Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Insurrectum posted:

I moved from DC to MD midway through the year, but didn't end up changing my withholding state from DC to MD until this year. I change my address with my company, but I didn't realize I had to fill out a separate form to change my withholding information. I ended up vastly overpaying my DC withholding didn't pay any MD tax, so I am being hit with a substantial interest penalty for my MD state taxes (at least, that's what TurboTax is saying). Is this just something I'll have to suck up and pay?

You should see about applying for a first time penalty abatement waiver. You might not qualify, but your situation sounds common enough. "I updated my employer and thought that took care of it." ought to get it off the books if the person reviewing it is reasonable. Pay at a minimum the complete amount of tax due as soon as possible to stop the timer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Stupid question and I am p sure the answer is no. IF my only 'income' was like 200 in dividends, I don't have to file taxes for that right, since it is under the standard deduction right? Only reason I might want to is to try to carryover some stock losses of like 1k but I am out of the market and don't know if it is even worth my time to try that, thanks!

Michael Corleone fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 11, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Michael Corleone posted:

Stupid question and I am p sure the answer is no. IF my only 'income' was like 200 in dividends, I don't have to file taxes for that right, since it is under the standard deduction right? Only reason I might want to is to try to carryover some stock losses of like 1k but I am out of the market and don't know if it is even worth my time to try that, thanks!

Nice edit, but cash is income.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Harsh but fair. That would take like 4 minutes to file. My real question is if I don't plan on being a 'day trader' ever again, is it worth it to try to carry over the stock losses?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Michael Corleone posted:

Harsh but fair. That would take like 4 minutes to file. My real question is if I don't plan on being a 'day trader' ever again, is it worth it to try to carry over the stock losses?

You can carry over losses to the following year and owe up to $1110 less in taxes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I used Credit Karma the last 2 years and was happy with it, and the free state filing was nice. When Turbotax bought Credit Karma, the tax filing platform was sold to Square, which was then rebranded Cash App taxes. Any thoughts on whether I should use it again? From reading the last few pages, the thread seems to recommend FreeTaxUSA.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

TurboTax is telling me I can "save up to $1200 on my taxes right now by contributing to a traditional IRA by April 18, 2022." What's going on here? I don't necessarily trust TurboTax, but I sure would like to save $1200 on my gigantic tax bill. I got a new job in January that actually has a retirement benefit, but I have a Roth IRA and a 401k there, not a traditional IRA.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

TurboTax is telling me I can "save up to $1200 on my taxes right now by contributing to a traditional IRA by April 18, 2022." What's going on here? I don't necessarily trust TurboTax, but I sure would like to save $1200 on my gigantic tax bill. I got a new job in January that actually has a retirement benefit, but I have a Roth IRA and a 401k there, not a traditional IRA.

It's telling you that you may be able to make a tax deductible 2021 contribution to a traditional IRA.

Depending on your income and whether you've made any contributions to your Roth IRA for 2021 this may be VERY NOT TRUE.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The one thing I'll give Turbotax in this scenario is it's not too difficult to just make up a number that you've "contributed" and see what it does to your taxes, before you go and actually make said contribution.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I have a friend that refuses to think about her taxes.
This year, she moved from Colorado to Oregon while working with the same company, and has done work with 3 other companies on the side. 5 total forms,
Is this something pretty easy to handle on freetaxusa? Is it just enter all forms (4x W2 & 1 1095-c) and go? She did receive moving expenses from her main job.
Alternatively, how does one find a good tax service within a week of the deadline. Would she be able to file an extension to ease the pressure?

Help me get out of doing them without just :sever:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

deong posted:

This year, she moved from Colorado to Oregon while working with the same company, and has done work with 3 other companies on the side. 5 total forms,
Is this something pretty easy to handle on freetaxusa? Is it just enter all forms (4x W2 & 1 1095-c) and go? She did receive moving expenses from her main job.
Alternatively, how does one find a good tax service within a week of the deadline. Would she be able to file an extension to ease the pressure?

Email them the extension form and :sever: . 4x w-2 is a blessing - they probably don't have a bunch of 0 withholding. Hopefully every job was estimating them in their eventual agi tax bracket. They can just put 0 down for what they think they owe. It doesn't matter much if they're going to refuse to do it anyways.

It's their problem not yours. Put it out of your mind.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The state taxes are the not fun part, since they are partial year returns and the consumer tax software often doesn’t support that.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

So... In Freetaxusa's favor, they charged me $15 to file my federal and state taxes this year, compared to almost $170 for TaxAct last year. The bad news is that they don't support buying I-bonds with your return.

I wasn't planning to max out my bonds this year anyway, but it's something to be aware of for the future.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Let's say A gifted B one Bitcoin back in 2014. Since then B has sold bits of it every year. Does B owe tax on these sales?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

socketwrencher posted:

Let's say A gifted B one Bitcoin back in 2014. Since then B has sold bits of it every year. Does B owe tax on these sales?

On realized income? Yes. Of course.

Being a buttcoin doesn't matter. You could replace this with anything like gold pieces, a silo of grain, a stamp collection........income is income. How it's treated may vary based on the type and how long it's held but those are details. It's still taxable income.

mystes
May 31, 2006

socketwrencher posted:

I'm imagining this hypothetical tax system where B gives A a bitcoin and A gives B a bitcoin and then they both magically never owe tax when they sell them

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

mystes posted:

I'm imagining this hypothetical tax system where B gives A a bitcoin and A gives B a bitcoin and then they both magically never owe tax when they sell them

I guarantee this exact scenario was dreamed up by some bitcoiners at some point and they tried it with the IRS.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mystes posted:

I'm pretty sure when you gift a Bitcoin, you immediately realize the gains on it in the same way as if you traded that Bitcoin for Litecoin or whatever.

mystes
May 31, 2006

KillHour posted:

I'm pretty sure when you gift a Bitcoin, you immediately realize the gains on it in the same way as if you traded that Bitcoin for Litecoin or whatever.
This does not appear to be correct?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

It is not correct. It’s treated like any other gift - basis transfers to the donee

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Huh good to know. Then I guess it would be a total wash regardless.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Thanks all, makes sense. Heard conflicting information from someone with an interest in wanting a different answer lol.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

deong posted:

Being in a very similar situation, one thing I can offer is that CO telecommuting rules say they only charge you tax on Colorado income you earned while physically present in the state. So she needs to know that going in. After that, OR charges tax on every penny you earn no matter where or how, but then gives you a credit for tax liability to another state.

The CO rules are funky because I telecommute but visit the home office for like 2 weeks a year, so I owe CO tax on those two weeks.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is it strange that the IRS refund site doesn't even say they have received my return, despite the fact that I mailed it in on February 7th?

"You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again."

maybe I had the refund amount wrong?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

actionjackson posted:

is it strange that the IRS refund site doesn't even say they have received my return, despite the fact that I mailed it in on February 7th?

"You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again."

maybe I had the refund amount wrong?

Mailed? Like paper? I would find a new hobby you're going to be waiting a LONG time. (Months at a minimum.)

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

H110Hawk posted:

Mailed? Like paper? I would find a new hobby you're going to be waiting a LONG time. (Months at a minimum.)
Unfortunately paper returns don't show up in the system at all until they begin processing and with the current backlog it probably will be months though it should be back-dated to the actual receipt date once that's done.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

last year i did paper but I got my refund in march I think

I only do paper because I don't qualify for the free e-file, and I find paying to file my taxes absurd

interestingly enough my state (MN) was paper and I got my refund in only a few weeks

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

actionjackson posted:

I only do paper because I don't qualify for the free e-file, and I find paying to file my taxes absurd

interestingly enough my state (MN) was paper and I got my refund in only a few weeks
The states are separate so they're not running into the same backlogs, at least not as a block (there might be individual states that are behind for all I know). My e-filed state tax refund was sent out two or three days after I filed that return.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Peyote Panda posted:

The states are separate so they're not running into the same backlogs, at least not as a block (there might be individual states that are behind for all I know). My e-filed state tax refund was sent out two or three days after I filed that return.

right. my only paranoia is if i simply forgot to send in my federal taxes (highly unlikely) I have no way of knowing if they simply received them or not.

i'm pretty sure it's still just sitting in a pile somewhere, as their control center status page says they have finished all paper returns submitted prior to april...2021 lol

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
All paper returns have their data entry done by hand. The IRS does not use any scanning technology at all. Lol.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

YanniRotten posted:

It's telling you that you may be able to make a tax deductible 2021 contribution to a traditional IRA.

Depending on your income and whether you've made any contributions to your Roth IRA for 2021 this may be VERY NOT TRUE.
I mean, I think all of the contributions are for 2022 because I opened the Roth at my new job in February. If they are, should I open the traditional IRA to reduce my tax obligation?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I mean, I think all of the contributions are for 2022 because I opened the Roth at my new job in February. If they are, should I open the traditional IRA to reduce my tax obligation?

IRAs (Roth or traditional) aren't through employers. Whatever you've got at your new job isn't a Roth IRA. It might be a Roth 401k? You have to set IRAs up yourself, and if you haven't done that, you don't have one, so theoretically still can make contributions to one for 2021, but getting everything up and funded before Monday (the deadline for 2021 contributions) might not be possible because there isn't enough time.

raminasi fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 14, 2022

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

You're right, it's a Roth 401k. I'll look into whether I can set one up before Monday.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
I contributed to my Roth IRA throughout 2021, but while going through our W2s and 1099-DIV statements for taxes it seems my wife and I filing jointly are above the MAGI threshold for being able to contribute to a Roth.

I’ve already done some reading on the backdoor Roth, and my questions are:
1. I’ve recharacterized my 2021 contributions from my Vanguard Roth IRA to a Vanguard traditional IRA and then converted it back to my Roth. My understanding is that I need to report the contributions in section 1 of form 8606 for this tax year, but because the Roth conversion happened in 2022 I will report that in section 2 in next year’s return. Is that correct?
2. I’ve updated my withholding at work to no longer directly contribute to my Roth IRA, but I unfortunately already have some 2022 contributions in that I’d like to get out. Are there any penalties for performing another recharacterization on those 2022 contributions and then performing another Roth conversion in the next few days? It seems you can only do a Roth rollover once in a 12-month period, but multiple conversions might be OK?

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

actionjackson posted:

Freetaxusa.com won’t charge you for a federal return at any income threshold just FYI. State return will have a fee but it’s probably still better than waiting a million years for a paper return to go through.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tumblr hype man posted:

Freetaxusa.com won’t charge you for a federal return at any income threshold just FYI. State return will have a fee but it’s probably still better than waiting a million years for a paper return to go through.

well as i mentioned, my state paper return only took two weeks for the refund. but i'll keep that other site in mind for next year

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010
i sell used clothes. i spent about $750 on inventory in 2019. i sat on it for two years and in 2021 had about $1,000 of sales.

i didn't report any inventory, or anything about this business, on my 2019 taxes because this was a business venture that didn't materialize in 2019 or 2020. however, it's a bona fide business now. i guess i should have reported this in 2019, so lay into me for not having foresight if you must.

but now, do i report $750 of inventory on my 2021 taxes but $0 as my cost of purchases? when i tried this it seemed to cause some kind of error in turbotax, so i called the free tax advice hotline, and the rep (with 25 years of experience) told me "that's totally not a lot of money" and to deduct $750 as a materials expense to make it go away. i didn't take his advice (seemed shady?) and re-did everything and i seem to have cleared the error, but i'm still a little worried.

so now i have $750 of inventory that materialized out of nothing? is this audit bait? is there any clean way for me to do this?

if this makes zero sense feel free to lay into me for that as well.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it's not totally clear from your post: did you sell all $750 of the clothes? If so, you don't have any inventory. Inventory is unsold goods purchased for the purpose of selling in the future.

If you sold the clothes, that's Cost of Goods Sold.

Your Schedule C would look like this, assuming no other purchases or sales:

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 15, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It's amazing how we are paying over 20,000 a year for Ultratax but four days before the deadline it slows down to a crawl and won't work at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Covok posted:

It's amazing how we are paying over 20,000 a year for Ultratax but four days before the deadline it slows down to a crawl and won't work at all.

If it's a US centric product (or has mostly US users) just get in there at 2AM and ride the lightning.