Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah I think that cartoon would more accuately be concern trolling. Like "you can't spend money on X, what about our homeless vets!?" said by people who will fight tooth and nail to keep those vets homeless. Rall definitely does not give a poo poo about the homeless outside of their use as a rhetorical cudgel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Kikas posted:

I always figured that it was going "but let's not talk about Bad Thing A, what about Bad Thing B?" with the intent to stop Bad Thing A from improving.
That's how pretty much everybody uses and understands the word, so thanks to the magic of descriptivism that's what it means :v:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean, Putin is famously an ex-KGB thug, which is a pretty USSR thing to be. Not that I think for a minute that's what Ol' Mikey is going for but, y'know.
:allears:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fister Roboto posted:

lmao

Why am I not surprised that Branco has an incredibly basic, childlike understanding of his own faith?

I'm just curious which denomination celebrates Easter Wednesday.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

lmao

Why am I not surprised that Branco has an incredibly basic, childlike understanding of his own faith?

Jesus, famous for beating up people. "I did not come to bring peace, but a smack down on all you bitches who opposes me!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Patriarch Kirill of Moscow keeps supporting Putin.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Jesus, famous for beating up people. "I did not come to bring peace, but a smack down on all you bitches who opposes me!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Local hermit gets fed up with the renaissance fair next door."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

They weren’t directly opposing him, they were profiting off the beliefs of others. Cough.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
There are way too many people fully clothed in that Brit Toon, wth? :confused:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: The Real Question

https://twitter.com/clickhole/status/960568745298223104?lang=en

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

For god sakes guys! Hes not making a good point. He works for the Russians. Of course he doesnt want people to send supplies to the country Russia is trying to conquer right now as we speak!

Rall is straight up propaganda.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Everything in this thread is straight up propaganda though.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Hihohe posted:

For god sakes guys! Hes not making a good point. He works for the Russians. Of course he doesnt want people to send supplies to the country Russia is trying to conquer right now as we speak!

I mean, that's the worst kind of propaganda; propaganda where there is an actual point and teeth to the accusation. It's timed awfully conveniently, and it's definitely concern trolling, though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Russia could also be spending their tank budget on their homeless population, or they could spice things up and donate to the Ukrainian homeless. There's a lot more of those around lately for some reason.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
It's a false choice - national funding is not a zero-sum game.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Russia could also be spending their tank budget on their homeless population, or they could spice things up and donate to the Ukrainian homeless. There's a lot more of those around lately for some reason.

Is seeing a genuine example of Whataboutism in a discussion about how Rall's comic wasn't Whataboutism irony or conicidence?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Solving homelessness would be a better use of money than funding yet more wars but then Raytheon wouldn't make as much money so who can say whether it would be good or bad

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Sarcastr0 posted:

Correct. We should be doing both of the things in that cartoon.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pilchenstein posted:

:allears:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Another good Rall, he's a champ

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Pilchenstein posted:

Nominating this for new thread title

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I find it especially telling that Rall's cartoon comment begins with

quote:

Regardless of how you feel about the Russian invasion of Ukraine,

If he had instead opened with "The Russian invasion of Ukraine is unquestionably horrific, but" then I might have given him the benefit of the doubt, but I can't help but feel that Rall sees the invasion as justified to some extent (or is deliberately holding back on criticising it)

I might be wrong, maybe he's ranted about how horrible Russia is and i haven't seen it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I might be wrong, maybe he's ranted about how horrible Russia is and i haven't seen it

Nope!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

He has in fact done the opposite and said that the invasion is Ukraine's fault for provoking Russia.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

Again with the hammer and sickle. Is this some "bad thing = communism" stuff? They haven't been the USSR in decades.

It's a universal symbol for Russian imperialism, OP

Hihohe posted:

There should be a "Russia state-affiliated media" tag with every Rall posting in this thread.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Sarcastr0 posted:

Yeah when a conservative or a liberal's going on about how the government has to cut money here to spend it elsewhere or for the national debt or whatever, we can recognise they're full of it because it doesn't work that way. They actually don't want the government to do something (welfare!) because it'll cut out some capitalist's scheme. Genuine leftist, Ted Rall, is using the reasoning the left generally rejects?

I think you can talk about cutting military funding or breaking the MIC without suggesting aid to Ukraine has to end. Also, I think you can talk about improving welfare without suggesting aid to Ukraine has to end

Finally "Q: What is imperialism? A: Send $13b to Ukraine" doesn't make sense

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's not that we can't afford help for homeless people and more money to bomb foreigners, clearly we can afford both if we wanted, it's that the government's excuse for not helping people here is that supposedly we can't afford it so when that same government spends a gorillion dollars blowing little kids apart all over the world, some people start to put two and two together and suspect that maybe the protestations of national bankruptcy are bullshit.

If people think we can't afford to bomb Europe more, seems like that's the fault of the politicians in power constantly lying about national budgets and deficits :shrug:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
Pretty cool they got Weird Al to anchor Weekend Update.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Oh, good, consequentialism. That's never gone badly as an argument.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
"DIRECTLY" resulted from his ideas!
"Directly"?
Well not directly.

I'm sure Tinsley is one of those guys who counts nazi soldier deaths among "deaths under communism" too.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Wait until he finds out how much suffering and death capitalism has caused. I expect his next comic will be calling for the removal of Adam Smith from everything

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kaza42 posted:

Wait until he finds out how much suffering and death capitalism has caused. I expect his next comic will be calling for the removal of Adam Smith from everything

Actually those were all because people were just lazy and didn't pull themselves up by their bootstraps. Checkmate communailures.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Pilchenstein posted:

People get mad when you say it but yeah, that's the whole point of political cartoons.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

People get mad when you say it but yeah, that's the whole point of political cartoons.

Who could possibly get mad at that?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hey! Propaganda is state backed.
Some of these sickos are doing it because the WANT to!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There are many definitions of propaganda (a lot of which are uselessly overbroad), but used as a prejorative, no, not all political cartoons are, for example, state-backed bad faith messaging that disguises its source. We do not have to pretend that Marty Two Bulls and Rall are the same.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 13, 2022

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rall’s only cartoons regarding the war have been to point out American hypocrisy. It’s not wrong, but it shows him dancing around the issue.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Discendo Vox posted:

We do not have to pretend that Marty Two Bulls and Rall are the same.
Weird that you'd pick Marty to make this point and not one of the hundred interchangeable ghouls who are not only published to a much wider audience than Turd Rall, but also much more effective at getting their lovely message across. I imagine I'll go to my grave wondering what kind of clever rhetorical trick you pulled here lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/1514282671064719364?t=OI3dTHdjt5upmm1x5a0PTQ&s=19