Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
And then you use the save game editor to delete the containers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

dexefiend posted:

And then you use the save game editor to delete the containers.

I would say I never used the save game editor, but we had a few death crates get stuck (way) under the terrain, so those got edited back to the hub.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Wow, I stand here corrected and outdated, yikes.

Appreciate the updated info, thank you. And also boooo on the "no fun allowed" doggo patch. If people want to be monsters, let them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Should be allowed but only if you make your own giant basketball net to toss them through

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I hate the idea of killing lizard doggos but the Let's Game it Out video was hilarious so it is kind of a shame that they just made you unable to get rid of nuclear waste that way. Especially because they give you the waste sometimes!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone here using the Refined Power mod? How do the models fit visually into the main game? Also, I guess it's pretty game breaking by introducing green power? And does it affect game stability, because it seems they wrote parts in C++?

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Last time I got to nuclear power I just built a bunch of storage containers chained together where based on my waste output rate it would take months of actual play time to fill. It seemed right, since they were planning something like that IRL with that mountain.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, I've just started a new game from scratch, and I have a container-smelter-constructor-container conga line for iron plates, and the loving smelter regularly stops working when I leave the starter site to fetch stuff. And I'm out of a clue as to why.

--edit: Welp, a single copper ore blocking the hopper.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 8, 2022

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

If you highlight a loaded belt segment with the deconstruction tool, the tooltip will tell you what’s on it, it’s a fast way to check and see if there’s a Shadow Ore blocking a feed when you’ve got something which seems like it shouldn’t be a problem.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Messing about with the Refined Power mod, but these wind turbines keep loving breaking. I can't imagine whether the modular power stuff is gonna be worthwhile, if that simple poo poo can't work straight.

--edit:
First hard drive gives me cast screws! :woop:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 9, 2022

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
First time I played I kinda petered out before getting to trains.
I just built my first single track with a loop at both ends, simple stuff.
Have been watching vids for ideas and this one was just amazing.

I can't imagine the time it took to plan and build it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhY65G8fByY

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I made a split ring around the island in my old save, that I eventually never used, since I'm starting over right now. There were quite a few hours being spent on this (the planning was pretty YOLO) and it took several freight cars of resources to bring along (concrete and steel pipes and beams).

Suspiciously little factory in that video, tho.

Also, I still wish the game would eventually add DLSS. I capped the frame rate to 60hz for giggles and my system wattage dropped from 700W to 600W. Dropping the internal render resolution by half via DLSS and then going back to 120hz would be appreciated.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

OgNar posted:

First time I played I kinda petered out before getting to trains.
I just built my first single track with a loop at both ends, simple stuff.
Have been watching vids for ideas and this one was just amazing.

I can't imagine the time it took to plan and build it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhY65G8fByY

I'm pretty sure this is the blueprint for it: https://satisfactory-calculator.com/en/blueprints/index/details/id/1260/name/New+Global+Railway

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

That blueprint thing is amazing.

How it works is that you download the blueprint, then upload your map into the interactive map on the same side, then on the left side you can import blueprints and paste it to the grid. All the buttons are on the left side of the map.

For a worldwide railroad, I would suggest this, fewer pre-made stations: https://satisfactory-calculator.com/en/blueprints/index/details/id/1219/name/Worldwide+Rail+Network+%28160km%29

I hooked it up to my existing network and will move over to that. I struggle enough with rail that just the idea of making a world spanning one is one of the things keeping me from playing. Some projects feels like chores.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

nielsm posted:

Why a drop pod would be carrying a barrel of waste on board is the next good question.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Just make a convoluted way to launch the nuclear waste into the sun or something 💁

:thunk:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Update 6 reveal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkMTFsxa7rQ
tl;dw:
- They're moving away from big content updates to try to focus on checking things off in preparation for 1.0
- This update is focused on exploration
- Creature behavior and art updates, possibly new creatures
- Equipment updates possibly including more body slots
- In game map updates
- Spire coast rework is going to totally gently caress any factories previously built in that area, nodes will move
- Cosmetic rain, maybe?
- early June release

Honestly even without any big content included I'm really looking forward to this one. The exploration is a big part of why I love the game but it definitely could use some improvement. He does mention radar towers, I hope they get reworked to do *something* useful (personally I hope they end up like scanner rooms in Subnautica with the HUD upgrade), and even just one more body slot would make a huge difference.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

ive been holding off on starting a new game until the terrain rework after the jank that was my desert start so im happy to hear it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think I like the proposed change to make clockspeed linear.

At least, I think being able to make more compact factories without the cost of power usage might help alleviate some of the friction of creating large manifolds, and will certainly make chasing down slugs feel a bit more worthwhile?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Slugs were definitely a big factor in my latest multiplayer game I played. Any time I planned out a new production chain I almost always burn out halfway through and just slug the last few machines out of laziness.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

I think I like the proposed change to make clockspeed linear.

At least, I think being able to make more compact factories without the cost of power usage might help alleviate some of the friction of creating large manifolds, and will certainly make chasing down slugs feel a bit more worthwhile?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that one. My use case for overclocking is basically "Do I feel like building another of these y/n? If N then overclock" without regards to power but anything that reduces overall consumption would be nice.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The problem I'd run into is that I'd go "it'd be nice to overclock this....but that would be inefficient!" so I barely used the feature outside of edge cases where it'd make numbers work out better.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Yep I'm 100% down with it, if for no other reason than simplifying the system.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Might finally be able to use turbofuel in the jetpack with the coming changes to equipment. A small improvement which would make exploration a lot easier.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I like that overclocking comes with a penalty to power efficiency. If I can do just as much with half the machines (assuming there's enough slugs in the worldf) then why run at normal speed at all? That said, running 100 constructors at 1% is a ridiculous idea no matter how much power it saves. Maybe use linear for underclocking but keep the current formula for overlocking would be the way to go. Or just put a hard floor on how low the machine can run in terms of power consumption.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Have they teased any performance updates by any chance? I haven't played in like a year now because my world got big enough that I started getting really bad stutter and lag, even at minimum settings, and I can't afford a new cpu, so I'm kinda hoping and praying for some optimization stuff so I can actually play again.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Enjoying my first foray into a map wide rail system but by the time I logged off my trains had crashed for the 3rd time at a new Sulphur station.
Not sure why they are crashing at this intersection, may just have to spread the connection out more.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Have they teased any performance updates by any chance? I haven't played in like a year now because my world got big enough that I started getting really bad stutter and lag, even at minimum settings, and I can't afford a new cpu, so I'm kinda hoping and praying for some optimization stuff so I can actually play again.

They said they were working on some small things like foliage rendering, I don't think that would make much of a difference in your case but you never know

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wyld Karde posted:

I like that overclocking comes with a penalty to power efficiency. If I can do just as much with half the machines (assuming there's enough slugs in the worldf) then why run at normal speed at all? That said, running 100 constructors at 1% is a ridiculous idea no matter how much power it saves. Maybe use linear for underclocking but keep the current formula for overlocking would be the way to go. Or just put a hard floor on how low the machine can run in terms of power consumption.
There isn't enough slugs in the world. You're going to have to be picky what you overclock regardless, so IMO they should be more beneficial. It'd make the system more engaging/useful in the early game when you're particularly power strapped, and probably shouldn't change as much in the late game when building for power is presumably a bit easier?

Linear for underclock, current for overclock reflexively feels like the worst solution to me since it basically just seems like a nerf.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It could be interesting to go with a hybrid approach to overclocking - you can overclock anything without slugs, but at a power curve even steeper than the one currently in use. Then with slugs it becomes a linear relationship.

(Would also be cool if you could turn slugs into increased output with the same input but that's the Factorio in me talking)

ymgve fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 22, 2022

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

There isn't enough slugs in the world. You're going to have to be picky what you overclock regardless, so IMO they should be more beneficial. It'd make the system more engaging/useful in the early game when you're particularly power strapped, and probably shouldn't change as much in the late game when building for power is presumably a bit easier?

You can get as many slugs as you want if you don't mind setting up a lizard doggo pen.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Freaksaus posted:

You can get as many slugs as you want if you don't mind setting up a lizard doggo pen.
Eh. I'm still fine with it since it sounds like most players are not going to go that route.

Or honestly, that sort of effort is fine being rewarded. Having to stamp out giant manifolds is kind of lame and anything that reduces that tedium is good IMO.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

We set up a doggo pen early in our latest game and it's literally just passive income. Every once in a while once of us will wonder what the doggos have for us and we check them out. Must have earned over 200 shards worth of slugs over that playthrough for 0 effort, except for wondering what to do with the nuclear waste we sometimes got.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Hmmmm. I see some subtle downsides of linear overclock power (absent other changes):
1. Makes some of the alt upgrades much less interesting. There are a decent number of alts where the bonus is "well you don't save material, but it produces way faster". What you're buying when you take those alts is basically a free OC.
2. No reason not to just go 250% on everything, if you have the slugs. There's no tradeoff that makes 150% or 200% into appealing midpoints.
3. Makes the Mk progression of miners less good.

OTOH the downsides of exponential power are really clear when you start building big refinery & blender factories. That poo poo is painful to OC, and building 100 refineries gets kinda tedious.

I can think of non-linear systems that I think would be the ideal balance, where the scalefactor goes down as base power goes up. So for example the 4MW constructor is unchanged, but the 30MW refinery has an lower exponent of 1.3 so it only uses 100MW at 250% -- still "inefficient" but much less so.

But that has a massive problem

Ice Fist posted:

for no other reason than simplifying the system.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
There's always the option of cheating yourself a storage container full of power crystals to get around the power slug limitations if you want to make a huge project without destroying your framerate. I'm on my fourth save at this point and two of the three previous ones were close to unplayable by the time I finished my final projects and abandoned them. Maybe it's unbalanced but it would be nice to do endgame stuff at higher than 10fps.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Does anyone actually know whether the factory simulation is multithreaded? If there's factory partitions, i.e. stuff that isn't directly connected by belt, but instead by vehicles (truck, train or drone), they can pretty much run on their own spread across available cores, because there's nothing to strictly sync between them.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

OgNar posted:

Enjoying my first foray into a map wide rail system but by the time I logged off my trains had crashed for the 3rd time at a new Sulphur station.
Not sure why they are crashing at this intersection, may just have to spread the connection out more.

Put a train where they crash and manually drive another, and you'll find out pretty fast. My guess is a corner being just a tiny bit too close.

But I thought that the new signals would show those cases as part of the same block even when across different rails.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone know if the modding for this game will allow people to make their own custom maps? Ark had a few great maps come from the community back when I played

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Combat Pretzel posted:

Does anyone actually know whether the factory simulation is multithreaded? If there's factory partitions, i.e. stuff that isn't directly connected by belt, but instead by vehicles (truck, train or drone), they can pretty much run on their own spread across available cores, because there's nothing to strictly sync between them.

I don't think the factory simulation is multi-threaded, but I also don't think it needs to be. Even a large factory with a lot going on isn't really that computationally intense to simulate. It's the rendering that's the tough part.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Dunno-Lars posted:

Put a train where they crash and manually drive another, and you'll find out pretty fast. My guess is a corner being just a tiny bit too close.

But I thought that the new signals would show those cases as part of the same block even when across different rails.

For the life of me I could not figure out what the problem was. I ended up routing one connection of the intersection underneath and then merging rather than just a straight T junction.
Has been running an hour with no crashes now.
While I was doing that another set of trains stopped working which WAS 2 opposing routes too close together.

Maybe if I would just pave over the whole map instead of trying to keep some natural elements intact for view.
That would make it a lot easier.

Also I have been getting a lot of key errors which after a few searches shows that its been going on for years.
https://questions.satisfactorygame.com/post/617b316f831c852052355430

While those problem are for the Use key I'm pretty sure its using 2 keys at the same time that just randomly bugs out.
I have had my Use key stop working on various occasions with only a reload to fix it.
When It stops I have tried changing it to another and that key to a movement and while movement worked the new Use key still didnt.
I also occasionally cannot attack or jump while running, which makes fighting spitters a real pain.
That one fixes itself after a short bit, but the Use key only after a reload.
Not major problems but still annoyances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Klyith posted:

2. No reason not to just go 250% on everything, if you have the slugs. There's no tradeoff that makes 150% or 200% into appealing midpoints.

One quibble with this. One of the main reasons I was overclocking in the late game was to make nice/neat ratioed load balancers, which led to some funny overclock numbers. If your only consideration is fewest machines for space efficiency then yeah, slugs are the only real blocker.

That being said, the only real consideration now is slugs and power. But at a certain point I had more than enough power where I stopped worrying about overlocking and consumption in general. I just went and built a real big power plant and stopped caring.

Honestly I could live with non-linear power growth with manufacturing processes. What I'd MOST like to apply it to is power generation which iirc gets a little weird when you overlock it. You could make the same argument that making power plants have a linear power curve would mean all you need is slugs and the right amount of inputs but this is already true of power plants. There's no real downsides to overlocking besides some real funny looking ratios.