Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Rafale C and Mirage 2000D are in the "scoundrel" fleet every Star War game has, Eurofighter Typhoons are one of the piece of poo poo knockoff fighters that faction always has. You need a cheat code for the F35 but it might crash your Nintendo and cause your cartridge to explode.

e: gently caress what a snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always really liked the B-Wing design, although it didn't really get any cool moments in the movies and the a lot of the games kinda want to bury it as slow and unwieldy. It's weird and different and it's designed as a capital ship killer. Razor Rendezvous was one of my favorite missions. I think maybe somebody in the Rogue Squadron books complained about how the B-Wing was such a great ship that people were ignoring and I took that to heart.

EC Henry had his take on the B-Wing mk 2 as a bigger ship and dedicated bomber (since his take on a Resistance Y-Wing had it giving up that role) that he recently revised into a more adaptable long-term gunship.

Hazo posted:

Name one cool thing a Y-Wing ever did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=436HqrpQg-w

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

V-Wing is terrible, prove me wrong.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Rafale C and Mirage 2000D are in the "scoundrel" fleet every Star War game has, Eurofighter Typhoons are one of the piece of poo poo knockoff fighters that faction always has. You need a cheat code for the F35 but it might crash your Nintendo and cause your cartridge to explode.

All too new! Anything with a first flight after the early 80s is too modern for Star Wars (if we're keeping it OT era anyway). Why reach for modern(ish) Eurojank when the stuff from the 50s and 60s is already as "third faction Star Wars" as you can possibly get?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

All original trilogy rebel starfighters are created equal. All 4 are S tier ships

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The best -35.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
star wars fighters are ww2 pacific fighters: the x-wing is the Hellcat, y wing is the Dauntless or Avenger, a-wing is the loving...Corsair or something. Imperial fighters are Japanese with the TIEs as Zero being the most obvious.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Prolonged Panorama posted:

All too new! Anything with a first flight after the early 80s is too modern for Star Wars (if we're keeping it OT era anyway). Why reach for modern(ish) Eurojank when the stuff from the 50s and 60s is already as "third faction Star Wars" as you can possibly get?

This was my favourite fighter plane when I was a kid

and the Y-wing was always my favourite rebel fighter

I think I just like weird, scrappy-looking underdogs

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Barry Foster posted:

This was my favourite fighter plane when I was a kid

and the Y-wing was always my favourite rebel fighter

I think I just like weird, scrappy-looking underdogs

First one is an early model mig 21 with the forward hinged canopy, not a lightning

which for the record has a strange hole in what should have been a beautiful delta wing! :mad:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

thatbastardken posted:

star wars fighters are ww2 pacific fighters: the x-wing is the Hellcat, y wing is the Dauntless or Avenger, a-wing is the loving...Corsair or something. Imperial fighters are Japanese with the TIEs as Zero being the most obvious.

If we're going back to WW2 then clearly both X and Y wings are Lancasters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNdb03Hw18M :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Mosquitos :colbert:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
https://twitter.com/starwars_chars/status/1513937510539284481

Who among us

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1513944879826714636?s=20&t=Wo-_AfHcuD4VhHOtMnEr5w

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Kind or reminds me of Colin Cantwell's original concept art for 2-man "Star Destroyers".

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SlothfulCobra posted:

I always really liked the B-Wing design, although it didn't really get any cool moments in the movies and the a lot of the games kinda want to bury it as slow and unwieldy. It's weird and different and it's designed as a capital ship killer. Razor Rendezvous was one of my favorite missions. I think maybe somebody in the Rogue Squadron books complained about how the B-Wing was such a great ship that people were ignoring and I took that to heart.

I don't think it was even a thing in older Star Wars media/books/games before the sequel films, but I've noticed that lately they've really been leaning into the idea that the B-Wing cockpit gyroscopically swivels independently of the rest of the ship for easier flying and better weapons spread. In X-Wing and Rogue Squadron it just operated like an on/off switch for hyperspace/normal flight, but I know they talk about the swiveling in the Alphabet Squadron books and you get to see it up close in one of the newer scene additions in Disney's Star Tours where you follow behind one above Exegol.

Razor Rendezvous kicks rear end and the following mission where the Razor crashes into a beach and you do a bunch of low-atmosphere dogfighting owns too.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
spotted yesterday:

Spotted today:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They ended up doing the two-man stardestroyer fighters properly when they made the "first draft of The Star Wars" comic.

It's kinda weird how the franchise in general was pretty shy about multi-man fighters or bombers, so there's not a lot in between the size of one-man fighter and a full-on freighter like the Millennium Falcon unless it's a dedicated passenger vehicle.

Hazo posted:

I don't think it was even a thing in older Star Wars media/books/games before the sequel films, but I've noticed that lately they've really been leaning into the idea that the B-Wing cockpit gyroscopically swivels independently of the rest of the ship for easier flying and better weapons spread. In X-Wing and Rogue Squadron it just operated like an on/off switch for hyperspace/normal flight, but I know they talk about the swiveling in the Alphabet Squadron books and you get to see it up close in one of the newer scene additions in Disney's Star Tours where you follow behind one above Exegol.

Razor Rendezvous kicks rear end and the following mission where the Razor crashes into a beach and you do a bunch of low-atmosphere dogfighting owns too.

I guess that's the line of reasoning they came up with when they developed the Fang Fighter and its rotating guns. Just increasing the spread but maybe also some kind of maneuvering benefits.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hazo posted:

I don't think it was even a thing in older Star Wars media/books/games before the sequel films, but I've noticed that lately they've really been leaning into the idea that the B-Wing cockpit gyroscopically swivels independently of the rest of the ship for easier flying and better weapons spread.
It was a thing going back as far as the original toy. I think I first learned about it on the back of a pack of Micro-Machines in the mid 90s.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's kinda weird how the franchise in general was pretty shy about multi-man fighters or bombers, so there's not a lot in between the size of one-man fighter and a full-on freighter like the Millennium Falcon unless it's a dedicated passenger vehicle.
Both the Y-Wing and B-Wing were that in the pre-Special Edition canon, as are the ARC-170s and B/SF-17's in the new. Silly things like the Scurrg and the K-Wing were also multi-crew ships.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If we're going back to WW2 then clearly both X and Y wings are Lancasters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNdb03Hw18M :v:

Wildcat or Buffalo = Z95: tough, but obsolete and not competitive with the more agile TIE/Zero.

Hellcat = X-Wing: Tough, and with enough power and maneuverability to beat the TIE/Zero under most conditions.

Dauntless = Y-Wing: tough, slow, used for strike rather than superiority.

Avenger = B-wing: Modern, high powered, loads of munitions.

Corsair = A-wing: Fast as hell, agile, well armed...but tricky to fly.

Zero = TIE: Lethally armed, fast and maneuverable, but fragile.

Late War IJ Fighters = Advanced TIE, Interceptor, etc: Bring the balance of power back to the Empire, but are generally considered to be too little too late.

I can torture this metaphor a whole bunch more - light transports like the Falcon are Catalinas, that sort of thing.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Regarding ship speeds (and the Y-Wing going from a hotrod to the slow bomber portrayal it has now), this was the speed chart ILM put together while making Return of the Jedi:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Polaron posted:

Regarding ship speeds (and the Y-Wing going from a hotrod to the slow bomber portrayal it has now), this was the speed chart ILM put together while making Return of the Jedi:

The funny thing about that is how it was clearly ignored even before it was made, with the Falcon being a goddamned ballet dancer compared to a TIE.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

That's cool. The technique goes back a long way apparently - on the airport set of Casablanca, they had little people dressed as airplaine mechanics in the background so they didn't have to build full-scale airplane props.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I hope they got to keep the costumes and be the coolest kids on the block for Halloween.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dave Syndrome posted:

That's cool. The technique goes back a long way apparently - on the airport set of Casablanca, they had little people dressed as airplaine mechanics in the background so they didn't have to build full-scale airplane props.

They used it in Alien, too, so they didn't have to build the Space Jockey set in the derelict at full scale.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1514829522654269440
https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1515062120013959171

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Where’s Wicket?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Bigger Luke needed a bigger X-Wing. Pablo Hidalgo cannot fool me.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Rugikiki posted:

Where’s Wicket?

Vermin ate him.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SlothfulCobra posted:

EC Henry had his take on the B-Wing mk 2 as a bigger ship and dedicated bomber (since his take on a Resistance Y-Wing had it giving up that role) that he recently revised into a more adaptable long-term gunship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=436HqrpQg-w

The B Wing is my Big favourite

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/cNN2iLf.mp4

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Coming this May

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1517288011968376832

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 22, 2022

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

EC Henry has a interesting video the goes into design analysis of star wars vehicles, and touches on the real world military aviation inspiration for them, similar to this thread a few pages back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f80mfPYLqHg

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Holy poo poo I've been looking for this picture since forever. Thank you!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Somehow that never occurred to me as possible, but now no other way makes sense.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Arquinsiel posted:

Somehow that never occurred to me as possible, but now no other way makes sense.

Where did you think the poo went when the TIE pilots flushed?