Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

I'm thinking about Aliens.

Owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pennywise the Frown posted:

From the stickied coming soon thread.
Aww come on mine's right in the OP :(

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Splicer posted:

Aww come on mine's right in the OP :(

Ah sorry. Missed it!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Zombie Guy posted:

I'm thinking about Aliens.

This morning while walking the dog, I heard a woodpecker knocking away on a tree above me, and it sounded suspiciously close to the Predator's chatter.

Plot twist: there legit was a cloaked Predator in the tree

Plot twist #2: the Predator was hunting your dog, not you

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Plot twist #3: Your dog was hunting the Predator =O

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Ah sorry. Missed it!
I don't need your pity quote!!!

No wait yes I do don't take it back

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Xenomrph posted:

Plot twist: there legit was a cloaked Predator in the tree

Plot twist #2: the Predator wanted to give you delicious candy

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

My dog is a 10 lb Chihuahua, so I don't think a Predator would consider him a sporting target.

However, my dog would absolutely go after the Predator, because he has a warrior spirit, and gives Zero Fucks about how small he is.

If a Predator wants to give me candy, I'm cool with that, I just want to see the candy first before I get in the van. I'm not falling for that twice.

e: my fierce guardian

The Zombie Guy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 9, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Zombie Guy posted:

My dog is a 10 lb Chihuahua, so I don't think a Predator would consider him a sporting target.

However, my dog would absolutely go after the Predator, because he has a warrior spirit, and gives Zero Fucks about how small he is.

If a Predator wants to give me candy, I'm cool with that, I just want to see the candy first before I get in the van. I'm not falling for that twice.

e: my fierce guardian

That dog is a stone cold killing machine, the Predator would absolutely consider him worthy prey.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m watching aliens on FX rn

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MarcusSA posted:

I’m watching aliens on FX rn

They were playing something that I think I liked that can't remember and then Alien was on after it. Sometimes they play Aliens after Alien. I think it was FX. Not sure. I saw it on my TV guide but I'm crack streaming UFC right now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pretty sure they said resurrection was next but I can’t stay around for that.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MarcusSA posted:

Pretty sure they said resurrection was next but I can’t stay around for that.

Don’t bother the kung-fu was bad.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

"The kids are being a little too quiet in the other room, I'd better poke my head in and see what they're doing..."

The kids:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Did anyone else play that game as a kid?

We called it pinfinger.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

We did it with sharp pencils but I can't remember what we called it

Lotta folk running round my home town with lead still embedded in their hand

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Has the Pat Cadigan x William Gibson Alien 3 script book version been discussed, and if so what was the opinion, I'm very tempted to buy it.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Did anyone else play that game as a kid?

We called it pinfinger.

We did it all the time but growing up poor we never had a table to do it against so we used our knees

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, after I watched the trilogy at a sleepover with my grade school buddies, I think the following week like three of us got sent to the principal's office for playing the knife game with sharpened pencils.

The principal: "Have you got anything to say for yourself, young man?"
Me: "How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Haven't seen Aliens in quite a while so I just turned it on.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Any good?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I was surprised. It was actually really good!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Please do not turn on the Aliens

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Luckily, fuboTV has both Alien and Aliens available to watch, you can put together your own Alienathon if you subscribe to them..

Something I saw in the non-special edition of Aliens that fuboTV is showing is that Ripley mentions that they followed a beacon to LV-426, 57 years ago..

So the events of the first movie happen, and roughly 37 years later colonists plop their asses down on that same planet, and they spend 20 years building the atmosphere processors but only happen to stumble across the alien ship years after they've arrived?

You'd think Mother would have gotten off a signal to Gateway Station regarding that beacon and Weyland-Yutani would have come out to LV-426 sooner after the Nostromo goes after the beacon and never comes back.. lost in bureaucracy?

I'm willing to believe that maybe Burke somehow stumbles on the initial discovery going through the com logs and somehow buries Mother's message, but nudges another division (the atmosphere processor guys) to that planet.

I'm thinking about Aliens, but I find if I think about it too much, the whole premise is dodgy.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 13, 2022

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Splicer posted:

Please do not turn on the Aliens

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Binary Badger posted:

Luckily, fuboTV has both Alien and Aliens available to watch, you can put together your own Alienathon if you subscribe to them..

Something I saw in the non-special edition of Aliens that fuboTV is showing is that Ripley mentions that they followed a beacon to LV-426, 57 years ago..

So the events of the first movie happen, and roughly 37 years later colonists plop their asses down on that same planet, and they spend 20 years building the atmosphere processors but only happen to stumble across the alien ship years after they've arrived?

You'd think Mother would have gotten off a signal to Gateway Station regarding that beacon and Weyland-Yutani would have come out to LV-426 sooner after the Nostromo goes after the beacon and never comes back.. lost in bureaucracy?

I'm willing to believe that maybe Burke somehow stumbles on the initial discovery going through the com logs and somehow buries Mother's message, but nudges another division (the atmosphere processor guys) to that planet.

I'm thinking about Aliens, but I find if I think about it too much, the whole premise is dodgy.

The beacon got deactivated. there are actually three ways that happened - in the script and novelization for ‘Alien’, Dallas turns it off, in James Cameron’s notes for ‘Aliens’ it was damaged by seismic activity (and the Derelict is visibly damaged in the director’s cut) and the “canonical” explanation is that the beacon gets shut off by a second crew that stumbles across the Derelict during a flashback in the videogame Alien Isolation. Without the beacon, the Company didn’t know where the derelict was anymore, and they set up the Hadley’s Hope colony by sheer dumb luck. It was hidden behind a mountain range relative to the colony’s location which is why no one went looking for it until Burke told them to after Ripley got picked up and filled everyone in.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/hopskotchsunday/status/1515832701017747462?s=21&t=WBvoeS-3_xWyZf3bfc4tqA

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Giving Isolation another playthrough. For the first time, I find the graphics to be slightly dated - but only in the sense that there's a tiny bit of aliasing or aberration around vent textures and other closely-placed lines - there's a term for this that I can't remember, but it's present on my 4K TV to a degree that does bug me a tiny bit.

Fantastic otherwise though. Atmosphere, soundtrack, voice acting, all top-notch. I don't know what changed from the last time I played (maybe it's that I'm medicated now) but the little jump scares and orchestra/waterphone hits are more impactful than I'd expected from a game I've beaten three times. When you disable the security lockdown and the xenomorph officially becomes 'in play', I watched it kill those two scavengers and then immediately turned off the game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m thinking about Aliens, and how I’m going to watch Prometheus in 4K for the time on Alien Day (4/26).

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Xenomrph posted:

I’m thinking about Aliens, and how I’m going to watch Prometheus in 4K for the time on Alien Day (4/26).

It’s amazing how much whining there is about this movie and characters actions when the most egregious failure was the director omitting a Idris & Charlize gently caress scene.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Also in the wake of the last 6 years of politics and a global pandemic and the public response to it, I think peoples’ reaction to “characters doing obviously dumb poo poo” has softened a lot.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
photoshop a MAGA hat on the navigator and suddenly it makes sense

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nuts and Gum posted:

It’s amazing how much whining there is about this movie and characters actions when the most egregious failure was the director omitting a Idris & Charlize gently caress scene.

I was talking to my brother the other day about Predators. How there were some real good moments with Adrien Brody.

It gets some hate but Laurence Fishburne gets some good lines in.

Spooky story about space marines and preds. It works.

I need to rewatch it. And then watch Aliens as a mouth cleanser.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Adrien Brody kiiinds rules

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

‘Predators’ is cool and good, the only thing it’s missing is a ‘Predator 1’ style cast list at the very end before the credits roll.

https://youtu.be/N9YsrGHmwIg

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

‘Predators’ is cool and good, the only thing it’s missing is a ‘Predator 1’ style cast list at the very end before the credits roll.

https://youtu.be/N9YsrGHmwIg

:lol:

Yeah I was a fan of Predators. I liked that they were brought in from all kinds of combat-oriented life and everyone had their own set of skills.

Fun movie.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
:yeah: Predators was fun

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Adrien Brody kiiinds rules

He's a wicked good actor but I can never forgive him for his terrible performance as Luca in Peaky Blinders. He's like a cartoon character. Ordinarily I'm all for stereotyping and demeaning Italians, but that poo poo was offensive to me.

Predators was a very fun watch. I like how he has a shirtless showdown with the predator just like in the original, and even says "KILL ME! DO IT NOW!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My issue with predators was the same issue I have with most action movies in that there was no real connection between the scenes. It's a bunch of mostly disconnected action sequences that mostly delay rather than further the plot. The most egregious example is when they get attacked by the predator dogs. You could practically hear the clatter of a GM rolling on the random encounter table.

See also 90% of car chase scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Car chase scenes are cool and good, and both the Alien AND Predator series need more of them :colbert: