Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Syrian Lannister posted:

There were videos going around in 2014 2015 of the Russians doing the same thing.

Yep, I distinctly remember seeing footage floating around maybe 4-5 years ago of separatists using cellphones taken from killed Ukrainian soldiers and calling their parents to gloat. Vaguely remember seeing similar footage from Syria as well with SAA soldiers calling parents of killed rebels.

Still an incredibly ghoulish thing to do, obviously. I guess the moral of the story is, if you're going to be carrying around a cellphone in an active warzone, you should probably disable biometric logins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Separatists took credits cards from the wreckage of MH17 and used them.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crab Dad posted:

Whatever. It’s lame but it doesn’t add up to poo poo. Pestering the family of an invading genocidal army doesn’t amount to poo poo.

I was just wondering as a technical question.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Marshal Prolapse posted:

:wtc:
Ukrainian soldier calling dead Russians cell and for lack of a better word, trolling his family on video. The 21st Century is weird.
code:
https://twitter.com/dehqansaber/status/1513960746492866568?s=21&t=wOuB8Kew0BvFKVNsj7qxWg
:nms:

Is this a war crime or just an army reg violation? I mean he is harassing a soldiers family. I mean this is besides the fact it’s extremely distasteful at best and disturbing at worst.

I'm sure the War Police are going to get right on top of it as soon as they are done getting quotas for tank speeding tickets (they just can't seem to reach it)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm sure the War Police are going to get right on top of it as soon as they are done getting quotas for tank speeding tickets (they just can't seem to reach it)

I know, I was just wondering from a technical perspective if this could be considered one.

They’re also busy catching wanna be stooge Presidents.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't know what the Ukrainian Military's stance on mocking deceased invader's families is. I doubt they're going to come down on this guy later.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.thedailybeast.com/russian-troops-took-radioactive-souvenirs-from-chernobyl-ukraine-nuclear-company-says

133 radioactive sources were reported stolen by Energoatom from CNPP during the Russians stay there. Buncha dudes went home with fun cool metal souvenirs in their rucks and cargo pockets, wonder where the theft of this much material falls on the INES scale.

quote:

In addition to looting computers and equipment, the Russian troops “unauthorizedly entered a repository of ionizing radiation sources” and “stole and damaged 133 sources with a total activity of about 7 million becquerels,” the nuclear company said, noting that “this is comparable to 700 kg of radioactive waste with the presence of beta and gamma radiation.” Citing the State Agency of Ukraine on Exclusion Zone Management, the company said it was believed the Russian soldiers took the “deadly” items “as souvenirs.” But if they were hoping to bring these souvenirs back home to impress their friends, they’re in for a surprise, as “carrying such a souvenir with you for two weeks will inevitably lead to radiation burns, radiation sickness and irreversible processes in the body,” according to Energoatom.

I don't think the message

quote:

This place is a message... and part of a system of messages... pay attention to it!

Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particular location... it increases towards a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.

The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kill.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

works in Russian, cause apparently even with actual nuclear scientists and plant personnel on site who were actively advising them of how dangerous the area was, the Russians couldn't help but pocket radioactive material cause it was warm to the touch or looked cool.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 13, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

thread title pretty accurate

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Haha, holy poo poo, looked up the INES scale for people and environment incidents involving sources and transport, and their example for a 5 on the INES scale (Accident with wider consequences) was 4 people picking up a lethal dose from a single ruptured Cs-137 source. This would rank those sources disappearing well above a 5, due to the amount of material and potential dissemination of the sources across a wider area, so possibly a 6 or even a 7 out of 7.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

zoux posted:

Let's say Putin had a sudden cerebrovascular event that killed him (this is not unprecedented among Russian rulers): who the hell takes over? Or does the country immediately fall apart?

Article 92 of the Constitution of the Russian Federation posted:

3. In all cases when the President of the Russian Federation is incapable of fulfilling his duties, they shall temporarily fulfilled by the Chairman of the Government of the Russian Federation. The Acting President of the Russian Federation shall have no right to dissolve the State Duma, appoint a referendum, and also provisions of the Constitution of the Russian Federation.

so Mishustin, though i'd expect a power struggle pretty quickly

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

orange juche posted:

Haha, holy poo poo, looked up the INES scale for people and environment incidents involving sources and transport, and their example for a 5 on the INES scale (Accident with wider consequences) was 4 people picking up a lethal dose from a single ruptured Cs-137 source. This would rank those sources disappearing well above a 5, due to the amount of material and potential dissemination of the sources across a wider area, so possibly a 6 or even a 7 out of 7.

INES 5 also includes the Windscale fire, for what it’s worth.

Chernobyl 1986 was a 7. It’s not a great scale.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

INES 5 also includes the Windscale fire, for what it’s worth.

Chernobyl 1986 was a 7. It’s not a great scale.

Those are two different scales of incidents. INES has two scales, one for sites, and one for missing/stolen/discovered sources. Sites scale is bigger than sources, but sources has the potential for worldwide travel well away from known nuclear sites, which is dangerous all on its own.

Why they gave them the same numbers is confusing, but my understanding is that the missing Chernobyl sources would be above a 5 on the sources scale, due to how many sources disappeared, and the dissemination of each source away from the site being a radiological incident on its own.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

orange juche posted:

133 radioactive sources were reported stolen by Energoatom from CNPP during the Russians stay there.

How spicy are these sources? Are we talking Herbie Goes Bananas spicy? The idea of 133 different Goiânias isn't a pleasant one.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sexual Lorax posted:

How spicy are these sources? Are we talking Herbie Goes Bananas spicy? The idea of 133 different Goiânias isn't a pleasant one.

Goiânia was a 55TBq source, so these sources are much less energetic, taking days to accumulate a fatal dose instead of hours, but the thing about radiation is you won't know you're glowing until you're experiencing ARS, if you don't know what radiation is. You're still just as dead, and honestly, the fact that there's so many sources would make this a much bigger mess to clean up for the IAEA.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 13, 2022

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Who knows, I'm shocked that Putin really has near total control of the Russian state. You don't get away with making choices like this that damage the rich and your own population if you don't.

Authoritarian countries like Russia and China aren't like America, where the rich own the government. In Russia and China, the government owns the rich.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Chornobyl came back for a round 2, and is still looking at a respectable 5/7.

Was the original incident just that far off-scale high that it all but broke the INES rating scheme? Fukushima was also a 7, but Chornobyl seems like a far worse incident.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Chornobyl came back for a round 2, and is still looking at a respectable 5/7.

Was the original incident just that far off-scale high that it all but broke the INES rating scheme? Fukushima was also a 7, but Chornobyl seems like a far worse incident.

Yes, it was well and truly off the scale.

Fqubed
Dec 12, 2013
Edit. How the f did this end up here

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I can't imagine what sources would only emit a total of 7 MBq, that's not a whole lot of radiation, and definitely not equivalent to 700kg of radioactive waste, Maybe 7TBq, which is a huge loving deal, but maybe it was lost in translation by the time it made it to the news article.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

This thread is practically the Russian army's idiots thread

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Finland has all but confirmed it's going to join NATO:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f087ec40b13f722

https://mobile.twitter.com/shashj/s...f087ec40b13f722

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Finland armed with nukes.

Perkele.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The Molotov cocktails must come from the Karelia region of Finland, otherwise it is just perkele-ing resistance

:tipshat:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Discussion Quorum posted:

The Molotov cocktails must come from the Karelia region of Finland, otherwise it is just perkele-ing resistance

:tipshat:

Molotov Cocktails are actually a controlled origin product in the European Union. If they come from anywhere else, they have to be called petrol bombs.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

orange juche posted:

I can't imagine what sources would only emit a total of 7 MBq, that's not a whole lot of radiation, and definitely not equivalent to 700kg of radioactive waste, Maybe 7TBq, which is a huge loving deal, but maybe it was lost in translation by the time it made it to the news article.

My understanding was that they were calibration sources for instruments, these would be fairly weak.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
wouldn't be the first time russians underestimated the strength of something they thought they could easily take

:dadjoke:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

psydude posted:

Molotov Cocktails are actually a controlled origin product in the European Union. If they come from anywhere else, they have to be called petrol bombs.

I thought 'petrol bombs' was trademarked in Northern Ireland ?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Interesting bit I wasn't aware of: parts of Ukraine have a substantial Korean-Ukrainian minority, relocated there by Stalin during his purges. They are, uh, extremely not fond of Russia.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

You called? :jihad:

I remember the neighbours making them in early 1990s when things got a bit "complicated" during one marching season (April to August)... never used thankfully.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

No longer part of the EU, and therefore not benefitting from any of the trademark protections.

Can't wait to start sampling English Champagne.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1514313992717676550

Sure is dusty up in here. Not as dusty as a building carelessly bombed by Russian aircraft, but still pretty dusty.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah, the governor of Mikolyaiv Vitaliy Kim with the great socks is Korean-Ukrainkan
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1501355088643870724?t=k7_cBJcfoJVTfqKj2u-Bsg&s=19
(Old post just wanted the pic)

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Ukrainian sources claim the missile cruiser Moskva, flagship of the Russian Black Sea Fleet, has been hit by two Neptune anti-ship missiles.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

No, that’s nail bomb. Hell the Philly mob used one to try and obscure a hit I’m the 1980s.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Nail bomb always screams Atlanta Olympics to me

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Ukrainian sources claim the missile cruiser Moskva, flagship of the Russian Black Sea Fleet, has been hit by two Neptune anti-ship missiles.

loving ouch

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

How can they tell? Seems to be in its natural state; on fire.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Apparently those are a home-grown Ukrainian design that only entered last year.

If true, it would be one hell of a combat debut.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

Apparently those are a home-grown Ukrainian design that only entered last year.

If true, it would be one hell of a combat debut.

Not even then. It was scheduled for May this year. I was wondering if they could even finish making them or getting them operational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If nothing else, the Ukrainians have proven themselves competent and highly motivated.