Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Fire Giant has absolutely been my favorite boss to co-op against, camera issues be damned. I only wish I got some kind of compensation for getting him to phase 2 before he nukes the host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

khwarezm posted:

Demon of Hatred is honestly on basically the same level as something like the Tree Spirit when it comes to reading its attacks. I won't say its easy or anything but the boss is techically 'fair' in that regard, its just generally it really feels like a Dark Souls boss in the wrong game.

The thing about Demon of Hatred is you do at least get to fight him in a giant arena where you have plenty of space to keep your distance and read his attacks. The Ulcerated Tree Spirits are decent fights when given that much space but there are a few fights with them inside a shoebox where they will just straight up clip into the walls half the time.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I got this and I am pumped. The wife is even cool with me hanging it up in the living room.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I fought so many Ulcerated Tree Spirits that I ultimately learned their tricks, but I still never really found them enjoyable and I hate that kind of enemy where they are slopping all over the place with animations that don't make it very clear where the hitboxes begin and end, they remind me of the Pus of Man in DS3 in that regard.

It probably didn't help that my first encounter was with that one at the bottom of Stormveil Castle, which is one of the worst locations in the game to fight them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

khwarezm posted:

I fought so many Ulcerated Tree Spirits that I ultimately learned their tricks, but I still never really found them enjoyable and I hate that kind of enemy where they are slopping all over the place with animations that don't make it very clear where the hitboxes begin and end, they remind me of the Pus of Man in DS3 in that regard.

It probably didn't help that my first encounter was with that one at the bottom of Stormveil Castle, which is one of the worst locations in the game to fight them.

Same, I never enjoyed fighting pus of men, just blah.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
I spent a couple hours last night sunbroing the Draconic Sentinel fight and the most adorable thing kept happening. Invaders would show up, jump on the rock near the gate, then take a seat and watch us fight. Happened four or five times.

Thank you rando invaders for not ruining my host's shot at the boss. I wanted to bow to them afterwards, but we always get dismissed too quickly. :golfclap:

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
As someone who's never been able to get into a From title before (played like ten minutes of the DS remaster and DS3 combined), I find the complaints about ER bosses kind of confusing. Their design is clearly varied and I jected with bullshit to counter the extra tools that players are getting in spirit ashes, various spells, status effects, etc. People complaining about how hard Astel is as a melee user seem to ignore the fact that you can get Radahn's bow well before the fight and even the odds up.

I saw someone on YouTube accuse From of being lazy in their boss design, but much like that 2 hour video someone posted about all of the flaws of ER's boss design philosophy, it feels more like content creators realizing they can get views by posting contrarians takes to a well received but often frustrating game than like, actual critiques.

Melee users that get mad at the Astel fight somehow not realizing they can switch to a greatbow (or loving Radahn's bow, which they have access to at that point) or people calling Malenia out as impossible bullshit just strike me as out of step with the rest of the game that emphasizes using a variety of tools to get through stuff. I did enjoy the Elden Beast fight and didn't think torrent would add much to it so there's probably something wrong with my brain though

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mr. Crow posted:

A pro tip for anybody complaining about enemies/bosses stabbing you in the face when you try and heal: it's an easy bait just hold circle or whatever and run backwards, then heal. Overwhelming majority of bosses you can just run to put distance between you and heal, the distance required to bait it and not get it hit varies but it's pretty reliable and the range window is semi-consistent. Do it a few times and you'll get the timing. I think this works on basically every "human'ish" enemy? I can't remember it not working on one of them anyway, I'm sure there are exceptions.

Pretty sure there is a boss or two who will instantly leap over and stab you even from 100ft away in the first few frames of the healing animation. A knight somewhere in an evergaol does it I think.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if you are talking about crucible knight, his closing moves go very far but you can outrange them

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Wonder if the reason Godwyn was chosen to be killed was because he's the only non omen child between Marika and Godfrey? He's the only demigod without a known curse until he's cursed with undeath as well.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Two big things about Placidusax/Farum Azula

Placidusax was “Elden Lord in the age before the Erdtree”. In other words, he was lord of the Crucible by the Greater Will. Farum Azula was his royal city. He then lost his god and, apparently, his nerve for ruling. Following this, Godfrey became Elden Lord and the Age of the Erdtree began.

The Ruin Greatsword description, which is a literal chunk of Farum Azula, says

quote:

Originally rubble from a ruin which fell from the sky…The ruin it came from crumbled when struck by a meteorite

So Farum Azula was hit by a missile from above and fell from the sky, which is why its bits are all over Limgrave and Liurnia. Placidusax lost his god and retreated “beyond time” into a crumbling ruin full of death. In other words, God hit the dinosaurs with an asteroid and that’s why man came to rule the earth.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

skasion posted:

Two big things about Placidusax/Farum Azula

Placidusax was “Elden Lord in the age before the Erdtree”. In other words, he was lord of the Crucible by the Greater Will. Farum Azula was his royal city. He then lost his god and, apparently, his nerve for ruling. Following this, Godfrey became Elden Lord and the Age of the Erdtree began.

The Ruin Greatsword description, which is a literal chunk of Farum Azula, says

So Farum Azula was hit by a missile from above and fell from the sky, which is why its bits are all over Limgrave and Liurnia. Placidusax lost his god and retreated “beyond time” into a crumbling ruin full of death. In other words, God hit the dinosaurs with an asteroid and that’s why man came to rule the earth.

I thought Godfrey was the lord of the crucible time, because the crucible knight armour references the crucible knights being his dudes. Unless they were just paying tribute to the earlier primal crucible.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SHISHKABOB posted:

Something I just noticed was that Margit has a move with his big scorpion looking tail that is reminiscent of one of the Crucible Knight arts that spawns a big tail or whatever.

The crucible knights are from pre-erdtree days, and being “Cursed” as an Omen seems to have actually been a blessing in the pre-erdtree days. I think I might be getting this a bit mixed up

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

you roll into the attack in the beginning so i know you know how that works

Yeah but at this point you wanna see how many times he can do it in a row

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I thought Godfrey was the lord of the crucible time, because the crucible knight armour references the crucible knights being his dudes. Unless they were just paying tribute to the earlier primal crucible.

Yeah I’m pretty sure Godfrey did most of his heroic exploits in the Crucible era. The Erdtree comes about as a direct result of him and Marika burying or subduing everyone else, dragons, godskins, giants, sorcerers, etc.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Angrymantium posted:

As someone who's never been able to get into a From title before (played like ten minutes of the DS remaster and DS3 combined), I find the complaints about ER bosses kind of confusing. Their design is clearly varied and I jected with bullshit to counter the extra tools that players are getting in spirit ashes, various spells, status effects, etc. People complaining about how hard Astel is as a melee user seem to ignore the fact that you can get Radahn's bow well before the fight and even the odds up.

I saw someone on YouTube accuse From of being lazy in their boss design, but much like that 2 hour video someone posted about all of the flaws of ER's boss design philosophy, it feels more like content creators realizing they can get views by posting contrarians takes to a well received but often frustrating game than like, actual critiques.

Melee users that get mad at the Astel fight somehow not realizing they can switch to a greatbow (or loving Radahn's bow, which they have access to at that point) or people calling Malenia out as impossible bullshit just strike me as out of step with the rest of the game that emphasizes using a variety of tools to get through stuff. I did enjoy the Elden Beast fight and didn't think torrent would add much to it so there's probably something wrong with my brain though

You'd be doing better at the moment to talk about how Elden Ring is a perfect game with no problems, its still in its honeymoon phase and that is what most people making videos are saying about it.

The complaints I think are valid, its definitely the case that From has had to ratchet up the core boss difficulty to meet the increase in player power that things like ashes introduce, but along the way that kind of leaves behind people who prefer, say for example, reasonably vanilla sword and board playstyles with fairly slow weapons feel unreasonably punished in comparison to something like an int/dex hybrid with a focus on bleed weapons. I don't really think that the additions have been great when it comes to creating a fun and engaging game, one of my problems with Ash summons is that the Elden Ring AI is really stupid so the enemies can't engage in much target prioritization and get really bogged down with multiple opponents, so it can make a lot of fights extremely trivial and kind of feel like your not playing the game so much as getting an NPC to play it for you. But if you don't use it it then feels really punishing and you're just not playing the game correctly in doing so.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

vandalism posted:

I got this and I am pumped. The wife is even cool with me hanging it up in the living room.

And yet you choose to not link the item

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

here is some valid elden ring criticism finally

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1513653744524828681?t=UIBbgIr7jZ8BnNCIawVHLA&s=19

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Angrymantium posted:

Fun response to both Astel fighting and designs: Which Astel lol

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Sockser posted:

And yet you choose to not link the item

I got it from here:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MsnailArt

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

khwarezm posted:

For me, I think it's the best location because its a long hallway where I can just run to the other side if i need a breather or if it's going to explode. It's where I learned their entire movement set. The runback sure sucked though!

boloney
May 29, 2021

GreatGreen posted:

Found a video that sums up my opinions about it pretty well. Extreme highs and extreme lows all in the same game.

His deconstruction of exactly why a lot of the boss fights are poorly designed is spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEyjdc-DIb8

100% agreed with his boss fight criticisms, especially the combo extensions. He doesn't show Morgott in the video but he is far and away the biggest offender - he can tack on his like 9-hit "oh your guard is broken" punisher combo onto literally any of his other moves. The video guy is right that it simply becomes a dice roll on trying to punish enemy combos and the game often doesn't reward you for trying to learn patterns

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I am not upset, just disappointed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

2house2fly posted:

So why was Godwyn killed specifically? I haven't found any lore about what he was like in life that would have made him a target, so based purely on the name Godwyn The Golden I'm figuring he was the most loyal of Marika's children to the Golden Order and so if someone wanted to act against the Order he would be the most likely to oppose them, so either Marika or Ranni wanted him out of the way before things kicked off

I'm getting close to the end of the game and getting the itch to clear up my lore Qs

That is my theory too. Regardless how Marika may have felt about filicide, Godwyn was the eldest son of the first Elden Lord, champion of the Golden Order and the Dragon Cult, and would be the number one barrier to revolution. Remove him, break the ring in "grief" real or pretend, and let civil war tear down the old ways.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
By the second Erdtree in Calid, there's a ledge you can jump down on the side towards Rahdan. On that ledge was a thing (possibly an end point for a painting, can't remember) and a golem that was too tough for me to kill at the time. Does that golem drop anything? I'm tired of dying over and over trying to get back down there.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

War Wizard posted:

By the second Erdtree in Calid, there's a ledge you can jump down on the side towards Rahdan. On that ledge was a thing (possibly an end point for a painting, can't remember) and a golem that was too tough for me to kill at the time. Does that golem drop anything? I'm tired of dying over and over trying to get back down there.

I feel your pain, worst platforming in the game for me. No, he drops gently caress all and is not worth it to fight if you don’t kill him the first time

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

skasion posted:

I feel your pain, worst platforming in the game for me. No, he drops gently caress all and is not worth it to fight if you don’t kill him the first time

Thanks, good to know. He just murdered my face again after my 6th attempt down.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm massively overleveled for the area, but I finally got around to murdering Godrick. That was a pretty fun fight, got him on my second try. :toot:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Malenia: "I am Malenia, blade of Miquella".
Internet Commenter: Man Melania's Waterfowl Dance is some bullshit huh
Malenia: "I am Malenia, blade of Miquella"
Internet Commenter: Hey how do you dodge Melania's rushdown move that makes those metal grinding sounds that attack keeps hitting me
Internet Commenter: This fight is really hard can I just hit Melania with Scarlet Rot or s-
Malenia: *grabs Internet Commenter, throws them up and impales in midair them while glaring* "Malenia. MALENIA. M-A-L-E-N-I-A"

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
I completed the volcano manner quests, except for the snake girl one, and am wondering if it’s worth doing the whole legacy dungeon or should I just go straight for the blasphemous blade and be done with it?

I’m way over leveled for it, I’ve already gone thru the capital, so it’d really just be for funzies/completionism it appears.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I am Melania, blade of Miquella.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

so I was doing gimmick invasions in the hallway to the final boss fight and ended up invading the Radagon fight itself lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lo0YHbo5lg

Weird that you cant even see Radagon there, I guess the game isn't designed to even load bosses for invaders.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

khwarezm posted:

I didn't have any problem with the on in the castle basement because there was enough room to back up and see how it moves. The one in the little room at the bottom of the hero's grave in the beginning cave is impossible because the camera never gets far enough away to see the entire thing. All I ever see is a close-up view of a randomly bouncing patch of skin.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

Malenia: "I am Malenia, blade of Miquella".
Internet Commenter: Man Melania's Waterfowl Dance is some bullshit huh
Internet Commenter: Hey how do you dodge Melania's rushdown move that makes those metal grinding sounds that attack keeps hitting me
Internet Commenter: This fight is really hard can I just hit Melania with Scarlet Rot or s-
Malenia: *grabs Internet Commenter, throws them up and impales in midair them while glaring* "Malenia. MALENIA. M-A-L-E-N-I-A"

:lol:

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Referring to it as the Crucible Era might be confusing, because I think the Crucible has been present on the Lands Between since time immemorial. The crucible created life on whatever planet The Lands Between is on. The crucible was around before the Dragonlord Dynasty Era even began and after it ended.

It does seem like there was a period of interm time between "Eras" where the Dragonlord Era ended, but the Erdtree Era had not begun. This is the time period in which Marika used Godfrey's strength to rise to power and start the Era of the Erdtree.

In this case the word Era is almost being used like "Dynasty" or "Reign". It refers to the period of time in which a dominating empire ruled the lands.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

I struggled with Radahn more than any other boss in this game, for whatever reason, and I see these videos with dudes literally one shotting him and think "wow thats cool From made a game so good that supports such a variety of playstyles that what I found difficult doesn't necessarily reflect on the game or boss as a whole?! Maybe next time I'll be less dogmatic about my specific playstyle and try switching it up or whatever"

Seriously look at this video this is amazing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlJ4n213Aj0

This owns, but I'm not sure "gather this exact combination of late-game items to beat this early/mid game boss" counts as a playstyle. It's cool that the game allows you to do this, but it's outside the gameplay experience of 90% of players.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Elden ring bosses ratcheted up the complexity compared to older dark souls bosses with the "release valve" of ash summons to turn the difficulty down because the boss AI sucks at handling multiple targets. In previous games using a short sword vs ultra greatsword or magic didn't feel like you were holding yourself back but in elden ring it does because of hit boxes or bosses punishing you for being in melee range. And I personally find waiting for a boss to switch focus to hit them in the backside a bit one dimensional but it doesn't feel like every weapon or style is viable solo.

This is where the git gud comments start but at the moment I feel capped out on how much gud I can get.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So uh..

Should my pure Sorc build with 67 int suddenly feel basically useless when I arrive at Consecrated Snowfields?

Regular dudes I used to one shot take 3 pebbles. Stone imp dudes in the Catacombs take 2 Comets and a Pebble.

It feels like I’m suddenly doing barely any damage.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Angrymantium posted:

Nah I agree, EB was good.

Maybe not post Radagon/finale good but I don't get the complaints about the boss itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

All I can say is that anybody who is thinking of doing a pure huge weapons caveman build is to go for it. There's a lot of people saying this is a terrible game for it but it's actually fantastic. Get yourself the Starscourge swords and you've always got an amazing thing to fall back on while you explore the huge amount of fun and giant weapons in this game. Shields are better than they've ever been and the jump button has elevated huge weapons to god status. My 2nd guy is a fai/arc mad prophet build and the winged scythe is nice and all but hot drat it's annoying that I have to use my WA to stagger anything and have to sometimes hit things more than twice to kill them. No I will never do a dex build.

Cowcaster posted:

isn't malekith considered one of the finest fights in the game even among the malenia haters

Malenia would be one of the most beloved fights in the game I think if she had Maliketh's health pool or even if just waterfowl dance was made to be slightly less of a death sentence (like Maliketh's big thing is) while you're learning how to deal with it. She's not lacking for moves that would become the new bane of the fight but the rest of those are a lot more fun to deal with.

Naturally, these and all other problems are solved with a generous application of double Giant-Crushers, one of which has bloodhound step because obviously that's the sort of weapon you'd expect it on. I like Maliketh, pure damage race, right up my alley. If I'm tired of fighting a boss or just don't have time to beat my head against it I'll bust out a funny summon and/or Ol' Reliable - Fingerprint Shield+greatshield talisman+Heavy Lance with whatever ashes and grease makes sense for the fight.

If I could wave a magic wand and change one thing about Elden Ring bosses I'd make waterfowl dance a bit fairier. If I could change 2 things I'd make Godfrey's phase 2 refill his health bar as well so we all get more time with that delightful fight as well