & erdtree protectors decided they wanted to become dragons and traveled to Farum Azulua to attempt to learn how. But Farum Azulua is a mausoleum-- the Dragonlord-Beatmen civilization has been long fallen by the time the Golden order interacts with them.

I think you're right about the water dancer, and the dragons thing, and I think that leads me to an interesting thought were those final dragons who attacked the erdtree the dragon equivalents of the demigods we face? was the giant one in the city the dragon version of Marika? creatures, degenerate but still of great power, who refused to see that their time had come? Placidusax definitely exhibits a trait from our time as khwarezm pointed out: two of something with an absent three (heads and fingers)

also regarding the Nox:

Architecturally there are two distinct sets of cities underground. Nokstella and Nokron have very bloodborney aesthetics, but Uhl Palace Ruins and the Siofra Palace Ruins are a very distinct more ancient style. The claymen are also always seperate from the mimics, so I don't know if they're related. I think the Nox built amongst the ruins of that older civ. Uhl Palace also shares an architectural style with the ruins in the Lake of Rot and the rot temple after it, so it could be possible that the claymen civ was the rot civ? although you don't see too much scarlet rot in the siofra ruins that also look the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Phenotype posted:

God, who gives a gently caress about this poo poo anymore. It's not even Elden Ring, it's Thirteen Frame Perfect Glitches Known as The Zip: A Questionable Spectator Sport. Like, okay, wonderful, you've figured out how to break a piece of software over your knee, but there's no real crossover anymore between this and content for people who actually want to watch the game being played. I can appreciate that it's a technical achievement and it requires skill to do, but at this point an "Elden Ring Speedrun" has virtually nothing to do with the actual video game anymore.

so just watch a different category? Any% runs and All Remembrances runs exist, which don’t allow use of this glitch. The “Any% Unrestricted” category is about pushing the game as far as it will let itself be pushed.

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 12, 2022

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

they should hire speedrunners to bugtest games really

or maybe im dumb and half of speedrunners are QA people and thats how they get so good at finding bugs

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

im rolling with an Arcane bleed build and Im starting to worry about some upcoming bosses that I know are immune to bleed. Any good weapons for arcane builds that arent built around bleed?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I like that NG+ leaves your map unlocked. Makes it easy to rush tunnels for bell bearings and whatever weapons you want to get a copy of or whatever.

I honestly doubt I'll ever use a shield again because of endless powerstancing. Unless I'm powerstancing great shields that is.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Megasabin posted:

I do mention the Eternal Cities, but I don't mention the Nox, because I do not think the Nox are the original inhabitants of the Eternal City. I list the Ancient Dynasty of the Eternal City, of which you only see a singular NPC, their priests known as the Claymen. The Ancient Dynasty of the Eternal City is destroyed by Astel, Naturalborn of the Void, who came on a falling meteor long before the Nox ever arrived in the Eternal City. Astel is also likely the reason the Dark Moon is no longer present in the Eternal City.

I don't have the item citations on me at this time, but the Nox are a civilization who lived above ground, came into conflict with the Golden Order, and then were banished below ground. I believe they found the ruins of the Eternal City with some of their silver tear technology intact. But the Nox appears to have nothing to do with the Claymen, who are directly stated in the two Claymen Spells to be part of the original ancient dynasty.

I don’t see why you think the Nox aren’t from Eternal City. They are specifically said to have been enemies of the Greater Will, not the Golden Order. The clay men are “warped remains” according to their ashes and imo shouldn’t be taken to indicate that the Eternal Cities were all clay all the way.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Professor Beetus posted:

I like that NG+ leaves your map unlocked. Makes it easy to rush tunnels for bell bearings and whatever weapons you want to get a copy of or whatever.

I honestly doubt I'll ever use a shield again because of endless powerstancing. Unless I'm powerstancing great shields that is.

ooh has anyone found a shield build like DS3's giant door shields?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
My Elden Ring head canon is that I'm here to punch people's face in. The Age of Fist.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

im rolling with an Arcane bleed build and Im starting to worry about some upcoming bosses that I know are immune to bleed. Any good weapons for arcane builds that arent built around bleed?

At some point you get a knife that lets you upgrade basic weapons to occult with weapon arts and I've been doing that because occult weapons get their best scaling from arcane. Using dual hoslows occult whips right now and they really whip the llama's rear end.

e: I guess those are bleed weapons too but you can slap occult on pretty much anything. I don't remember where or when you get that knife though.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

my guess on the claymen is theyre whats left of guys who got pulped by some kind of meteor shower. their ruins have those 'malformed star' giant purple hanging enemies who pelt you with gravity magic looking meteors. their spears also have a shard of glintstone in them. i think the claymen are like the soul equivalent of the shadows burned onto buildings in hiroshima. they got nuked flat but their spirits arose again in the form of glintstone-infused river clay.

after all, they melt again when you kill them.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!
: I have zero:r ex

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

ooh has anyone found a shield build like DS3's giant door shields?

I have no idea, but I do have a ton of great shields to try and more than one that shits fire at people.

El Diablo Bob O posted:

: I have zero:r ex

Which Japanese VN is this and why is it relevant to Elden Ring?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
What spells out are as good as pest threads and adula's moonblade for speed and damage?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

my wishlist for a dark souls game is a pair of these:

like fist weapons but you get block frames during some attacks

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tractor fanatic posted:

What spells out are as good as pest threads and adula's moonblade for speed and damage?
there's not, but charged comets with the charged talisman bonus, comet azur if can get your target to stand still in it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Professor Beetus posted:

I have no idea, but I do have a ton of great shields to try and more than one that shits fire at people.

Which Japanese VN is this and why is it relevant to Elden Ring?

If you can get two of those, let us know if you can powerstance them lol

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

You can just infuse your weapon with Occult which gives you physical attack that scales with arcane.

Dragon communion seal lets you cast incantations and it scales with arcane so you can do real damage with spells.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

juggalo baby coffin posted:

they should hire speedrunners to bugtest games really

or maybe im dumb and half of speedrunners are QA people and thats how they get so good at finding bugs

ER launched with close to a million concurrent players in the first few days of release. That's one million hours of play testing per hour every hour. No amount of QA can simulate that.

Sooner or later somebody's going to stand up, block, and move forward for exactly the right number of frames and get yote 10 miles downwind, then clip that on their PS5 and post it to Twitter saying "Hey that was weird, anybody know what happened here?"

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

there's not, but charged comets with the charged talisman bonus, comet azur if can get your target to stand still in it

On that note, have you noticed any flat damage reduction on magic like in previous games, or is it all percentage based now? I was testing various spells on the sorcerer balls vs the big fat trolls, and they seem to take similar ratios of damage. If true, this would mean split damage is just fine now.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Deified Data posted:

If I could have one more question answered it'd be why tf are vulgar militia so small, like what are they? Humans? Goblin freaks?

Either a hobbit equivalent or just humans of small stature. I found out they banded together because they were shunned for being small so now I regret farming runes from them and wear one of their helmets in their honour

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

an interesting note: a lot of stuff in elden ring is drawn from traditional folklore, british specifically as you might expect for GRRM derived material

the vulgar militia are clearly based on the legend of the redcaps: small but vicious creatures that lived in ruins and old battlefields. they had long rusty polearms and iron boots, and a tall pointed cap that they dyed red with blood of people they killed.

the vulgar militia do basically the same thing, they occupy ruined battlefields and scavenge from them. they also seem to have some weird relationship with the rune of death, as they can wreathe their weapons in the death element flames, and are found near malekith, and they use his spells

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tractor fanatic posted:

On that note, have you noticed any flat damage reduction on magic like in previous games, or is it all percentage based now? I was testing various spells on the sorcerer balls vs the big fat trolls, and they seem to take similar ratios of damage. If true, this would mean split damage is just fine now.

i've not noticed any evidence that the damage system has changed in any meaningful way from any previous soulsgames but i also haven't sat down and tried to test it out, either

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

GreatGreen posted:

Found a video that sums up my opinions about it pretty well. Extreme highs and extreme lows all in the same game.

His deconstruction of exactly why a lot of the boss fights are poorly designed is spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEyjdc-DIb8

Your gonna have to post highlights cause I ain't watching a 2 hour video, also disagree that "a lot of boss fights are poorly designed"

Like just skimming through the video he seems to have a hard on for sekiro (rightly so) but a) lmao if anyone is arguing sekiro or its combat systems have mass appeal, its objectively the hardest From game and b) dunno what to tell you when you can't figure out boss mechanics need to be varied when one game has an extremely specific gameplay loop you can balance everything around extremely tightly and the other has several wildly different and valid ways to play

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 12, 2022

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

I also am doing a dagger bleed build. I have Reduvia fully levelled up and it rules. I am at about +8 with my left handed daggers (Scorpion's Stinger = gives Rot, Glintsone Kris = magic damage).

Is there any point of using them in a left hand and L1 attacking? Would it be a better boss strategy be to 2 hand the rot dagger and switch to bleed after infecting them?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
In my anecdotal experience, switching a strength focused weapon from heavy to fire resulted in doing as much damage or more against most enemies. I’m sure the math changes depending on the exact weapon/enemy/amount of strength but split damage didn’t seem to be inherently worse.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

I've found the secret for horse enemies is to always roll to the right when facing them. If you stay on the opposite side as their weapon the horse doesn't side charge, and they can't hit you with the big strikes. It's made taking out the night horsemen so much easier.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Malaria posted:

How do you all get so much lore out of this game?

I am basically at the end, and have the faintest idea of wtf is going on in the game.

I learned more reading this thread than in the game.

90% of it is item descriptions, and piecing them together, along with the more overt clues given in the game world. Things like statues, paintings, locations of NPCs/items, etc.

For example for the merchants relation to the frenzied flame, your first hint is right at the start, when Kale describes the Great Caravan being destroyed, and describe having a code administering extreme justice if one of them is harmed. if that makes you curious and you attack one of them, they will use frenzy to fight you. Later, as you are exploring the sewers, you find a ton of dead merchants, and also find their gear set. It explicitly states that the great caravan was rounded up and imprisoned there, and that they performed a ritual to summon the frenzied flame.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
When did the lobsters get rail guns

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Speaking of world stuff, what's with the huge dead priestesses in Nokron and Nokstella?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

Your gonna have to post highlights cause I ain't watching a 2 hour video, also disagree that "a lot of boss fights are poorly designed"

Like just skimming through the video he seems to have a hard on for sekiro (rightly so) but a) lmao if anyone is arguing sekiro or its combat systems have mass appeal, its objectively the hardest From game and b) dunno what to tell you when you can't figure out boss mechanics need to be varied when one game has an extremely specific gameplay loop you can balance everything around extremely tightly and the other has several wildly different and valid ways to play

His two primary issues with a lot of the boss fights is that some of them are extremely repetitive (dragons, tree avatars, etc.), and that some of the later ones are an unreasonable level of difficulty without taking advantage of some things that lots of builds don't engage with and have a lot of unavoidable damage.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!
We

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Speaking of world stuff, what's with the huge dead priestesses in Nokron and Nokstella?

i can't tell if it's related to the Nokron civilisation or the like older palace ruins civ. There are a lot of corpses of very humanly-proportioned really giant giants around the game world, that are more normal looking than the trolls and fire giant you fight.

I did find mention of another ancient society or something on the shield dropped from the shield deathroot skeletons (the black raggedy skeletons, not the clean old-style ones you find in dungeons):

i don't know if this refers to one of the prior civs we already listed, or if it's even older than those. The shield shows a very traditional looking castle, and the whole thing reminds me of where you meet solaire in undead burg.

edit: i figured it out, the astrologers used to live on the mountain with the giants and had peace with them (trying to find which item this was on). They must have gone underground together, or been bombarded into the underground by star beasts or something. It would explain why the claymen all have glintstone shards and magic spells if they're the hosed up remains of the original astrologers.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 12, 2022

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm curious about this, as well as who is the bearded, one-eyed guy with all the giant statues in the "Uld Palace Ruins" area in Liurnia? (not to be confused with the below-ground Uhl Palace Ruins)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
The Frenzied Flame is just The Greater Will with the Law of Regression applied. Just wants to return everything to how it started.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I asked about this before and I still want to know! There's giants all over the place though so I'm also not super surprised.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Megasabin posted:

I agree with most of your list. Two points I have different takes on:

I do not think the Golden Order were responsible for the sealing of the Scarlet Rot Civilization. I think the water dancer is far older than the Golden Order, and sealed away the Scarlet Rot before the Elden Beast even came to the Lands Between. Although he does interact with the Golden Order by becoming Malenia's teacher. I imagine we will see him in a DLC as a Malenia-esque boss.

I also do not think there is any evidence the Golden Order waged an offensive war on the Dragons. They fought two defensive wars when their capital was attacked. Then in order to learn to better defend their capital, some of the crucible knights & erdtree protectors decided they wanted to become dragons and traveled to Farum Azulua to attempt to learn how. But Farum Azulua is a mausoleum-- the Dragonlord-Beatmen civilization has been long fallen by the time the Golden order interacts with them.

I'll add to this that I don't see Marika shattering the Elden Ring as her trying to stave off competition or undermine Ranni's plot. We know that Radagon explicitly was trying to repair the ring (the item description of his hammer), while Marika is trying to destroy it, and Radagon is the second to last boss, literally gatekeeping the way we can change the world, so it makes sense to say that Radagon is trying to preserve the status quo. There's lots of hints that Marika was trying to undermine the Elden Beast with her Tarnished plot, especially with her words to Godfrey. Milena will tell you in one of her church conversations that Marika wants her children to seize the Great Runes and become lord, which will require killing the beast, but that if they don't, they'll amount to "nothing more than sacrifices" because she wants someone to end the current state of affairs; at this point, she doesn't care who, and if you fall short, you're damned. She wants the fighting not to undermine plans like Ranni's but to fragment resistance to plans like Ranni's.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Why does this game have like 50 pairs of pants and only two or three skirts, all of them past the capital 😭

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

GHOST_BUTT posted:

When did the lobsters get rail guns

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpheidae

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
so i took a break after finishing the main game and am just now fighting Malenia

also googling where to find bloodhound step ash of war

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
so I was doing gimmick invasions in the hallway to the final boss fight and ended up invading the Radagon fight itself lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lo0YHbo5lg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

skasion posted:

Why does this game have like 50 pairs of pants and only two or three skirts, all of them past the capital 😭

I mean you can get the Snow witch skirt and (if you think it counts) the Nox Monk skirt before the capital if you main Ranni's quest before going there.