Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I played through the ST in skywalker saga and TLJ makes about as much sense as the movie did, I still haven't seen TROS, wtf is a dyad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spookydonut posted:

I played through the ST in skywalker saga and TLJ makes about as much sense as the movie did, I still haven't seen TROS, wtf is a dyad

A group of two people

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

"Dyad" is an actual word. It's like "triad" but with 2 parts instead of three.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still no release date for Bad Batch S2 yet but Dee Bradley Baker did recently supply some new info regarding it:

https://comicbook.com/starwars/news/star-wars-bad-batch-season-2-update-at-celebration-teaser/

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ykhVjTquM
"I called him Pumpkinhead"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I cannot stress this enough. gently caress yes.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

From the Galaxy of Creatures team comes the next little YouTube series

Galactic Pals
Wookiee
Ewok

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Finished Mandelorian yesterday.
Or is that Mandadlorian?
That second to last episode (with the explosives) was really good, honestly hit a lot of the same notes for me as the first few episodes did. Just a fun adventure and some interesting exploration on the side of the Empire.

And then the final episode.
The Dark Troopers didn't disappoint, though I did miss the old plasma caster gun they used in the Dark Forces games. :allears: I hope this isn't the last we see of them.
Luke didn't disappoint. :allears: And honestly, I found him easier on the eyes than Leia and Tarkin were in Rogue One. Not sure why.
His journey through the Dark Troopers actually feels a bit like an echo to Darth Vader's Rogue One ending scene. Though it's somehow portrayed pretty dark?
Just not much to say, these 2 episodes have been great. Cool action, some good emotional beats between Mando and the child. Everyone who's evil is a proper jerk.
Mandelorian was all round just a fun little series, just space adventures. And that's all I wanted. :unsmith:

I also can't help but enjoy middle aged not quite fit Boba Fett. :allears:

That post credits scene with Boba Fett looks promising. Guess I will look at the Book next, even if it's apparently not that great. :shrug:
Bib Fattuna

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Without meta lore, oooo, it sort of makes sense that the Jedi's appearance is portrayed that way. Mando has little idea who the gently caress this dude is, he is wrecking these murder robots left and right, and he's going to take Mando's Green Good Boy away, if things go to plan. But then for the viewers, it's a cathartic moment when we see that it's Mark Hamill circa 1980 come to save the universe. Also, it was a cool sequence :colbert:

If you liked Mando, you'll like Boba, at least parts of it. If the first couple of episodes seem a bit less focused than Mando's, I would still recommend sticking it out, it's not a long series and the latter half or so is mostly good Wars of Stars fun.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I was pretty meh’ on BoBF when I first watched it. Ok, but nothing super amazing. It just didn’t feel as tight a show as Mando if that makes any sense.

My kids however loved it. My nine year old daughter and six year old son still walk around the house loudly singing the theme song. My daughter paints pictures of Boba Fett and uses him any time we play Star Wars Legion.

It made me start to see it a bit differently. When I was their age I was totally ate up with Star Wars. Lasers! Monsters! Space wizards!!! Honestly I think they kinda see it the same way I saw the original trilogy back in the day. Fun space adventures that you didn’t have to think too hard about.

They had even seen all the movies and cartoon series before we watched Boba Fett. For some reason it is the one that has stuck with them the most.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah definitely watch Boba Fett, though it’s weak at times. The final couple episodes are great though because Mando arrives and basically takes over the show. I loved the rampaging Rancor too.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
BoBF’s biggest weakness is it needed much, much more of Danny Trejo, rancor trainer

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Heeyy, Boba. I just came by to show you how to put these drops in his ears. Okay, you gotta do this twice a day, and make sure you press down on the ear and wiggle it a bit, or he'll shake the drops right out."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It is kind of weird that new/young Star Wars fans will have a completely different outlook and relationship with one of the series most iconic characters than the lifelong 40 year franchise fans.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s already passed buddy. Young kids actually like the prequel movies and that was like 20 years ago.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That’s already passed buddy. Young kids actually like Return of the Jedi and that was like 40 years ago.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That’s already passed buddy. Young kids actually like the sequel movies and that was like 7 years ago.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Nash posted:

I was pretty meh’ on BoBF when I first watched it. Ok, but nothing super amazing. It just didn’t feel as tight a show as Mando if that makes any sense.

My kids however loved it. My nine year old daughter and six year old son still walk around the house loudly singing the theme song. My daughter paints pictures of Boba Fett and uses him any time we play Star Wars Legion.

It made me start to see it a bit differently. When I was their age I was totally ate up with Star Wars. Lasers! Monsters! Space wizards!!! Honestly I think they kinda see it the same way I saw the original trilogy back in the day. Fun space adventures that you didn’t have to think too hard about.

They had even seen all the movies and cartoon series before we watched Boba Fett. For some reason it is the one that has stuck with them the most.

Disney wants all of the leads/cool characters to be super heroes. :shrug:

I’m definitely going to watch Book of Boba Fett. And it just being dumb space adventures I’d be okay with that. Dumb space adventures were generally the best episodes of Mandalorian.
I already know he’s not going to be an actual crime lord…unfortunately. But I don’t know any other spoilers….which probably also says something about the bobf.

Vinylshadow posted:

That’s already passed buddy. Young kids actually like the sequel movies and that was like 7 years ago.

Stop being so cruel. :qq:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vinylshadow posted:

My daughter, 3, does not like Rey or the sequels. I showed TFA to her hoping I could open the live action door to her with a strong female lead and she just sighs after about thirty minutes and said, “can we just go back to Ahsoka” and so I turned the clone wars back on.

So a couple weeks ago I show her TPM and she watched the whole thing and cried when Liam Neeson died. There’s hope for this upcoming generation.

We also watched attack of the clones and she enjoyed it as well. I don’t want to show her RotS just yet cus that high ground scene might be too much for her but I’m gonna see how she likes the original trilogy here soon.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Anita Dickinme posted:

My daughter, 3, does not like Rey or the sequels. I showed TFA to her hoping I could open the live action door to her with a strong female lead and she just sighs after about thirty minutes and said, “can we just go back to Ahsoka” and so I turned the clone wars back on.

So a couple weeks ago I show her TPM and she watched the whole thing and cried when Liam Neeson died. There’s hope for this upcoming generation.

We also watched attack of the clones and she enjoyed it as well. I don’t want to show her RotS just yet cus that high ground scene might be too much for her but I’m gonna see how she likes the original trilogy here soon.

It's all anecdotal, though. My daughter, 5, loves Rey. (I haven't really shown her the sequels, or many PG-13 movies, for obvious reasons.)

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 13, 2022

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Anita Dickinme posted:

TPM is a good movie that's relaxing to watch and great for kids.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think one of the things that made The Mandalorian really work is how the series was bold enough to portray its lead ignominiously. He can fail. He makes mistakes. He's a weird emotionally stunted dork. And that gives a whole vibrancy to the series and intensifies the moments when he grits down and kicks rear end. I recently rewatched Empire Strikes Back, and that's the soul of the whole movie. The only guy with any dignity in that movie is Lando. Everyone else has their moments of failure or being dorks unable to deal with their emotions. The imperials are running around flailing the whole movie because Vader has no patience for any of them. Most of the Star Wars movies make a big point of putting in lots of slice-of-life downtime that really humanizes the characters, and The Mandalorian does plenty of that.

Which I think is a weakness of the Book of Boba Fett. That series is much less down to earth and I feel a bit too wrapped up in how Boba Fett's a cool, tough guy. And yet it also doesn't really put much work into making him a big scary crime lord. It's just not as fun as a show, even before you get into general plot structure.

And that's also a reason why Moff Gideon being portrayed as generally competent and cool and calm instead of a dork or a fool or anything. It's not fun, and it's not interesting, and it makes him a bit annoying whenever he's in the scene. I felt like the way he flew on his own in a TIE fighter as a high-ranking officer was kinda dumb and schlubby, but the stylistic messaging of that scene made it seem like they wanted that scene to be cool.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I wish they had kept the weird failure with dirty scout troopers as his thugs. That said, a boss battle with a TIE fighter was great. Darksword on, less good. But still the best star wars since 83 so I have to temper my complaints.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Generational Star War torch-passing talk:

Watching with my then 6 year old I was stoked to get to the "No, I am your father" reveal in ESB.

What surprised me is my kid totally missed the dialogue because she was FREAKING OUT about Luke's hand.

"He got his hand cut off!" That was the Big Takeaway from the ESB climax for her.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Owlbear Camus posted:

Watching with my then 6 year old I was stoked to get to the "No, I am your father" reveal in ESB.

What surprised me is my kid totally missed the dialogue because she was FREAKING OUT about Luke's hand.

"He got his hand cut off!" That was the Big Takeaway from the ESB climax for her.

haha, this reminds me of when I had a fire-side story time where I basically did a C3PO and recanted the original trilogy (with sound effects) to my numerous nieces and nephews during christmas. Of course the youngest one went screaming out of the room... "BAD MAN CUT HIS HAND OFF!"

All the adults shot me dirty looks as all the kids started chanting... "CUT HIS HAND OFF! CUT HIS HAND OFF!"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Owlbear Camus posted:

My brother showed his son ESB, and filmed him during the twist moment. I'm guessing to try to get a viral moment of him freaking out or something, because that's who my brother is. Well my 7 year old nephew hosed it up (in an awesome way), because as soon as Vader said, "No, I am your father," he said, "Just like Emperor Zerg!" You know, from Toy Story? Because they referenced that same moment in Toy Story 2. My brother was kind of pissed, but when he sent me the video, I was laughing my rear end off.

Like, yeah, the twist is out there and has been referenced to hell and back at this point. What do you expect?

Burning_Monk posted:

haha, this reminds me of when I had a fire-side story time where I basically did a C3PO and recanted the original trilogy (with sound effects) to my numerous nieces and nephews during christmas. Of course the youngest one went screaming out of the room... "BAD MAN CUT HIS HAND OFF!"

All the adults shot me dirty looks as all the kids started chanting... "CUT HIS HAND OFF! CUT HIS HAND OFF!"

And THIS reminds me of that terrible movie Reign of Fire where, in a post apocalypse, Christian Bale and Gerald Butler are reenacting ESB for kids, and specifically this scene. It was hilarious, adorable, and, like, the only good scene of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F-MICZdEY4

Butler reassuring the kids that his hand is, in fact, fine is just gold.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 13, 2022

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

thrawn527 posted:

My brother showed his son ESB, and filmed him during the twist moment. I'm guessing to try to get a viral moment of him freaking out or something, because that's who my brother is. Well my 7 year old nephew hosed it up (in an awesome way), because as soon as Vader said, "No, I am your father," he said, "Just like Emperor Zerg!" You know, from Toy Story? Because they referenced that same moment in Toy Story 2. My brother was kind of pissed, but when he sent me the video, I was laughing my rear end off.

Like, yeah, the twist is out there and has been referenced to hell and back at this point. What do you expect?

And THIS reminds me of that terrible movie Reign of Fire where, in a post apocalypse, Christian Bale and Gerald Butler are reenacting ESB for kids, and specifically this scene. It was hilarious, adorable, and, like, the only good scene of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F-MICZdEY4

Butler reassuring the kids that his hand is, in fact, fine is just gold.

Reign of Fire is admittedly dogshit but I have a soft spot for it. Modern day soldiers vs dragons is such a neat twist on the usual dragon story, and the dragons themselves looked loving awesome.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

VaultAggie posted:

Reign of Fire is admittedly dogshit but I have a soft spot for it. Modern day soldiers vs dragons is such a neat twist on the usual dragon story, and the dragons themselves looked loving awesome.

I enjoy PARTS of it, but on the whole, it's just not a good movie. But I was probably too harsh in my previous post, because I did enjoy that very silly, bad movie.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 14, 2022

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

VaultAggie posted:

Man did they gently caress up that premise. Now there's a movie ripe for a remake or a reimagining. That star wars scene was great though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

VaultAggie posted:

I love the part where McConaughey regurgitates a whole cigar.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

I enjoy PARTS of it, but on the whole, it's just not a good movie. But I was probably too harsh in my previous post, because I did enjoy that very silly, bad movie.

That’s definitely the whole thing for me. It’s so cheesy and silly but a beautiful movie in my eyes. Also one of the movies I rewatched over and over as a kid.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

To be fair, that is a pretty wtf moment.
Not a lot of movies that show the hero getting thoroughly owned with actual impact. I mean Iron Man and Spider-man get punted through walls all the time ending up with just a scratch. But Luke gets beat up and gets his hand chopped off. It's a big moment.

Reign of Fire is enjoyable dreck, it's obvious the people who made it cared and tried their best.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

SlothfulCobra posted:

And that's also a reason why Moff Gideon being portrayed as generally competent and cool and calm instead of a dork or a fool or anything. It's not fun, and it's not interesting, and it makes him a bit annoying whenever he's in the scene. I felt like the way he flew on his own in a TIE fighter as a high-ranking officer was kinda dumb and schlubby, but the stylistic messaging of that scene made it seem like they wanted that scene to be cool.

I always read Gideon as a big self important dork cosplaying Vader. His tiny command ship really sealed that in for me. Everything he did was to make himself look cool and menacing but he was really just a big “I was studying the blade” type nerd

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Exactly the same. It's his little tantrums that really drive it home.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Darth TNT posted:

To be fair, that is a pretty wtf moment.
Not a lot of movies that show the hero getting thoroughly owned with actual impact. I mean Iron Man and Spider-man get punted through walls all the time ending up with just a scratch. But Luke gets beat up and gets his hand chopped off. It's a big moment.
Thats a tremendous observation.

It really shows the potential consequence to ones actions that as you said, few modern movies are willing to show for a main character.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The aquarium I used to volunteer for would do a Halloween event, where staff would dress up and even the divers had costumes. I dove as Anakin one year, my mask is low-volume (it looks like it has angry eyebrows) with a red tint and I had a robe/toy lightsaber (Anakin’s!) to go with my one glove. I saw a little girl dressed as Rey, she couldn’t have been more than 6 at the time. She recognized my costume underneath all my dive gear, and even recognized I was carrying a lightsaber on my hip. She pointed at it and did a little kid happy-dance.

She lost her loving mind when i floated back up to the window where she was standing and acted like I was trying to hand her my lightsaber through it :kimchi: :unsmith:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cage Kicker posted:

I always read Gideon as a big self important dork cosplaying Vader. His tiny command ship really sealed that in for me. Everything he did was to make himself look cool and menacing but he was really just a big “I was studying the blade” type nerd

Exactly this. As having just finished the series, Gideon is exactly what it needed. Some Moff who talks big, acts like he knows everything and his victory is inevitable when in actuality he's really a bit of a poser in his pretty black not quite Vader armor.
And I love the gravitas the actor gives him as well. He does honestly strike me as a guy capable of uniting a splinter group under him.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Gonna echo the ESB freak out. My five year old son lost his poo poo when that hand came off.

My eight year old daughter on the other hand didn’t even blink with the big reveal. “I already knew that. I read it in a book”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's exactly why you shouldn't let your kids read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

That's exactly why you shouldn't let your kids read.