Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Labor have been in the news for the last 4 days basically non stop because Albo didnt know the cash rate or the unemployment rate.

They get coverage when they make mistakes and thats it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The fact that state Labor goverments manage to cut through and have gained government basically everywhere but NSW (which is a basketcase politically) means that there is a pathway to victory, but I'd be curious to know how much the media backing of the Liberals in WA for example impacted local's trust for said institutions.

That said, I think the tactic often employed against a clear favourite is to be unreasonably critical while not obviously and blatantly fellating the other side. This doesn't seem to happen as much federally, although I suppose it's harder against a small target opposition leader than a premier willing to go against the grain.

I would still be curious to know how a campaign like this one affects the population's perception of the media as more or less trustworthy though. At some point you have to imagine it would come back at them. If any of you resourceful buggers has a study or article on hand, I'd be keen to see it.

Edit: And I guess another element would be that a lot of the more toxic media personalities willing to tie their ship to the federal libs live in NSW, so they have far more to lose from the Feds losing govt than a premier in another state.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Voter who interrupted Anthony Albanese's press conference demands apology after ‘deeply offensive’ comments

A voter who interrupted one of Opposition leader Anthony Albanese’s press conferences in Perth last week has demanded the Labor leader apologise for his comments following the incident.

Speaking exclusively to Sky News Australia’s The Kenny Report host Chris Kenny, Mr Bernard revealed he had no connection to the truck which was organised by the political lobby group Advance Australia.

“I had no connection with Advance Australia, I didn’t know the truck, I didn’t know the truck driver, just zero connection,” he said.

Mr Bernard claimed he was not tied to any political party and has voted for both major parties as much as each other adding that the comments from the would-be prime minister called for an apology.

“It was deeply offensive to me, just deeply offensive and subsequently I found it really disturbing that a man who presents himself as a leader for Australia when something even slightly tough comes up just makes up a story and throws the people under the bus,” he said.

What did Albo say to this snowflake?

dr_rat posted:

His full answer to that question is here:

https://twitter.com/SimonBarnhill/status/1514090504392425477

And yeah good answer from one of the few aussie politicians I have any respect for.

Good answer!

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
think the biggest factor with NSW is that NSW Labor are a mess who've spent the last decade recovering from the backlash to how corrupt they were last time they were in power & have still been repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot, while the NSW Liberals are dominated by the moderates & have done relatively little to really alienate people. Labor could have a serious shot in 2023 at last, Perrottet does not seem to be anywhere as popular as Berejiklian, but it's hard to say

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

like ozbargain forums and whirlpool are both lit up with how bad albo is for not being able to recall these two numbers.

i know they are not the best example of the australian population but it was literally the first topic of discussion on the ozbargain main page underneath all the deals.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
prime minister adam bandt

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
i wonder what political discourse looks like on hotcopper :suicide:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Whingepool probably is a pretty good sample set of the kind of overconfident middle aged man that hasn't already figured out that one party represents their interests more than the other, and that this isn't likely to change within their lifetime, aka swing voters.

Same kind of person who listens to talkback radio and thinks they're getting an objective presentation of current events.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

like a dog with a new toy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Don Dongington posted:

Whingepool probably is a pretty good sample set of the kind of overconfident middle aged man that hasn't already figured out that one party represents their interests more than the other, and that this isn't likely to change within their lifetime, aka swing voters.

Same kind of person who listens to talkback radio and thinks they're getting an objective presentation of current events.

Swing voters are p obviously the dumbest, most uninformed people on the planet from literally every indication of them and it's lol that people somehow think they have wisdom and should be listened to

lih
May 15, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...bseeker-payment

at this stage a lot of the teals are to the left of labor on a lot of stuff lol

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
getting all of my election coverage through Betoota advocate instagram posts is more useful than whatever the media is doing

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Anidav posted:

Yeah sure.

the ALP literally can't stop shooting themselves in the foot.

Terri Butler in QLD is on the loving ropes because she literally can't not do corruption poo poo.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/dallaskilponen/status/1514150838486573058

lih
May 15, 2013

wait what did Terri Butler do

if she has an established negative reputation there then Griffith should be very winnable by the Greens this election, in the same way that South Brisbane was at the state election

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Are you getting Terri Butler mixed up with Jackie Trad?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Everybody in every job should join their union

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Leigh Sales with a straight face telling Adam Bandt that if the Greens tax billionaires more then they'll have less to donate to charitable causes

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

The fact that state Labor goverments manage to cut through and have gained government basically everywhere but NSW (which is a basketcase politically) means that there is a pathway to victory, but I'd be curious to know how much the media backing of the Liberals in WA for example impacted local's trust for said institutions.

That said, I think the tactic often employed against a clear favourite is to be unreasonably critical while not obviously and blatantly fellating the other side. This doesn't seem to happen as much federally, although I suppose it's harder against a small target opposition leader than a premier willing to go against the grain.

I would still be curious to know how a campaign like this one affects the population's perception of the media as more or less trustworthy though. At some point you have to imagine it would come back at them. If any of you resourceful buggers has a study or article on hand, I'd be keen to see it.

Edit: And I guess another element would be that a lot of the more toxic media personalities willing to tie their ship to the federal libs live in NSW, so they have far more to lose from the Feds losing govt than a premier in another state.

If all state and Federal governments are Liberal it makes people more likely to vote for a chance, and state governments have less ability to change taxes on the rich which is most of the reason they want a Liberal federal government.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Jumpsuit posted:

Leigh Sales with a straight face telling Adam Bandt that if the Greens tax billionaires more then they'll have less to donate to charitable causes

journalists questioning policies? drat

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Are you getting Terri Butler mixed up with Jackie Trad?

These drat labor pollies are just so forgettable I’ll say

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Jumpsuit posted:

finally a journalist with some courage

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Jumpsuit posted:

jfc it got worse

leigh sales posted:

and b, wouldnt their direct charitable spending be a more efficient and sort of i guess direct use of their resources than having it siphoned through government and then reallocated

lih
May 15, 2013

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-13/liberal-candidate-allison-bluck-apologises-over-identity-claim/100989456

quote:

A Liberal candidate has apologised over a bizarre false statement in which she appeared to claim credit for the work of a woman with a similar name who is a conservationist on Kangaroo Island.

Alison Buck, on the other hand, is the manager of a wilderness trail on Kangaroo Island for South Australia's Environment Department.

But in a campaign letter from Ms Bluck to Mayo voters — a letter written in the first person, with Ms Bluck's signature — she appears to conflate herself with the latter.

"As the manager of the Kangaroo Island Nature Trail, I am passionate about the environment," Ms Bluck's letter stated.

In a subsequent post on Facebook, Ms Bluck acknowledged the error and apologised for it.

??? lol some staffer got ahead of themselves i guess

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Everybody in every job should join their union

Unions, as a concept, are great. Everybody who doesn't pay their own salary should definitely be on board with the concept, and make themselves aware of how much of what we take for granted is a result of direct action by unions in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Unions, as individual political entities, are deeply flawed. The ALP are basically the avatar of union leadership types across the country. Heavily technocratic, often due to having spent too much time focused on industrial law, which like all lawyering is fairly technical and revolves heavily around the use of specific language and and process. This has a lot to do with the way the Fair Work act forces them to use Enterprise Bargaining as the sole instrument for change. The next 3-4 years of your ability to deliver positive outcomes to members hangs entirely off the strength of the clauses that go into the EBA, and your ability to negotiate and horse trade entitlements. So wonks are naturally in high demand, not just as industrial staff but in leadership roles, as success may depend on their ability to direct the industrial staff to achieve said outcomes.

Unions in general have also lost a lot of their organising capability, as well as their membership density, which is a bit of a chicken/egg situation as far as I see it. The focus on industrial success in bargaining and dispute resolution in an increasingly adversarial environment (as the Libs appoint more and more partisan hacks as commissioners) means that paid organising work falls by the wayside. This may be less true of larger trades-oriented unions with huge and active memberships, but it certainly seems to be the case in public sector unions, and education. People in organising roles spend the bulk of their time servicing, not organising. So growth stagnates or drops, participation is weak, and any wins go unnoticed by people who don't follow the union on social media.

Which relates to the third major challenge, in that members seem to see the unions as service providers, rather than a fraternity to which they belong. "What is the union going to do about this" is an extremely common phrase heard in unionised workplaces. If you pay dues, you're part of the union, and you shouldn't feel like you need to sit around and wait for a paid staff member to wander in and make the bad thing go away. Rank and file delegate networks are extremely powerful things, and whether it's due to autocratic actors in leadership roles or just the nature of the transactional relationships we seem to focus on in society today, they're dying out. On the other hand, people who DO put their hand up to be local delegates often find themselves being ignored, overloaded, or pushed into running for elected positions they weren't really that interested in, where they may have been better positioned to organise their work area.

Based on what we've seen abroad, the path to success for the union movement seems to be to rely less on governing bodies, comms strategies, branding exercises, social media campaigns and wins in the commission that nobody outside of the branch office will ever hear about, and more on grass roots organising. Get people in a work area talking about their own challenges, and how they might collectively flip management the bird instead of filling in a web form and getting a response back in 2 days saying "there's no clear industrial pathway here, sorry mate".

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
ill start the wiki

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

username/post

see also the elderly dog they trotted out that was too arthritic to refuse the photo op

https://twitter.com/joneshowdareyou/status/1514058367035133954

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

prime minister adam bandt

This, with total sincerity. I don’t care if I’m channelling the Artilleryman from War of the Worlds; I need this hope, only reality shall crush it, and it won’t be doing that for a month and a bit.

May 21st needs to bring full Steven Bradbury realness. Watch which media outlets poo poo the bed because they didn’t even bother to have graphics ready for if the nation Bandt together (eh? eh?) against both major parties’ bullshit. (Even Bandt won’t have exactly what he was hoping for - a mere balance of power tends to socially distance one from the sword of Damocles.)

It could give Barnaby an aneurysm.

It could give Rupert an aneurysm.

Surely in this light, #1 Greens is nothing less than our patriotic duty?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Swing voters are p obviously the dumbest, most uninformed people on the planet from literally every indication of them and it's lol that people somehow think they have wisdom and should be listened to

Well they should be listened to in the sense that they're the 5% of the population, in a country with mandatory voting, who actually determine the result of every election.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Political cartoonists really don't have much work to do

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
"Only 5 minutes after the unemployment rate was released, Anthony Albanese was once again asked by a journalist what the unemployment rate was. "

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 28 hours!)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Morrison - Coalition Election victory
Woman with arms around dog - Pro-Coalition mainstream media
Dog - Australian voters

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Don Dongington posted:

There is obviously a way forward here, however the last Opposition leader of WA was engaged to the editor of the West Australian newspaper, so there's obviously issues there with media bias. You should have seen the Mandurah Mail when he first got elected, the only news they published for months were puff pieces about him - including his wedding to his ex-wife.

You don't have to imagine, you can go look, but if you're lazy just imagine it. Political candidate gets married, see all the pics!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

"Only 5 minutes after the unemployment rate was released, Anthony Albanese was once again asked by a journalist what the unemployment rate was. "

wheres this from

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

"During a wide-ranging press conference in the Hunter, Anthony Albanese was grilled on how Labor would manage any resurgence of the people-smuggling trade."

lol

e: picturing a bunch of people smugglers salivating at the idea of a labor government and getting very worried so i vote 1 LNP

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mr albo, a meteor is heading to South Africa as we speak, what does Labor do

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Might go One Nation this year. Really proud of their strides towards diversity with an Indian candidate and a Filipino candidate, George Christensen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Might go One Nation this year. Really proud of their strides towards diversity with an Indian candidate and a Filipino candidate, George Christensen
they were way ahead on the supermarket prices thing too

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 14, 2022