Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
decent look but can you make sure to use a little more novocaine this time? a bit of pain got through during my last visit and i don’t want to take any chances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

decent look but can you make sure to use a little more novocaine this time? a bit of pain got through during my last visit and i don’t want to take any chances
Senior year of High School our drama department put on Little Shop of Horrors. I auditioned for exactly one role and I got it. And I had a blast with it, because it was the best role in the show (besides the voice of the plant.)

I was the dentist. I died at the end of Act I if I recall. I sang the line "I know my Mom will be proud of me" directly at my Mom who was about six rows back. I remember that like it just happened.

Thanks for all the encouragement, folks. Melissa is livid I wore those shoes. Boots are definitely on order. She's legit agitated I wore those shoes after she told me not to. I'm incorrigible.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
The boots should be the skin of some kind of predatory animal. Snake or alligator are top tier but large cat print will do in a pinch.

Then if anyone asks where you got them, just say "not in a store, little lady" look them directly in the eye and start shredding like gently caress.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
You need a ring on each finger, preferably big and turquoise.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

Senior year of High School our drama department put on Little Shop of Horrors. I auditioned for exactly one role and I got it. And I had a blast with it, because it was the best role in the show (besides the voice of the plant.)

I was the dentist. I died at the end of Act I if I recall. I sang the line "I know my Mom will be proud of me" directly at my Mom who was about six rows back. I remember that like it just happened.

Thanks for all the encouragement, folks. Melissa is livid I wore those shoes. Boots are definitely on order. She's legit agitated I wore those shoes after she told me not to. I'm incorrigible.

steve martin would be proud :patriot:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

I hope those are stretch jeans otherwise its going to be hard to do the high kicks.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Lester Shy posted:

You need a ring on each finger, preferably big and turquoise.

yeah was gunna say same or skull rings

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Boots. Cowboy boots with rhinestones on 'em.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Dig the shirt, I gotta get one like that. Boots and maybe one more metal bracelet will add just enough extra douchiness. Also you're planning to wear the shades on stage at all times right?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the look is hinged on the shades staying on

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
None of you see the punchline coming?

Those are just my new glasses. They have transition lenses, and I was outside. They were so expensive they are the only pair I have.

That's very on brand, I think.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
dr faustus wearing transition lenses is so on-brand that I assumed it

but I repeat: without very dark sunnies on stage you will appear nude, broken; shameful

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

It's good to see you doing well Dr. F! Love the guitar also :)

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Young people just invented wearing Doc Martens so I'd check them out if you need any footwear ideas.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Might I suggest some fresh white Reeboks, for kicking some rear end.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Bill Posters posted:

Might I suggest some fresh white Reeboks, for kicking some rear end.

No joke. Some white hi-tops with that outfit would look sweet.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Agreed. And paint one nail on each hand

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Young people just invented wearing Doc Martens so I'd check them out if you need any footwear ideas.

He's in the Carolinas, I don't know if they let people wear docs without white laces down south of the mason dixon

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Guys I just read all of this to lady Faustus and we are rolling. Thank you all for being such good sports!

She is STILL pissed about the shoe (I said, "Honey you can only even see one!" "But I know the other one is there.")

Y'all are great. :3:

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Dr. Faustus posted:

174 lbs. today. Went pants shopping. Melissa has bought me a basic wardrobe starter kit but I'm here to show off a cool linen shirt and ripped/patched jeans she got for me. The dress shoes are a huge faux pas an she is very angry about them. I picked the guitar for you.

Reduced huge image size.

It's douchy enough, right?

This dad has discovered I've been playing his guitar while he's at work, and he's not mad just disappointed.

When's your gig at the Chug Suckle Faustus?

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Spanish Manlove posted:

He's in the Carolinas, I don't know if they let people wear docs without white laces down south of the mason dixon

Ooof good call.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

174 lbs. today. Went pants shopping. Melissa has bought me a basic wardrobe starter kit but I'm here to show off a cool linen shirt and ripped/patched jeans she got for me. The dress shoes are a huge faux pas an she is very angry about them. I picked the guitar for you.

Reduced huge image size.

It's douchy enough, right?

You look a bit like the love child of Al DiMeola and Steve Vai.

Which is a good thing.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

darkwasthenight posted:

When's your gig at the Chug Suckle Faustus?
Chug Suckle passed on me, they know I don't actually have any kids.

Apparently that matters at the Chug Suckle. Well, Chug Suckle South. Chug Suckle North only does Tribute bands but my homage to the dentist from Little Shop doesn't qualify.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Was browsing through my saved pics and came across this, not sure on the source but thought I'd post it here as we don't yet have a stupid but kind of awesome music poo poo thread.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Chug Suckle

Formerly Sneed's?

field balm fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 14, 2022

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

field balm posted:

Was browsing through my saved pics and came across this, not sure on the source but thought I'd post it here as we don't yet have a stupid but kind of awesome music poo poo thread.

Formerly Sneed's?

The world needs more telecasters with different silhouettes. I bet once that thing is done it's gonna be a party animal.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Needs a blocked Floyd Rose imo

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Where's the warlock body telecaster?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm almost 100% positive this has been in the thread before, and if not, that's a major problem.

https://reverb.com/item/4673063-highly-modified-bc-rich-world-s-most-maybe-only-un-metal-warlock

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Do a mockingbird and I'd be very interested

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BonHair posted:

Do a mockingbird and I'd be very interested

That would actually be a good guitar

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Stupid Music Schad is on me because I just remembered that iconic wanklords Dream Theater wrote and recorded this song:

https://youtu.be/3nBpLzNwkZw

They were already the kind of band i'm kind of embarrassed to admit being a fan of. A sad, naive, patriotic and kinda racist power ballad just puts it over the edge for me. Especially since the rest of Octavarium is pretty tight, actually - maybe the tightest poo poo they wrote since Scenes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I really like the wank sections in that song, some of the best on the album. Only Dream Theater would think their 9/11 ballad needs an extended instrumental section.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Not really stupid. I like this Herman Li guitar

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Not really stupid. I like this Herman Li guitar

That's a Jason Becker signature one isn't it?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

That's a Jason Becker signature one isn't it?

The video was sort of hyping a Jason Becker twitch fundraiser so that would make a lot of sense. I thought it looked familiar but you got me.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
DragonForce is one of those bands that got big with the Hero games and people went apeshit over while guitarists seem to kneejerk about how it's all edited and they don't actually play like that etc etc and generally poo poo over them.

I think their music can be fun, but just listen to one or two songs and call it done, it isn't exactly my style, but I never understood the hate. The band themselves all seem like sweet dudes as well, who just play nerdy technical music and don't give a gently caress.

gently caress it, nerds who got big ripping solos and having songs about fantasy princesses and dragons? Legends, the lot of them.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

while guitarists seem to kneejerk about how it's all edited and they don't actually play like that etc etc and generally poo poo over them.

That's just guitarists talking about any other guitar player though.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah but guitarists really loving hated Guitar Hero because something something delegitimise guitar or some poo poo. DragonForce copped so much undue poo poo.

I think because I considered myself a "guitarist/musician" way after all that poo poo I skipped a lot of it, and by the time I started giving a poo poo about other guitarists I'm too old and shitposty to look down on weirdos like Li and Vai because gently caress man, they're just nerds having fun, why would you give a poo poo?

I'll poo poo on self-important wanks like Yngwie tho. Red Ferrari Blues rear end bitch.

I also like Mayer because he's a good player but more importantly a good songwriter. It's pop but who gives a poo poo, it's good. And most of the ego-fueled poo poo I've seen from him turns out to be extrapolated from milquetoast comments. He says "I like heavier Strats because I feel the sustain longer" and that turns into "LIGHT STRATS ARE AWFUL AND DON'T SUSTAIN SAYS MAYER."

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Chalupa Joe posted:

That's just guitarists talking about any other guitar player though.

Very technical, but not very musical. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

I got to see Dragonforce live in either 2005 or 2006; they had Protest the Hero open for them and those guys sucked it up so bad that show that they mooned the audience for not cheering louder for them.

Maybe they weren’t drinking so heavily at that point, before GH3, or maybe we just got them on a good night, but they definitely could do it live. Or at least they could do a convincing facsimile of the albums. I’ve seen footage from shows they were too drunk to play at, but the whole act wasn’t just studio tricks. If you got them on a good night, you got a great show.

We also viewed it as a novelty, as the ultimate expression of “what if your guitar album contained all the notes?” Like I’m pretty sure power metal is most broadly a genre that puts out really shiny finished products on albums, or at least it certainly was when I was up on the acts of the mid-to-late 2000s. It’s like a monster truck rally, it’s not supposed to be cranked out on a tascam in your garage.

I guess at the end of the day, gatekeeping how others play or enjoy people playing your instrument is stupid music poo poo.