Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Torbo posted:

I know this is a while back, but i just finished building this, and i want to thank you. Its so rad, and its the first like non-official lego project ive worked on, bricklinking the pieces and stuff. I was really drawn to it, because i love the diner, but i just missed it getting back into lego as it was being retired, and i havent had the heart to pay $350 for a set that retailed for 180. I spent enough on the mini version, maybe i should have just saved the money towards the big one. Either way, i really enjoyed the build, very clever, and im really happy about it, so thank you again.

That's awesome! Did the build go smoothly? I haven't built any of those mini-modulars IRL yet (though I will probably next year). Any chance you could post some pics of it completed here or on Rebrickable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doji Sekushi posted:

I have gone into the deep end with this Lego business I think. The wife and I just started a few months back after not touching a brick in years. So far we've bought every botanical set, the globe, the chess set, ship in a bottle, the 4 available modular sets, and nearly every star wars set out aside from the UCS ships.

Then I found my old Legos at my mom's house and gave them to my 3 year old daughter - it's all the original space and castles. She took to them with way more interest than she ever had in duplo, it's amazing. We bought her every available friends set and gave her a few (rest are for Xmas/bday) and she's way into them. She can't follow the instructions but has me build them and then goes nuts just creating.

Personally, I just finished the Mos Eisley Cantina, loved it. It just barely fits on top of on of my shorter bookcases and just looks neat.

I'm eyeing the Ecto-1 while waiting for the Delorean to restock, but I'm disappointed that it's the" Afterlife" version and doesn't come with the original Ghostbusters as minifigs. Not a huge deal breaker I guess, but is it a decent build?

Although I do still have 3 more Star Wars helmets and the probe droid to build.

Most people go way into the deep end when they first get back into it and just impluse buy tons of stuff. After a while you'll start to level out and it's easier to judge what you want to buy and skip. They make so much cool stuff it's easy to just want all of it and it's impossible to keep up with everything. Which is why I think a lot of people only stick with one or two lines.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Yeah, it's a good thing I don't have more space to display sets or it would be a lot harder to resist the urge to buy everything.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I have a blast building with my kids (7 and 9), we just finished the Mario 64 ? Block. How was the globe, both as a build and in the final appearance?

Doji Sekushi posted:

I have gone into the deep end with this Lego business I think. The wife and I just started a few months back after not touching a brick in years. So far we've bought every botanical set, the globe, the chess set, ship in a bottle, the 4 available modular sets, and nearly every star wars set out aside from the UCS ships.

Then I found my old Legos at my mom's house and gave them to my 3 year old daughter - it's all the original space and castles. She took to them with way more interest than she ever had in duplo, it's amazing. We bought her every available friends set and gave her a few (rest are for Xmas/bday) and she's way into them. She can't follow the instructions but has me build them and then goes nuts just creating.

Personally, I just finished the Mos Eisley Cantina, loved it. It just barely fits on top of on of my shorter bookcases and just looks neat.

I'm eyeing the Ecto-1 while waiting for the Delorean to restock, but I'm disappointed that it's the" Afterlife" version and doesn't come with the original Ghostbusters as minifigs. Not a huge deal breaker I guess, but is it a decent build?

Although I do still have 3 more Star Wars helmets and the probe droid to build.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI

Ratatozsk posted:

I have a blast building with my kids (7 and 9), we just finished the Mario 64 ? Block. How was the globe, both as a build and in the final appearance?

Globe looks cool but it was super monotonous.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

veni veni veni posted:

After a while you'll start to level out and it's easier to judge what you want to buy and skip.

This was a ten-year process for me. Only the combination of a baby and literally running out of allowable places got me to slow down.

Also less money. Babies are expensive.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
UCS Snowspeeder was my first big-boy UCS acquisition. Got it, I wanna say on May 4th of whenever it came out. I was happy to build it, but as I’m starting to run out of shelf space it’s always the Lego set my eyes settling me on as I scan options to disassemble.

My question is:
Do I disassemble and keep lots of white, gray and orange parts?

Do I try to sell it.. Disassembled and Ziplocked?

Is it worth much that way? I may or may not have the box but I imagine that makes the shipping awkwardly sized.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

UCS snowspeeder would probably be one of my last sets standing if for some reason I had to sell my collection off . I love that set.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

veni veni veni posted:

UCS snowspeeder would probably be one of my last sets standing if for some reason I had to sell my collection off . I love that set.

It’s a good set and a neat thing. It just takes up a lot of space and I just don’t have the love for SW sets I thought I did.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
If I got into SW sets I'd have to hang them from the ceiling

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Futanari Damacy posted:

If I got into SW sets I'd have to hang them from the ceiling

Problem with that is they all look like poo poo from the bottom

Youd be buying this

and displaying it like this

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
I've done that. You've just gotta get your angles right, there's typically not a lot to see on the bottoms.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They're spaceships. They can fly upside down.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Was that Optimus prime May 1 rumor ever debunked? Or is there still a possibility it might be happening?

Also, as an aside, I’m low-key over here hoping one of you will make a reasonable offer on my snow speeder.🤣

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Feenix posted:

Was that Optimus prime May 1 rumor ever debunked? Or is there still a possibility it might be happening?

Also, as an aside, I’m low-key over here hoping one of you will make a reasonable offer on my snow speeder.🤣

I have some pogs....

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Somebody is writing a dissertation on AFOLS
https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/190163-afol-dissertation-participants-needed/

took me about 15 minutes to do the survey.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Feenix posted:

Honestly wish I could give you an offer, but budgets been lean for a while now.

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 11, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Y'all should trade some sets. The funnest type of transaction

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
God help me, I might get the Hungarian Horntail even though I haven't touched a Harry Potter book in almost twenty years and even though I'm fully aware of the author being a garbage person. This is the first bit of Harry Potter Lego that I'm genuinely considering buying, especially at that price.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

After the announcement of the cancellation, this seemed like a good idea in case I ever get around to building that record shop modular I've been dreaming of:

It was not a good idea, but at least they're really nice to look at.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fun pop quiz: how would y'all build a browsable table of LP's without dropping them loose into a 2 stud wide channel?

Secure them with hinges somehow? Wedge between studs? Something else?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
these?
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalo...ainer%5D#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

xzzy posted:

Fun pop quiz: how would y'all build a browsable table of LP's without dropping them loose into a 2 stud wide channel?

Secure them with hinges somehow? Wedge between studs? Something else?

obviously the solution is to build a motorized jukebox that can flap through pages of them

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

After the announcement of the cancellation, this seemed like a good idea in case I ever get around to building that record shop modular I've been dreaming of:

It was not a good idea, but at least they're really nice to look at.

Yeah I really wish those sets were more interesting, or not so drat expensive. I know I'm not the target audience but some of those pieces were really cool.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Skios posted:

God help me, I might get the Hungarian Horntail even though I haven't touched a Harry Potter book in almost twenty years and even though I'm fully aware of the author being a garbage person. This is the first bit of Harry Potter Lego that I'm genuinely considering buying, especially at that price.

This looks dope.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Those vintage caps are live on the VIP shop...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I got the bonsai tree the other day and I started building it and it's pretty fun. I was really excited for the cherry blossom config until I noticed something that can't be unnoticed:
It's made of frogs! And you can see all the frog legs and eyes and now I can't unsee the frog legs and eyes and there's frogs all over the tree oh no..... OH NOOOOOOOO

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I think that’s a feature, not a bug.

But also I went green for that reason.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Snowmankilla posted:

I think that’s a feature, not a bug.

But also I went green for that reason.

I have bought 100 Bright pink flowers and twist caps just in case I can fix it. The pink looks better tho!
BUT THE FROGS NOOOOOOOOO

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A couple we're good friends with, one of them is very into puzzles/Lego/general building stuff so they went to the recently-ish opened Legoland in the NY awhile ago, but since their trip intersected with a spike in COVID not a lot of stuff was available there so the park gave them 4 free tickets, so they invited us to go last weekend because hey free Legoland.

As far as parks go if I was a kid I'd think it was rad as hell but it was fun to check out with some friends, the important thing is that their shops are pretty good and it was cool to see a large spread of all the stuff Lego does and uh it got my wife and I into Legos.

I was obsessed with Blacktron and all the castle Lego stuff when I was a kid and had a bunch of small sets and a few big ones. I remember salivating over Technic sets in their catalogs and stuff but my parents would always tell me I couldn't handle those. As far as my wife goes she had never had Legos at all as a kid. It was cool to see all the stuff they've cranked out since.

Anyway long story short

My wife picked out the Megalodon and the bouquet also but she didn't assemble that one yet.

I had so much fun putting the Ducati together, and I love all the details you don't even really see once these are all assembled like all the gears and how everything interacts with each other and stuff. THAT said,

Cojawfee posted:

I think you'll probably burn yourself out on technic after a couple big builds. Buy some sets that cover the bases with lots of gears, differentials, linear actuators, springs, and pneumatics and you've pretty much got everything you're going to get out of Technic. In my opinion at least. The sets aren't as interesting to look at as a detailed Lego build, and there's only so much you can do with the set of mechanical things they have.

I can already see this happening, I see myself getting one or two more bigger builds and calling it a day for Technic, but these were very fun to work with. We love the stuff we got.

The race plane for $10 I really enjoyed putting it together and oh my god I love those colors and its look. I like this a lot more than the jet build of it.

Horizon is one of my wife's favorite video games ever so she's super hype that there's a Horizon set coming out soon, I'm excited to see that one come together ( :haw: ).

Seeing all the themes while we were there, the character designs and mechs for the Monkie Kid theme are fuckin' awesome, that would be the hypest poo poo ever to me if I was a kid and we almost splurged on that City of Lanterns one but dang. I was surprised they don't seem to sell a lot of the vehicles/stuff from that separately like I'd get the moon rabbit mech or whatever in a heartbeat. I really do love all the look of like every character for it.

One thing that surprised me, the Ducati was missing two pieces! That never happened to me as a kid! Fortunately they weren't major but I quintuple checked the box/every bag/disassembled/reassembled to make sure I didn't use something in the wrong place. But it also included a part that's not used in the set at all. Fortunately it still comes together and looks great without them but I requested the pieces and Lego is already sending them to me so that's awesome of them. But it made me curious, obviously missing pieces are a thing that is possible but for any of you that have been doing this for a long time, have you ever encountered it yourself?

I love that the Ducati has all of these very specific pieces unique to it but also the windshield is held in place by two Ninjago swords fuuuuck yessss

tldr: Lego is the best

I notice there's various software folks use to design builds, does anyone here use those? Is there a particular best one?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

HootTheOwl posted:

I got the bonsai tree the other day and I started building it and it's pretty fun. I was really excited for the cherry blossom config until I noticed something that can't be unnoticed:
It's made of frogs! And you can see all the frog legs and eyes and now I can't unsee the frog legs and eyes and there's frogs all over the tree oh no..... OH NOOOOOOOO

If you ever go to Japan during the Sakura you will find that all the cherry blossoms are actually frogs.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
what are the good modular buildings sets? assembly square is...not cheap but it looks nice, but idk if any of the others are any good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

protip don't dust it with canned air like I did yesterday.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

what are the good modular buildings sets? assembly square is...not cheap but it looks nice, but idk if any of the others are any good

Assembly Square is the pick of the bunch.

Bookshop looks nice but is a little small. Police Station was the closest they've done to a large, single-purpose building in a while (though the Hotel also fills that role). Boutique Hotel is pretty unusual architecturally and might work better as a standalone than with the others.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 13, 2022

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I liked the diner and the corner garage a ton, also spring lantern festival technically is a modular as well, they’re all out of print by now though :v:

Book store was my first and I like it a lot even if it may feel lacking compared to others - I just like the birch tree. Police station isn’t my cup of tea but I’m told it has some great „storytelling“ going on inside.

If I were to start out again I’d probably go book store and hotel, maaaaybe police station. Assembly square is huge but doesn’t feel that special to me for some reason.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Diner and Boutique Hotel are, IMO, the best of the currently available.

For retired sets, Brick Bank and Detectives Office are both great.

Bookshop is possibly the worst modular they have made. It's essentially a remake of the Pet Shop, which was already a substandard modular.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Turns out the Temple of the Endless Sea comes with a free bust of Karl Marx.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Waltzing Along posted:

Diner and Boutique Hotel are, IMO, the best of the currently available.
Diner is well retired by now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Diner is well retired by now.

It is? Isn't it only 3 years old? Oh wow...it's older. Time flies way too fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've been getting into the Modulars myself lately and yeah, only ones currently being sold are Assembly Square, the Book Shop, the Police Station and the Hotel.
Also the Daily Bugle, if you count it since it's got the peg holes to link up.