Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am fairly certain vampires have bitten Superman in the past and have been instantly repelled because of the solar radiation in his cellular structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's very much a "whatever the writer wants" scenario

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Rhyno posted:

I am fairly certain vampires have bitten Superman in the past and have been instantly repelled because of the solar radiation in his cellular structure.

I had the clearest recollection of this in my mind and I’m so happy to find it was real

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There's also this scene, which has a slightly different take.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Crucifer

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Like, realtalk, after a movie leaves theaters, the next money maker is people who want to see it but not own it, so rentals. After that, we get the people who want to own it (if you're really luck, you're getting some double-dipping from rentals), so you sell them a disc and it comes with a code for a digital copy. Now you want to get the last money you can, which is from selling it to streaming services.

With Hollywood accounting, your incredibly popular movie the grossed 1 trillion dollars on a budget of $50,000 paid for with the director's mom's credit cards is now 2 trillion in the hole and can't possibly recover, so no one will make a dime beyond their hourly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Like, realtalk, after a movie leaves theaters, the next money maker is people who want to see it but not own it, so rentals. After that, we get the people who want to own it (if you're really luck, you're getting some double-dipping from rentals), so you sell them a disc and it comes with a code for a digital copy. Now you want to get the last money you can, which is from selling it to streaming services.

With Hollywood accounting, your incredibly popular movie the grossed 1 trillion dollars on a budget of $50,000 paid for with the director's mom's credit cards is now 2 trillion in the hole and can't possibly recover, so no one will make a dime beyond their hourly.

Who is the alien vampire in this scenario?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rhyno posted:

That's not good enough. I want them to instantly turn to ash like when they get staked in Blade.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I read and have read a lot of Batman. Especially those handful of books that everyone should read to understand the character and the world: DKR, Long Halloween, Killing Joke, Hush, Year One, etc.

Now I’m interested in reading both some Suicide Squad and Superman. Are there any “go to” books like Batman has for the above?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

chaosapiant posted:

So I read and have read a lot of Batman. Especially those handful of books that everyone should read to understand the character and the world: DKR, Long Halloween, Killing Joke, Hush, Year One, etc.

Now I’m interested in reading both some Suicide Squad and Superman. Are there any “go to” books like Batman has for the above?

There's All-Star Superman. But other than that for both the best option is to start from the post-crisis beginning, the Ostrander full Suicide Squad run and the Byrne reboot up through Krisis of the Krimson Kryptonite, then the big stories like Death and Return.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tom Taylor's Suicide Squad is also v. good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One-Star Squadron still really good and poignant. Otoh, Batman: Killing Time is so up its own rear end, it's turning into a singularity of smug sophistry and non-linear storytelling.

Also, as part of the Shadow War, Selina's gonna be pissed that Bruce started smooching Talia

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Xelkelvos posted:

One-Star Squadron still really good and poignant. Otoh, Batman: Killing Time is so up its own rear end, it's turning into a singularity of smug sophistry and non-linear storytelling.

Also, as part of the Shadow War, Selina's gonna be pissed that Bruce started smooching Talia

Have the comics even acknowledged that Bruce and Selina are not not not not married. It feels like after King's run they haven't even acknowledged that they nearly got married, and then decided to not not not not get married.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Dawgstar posted:

Tom Taylor . . . is . . . v. good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Madkal posted:

Have the comics even acknowledged that Bruce and Selina are not not not not married. It feels like after King's run they haven't even acknowledged that they nearly got married, and then decided to not not not not get married.

The Catwoman series has acknowledged it in its own somewhat cryptic and awkward way.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's practically tautological at this point, but I think it's safe to say that WW: Historia is essentially the best book that DC is putting out right now, and will end up being one of the best WW stories they've ever put out. Which is a little ironic considering Diana herself doesn't appear in it...sort of. Some folks have theorized that we're already seeing her here, and it's a pretty reasonable theory...unless De Connick is just giving us a great big red herring, which is why it seems so seemingly reasonable :v:

Christ, comparing it with the main titles right now is almost unfair. When will they put De Connick on a canon WW series?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
More DC Webtoons

quote:

Vixen: NYC By Writer Jasmine Walls And Lead Artist Manou Azumi
Mari Jiwe grew up in a small, seaside town in North Carolina, but upon graduating high school seeks to connect with extended family in Ghana. There, she meets relatives who gift her a mysterious totem, passed down for generations. Immediately upon returning home, she moves to New York for her freshman year of college. Mari hates it. New York is smelly, dirty, and full of even smellier and dirtier animals. Holed up in her room she finally inspects the totem--inadvertently releasing its magic. She is hit with an energy that gives her the power of the animal kingdom...of New York. Mari had a hard enough time navigating college as a normal girl, and now she not only has to figure out how to "adult," but also how to "superhuman." Then women, who look unusually like Mari, are kidnapped across the city. Vixen learns an estranged, distant relative, General Maksai, is on the hunt for her, seeking the crystal for himself. To stop his warpath, Vixen will have to stop him. As she does, she learns the true extent of her abilities. Turns out, she's capable of a lot more than she thought."

quote:

Red Hood: Outlaws By Writer Patrick R. Young With Art By Nico Bascuñàn
The Outlaws try to go legit -- and fail spectacularly. The Justice League has issued a challenge to Red Hood, Artemis of Bana-Mighdall, and Bizarro, who have to try and replace their goody-two-shoes counterparts as the heroes the world neither deserves nor needs. In this original series, the Outlaws will battle some of DC’s biggest Super-Villains and Super Heroes -- but their biggest battles are among themselves. Can this team last? And can they find their own identities separate from Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman?

quote:

Zatanna & The Ripper By Writer Sarah Dealy And Lead Artist Syro
Giovanni Zatara is one of the world's most talented magicians. His daughter Zatanna, on the other hand, is among the world's most powerful. On her 21st birthday, Zatanna witnesses a fight between her father and the sorceress Allura. Before Allura can get to his daughter, however, Giovanni blasts Zatanna far away-to London, England...in the 1800s. Zatanna she tries to use her burgeoning magic to return home but fails. What she can do, however, is pull things out of the future (and past). So her small, 19th-century room is now filled with modern gadgets. It seems she'll be stuck forever until an old friend finds her -- John Constantine. Recognizing him from her past--or her future, he tells her he knows how to get her home. They'll have to solve the Jack the Ripper murders. To make matters worse, Zatanna also quickly learns that she's among the Ripper's targets. In a gritty but magical journey (with a healthy dab of romance), Zatanna and John Constantine join forces to find and unmask Jack the Ripper.

quote:

Vixen: NYC will release on May 26. Red Hood: Outlaws and Zatanna & The Ripper will release in the summer, with final launch dates to be announced by DC and WEBTOON shortly.

Sounds more traditional DC than Wayne Family Adventures.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Loved Outlaws Bizarro. Glad to see more of him

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Detective comics #549 and #550 have a good green arrow Alan Moore story.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Si Spurrier's Black Label Suicide Squad book is hosed up and it rules.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve been wanting to read the whole Dark Knights: Metal story for a while, but haven’t purchased any of it yet in the hopes an omnibus edition would be released. Any word of such an edition floating around?

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
On that same note, when do I get my Grant Morrison's The Green Lantern omni?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I really wish Green Lantern had good art.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pioneer42 posted:

On that same note, when do I get my Grant Morrison's The Green Lantern omni?

I’ve never read much of anything of Lantern. I know there’s like 3 or 4 of them, like Flash, but don’t know poo poo about them.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I thought Far Sector was a cooler GL story than whatever Morrison did for his GL book.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Azubah posted:

I thought Far Sector was a cooler GL story than whatever Morrison did for his GL book.

Waitin' on an HC of this.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Azubah posted:

Oh, a billion times better. If you ever read a Green Lantern title and you are not mired in a multidecade obsession with the franchise, got with Far Sector. One of the best Sci-fi titles in ages too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I haven't given a poo poo about anything Green Lantern since Geoff Johns and Dan DiDio started forcing perfect, flawless Hal Jordan on everyone back around 2004, but I LOVED Far Sector. The art is stunningly beautiful on every single page, and it's the first Green Lantern story that feels like actual science fiction, with interesting worldbuilding ideas, and not just superhero cops punching things in space. Plus, Jo Mullein is a great new character with the most "toyetic" design, and I now dream of an adaptation where Janelle Monae plays her.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/NicoleAMaines/status/1514605822151520264?s=20&t=0slaZhBK9-IAUSThe4iSGw

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Who?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
From the slug of the article reposted by Nicole Maines and posted into the thread: Actress & transgender activist Nicole Maines will co-write the story introducing her SUPERGIRL character to the DCU.

The character's name is Dreamer. She is an original character portrayed by Nicole Maines on the CW television show Supergirl, and Nicole Maines will co-write the story introducing her into the DCU in the comic book Superman: Son of Kal-El.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Much appreciated, I was on mobile and couldn't click on the twitter thing at the time

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
pedantic but wasn't Dreamer introduced to the DCU in the Pride special last year?

edit: ok, per the article that was set in the TV continuity rather than the DCU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I have to admit that I'm also unfamiliar with this character, but Dreamer is a cool name for a superhero and I think her outfit looks cool, so I'm down for it! :buddy:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That's cool, and Tom Taylor is just about the only person writing good books at DC now. So that should be a good read.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I think Arrowverse Dreamer is supposed to be the ancestor of Dream Girl from the LoSH. That is literally all I know about her, and might not even be true.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Beerdeer posted:

I think Arrowverse Dreamer is supposed to be the ancestor of Dream Girl from the LoSH. That is literally all I know about her, and might not even be true.

I think it's implied, but never outright stated. IIRC Brainy acts really weird around her near their first few meetings (and not just in a weird "aww look the alien genius man likes her" way) in a way that implies that she's someone of great importance in the future.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Related, I thought it was fun that Maines and Taylor collaborated to bust on a troll:

https://twitter.com/genius_geordie/status/1514648318558838790

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Codependent Poster posted:

That's cool, and Tom Taylor is just about the only person writing good books at DC now. So that should be a good read.

I will not take this Jeremy Adams erasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Speaking of Tom Taylor, how was Suicide Squad: Bad Blood?