Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Rinkles posted:

I'm not sure whether it's the case, or mobo or something else that's responsible, but I realized yesterday that my PC maintains USB power delivery after turning off. I couldn't get that to work on my last PC regardless of what combination of bios and windows settings I tried, so that was a nice surprise.

This is a motherboard/BIOS setting and can usually be toggled. I like turning it off because it bothers me in a nerdy way that my keyboard and mouse are sitting there polling for input even when the main PC is shutdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

orcane posted:

A while ago someone posted a video of a DYI project to cool a PC with a regular household AC in one of the SHSC threads I follow. There are plenty of videos I can see, but I can't find this specific one: It was by a dad-son team who does other PC or DYI videos together, I think.

Does anyone happen to know them or the specific video?

Sounds like Tech Ingredients. I haven't watched it, but this may be the video you're thinking of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Jg0Qa6mts

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

What am I using the system for? Professional - Virtualization (something to run Proxmox or ESXi decently). I'd like the ability to spin up vm's for testing, etc, without it taking 10 minutes each.
Budget? $1000-$1500, can be flexible to some extent.
Gaming: Not with this, it'll run with no monitor after the initial install work.
If Professional work, which software? Proxmox (or ESXi).

I was originally going to build something around the AMD 5950X (or 5900X - 5900X seems the better value, 12 cores should be fine, but since I'm asking here, I'll start with the 5950X). Then I went down the Alder Lake rabbit hole, and I see support for the P-Core/E-Cores scheduling is due in linux kernel 5.18, which nudged me back toward AMD, then I spent more time splitting hairs over various parts of a build, etc.

So, I figured I'd ask for some wisdom. There are two Micro Center stores within 45 minutes of me, if that helps.

Build, so far:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($529.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL22 Memory ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital WD_BLACK SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Western Digital)
Case: Lian Li O11 Air Mini ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($110.72 @ Amazon)
Total: $1434.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-04-12 10:50 EDT-0400

Some notes:
I'm not loyal when it comes to CPU, if Intel makes more sense (or better price/performance), that's fine.
I picked the motherboard because it's got 4 m.2 slots, and having all the storage on those would be nice (so, nice to have, but I could be talked out of it.)
I didn't pick a video card, I have a GeForce 1660 Super in the spare parts box I can use for the initial build, or I can pick up something low-end if I need to leave a video card in it permanently.
I already have the case in the list, and the CPU cooler has clearance according to the documentation. Speaking of the CPU cooler, if an AIO water cooling setup would be better for the CPU, that's fine.

My thought for the build was more CPU cores would be better, but within reason (I saw a 24 core Threadripper in the cpu list on pcpartpicker, but I don't know that the extra $$ would be worth it.)

Thanks for taking the time to look this over, and for any advice you might have.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

eviltastic posted:

Sounds like Tech Ingredients. I haven't watched it, but this may be the video you're thinking of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Jg0Qa6mts
That was it, thank you!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cant believe how expensive a drat PCIe USB C card is, if you can even find one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

codo27 posted:

I cant believe how expensive a drat PCIe USB C card is, if you can even find one.

They seem to range from 25-50 bucks on Amazon. I suspect like a lot of low production items a lot of the cost is due to them not making a ton of them since new motherboards often include the port these days and it's rare to need it in a situation where an A to C cable wouldn't work.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Canadian amazon is often poo poo compared to the US version. Couldn't find much that wasn't too sketchy looking less than 70-80 bones. I did end up finding a cable that can take advantage of my dormant 3.1 gen 2 header on my board, hopefully running it across to the back panel wont be too perilous.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Anyone have recs for an air cooler besides the Fuma 2? It's out of stock at Amazon and I think I might just pull the trigger this week on a 12700K.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!
Remember, the thermal paste you use also can have a big impact on temps. I run the Arctic Freezer 2 280mm at 300-600rpm but use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste. Keeps the 12700KF under 30 degrees in normal use, sub 60 when gaming, and the fans are still at that level when gaming. On top of that the AIO radiator is on the intake of the case pulling air through the rad with the 2x AIO fans on the inside.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Had to call a ton of people but eventually found one who had a spare chip, and this worked. Thanks!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Wickerman posted:

Anyone have recs for an air cooler besides the Fuma 2? It's out of stock at Amazon and I think I might just pull the trigger this week on a 12700K.
Noctua is the gold standard. I'm going with a D15S on that chip, but I really like the performance of the U12A for its size.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I'm not crazy for wanting to build a 12700K-based PC before Ryzen's newfangled x3D iteration comes out, right? The PC will game some but the main reason I want a powerful CPU is for DAW usage. Not so keen on having to freeze and bounce my stuff all the time, disable plugins to be able to still work with the sound live and then re-enable them for rendering and hope it sounds like I want it to, just need enough juice and oomph to do the thing live. Enough so that I was considering a 12900K despite the expense and extraordinary power draw & heat, but I think I have talked myself into a 12700K as "enough." But I do see this Ryzen thing is right on the horizon and I wonder if there's any expectation that the results outside of gaming will be some kind of new impressive thing that I should wait for.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
You can drive yourself crazy speculating about what's next (see: Nvidia 4000 series chat). If you can wait for a full picture then do it, but it's not like what you buy now will suddenly be bad when a new product is announced.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Techpowerup has their full review up already, if anyone wants to check it out

The gist of it seems to be that in games it trades blows with the 12900K (and to a lesser extent the 12700), but there are some titles were it does significantly better. It's a fair bit behind in their non-gaming tests, though, "Intel's Core i7-12700K (or KF) is considerably cheaper than the 5800X3D and offers 14% higher application performance."

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
You're also stuck with an AM4 board if you buy now, though in fairness I have never managed to put two different Intel chips in a single motherboard over its useful lifetime.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I think I'm talking myself into the 12900K after viewing its capabilities at 190W, which I feel I can likely dissipate the heat from pretty well, and how close that gets to its full wattage while still giving significantly greater multi-core performance than the 12700K (and, I mean, it also does better single-threaded than the 12700K still too). I do not want crackling and interruptions in my DAW, which is very much reliant on core count and overall grunt there - ASIO tends to drop out well before processors are truly maxed, and having four more solid performing cores would be a great help in avoiding that - and I only build one of these things infrequently. My last build was 2015, from 2013 parts, used it ever since.

I think I'm going for the big boy. Forgive me value gods.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 13, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Agreed posted:

I think I'm talking myself into the 12900K after viewing its capabilities at 190W, which I feel I can likely dissipate the heat from pretty well, and how close that gets to its full wattage while still giving significantly greater multi-core performance than the 12700K (and, I mean, it also does better single-threaded than the 12700K still too). I do not want crackling and interruptions in my DAW, which is very much reliant on core count and overall grunt there - ASIO tends to drop out well before processors are truly maxed, and having four more solid performing cores would be a great help in avoiding that - and I only build one of these things infrequently. My last build was 2015, from 2013 parts, used it ever since.

I think I'm going for the big boy. Forgive me value gods.

I can’t speak to the DAW stuff, but a 12900k might actively hinder your performance here unless you can keep it cool. That chip runs hot as gently caress, for nearly 0 gaming benefit over the 12700k.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I'll do my best to keep it cool, aiming at PL1/2 190W max, maybe a bit lower - I think it will be a great performer for me if I can tame it on air with a NH-15D and a high airflow case, as those wattages have in testing I've read still shown solidly superior multi-threaded performance to the 12700K but ran a lot cooler than 240W+ as it wants to draw off the jump.

I spoke to an owner of a 12700k gaming and a 12900 studio PC who is using the same cooling setup I'm getting and he strongly recommended the higher core count CPU for running a bunch of plugins & vst instruments with both to compare, and it has been my experience that cores are good for the kinds of things I'm doing but that I will still need strong single-threaded for things like Phase Plant and other CPU-intensive VST synths (ASIO dropouts occur well before CPUs are maxed when running at low latency, trying to avoid that); personally, if I were just gaming I probably would have got a 12600K or something. Maybe wait for the new Ryzens to see if their improved gaming perf pans out. But I am trying to make life as easy as possible for my audio work.

Right now I'm having to freeze and bounce things to such a degree when working with multiple synth tracks and other instrument tracks plus FX plus reverb buses plus mix bus processors, which limits what I can do simultaneously and makes me rely on my ear and sense of it all in my head when I would prefer to be just able to work with it without that going on. It has become a serious workflow impediment as my compositions and mixing have become more ambitious and I'm willing to throw more cores at it and work with the thermals.

I'll let y'all know if I have nothing but regrets!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 13, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

New AntOnline bundle has a 3070 + 650W Gold PSU for $720: https://www.antonline.com/Evga/Computers/Video_Cards/Graphic_Cards/1447242

The PSU is worth about $90 or so, which makes this a more reasonable deal than a lot of the others on newegg and amazon right now. 650W is plenty enough for a 3070, and this lets you build a perfectly good 3070/5600X PC for $1300 - $1400 if you take advantage of Microcenter's $50 off select CPUs deal and their $20 off compatible motherboards deal too.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

At 1440p you are going to be bottlenecked by the gpu and the 5900x being discounted right now you can get really good game performance and excellent production capabilities and not have to bother with heat as much.

I honestly dont think you'll be able to get that sort of bang for your buck with the first Zen 4 chips. Definitely not production wise.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Would appreciate thoughts on this Lenovo pre-built: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/desktops/legion-desktops/legion-t-series-towers/legion-tower-5i-gen-6-(intel)/wmd00000496

I've got no eye for airflow, biggest point of concern to me was the storage at only 512GB but that's what my external drive is for.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 13, 2022

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I thought about building a new PC this summer, but now I've read Zen4 is coming later this year. Is it worth waiting for? I mostly do image editing and 3D, no games.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

busalover posted:

I thought about building a new PC this summer, but now I've read Zen4 is coming later this year. Is it worth waiting for? I mostly do image editing and 3D, no games.

There's no information about it yet so there's no way to know. It'll probably have DDR5 support like the Intel 12th gen stuff and be faster than the current stuff. In general, the best time to upgrade is when your current hardware isn't doing what you want. There's some good deals on current stuff due to AMD reducing prices and Intel having a competitive product out at the moment.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

busalover posted:

There's always something better coming around the corner. If it means waiting an extra couple of months or something then yeah maybe it makes sense to wait if you're happy with what you currently have, otherwise no go ahead and buy.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Re: My earlier post about not knowing iSanek well enough to feel safe I would actually get that 3080 10GB, I now know a lot more and it's horrifying:

https://observatory.mozilla.org/analyze/isanek.com

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Shumagorath posted:

Re: My earlier post about not knowing iSanek well enough to feel safe I would actually get that 3080 10GB, I now know a lot more and it's horrifying:

https://observatory.mozilla.org/analyze/isanek.com

ISanek also has a webstore on amazon.ca so you could buy via that rather than their sketchy site. Might not have all the same stuff though.

Kinda miss the late 90s/early 00s in vancouver when there were a gazillion little pc part vendors all competing bloodthirsty deathmatch style. Then ncix took over :sigh:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Their own site seems to lag their Amazon / BestBuy / NewEgg setups quite a bit if that card is any indication. The thing was long gone from their inventory and still on PC Part Picker.

There seem to be one or two vendors trying to get out from under Canada Computers in the GTA for the first time in ~15 years, but frankly CC has never done me wrong and they stood up to the mob shakedowns on College St way back in the day. My last build was entirely through NCIX but they went under less than a year later.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 13, 2022

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Rexxed posted:

There's no information about it yet so there's no way to know. It'll probably have DDR5 support like the Intel 12th gen stuff and be faster than the current stuff. In general, the best time to upgrade is when your current hardware isn't doing what you want. There's some good deals on current stuff due to AMD reducing prices and Intel having a competitive product out at the moment.

Butterfly Valley posted:

There's always something better coming around the corner. If it means waiting an extra couple of months or something then yeah maybe it makes sense to wait if you're happy with what you currently have, otherwise no go ahead and buy.

Ok, fair enough. If Zen4 isn't some cataclysmic change, I'll start looking.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Asking for a bit of a sanity check.

I'd entered the EVGA queue a while ago for a 3070 (https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P5-3767-KL), and it finally popped. Is GPU availability and pricing finally settling down enough that I should hold out and wait for a cheaper one, or is scarcity still a big enough issue that I should just suck it up and get one while I have the chance?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
That's only $80 above MSRP. Just go for it imo

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Since I'm procrastinating on pulling the trigger while hoping I can get lucky and get a founder's edition I had a question.

I know the benchmarks show the 3080 as a better than the 3070, but in terms of actual use is there that much of a difference for gaming?

My main thoughts with aiming for a 3080 was just for longevity to go as long as possible before needing to upgrade again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Things are better, but an EVGA 3070 right from the manufacturer is still a good deal and I'd grab it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Floppychop posted:

I know the benchmarks show the 3080 as a better than the 3070, but in terms of actual use is there that much of a difference for gaming?

...yes? The benchmarks aren't lying, there's a clear gap between them in terms of performance. As long as you have a 1440p + monitor capable of pushing high frame rates, you'll see the benefit to a 3080 over a 3070. Both are excellent 1440p cards right now but at 4k the 3070 will struggle compared to the 3080. There's plenty of games that I don't max out my 1440p 144hz monitor on with the 3080.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 13, 2022

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I wasn't thinking of the benchmarks as lying, more akin to having a car that can do 200 doesn't matter much if the speed limit's 65.

I need to upgrade my monitors too, I honestly don't know their exact specs, but they still use DVI connections... They're old.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Would appreciate thoughts on this Lenovo pre-built: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/desktops/legion-desktops/legion-t-series-towers/legion-tower-5i-gen-6-(intel)/wmd00000496

I've got no eye for airflow, biggest point of concern to me was the storage at only 512GB but that's what my external drive is for.

The Lenovo prebuilts are generally pretty bad.

busalover posted:

Intel is generally better in this regard, especially the 12th gens.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Yeah OK like I said then it depends on what monitor you're driving. 1440p ~170hz monitors are the sweet spot atm (check in the monitor thread for more specific advice) and you'd definitely need a 3080 to come close to pushing that in most games. I was never a framerate junkie having only been gaming on an Xbone and Switch before building my PC but I definitely appreciate the difference and benefit now to higher frame rates, especially in FPS games and the like. In slower paced single player third person games it doesn't matter so much.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah OK like I said then it depends on what monitor you're driving. 1440p ~170hz monitors are the sweet spot atm (check in the monitor thread for more specific advice) and you'd definitely need a 3080 to come close to pushing that in most games. I was never a framerate junkie having only been gaming on an Xbone and Switch before building my PC but I definitely appreciate the difference and benefit now to higher frame rates, especially in FPS games and the like. In slower paced single player third person games it doesn't matter so much.

Even doing work and moving the mouse around on a high-refresh-rate monitor feels nice, I have a 170 Hz Gigabyte M27Q next to a secondary monitor that's only 75 Hz and the difference is night and day. Even scrolling through web pages is more satisfying.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I also have a 3070 and a 170 hz 1440p, so the max framerate I can push can vary quite a bit depending on game. Between that, lots of settings experimentation in said games with the new card, and, my previous time with them on a GTX 780, I've had a pretty good variety of FPS data points in recent memory.

So far my subjective impression is that stable 60+ is key, 90+ is better, and past that I start to see real diminishing returns. The more the merrier of course, but you absolutely do not need to be maxing out your monitor at all times. They're both great cards for your use case, and the upgrade is nice but not necessary, so imo you have to let your wallet be your guide

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

change my name posted:

Even doing work and moving the mouse around on a high-refresh-rate monitor feels nice, I have a 170 Hz Gigabyte M27Q next to a secondary monitor that's only 75 Hz and the difference is night and day. Even scrolling through web pages is more satisfying.

I have this exact monitor next to a 60 hz Dell, and I have to consciously look for the difference during desktop work. You can see it, and will if you want to, but it's not going to change your life. The great color and brightness of the M27Q vs the dated secondary screen are way more noticable in day to day use (if that helps as a reference point, idk).

I'm also not sure how relevant this post is in the first place, since both cards that OP is looking at will run the desktop at 170 and exceed 75 fps in most games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

So far my subjective impression is that stable 60+ is key, 90+ is better, and past that I start to see real diminishing returns. The more the merrier of course, but you absolutely do not need to be maxing out your monitor at all times. They're both great cards for your use case, and the upgrade is nice but not necessary, so imo you have to let your wallet be your guide

For sure, both cards can definitely produce framerates in many games that are well into diminishing returns in terms of any tangibly visible benefits. However there's plenty of games I've been playing on my 1440p monitor which even with my 3080 are sub 90fps - off the top of my head, Halo, The Ascent, Cyberpunk, Control and Flight Simulator - where I would definitely notice the lower framerates I'd get with a 3070. Not that they'd be anywhere near intolerable, and of course I'm talking about totally maxed out settings here, but there is a return on the extra investment.