Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

love to tell the news how I didn't just stop the malfunctioning speeding car even though that was always an option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
that feel when your car is operated by a piece of poo poo linux

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
no wonder teslas are so quiet :newlol:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

lol

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Smythe posted:

:thurman:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/YouGovAmerica/status/1514250175199551496?s=20&t=-wXPbyvNKmS6T_CRzg9bZg

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
man I can’t believe Americans are stupid as hell

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

This instantly damaged my HP. Thank you

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

leftist heap posted:

It's really unbelievable

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

the question about traffic is confusing imo. they didn't specify if they are referring to some sort of traffic per capita figure, nor did they ask if cities allow more people to travel daily than a rural area of the same size could support, or anything like that. they just vaguely asked, "do cities create more traffic". and yeah, if you compare a modern city in america to a rural area the city will clearly have more cars on the roads. there are just more people around, and typically our cities are poorly planed and lack sufficient infrastructure to properly support their populations. for example driving sucks rear end in NYC compared to some farm town in the middle of nowhere. walking + trains is a solution for that, but the question specifically asks about traffic and that implies driving to most americans.

the environment question is pretty devastating though. smh

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

leftist heap posted:

Just the absolute dumbest people in the world. There is no competition

mystes
May 31, 2006

Americans just think that suburbs are the natural state of the planet and if you take away lawns to make a city it must be bad for the environment.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol nobody knows poo poo about gently caress

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

mystes posted:

Americans just think that suburbs are the natural state of the planet and if you take away lawns to make a city it must be bad for the environment.

its this as an automatic thought on the level of "what weights more a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?" and then never examined at all

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Lots of small-ish rural towns somehow still have hosed up traffic anyway lol. One intersection in town getting clogged the gently caress up at 5pm.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

wow guys I made a poll for hogs on the hog farm and they all agreed that wallowing in their own poo poo is luxurious and smells loving wonderful

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

what do you mean my lawn is bad for the environment? my lawn IS the environment

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

imagine opposing this and thinking you're the one who cares about the environment. checkmate liberals

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

impervious cover bad. the way to combat impervious cover is through sfh lawns. all that beautiful grass slurps up the wAter and turns green and gives lawn mowers a job. you’re welcome

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Just the absolute dumbest people in the world. There is no competition

:britain:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

it's terminal car brain. And this:

Clark Nova posted:

what do you mean my lawn is bad for the environment? my lawn IS the environment

Yards, lawns, and trees seem more nature-y than the concrete jungle, even if this falls apart w the slightest bit of critical thought

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I still think if more Americans had experienced well designed cities they'd feel differently. If your only experience w a city is like St Louis or Miami, where you have to sit in traffic to get around, no wonder you'll hate it and think it's a hellscape.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That sounds plausible on paper but theyve almost all experience lovely suburbs and still love them sooo...

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

one of the better things rochdale has received international attention for

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mystes posted:

Insular Disney-like enclaves with decades of decadence has calcified their yogurt brain

Please tell me how much water you use for your cashew tree on your front lawn in Phoenix

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

mystes posted:

nothing makes americans angier than being told they're wrong about something. when presented with any criticism, even mild indirect criticism, americans will just dig in to their current position. any talk about public transit or cities makes suburban people think they're being criticized which CANNOT STAND

this is also why blockheads will kneejerk-react to any discussion of vegetarianism/veganism with "i'm eating a hundred hamburgers" and why people roll coal

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 17:13 on Apr 14, 2022

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I continue to binge the dashcam channel I linked earlier. It’s amazing to see the greed and anger, people who come to dead stops because they almost missed an exit or to get revenge, etc.

But the engineering! Thank god for learning the term Stroad because they show up all the time. I watched one yesterday where a person was attempting to turn left again 3 lanes of traffic. What the gently caress!?

I hate cars, I hate their drivers, and I hate the infrastructure that we”ve created for them!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Boywhiz88 posted:

I continue to binge the dashcam channel I linked earlier. It’s amazing to see the greed and anger, people who come to dead stops because they almost missed an exit or to get revenge, etc.

But the engineering! Thank god for learning the term Stroad because they show up all the time. I watched one yesterday where a person was attempting to turn left again 3 lanes of traffic. What the gently caress!?

I hate cars, I hate their drivers, and I hate the infrastructure that we”ve created for them!

fav thing about these videos is how in almost every accident the victim steers into/accelerates into the crash instead of just braking... likely because they were "in the right"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeah I've been watching some of it since you linked it and It's crazy

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

fav thing about these videos is how in almost every accident the victim steers into/accelerates into the crash instead of just braking... likely because they were "in the right"
The number of videos where the victim could probably have prevented the accident even if it's not technically their fault is crazy. Like if a car is driving erratically, why would you not just loving back off?! But yeah I guess it's like "no I'm driving correctly so I'm entitled to tailgate them :smug: (smash)"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mystes posted:

The number of videos where the victim could probably have prevented the accident even if it's not technically their fault is crazy. Like if a car is driving erratically, why would you not just loving back off?! But yeah I guess it's like "no I'm driving correctly so I'm entitled to tailgate them :smug: (smash)"

still thinking about that girl who was frantically trying to pass a semi-truck on a desert highway and filmed herself having an emotional breakdown because she couldn't get by

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

a really nice 70 year old guy I worked with was the worst driver i've ever known. the boss was usually paying for our lunch so we went out to eat most days. whenever old man's turn was up to drive we'd be white knuckling the oh poo poo handles the entire way to get bbq. he was insane behind the wheel... like just turning around to chat with us going 80 mph down a busy highway. i eventually put my foot down and we banned him from driving us but man, watching him navigate traffic was a great insight into terrible driving.

he told me that while he lived in miami he had an attorney on retainer that could, through im sure entirely legal means, get judges to throw out his hundreds of traffic violations and tickets. he was crashing into people and things basically weekly and apparently you could just pay money and the problem goes away. he said that changed at some point so i guess thats good

i learned that tailgating and constantly changing lanes to pass everyone isn't about actually getting places faster. he just hated having someone in front of him. i think about that a lot

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Imgur's being weird so imagine I posted a gif of Principal Skinner trying to merge into a stroad when he becomes the bus driver for an episode.

The lesson is, you have to drive like Otto in the US if you want to get anywhere.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bobstar posted:

you have to drive like Otto in the US if you want to get anywhere.

Nah

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I was looking at some of the incredible road infrastructure in the city while walking to a cafe yesterday and thought "how fantastic would this be if there were no cars and everyone was riding bicycles of various sorts on these huge roads". Like the infrastructure we currently have, if cars basically didn't exist, would make cycling around so insanely easy, fast and enjoyable.

I get why people are on average very hesitant to cycle around the city, riding 5 or 10 km to work or to the shops or something in heavy traffic on the road is at best a slog and at worst dangerous and stressful, and you always get where you're going in a sweaty mess in an attempt to not be killed. But if the cars just weren't there and you could ride all over these huge roads without fear you could go at whatever pace you wanted to, wouldn't have to be constantly alert for people trying to kill you etc.

Even with exactly the same number of people on them our current road network would feel nearly empty if everyone was on a bike instead of in a car. And then you could get rid of that excess capacity by shrinking down all the roads and bring everything closer together, and then you wouldn't need to ride so far between places, and then you could walk most places. Wouldn't that be nice.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

I was looking at some of the incredible road infrastructure in the city while walking to a cafe yesterday and thought "how fantastic would this be if there were no cars and everyone was riding bicycles of various sorts on these huge roads". Like the infrastructure we currently have, if cars basically didn't exist, would make cycling around so insanely easy, fast and enjoyable.

I get why people are on average very hesitant to cycle around the city, riding 5 or 10 km to work or to the shops or something in heavy traffic on the road is at best a slog and at worst dangerous and stressful, and you always get where you're going in a sweaty mess in an attempt to not be killed. But if the cars just weren't there and you could ride all over these huge roads without fear you could go at whatever pace you wanted to, wouldn't have to be constantly alert for people trying to kill you etc.

Even with exactly the same number of people on them our current road network would feel nearly empty if everyone was on a bike instead of in a car. And then you could get rid of that excess capacity by shrinking down all the roads and bring everything closer together, and then you wouldn't need to ride so far between places, and then you could walk most places. Wouldn't that be nice.

Dude imagine if the bicycle had existed when they were building out all of these cities and roads and stroads. That would have been amazing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

IAMKOREA posted:

Dude imagine if the bicycle had existed when they were building out all of these cities and roads and stroads. That would have been amazing.
Hilarious but actually imagine if people knew what 2022 would like like when they decided that personal cars were the future.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mystes posted:

Hilarious but actually imagine if people knew what 2022 would like like when they decided that personal cars were the future.

those fuckers would still do it. hell, they’d do it twice as much to show us woke futuristas.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/donateyourpaint/status/1514703146794299392

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-04-14/chp-shoots-suspect-investigation-slams-405-freeway-near-skirball-center

Got caught up in this. 90 minutes stuck just to turn around and sit at home until the road reopened. Almost poo poo my pants when the morning coffee caught up with me too.

Glad there was no alternative to driving :allears: so much freedom