Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Preliminary trip report on SAM in 6.1: I still miss my magical anime Kaiten animation, but 4+ years of Kenki management is getting thrown out the window in a good way. And while the potential burst is lower, it's wild blowing up a group pack with full crits of Guren, Namikiri, and double Tenka. We'll see how parses shake out, but my first impression is that it trips the lizard brain just fine.

Other than that, it *seems* like Trusts are AoEing a bit more, at least in the new dungeon.

Also, subtle change (6.1 new dungeon): The WoL's original Duty Complete animation returns! Makes sense now that the Source and the First (and really all the shards) have been saved. Nice detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Vitamean posted:

fwiw you can do crystal conflict as a group, but it has to be a full 5v5 premade set up via party finder.

Wait, does that mean queuing as a single full group of five, or queuing as two groups of five together to specifically play against each other?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

W.T. Fits posted:

Wait, does that mean queuing as a single full group of five, or queuing as two groups of five together to specifically play against each other?

It means setting up a private game in Party Finder, you can't queue with 2+ people no matter what

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

you need two groups of five (plus spectators if you want)

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Uh, is there a way to get my PvP to the new default automatically. Don't really feel like doing this by hand.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

power serge and crewel slice are some of the worst puns they've ever put into the game, my god

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Vitamean posted:

you need two groups of five (plus spectators if you want)

Okay, next question - does doing it this way give you credit towards the various PvP rewards, or is it basically just an exhibition match?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Okay, next question - does doing it this way give you credit towards the various PvP rewards, or is it basically just an exhibition match?

that's a very good question! do we have ten people on primal right now that can do a run? (not me I'm remoted in from work and I'll just weigh down my team lol)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Vitamean posted:

that's a very good question! do we have ten people on primal right now that can do a run? (not me I'm remoted in from work and I'll just weigh down my team lol)

I'm on Crystal, and even if I wasn't I'm stuck at work for another 90 minutes.

I'm sorry to keep bothering people about it, it's just me and my FC and some of our non-FC friends were looking forward to doing this together and being told, "No, you can't queue with friends, and oh by the way, here's a highly desired emote locked away behind the PvP rewards" has a lot of us very salty in Discord right now.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Jesus Christ what are you guys posting so hard and fast about that I have 500 unreads?

Lol the wolves den was packed to the gills in a way I've never seen before. Also interesting that the heavy melee and tanks are the clear armor winners for garo. First set bought was drg, time to start winning some mounts

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vitamean posted:

The pvp site specifies that custom games award no pvp exp nor count toward achievements.

Also if your only concern is the emote you can at least still do frontline with friends.

E: actually they define pvp exp and series exp separately so I guess the jury is still out. Though I have to assume custom games don't grant series exp.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 12, 2022

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

The pvp site specifies that custom games award no pvp exp nor count toward achievements.

Also if your only concern is the emote you can at least still do frontline with friends.

I suspected as much, but still figured it was worth asking.

And it's not just the emote, it's the fact that this looked like something fun we could do in small groups (we're not a large FC), and being told, "No, you can't," is really disheartening.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

I suspected as much, but still figured it was worth asking.

And it's not just the emote, it's the fact that this looked like something fun we could do in small groups (we're not a large FC), and being told, "No, you can't," is really disheartening.

It's because people would default to fixing matches rather than actually engaging.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
As a non friend haver getting smashed by 5 stacks in games sucks balls but duos are pretty reasonable imo

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

hazardousmouse posted:

It's because people would default to fixing matches rather than actually engaging.

Yeah, in Ranked. But we don't give a poo poo about Ranked, we just wanted something small scale we could do together for rewards, win or lose, and Casual would have been great for that.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

6.1 but thou must pick the catboy! I had to try...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I imagine that, especially right now, they really want to try and hook as many casual people as possible into at least doing Crystal Conflict occasionally to try and keep queue times low and engagement high, and the absolute fastest way to dynamite that goal is to put people up against shitstomping 5-stacks as their first impression. I can see them potentially relaxing queue requirements further down the line, but not for a while.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Cape Westwind: The Return of the Revenge. It's now a four phase fight, lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vte92bankn4

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vermain posted:

I imagine that, especially right now, they really want to try and hook as many casual people as possible into at least doing Crystal Conflict occasionally to try and keep queue times low and engagement high, and the absolute fastest way to dynamite that goal is to put people up against shitstomping 5-stacks as their first impression. I can see them potentially relaxing queue requirements further down the line, but not for a while.

Again though, I feel like it's a waaaay bigger turnoff to not be able to play with your friends in an MMO. I'm complete rear end at pvp and I'd much rather lose with friends than win solo.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Vermain posted:

That does make some sense. PvP was never a big feature in FFXIV, so maybe they didn't think there'd be enough interest in it. Hopefully they'll add or change the queues when Season 2 starts at the latest, though maybe they need a full patch to do it and they wouldn't be able to until 6.2.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The new PvP rocks. Is there only the one arena so far?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Again though, I feel like it's a waaaay bigger turnoff to not be able to play with your friends in an MMO. I'm complete rear end at pvp and I'd much rather lose with friends than win solo.

The problem is and remains that the more you allow people to team up in PvP the easier it is for it to be unfun for anyone to play, It sucks but the other choice is the pubstomp discord communication group.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Consummate Professional posted:

The new PvP rocks. Is there only the one arena so far?

There's three. They'll rotate daily, like the Frontlines do.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

6.1 but thou must pick the catboy! I had to try...

We did promise.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Onean posted:

There's three. They'll rotate daily, like the Frontlines do.

Not daily. It's every hour or something.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
yeah I can't imagine that even duos would outnumber those solo queueing, especially at this point and in this game. If CC is successful and continues to be successful after the shine wears off then I can see them adding it, but for now it's for the better.

As for CC itself, only played one game so far but it and the pvp action changes kick rear end. I especially love how short the games are.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I think that's the big thing. Even if you're gunshy about pvp, each match is very short and it's worth dipping your toes in just for the emote.

if you don't want to touch 5v5, then frontlines is as accessible and mob-friendly as it's ever been.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

CJ posted:

Not daily. It's every hour or something.

Oh! I could have sworn they said it was going to rotate on the same schedule the Frontlines did in the last PLL, which is daily. Maybe that was a mistranslation or I misunderstood. (I just checked the DF, it's every 90 minutes it changes.)

MechaX posted:

End 6.1 MSQ Spoilers: YoshiP: So we are totally serious, Zenos is dead for real.
Me: Oh okay, that makes se-
YoshiP: BUT HIS VOIDSENT AVATAR THO

YoshiP was very explicitly not answering any specifics about Zenos' Voidsent in interviews. I think he even outright said he couldn't due to future plans? Either way, when that very first teaser at the start of the 6.1 MSQ popped up I figured that's what was going on. I wasn't expecting to get confirmation this patch, though.

Different 6.1 closure thoughts:
How likely will the Criterion Dungeons be us exploring the Thirteenth? They're coming in 6.2, and we're ostensibly going there in the next step of the story, so it could fit.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Man, my work schedule has me away from my PC until tomorrow night at the earliest for any real time to do anything. Salty I’m missing day 1 of a new patch but so it goes.

Anyone have eyes on average number of bidders in the private Ishgard wards?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MechaX posted:

End 6.1 MSQ Spoilers: YoshiP: So we are totally serious, Zenos is dead for real.
Me: Oh okay, that makes se-
YoshiP: BUT HIS VOIDSENT AVATAR THO

Yeah, that's about what I expected.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Cape Westwind: The Return of the Revenge. It's now a four phase fight, lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vte92bankn4

Oh wow they made him kinda cool. Can't believe he's a shonen character now.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Seems they're already doing the prepwork for Data Center Travel. My friend list is showing the friends on the DC I transferred away from!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Yoship made a comment that he didn't want it to be unfair to new players apparently, but if you're really worried about that just limit it to 2 or 3 person groups or something (and keep Ranked solo only). I feel like not being able to play with your buds in an MMO mode is gonna do a lot more to turn off casual players than losing to two good players who queued together.

Because getting stomped by a coordinated group in casual mode is very much no fun. If anything, ranked should allow groups to match with other groups.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
gently caress me the astro PvP double cast is cool, gimme double cast in regular content

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Tamba posted:

Because getting stomped by a coordinated group in casual mode is very much no fun. If anything, ranked should allow groups to match with other groups.

Again, group Ranked isn't a great idea. The Feast had rampant win-trading. From my understanding, if you weren't participating in the grift you may as well not play if you were at all interested in your ranking, it was that bad. Since that community already exists, giving them another outlet would almost certainly lead to the same problem all over again.

Group Casual is more palatable, though likely best served by being it's own queue if there's enough demand for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TGLT posted:

gently caress me the astro PvP double cast is cool, gimme double cast in regular content

Only if WHM gets its giant fuckoff super laser.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Tamba posted:

Yes the way to square the circle of "I want to play with my friends" and "I don't want to be stomped by premades" is to require there be a premade on both teams, e.g. if you queue as 5, you're guaranteed to be matched against another 4 or 5-man premade. For a 5v5 game duo queue will typically have no statistical advantage over solo queuers so it should just be allowed, especially since smurfing is unlikely to be a thing in FFXIV.
edit:

Onean posted:

Again, group Ranked isn't a great idea. The Feast had rampant win-trading. From my understanding, if you weren't participating in the grift you may as well not play if you were at all interested in your ranking, it was that bad. Since that community already exists, giving them another outlet would almost certainly lead to the same problem all over again.

Group Casual is more palatable, though likely best served by being it's own queue if there's enough demand for it.
Feast had rampant win-trading because the rewards were locked to the top 100 players on each DC, so there was a very strong incentive to wintrade. afaik there are no exclusive rewards for ranked crystal conflict, so if you choose to wintrade...ok? you get nothing. you will have no impact on anyone who isn't wintrading.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 12, 2022

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

imo there should've been a group queue but it should be casual only

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Onean posted:

win trading is just how it's done in any mmos pvp. you just box those dudes off in their own area and try to make the rest of the system fun for everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

let's see those plates people