Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

France with some big "we're helping too guys!!" energy
https://twitter.com/JakOSpades/status/1513909566274256902?s=20&t=0atVDHPDuGWEdVhmW_kbjg
The article is so dismissive though, it's delightful
Machine translation:

quote:

France has already spent around 120 million euros to help the Ukrainian army fight against the Russian invasion, according to information from L'Opinion. Since the start of the war, the French authorities have refused to communicate on the amount and nature of military assistance to Ukraine: our information is therefore neither confirmed nor denied by official sources. Other European countries have been much more transparent about the aid provided to Kyiv.

French aid is of several kinds. One of the most important contributions relates to satellite imagery . France has several observation satellites (Helios, Pléiades and CSO) which allow it to provide images several times a day to the Ukrainian general staff. It is likely that this will take place in close collaboration with the allies, in particular the Americans.

Light missiles. At the material level, France delivered at least three types of light missiles. Old Milan anti-tank systems (French-German manufacture) and Javelins, more recent machines acquired in the United States during the war in Afghanistan and stored since then. Mistral Very Short Range Anti-Aircraft Missiles (SATCP) were also supplied. We do not know the volume of these deliveries, but it is probably not very high, given the low ammunition stocks of the French army, pointed out by a recent parliamentary report.

The supply of its weapon systems was accompanied by the training of Ukrainian military personnel called upon to implement them. This took place before the start of the Russian invasion on February 24. “We did not sit idly by, even if we were not sure that Russia was going to attack”, assures a source familiar with the matter. It is unclear whether these trainings have continued since then and the conditions under which they were delivered.

In addition, fuel and uniforms were provided by France to the Ukrainian forces. On the other hand, no transmission systems: these come mainly from the United States, which thus ensures the security and control of the networks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

DiHK posted:

you can't really do anything about "racist grandpa" and this fits under that heading

uh

uh you know Mel Brooks wrote The Producers, right

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Azov sea is a uh, sea. It's not about the Azov Battalion, who is named after the sea.

oh, he just really loves the sea and tweets about it all the time. that does make more sense.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

forest spirit posted:

uh

uh you know Mel Brooks wrote The Producers, right

What do YOU think I am trying to say? Because I don't think it matches with what I am actually trying to say about giving Mel Brooks a pass on doing Nazi salutes.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
What the gently caress is happening

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

What the gently caress is happening

Some very off topic nonsense that will cease please :)

Edit: Content - apparently the US Defense official briefing is going on right now and I thought this was interesting
https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1513891765530546184?s=20&t=kQTH8kk68Wn9u6ZpSbxqNQ
I wonder if they don't trust their aim when Russia's own troops are so close to areas they would target? Or if they were flying a bunch out of Belarus and now that a lot of poo poo's been moved out of there they've dropped the sortie rate? Unclear.

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 12, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Crespolini posted:

oh, he just really loves the sea and tweets about it all the time. that does make more sense.

It's very likely that it's because the city is the scene of probably some of the heaviest fighting that we know about, has held on stupidly long, and because from what we know the only Ukranian military forces in there are the Azov battalion and some Ukrainian Marines.

So yes, they get mentioned a lot because they are currently in like one of the major hotspots of the war, and have been for a bit.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm usually a thread lurker, but I am a thread regular and I just want to say the moderation has been exceptionally good in this thread, big props to KitConstantine and pals

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Crespolini posted:

Why do we care about some twitter rando

I don’t know why they post what they post, you’re the one that follows them

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Barudak posted:

Fine, I'll bite, who the gently caress is Peter Coffin and why should I care?

They're someone who kicked themelf in the nuts repeatedly on steve harvy's tv show big time

IK Edit: Peter Coffin's pronoun's are They/Them btw

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why do we care about some twitter rando

I don’t know why they post what they post, you’re the one that follows them

To be fair he is a Ukrainian reporter on the ground. He's also from the area around the DPR and has visited Mariupol, which is part of why he's so focused on that area.

In other news - MAPS
https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1513896679476723713?s=20&t=0atVDHPDuGWEdVhmW_kbjg
Again, not much change. Likely to stay that way for a couple days now that the bridge in Russia got blown up :getin:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Yup. Thread has gotten a lot better since Kit took over

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

It's very likely that it's because the city is the scene of probably some of the heaviest fighting that we know about, has held on stupidly long, and because from what we know the only Ukranian military forces in there are the Azov battalion and some Ukrainian Marines.

So yes, they get mentioned a lot because they are currently in like one of the major hotspots of the war, and have been for a bit.

Also, in general the various militias and other groups (Azov, the Kadyrovtsy, the various foreign volunteer groups, DNR/LPR separatists, etc.) have gotten outsize attention during the war because they are the ones broadcasting much of the war footage--the members of the mainline militaries for both sides have been relatively quiet, presumably for OPSEC reasons.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Okay this is :krad:
https://twitter.com/Arslon_Xudosi/status/1513891449061978115?s=20&t=0atVDHPDuGWEdVhmW_kbjg
COTS = commercial of the shelf. The fact that it holds at least 3 munitions is pretty fuckin slick for a garage modded drone too.

edit: I feel weird acknowledging compliments but thanks guys. It honestly hasn't been that hard, ya'll have been solid. I only *bonk* because I :love:

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 12, 2022

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Crespolini posted:

is this gimmick fun to do

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The left's response to the war has been so bewildering. I see so many people who I thought had normal brains cheering on Kadyrovites, and when I try to tell them that they're cheering on death camps for gay people (not to mention Bucha-type situations), all I get is "Mr. Politics Understander has logged on" or "What about Azov" other such responses.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

where are you all even finding weirdos who support war crimes, and why are you talking to them?

i know a poo poo ton of progressive anticapitalists and none of them support putin for the really obvious reasons

are all the people youre talking about on twitter or something?

i keep hearing about how "the left" is pro-putin but i sure havent seen it

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
twitter signal boosts divisive opinions so you get angry and engage which helps their numbers

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

"Mr. Politics Understander has logged on"

lmao deifnietly adding this one to my repertoire

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

ScareKonstantin
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1513917595459674124?s=20&t=0atVDHPDuGWEdVhmW_kbjg

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Achmed Jones posted:

where are you all even finding weirdos who support war crimes, and why are you talking to them?

i know a poo poo ton of progressive anticapitalists and none of them support putin for the really obvious reasons

Yeah, like I know an actual Russian person with family in Russia and they're pro-Ukraine/anti-Putin so wtf.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Achmed Jones posted:

There are some differences of opinion, so to speak, among the users on this very website.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Not saying "the left" in general, but I saw people and sources who went from sounding normal to acting like that happen overnight.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

https://www.ft.com/content/e87fdc60-0d5e-4d39-93c6-7cfd22f770e8

Apparently UA forces foiled russian thermal camera drones with yoga mats.

(hmm can canon dslrs do thermal? :thunk:)

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Everyone is like no we can't do that putin gonna get mad and do a big nuke. We better let him be a psycho piss baby cos if we don't he will nuke something!

Guess what idiot bozos? We got nukes to but putin doesn't scared of them at all and does anything he wants. Well I know how to fix it all big time. We gotta nuke a city but not Russian one oh no we nuke our own city. Then we tell pootin we gonna start nuking everything, his cities, our cities. We don't give a gently caress.

Pooptin will back down cos of being more crazy than him. Also we nuke the north pole.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DiHK posted:

First of all, I am so bored with Larry Davids schtick but I don't wanna say anything about it because "jew hater". Anyway, sitcoms suck, moving on.

At one point I was watching a number of lefty tube people, including Peter Coffin. Then they all got a bit unsufferable so I stopped paying attention (this was around the time that the internet dweebs crucified that trans babe for doing satirical nazi cosplay).

Anyway, did Peter swallow the tankie pill? Sad if true.

pete swallowed the tankie pill a couple years ago because pete was chasing the money train and because they always takes the dumbest opinion. they will be a nazis in a year or so.

Achmed Jones posted:

same and most of the lefties i am friends with hate them too but its good to laugh at loud assholes sometimes because it makes them scurry away and sometimes even learn actual lessons.

KitConstantine posted:

To be fair he is a Ukrainian reporter on the ground. He's also from the area around the DPR and has visited Mariupol, which is part of why he's so focused on that area.

In other news - MAPS
https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1513896679476723713?s=20&t=0atVDHPDuGWEdVhmW_kbjg
Again, not much change. Likely to stay that way for a couple days now that the bridge in Russia got blown up :getin:

my guess is most of the action right now are skirmishes and ambushes of russian poo poo. also mauripol. eventually russia will try to go on the offensive again once they get enough volkstrum in line.

Edit: Peter Coffin's pronouns are they/them. Please do not misgender thank you

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 12, 2022

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Let's just gather a common enemy and nuke the moon like we were going to way back but then chickened out. Moons gonna take one for the team.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

TheSpamalope posted:

Everyone is like no we can't do that putin gonna get mad and do a big nuke. We better let him be a psycho piss baby cos if we don't he will nuke something!

Guess what idiot bozos? We got nukes to but putin doesn't scared of them at all and does anything he wants. Well I know how to fix it all big time. We gotta nuke a city but not Russian one oh no we nuke our own city. Then we tell pootin we gonna start nuking everything, his cities, our cities. We don't give a gently caress.

Pooptin will back down cos of being more crazy than him. Also we nuke the north pole.

Thank you, Mr Trump the invisible jets are inbound!

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Crespolini posted:

Azovstal Steel is a steelworks located in Mariupol, it has nothing to do with the nazis.
Mariupol Garrison, who he is talking about, is also not Azov Battalion, though I wouldn't be surprised if they kind of consolidated forces at this point so it likely has some nazis in it.
Mariupol is in the news a lot, was a large city of close to half a million vs the reported Azov Battalion membership of 2k~, so i'm not sure why you would assume hes a crypto-fascist for posting about it.

Ghost of Upstate
Aug 19, 2010

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

The left's response to the war has been so bewildering. I see so many people who I thought had normal brains cheering on Kadyrovites, and when I try to tell them that they're cheering on death camps for gay people (not to mention Bucha-type situations), all I get is "Mr. Politics Understander has logged on" or "What about Azov" other such responses.

it's been insanely disheartening. I wasn't really great friends anymore with the people I know who did this heel-turn, but a lot of them are LGBT or claim to be allies, and evidently the reputation of the birthplace of communism or what the gently caress ever is much more important than human rights. you can't even point it out because they'll immediately be like "ummmm sweaty where did I say I support homophobia? I'm bi actually," and just leave out that they don't care about death camps as long as they're not personally affected.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Lima posted:

https://www.ft.com/content/e87fdc60-0d5e-4d39-93c6-7cfd22f770e8

Apparently UA forces foiled russian thermal camera drones with yoga mats.

(hmm can canon dslrs do thermal? :thunk:)

Normal digital camera sensors are sensitive to infrared, but only the shorter (non-thermal) wavelengths. They also usually have an internal filter for blocking even that bit.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

They're not "leftists" especially if they get sneery or are super pro-dictator, they are war crimes fetishists whose beliefs are malleable based on which strong daddy they idolize.

Winged radical politics are a lie anyway, statistically you're someone's apparatus even and especially if you're specifically anti-sphere, anti-leader, or 'being a battle karen' in any way.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 12, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Reading Tass is like falling into a fever dream...
https://tass.com/society/1436015 -- Ukrainian military torturing Slavyansk residents for pro-Russian views — Russian top brass
https://tass.com/politics/1436063 -- Evidence of staged events in Bucha is multiplying — Russian deputy envoy to UN

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

Not sure if this is a bait but have you seen the discussion in some of the other subforum on this very website?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes, it's Azov, but them and the Ukrainian Marines are the ones in Mariupol.

This is :nms: as it has video of the victims discussing their injuries and thus I'd consider it newsworthy.

code:
https://twitter.com/Polk_Azov/status/1513796108086038533?s=20&t=pxAeEepRRpJ2KQRLw2FKxQ

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

bad_fmr posted:

Not sure if this is a bait but have you seen the discussion in some of the other subforum on this very website?

Nah, and I'm thankful I haven't ventured far outside of this thread.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
You’re not missing much

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

are you trying to say that brokebrain twitter and cspam are representative of "the left" in any meaningful way?

if yes, lol that's dumb

if no, what relation does it have to my comment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Captain Kosmos posted:

There was a poster that had a friend that liked bearded soldiers.

The beard is not that big, but was hoping that the other guy's mustache makes up.

same guy? (second video has dead russians in flames next to their APC)

https://twitter.com/antiputler_news/status/1513934908934266884