Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Where does this come from, I need to buy one for a friend immediately.

ETA: hmm did some stalking and may need to contact the authors directly

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Today was I believe the third time I've asked my lawyer about something and she's said "That's a good question" and then not expounded whatsoever.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Have you considered that it was in fact not a good question

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

Today was I believe the third time I've asked my lawyer about something and she's said "That's a good question" and then not expounded whatsoever.

it’s hard to tell a client that their question was idiotic and that’s why they’re paying the lawyer to think and not the other way around

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

So you're saying the lawyer that I'm paying is just lying to me?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

my lawyer told me that I should defraud the Russian government with fake nuclear materials so I think it's important to understand that they don't always speak purely literally

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I mean the question is basically "how does it work when the guy I'm suing declares bankruptcy while having 5m in assets and only 500k in liabilities" even if its an idiotic question it seems like I should be able to get some sort of answer but I guess I'm too stupid and this is stuff that everyone knows.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

time to go pro se, bitch

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tunicate posted:

I should defraud the Russian government with fake nuclear materials

If you have the means I don't really see why you wouldn't

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Most questions are intensely fact specific and involve often complex interwoven law at a local, state, and federal level. Your question was probably a good question that the lawyer couldn't give you advice on right away because he or she didn't want to guess at an answer. Even subject matter experts don't have a complete command of minutiae at their fingertips. Coming to a correct answer may require thinking and research and putting the puzzle pieces together, which takes time (and your money).

Just your question had me thinking about corporate layers and piercing the veil and my state's rules about that vs the federal bankruptcy rules about that, not to mention which assets are cohabited dwellings or bitcoins or any other of eight billion complicating factors.

So, it was probably a good question.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

See? Good question.

And even if it was stupid, stupid clients need the most attention.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean the question is basically "how does it work when the guy I'm suing declares bankruptcy while having 5m in assets and only 500k in liabilities" even if its an idiotic question it seems like I should be able to get some sort of answer but I guess I'm too stupid and this is stuff that everyone knows.

This is a question that will require local & state knowledge of bankruptcy law that your average PI attorney is not just going to know offhand unless they worked at a bankruptcy firm before. They've probably gotta find out the answer themselves and want to give you the correct answer.

Your lawyer is absolutely working to get you the biggest possible amount because that also nets them the biggest amount. Your interests here are aligned.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Canada, but I imagine the answer is similar everywhere. My wife's best friend is divorcing her husband. My wife's best friend has a lawyer. Abusive husband does not.

How hosed is a pro se idiot against even a legal aid attorney? :allears:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

D34THROW posted:

Canada, but I imagine the answer is similar everywhere. My wife's best friend is divorcing her husband. My wife's best friend has a lawyer. Abusive husband does not.

How hosed is a pro se idiot against even a legal aid attorney? :allears:

IANAL but from what I've seen watching a bunch of poo poo on YouTube this last 2 years. If Pro-se knows what they are entitled to / your area has calculated support instead of argued support, and poo poo's on the up and up, probably not too hosed. If there's fighting over bullshit etc it can cost lots of money / attorney time and the pro-se may be hosed if they don't know motions to file / requests to make etc. If they're mostly going to just be "this is my poo poo this is your poo poo, everyone keeps their debt and we use the calculated supports" it wont be awful. I had a lawyer and mostly it was him going to conferences / discussions instead of me having to take off of work.

If there's fighting over poo poo like who keeps the house, or pro-se is hiding money etc, it may end up bad for the pro-se.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

See? Good question.

And even if it was stupid, stupid clients need the most attention.

would you still want the answer if it were going to cost you $500? Questions that are just curiosity that require actual work to answer should come with actual payment. But really, that's what your lawyer could have said instead of "good question."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A good question is one you've decided to ask.

An expensive question is one you need to ask.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

homullus posted:

would you still want the answer if it were going to cost you $500? Questions that are just curiosity that require actual work to answer should come with actual payment. But really, that's what your lawyer could have said instead of "good question."

lmao this isn't just curiosity its a personal injury case and I kind of need a certain amount of information to make informed decisions about the things she's asking me

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is a question that will require local & state knowledge of bankruptcy law that your average PI attorney is not just going to know offhand unless they worked at a bankruptcy firm before. They've probably gotta find out the answer themselves and want to give you the correct answer.

Thank you, that makes sense.

quote:

Your lawyer is absolutely working to get you the biggest possible amount because that also nets them the biggest amount. Your interests here are aligned.

I know that's true but I also worry that she has bigger fish to fry. IIRC she had some kinda case that she took on around the same time as mine that started as an injury case but then turned into a fatality case.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I know that's true but I also worry that she has bigger fish to fry. IIRC she had some kinda case that she took on around the same time as mine that started as an injury case but then turned into a fatality case.

The best possible payout is a crippling injury leaving a child with lifetime medical needs and an inability to ever work. Fatalities are kinda meh in potential by comparison. Just as an FYI.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Anyone following the MI governor kidnapping trial? I just saw that two guys were acquitted, and jury hung on two others. I don't know anything at all about the case.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

BigHead posted:

Anyone following the MI governor kidnapping trial? I just saw that two guys were acquitted, and jury hung on two others. I don't know anything at all about the case.

So, going back at least to 9/11, the FBI really likes to find some low-IQ stooge, get them in a group that's 90% FBI agents and informants, over a period of months talk them into saying "yeah, I'd like to do a terrorism" in some late-night bull session, charge them with conspiracy, and put out a press release saying how great they did at disrupting the terrorist plot (that they created).

Usually they do it to indigent Muslims. This time they did it to a white guy who got more of a benefit of the doubt from a jury.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

ulmont posted:

The best possible payout is a crippling injury leaving a child with lifetime medical needs and an inability to ever work. Fatalities are kinda meh in potential by comparison. Just as an FYI.

You’re not totally wrong but depending on how long and painful the time between injury and death was, and what kind of work the unfortunate departed did, they can be pretty sweet!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ulmont posted:

I'm not a disabled infant.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I am.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kalman posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh.

i lolled.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

BigHead posted:

Read The Man Who Was Thursday, by G. K. Chesterton, because it was mostly that and the jury was skeptical that those dudes would have had the idea without all the provocateurs.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Organza Quiz posted:

Where does this come from, I need to buy one for a friend immediately.

ETA: hmm did some stalking and may need to contact the authors directly

If you find one for a reasonable price please let us know. Fantastic Christmas present.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

MetaJew posted:

First time poster in this thread, but hopefully I can get some general advice as to whether I should try to locate a local employment/labor lawyer for further consultation or if it is not worth it.

My wife and I live in Texas. She and I both work in the semiconductor industry, although she is a project manager and I'm an engineer. We've both been employed in this industry for 11-12 years at this point.

She had been looking for a change of scenery and potentially better pay and work life balance from her previous employer. My current employer had some open positions for project managers, and I forwarded her resume to the hiring manager on January 25, 2022. To make a long story short, she aced the interviews, and they fast tracked her for an offer.

The offer was substantially higher than what she was making at her current employer-- nearly a 50% bump in base salary and a hiring bonus that would vest over 3 years that exceeded the value of the number of RSUs that would vest this year, in April, from her current employer.

The offer letter was written and provided to her in mid February 2022, and I think she signed it around February 18-21. Her agreed upon start date was March 28 to coincide with starting before their next financial year. For whatever reason starting before April gave the hiring manager and HR the ability to offer her several hundred more RSUs. She put in her two weeks notice with her current employer and resigned on March 8.

On Thursday evening, March 24th, at 6:30 PM, she got a phone call while we were out from HR that said, in short, "Because of some upcoming layoffs, we have to retract the job." Effectively, don't come in on Monday.

Obviously, this was very upsetting for her. They told her that they will pay her 1 month's salary, and facilitate transferring her onto my insurance since they are aware that we are married. However, this really doesn't feel like adequate or substantial compensation for how much they have harmed or misled her. In part, she resigned from a job that she was in no way in jeopardy of losing, and she forfeited a lot of RSU that would be vesting over the coming years. Had she stayed at her current employer through May I believe she would've vested $20-30,000 of RSUs.

So, now she is back on the job hunt. Fortunately, we are financially okay to weather this setback, but I'm pretty furious at my employer. I reached out to some managers and directors of my organization asking if they were aware of any other organizations in the company that might have an opening for her. I received some sympathetic words and offers of putting in referrals for her at other companies in our city, but they said that the layoffs were not affecting our engineering organization, but the project management and operations teams were being impacted.

She has quickly gotten phone interviews with one company, and management at her old company has expressed desire to bring her back-- but the reason she left her old job was partly due to her management chain, being overworked, and the company refusing to hire additional employees or interns to assist her. So returning to that company is not necessarily desirable unless they will agree to support her.

Regarding seeking some legal advice or action:

It sounds like the concept of "promissory estoppel" is recognized in Texas and would be the most applicable to our situation. My concerns are: 1) There could be some risk of retaliation towards me because HR is aware that I am the spouse of the affected party; 2) that there could be some retaliation towards her in the future, such as being blacklisted or branded as "litigious".

I don't believe that my direct managers would necessarily hold any grudge against me, and our Code of Conduct claims that retaliation is not permitted-- but this is a small enough industry in our city that everyone knows each other and it may not be worth risking some threat to both of our careers.

I think that's all of the details of the situation. HR has not followed up with us, as of Monday the 28th regarding transfer of that 1 month payment to her, nor have they contacted me to confirm she will be added to my insurance to avoid some gap in coverage. In the back of my head I have wondered if accepting that money would be interpreted as some kind of contract or agreement not to press for further compensation or legal action-- but my wife has already sent our bank information to them to eventually receive that payment.

First off, talking to a lawyer never hurts.

That said, I don’t think there’s much there unless she had term employment versus at-will. Anyone can be fired for any time for any non-discriminatory or retaliatory reason under an at-will relationship. Without knowing much about Texas law, I imagine that a promissory estoppel or other quasi-contract claim would fail because, in an at-will employment relationship, you have no right to reasonably rely on continued employment.

If they didn’t have her sign a release, it was probably just a “sorry we’re morons” payment. Any real potential exposure and the company would have conditioned the payment on a release.

If I were you, I would probably ask the company to provide a written statement that her job there was rescinded due to circumstances outside of her control, which could likely be helpful in future interviews.

As for retaliation, unless it’s linked to protected activity, you’re not protected from anything. If you say, “you rescinded my wife’s position for no reason and I lost a bunch of money,” all you did was complain. Anti-Retaliation provisions require protected activity, like complaining about discrimination, pay, safety, etc.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Hello thread. Basically I want to take Lufthansa to small claims court for denying me boarding and being outright malicious after the fact. Is it worth it to do that or should I just reach out to my bank? If I do take them to court, what should be my first steps? Any advice would be appreciated and if more information is needed, let me know.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you in Germany ?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gaunab posted:

Hello thread. Basically I want to take Lufthansa to small claims court for denying me boarding and being outright malicious after the fact. Is it worth it to do that or should I just reach out to my bank? If I do take them to court, what should be my first steps? Any advice would be appreciated and if more information is needed, let me know.

given your post history that elaborates that what happened was that you were too late to board and they didn't refund your non-refundable non-changeable tickets i think your first step is to seriously ask why you think you have a case

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
No need to be a dick about it first of all. Second of all that post was made immediately in E/N after they denied me boarding and i got off the line with customer service who told me the tickets, so I wasn't in the best place mentally dickweasel.

That said, they said I was too late to board the flight and when I called the customer service, they told me the tickets were nonrefundable, however, when I looked at the tickets that were emailed to me, there was nothing mentioned or shown about the tickets being nonrefundable. If they were, then I wouldn't have shelled out the extra cash to get them insured. When I notified the booking clerk of this, they suggested going to the Consulate for help and promptly disappeared . I had an hour before the flight and they hadn't even started boarding yet and when I reached out later, I found out my seat had been sold off before I got there.

Is that enough assweasel or do you need to go through more of my post to form an opinion?

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 13, 2022

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
lol dickweasel

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Assweasel rolls off the tongue better.

OP, were you in the US when this happened? Are you based in the US?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I'm based in the US but I've read conflicting things about whether I could take them to court here. They have an office in NY too.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You’re screwed. Read the small print on your ticket.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Thanks.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My favorite kind of legal advice is the one where the person asking questions takes personal offense and lashes out at sober, non-insulting answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I got a little taste of the lawyer experience who's practice intersects with Karen. This was fun. I'm glad it's not my day job.