Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Slavvy posted:

How will sea foam fix a misadjusted pilot screw...?

I don't see how it could have gotten misadjusted but I slacked off on running it over the winter so it hasn't run since probably Sept/Oct, I'm banking on a clog because our gas is poo poo here and has way too much ethanol. Like 80% of the calls I get this time of year are "My lawnmower was working fine last year but now it won't start". I put stabilizer in but I guess that's not a miracle cure.

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For better or worse one the of things I did when I had the carb off the bike just now was to replace it with an external idle screw so I wouldn't need to fondle a hot engine. Not sure I would have bothered if I didn't already have the carb off but here we are.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Opopanax posted:

I don't see how it could have gotten misadjusted but I slacked off on running it over the winter so it hasn't run since probably Sept/Oct, I'm banking on a clog because our gas is poo poo here and has way too much ethanol. Like 80% of the calls I get this time of year are "My lawnmower was working fine last year but now it won't start". I put stabilizer in but I guess that's not a miracle cure.

Oh right I see. In that case I wish you luck, hopefully the carb diaphragm isn't vulnerable to the stuff, hopefully the pilot holes aren't so small that they're blocked solid. I'll bet all this started when you didn't drain the bowl last year.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Slavvy posted:

Oh right I see. In that case I wish you luck, hopefully the carb diaphragm isn't vulnerable to the stuff, hopefully the pilot holes aren't so small that they're blocked solid. I'll bet all this started when you didn't drain the bowl last year.

I know my sins, you don’t need to remind me :negative:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You are forgiven my child say ten hail ottos before bed and you will be absolved, may saint soichiro guide and protect you

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Running the carbs dry last winter was probably the only smart thing I've done since deciding to buy a bike a year younger than me.

Last time I was out before surgery, I almost hit a squirrel, but somehow, between my rear sliding and my high pitched scream, I missed the little guy.

Oh. And to the goon who said hernia surgery doesn't hurt. Do you HAVE pain receptors?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just had a flash of realization that shy of the actual transmission gears (by virtue of buying a whole salvage lower vs splitting and replacing the busted case), there isn't a single part of the DRZ that I haven't taken apart and put back together now.

It wasn't the most pleasant of circumstances but I feel oddly enriched for the experience.

I've literally built 97% of a motorcycle.

I might split the old case just for fun, to say I did it. Or I can grab a replacement case, put it back together and flip it on ebay or kijiji for a few bucks for some other poor kickstarter schmuck.

Instead of using my real bike for new "fun projects" I'll do the motorcycle equivalent of this:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 7, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

gileadexile posted:

Oh. And to the goon who said hernia surgery doesn't hurt. Do you HAVE pain receptors?

Who the gently caress said that???

My hernia repair still hurts occasionally 20 years later.

You have my deepest sympathies if you're recovering from hernia surgery right now. I hope you have stool softeners.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

gileadexile posted:

Running the carbs dry last winter was probably the only smart thing I've done since deciding to buy a bike a year younger than me.
Last time I was out before surgery, I almost hit a squirrel, but somehow, between my rear sliding and my high pitched scream, I missed the little guy.

The only time I think I've caught air on a motorcycle was on a skunk corpse. Like 0.25" of air but I'm calling it a stunt jump.

I love all the critters and I will delay my mornings substantially to re-home bathtub spiders, but when I scream it will be a song for the squirrel become traction, which I think is automatic Valhalla for them.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Saw a guy today on his circa 90s Softail Classic with a full size golf bag (with clubs) hung where the left saddle bag would normally be. Looks like he welded up some sort of support/holder for it

He looked really happy.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

epswing posted:

Saw a guy today on his circa 90s Softail Classic with a full size golf bag (with clubs) hung where the left saddle bag would normally be. Looks like he welded up some sort of support/holder for it

He looked really happy.

boomer.jpg

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

epswing posted:

He looked really happy.

I took this outside Tampa a couple years ago while visiting my uncle for Christmas

crocs 'n clubs

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Possible safety stuff aside, riding to the range to hit a bucket sounds super chill.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Never mind riding, what kind of shithole golf course lets you in wearing crocs?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Never mind riding, what kind of shithole golf course lets you in wearing crocs?

Florida

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I can't get from A to B in the decision process that starts at "riding the bike, better gear up" and ends at "leather jacket and skid lid, but crocs and no gloves". I guess maybe it was chilly that morning or something - but the jacket's open?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

I can't get from A to B in the decision process that starts at "riding the bike, better gear up" and ends at "leather jacket and skid lid, but crocs and no gloves". I guess maybe it was chilly that morning or something - but the jacket's open?

The skid lid is because The Man forces him to wear it. The (p?)leather jacket doesn't look like a motorcycle jacket, so it's more likely just something he has in his closet for when it's a little chilly out. And then the rest of it, the track pants, white socks&crocs, kind of all falls into place.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I bought a tire on eBay because the seller undercut Revzilla by 40 bucks, and I was worried that maybe it would be a really old one or something and that's why it was so cheap, but it arrived today and the date code is only 8 months ago. :coal:

Also the BT46 only came out in like uhhhh 2020 so I knew it couldn't be that old, but still.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Finger Prince posted:

The skid lid is because The Man forces him to wear it. The (p?)leather jacket doesn't look like a motorcycle jacket, so it's more likely just something he has in his closet for when it's a little chilly out. And then the rest of it, the track pants, white socks&crocs, kind of all falls into place.

Florida has no helmet laws so this is even more wtf. Like it’s still kinda half rear end cus me personally I’ll never wear anything other than a full face but everything else is so :wtc:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Anita Dickinme posted:

Florida has no helmet laws so this is even more wtf. Like it’s still kinda half rear end cus me personally I’ll never wear anything other than a full face but everything else is so :wtc:

Yeah I don’t understand those helmets at all. I was at Cycle Gear yesterday and they had some on the shelf. I think my bicycle helmet is actually more protective because at least it has MIPS.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

I guess either he wants to protect his head, but not too much, and not his face either, just a lil bit of the top,

or he's Bad Boy Brad and it's specifically part of the look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpOBgvHmqf4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also we have this company in San Francisco now called Revel that has scattered a bunch of electric scooters all over the city. Actual traditional scooters, not the Bird/Lime kick ones, with 3kw motors. The only thing you need to rent them is a driver's license and a half hour training session in a parking lot with a company rep -- no prior experience on two wheels.

So just now I followed a guy on one for about 2 miles as he wobbled his way down a five lane road, never once lifting his feet off the ground. I wonder what his shoe soles look like

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Sagebrush posted:

So just now I followed a guy on one for about 2 miles as he wobbled his way down a five lane road, never once lifting his feet off the ground. I wonder what his shoe soles look like

:staredog:

(Get a gopro)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anita Dickinme posted:

If you ask him it's almost certainly some variation on "muh wife makes me wear a helmet."

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Lime has mopeds in Paris. I was like YEP.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just apropos of nothing, took the DRZ out today and felt like a superstar. Confidence was there. Was really pleased with the bike after rebuild, and my first ride of the year was entirely without self doubt, hesitation, or fear.

Think it’ll be a good year for two wheels.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

The only thing you need to rent them is a driver's license and a half hour training session in a parking lot with a company rep -- no prior experience on two wheels.

You don’t even need that, unless they changed their rules. When I created my account I just had to watch some YouTube videos and promise to follow the traffic laws.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Opopanax posted:

Note to future self, drain these next year

loving ethanol

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Good news, we're getting E15! https://www.reuters.com/world/us/biden-allow-higher-ethanol-fuel-sales-summer-check-gas-prices-2022-04-12/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Always. Drain. The bowl.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My pilot jet just pushed out a little play-doh tube of green gunk. Pretty sure I found my problem!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dumb but serious question, the placement of the jets pulls fuel from the bottom of the bowl sufficiently such that you always have fresh fuel replenishing from above, right?

Or is there still enough stagnant fuel not being sucked up that it’s good practice to regularly drain despite regular usage? Which, I guess, the concept of someone designing a system like this is so bizarre that maybe I answered my own question there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Draining the bowl and regular usage are opposite things. If you're using it regularly you don't need to think about draining the bowl, these problems don't happen from riding the bike thankfully.

I've said this before ages ago but it bears repeating: the single worst thing you can do to a motorcycle is not ride it for extended periods of time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Squarely in the “sensible” camp.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yesterday while riding, the motor cut out on the goldwing for a couple seconds and then came back, resulting in a backfire that sounded like a 12 gauge shotgun.

As cool as that was, the cut out is worrying. However; the clock reset itself when that happened, which makes me think power losss more than I think “ecu dying” or whatever, so I’m hoping it’s something simple like a battery connection has come loose, and not some bullshit deep in the wiring loom.

I will admit as soon as the engine came back I went “welp, gotta sell it now”. I hate troubleshooting electric stuff.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 13, 2022

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yesterday while riding, the motor cut out on the goldwing for a couple seconds and then came back, resulting in a backfire that sounded like a 12 gauge shotgun.

As cool as that was, the cut out is worrying. However; the clock reset itself when that happened, which makes me think power losss more than I think “ecu dying” or whatever, so I’m hoping it’s something simple like a battery connection has come loose, and not some bullshit deep in the wiring loom.

I will admit as soon as the engine came back I went “welp, gotta sell it now”. I hate troubleshooting electric stuff.

I hope it is just a loose battery lug, but if the mouse infestation was as bad as you said it was it'd be a miracle if the little shits didn't chew on your wiring harness somewhere.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
random rear end short to ground. Start the main switch and its wiring.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just grab a few spools and rewire the whole works. Good weekend project.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Engine swap a marine 2 stroke diesel. Presto changeo no electrics needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mirconium posted:

Engine swap a marine 2 stroke diesel. Presto changeo no electrics needed.

That was a championship winning formula invented by an old fashioned kiwi battler :bahgawd: :nz: