Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Death By The Blues posted:

So not sure if this was covered but there is another kooky far right party that is running in the Ontario provincial election:

https://www.newblueontario.com/new-blue-print

this poo poo is all the same i hate them so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

woke broke and bespoke baby

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Removing wind turbines, reducing available energy, thereby reducing energy costs?

literally lol

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Is it some piece of common sense in Ontario chudland that windmills are holding back economic growth?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Karach posted:

Is it some piece of common sense in Ontario chudland that windmills are holding back economic growth?

they make noises and I can see them and they infect the children with 5G is about it

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Karach posted:

They make too much wind and cause people to be less productive obviously

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

They don't make wind, they destroy the wind so you can't breathe, all while murdering birds and poisoning children with deadly infrasonics.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

[HEARS A MAN EXTOL BITCOIN AND PROMISE TO BUILD PIPELINES IN ALL DIRECTIONS]

CanPol: it is ordained, this man will lead us three years hence

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Just as all roads lead to Rome ...

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Petanque posted:

the best ideas come from windows 98 screensavers. i hope he promises flying toasters next

flying toasters was actually part of after dark which was originally a mac screensaver package

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

canadian far right populism is so loving stupid lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Another Bill posted:

[HEARS A MAN EXTOL BITCOIN AND PROMISE TO BUILD PIPELINES IN ALL DIRECTIONS]

CanPol: it is ordained, this man will lead us three years hence

speaking as someone about to watch patrick brown win a second majority government, i have never been wrong about a political prediction and im not about to start now

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

They make too much wind and cause people to be less productive obviously

two wind turbines were in my backyard making wind and i saw the wind and the wind looked at me

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

two wind turbines were in my backyard making wind and i saw the wind and the wind looked at me

woah, mitchell

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
a quick visit to ontario proud was, uh, informative.

quote:

No ones even addressed the massive power lines that have been buried thru our front yard causing ridiculous amounts of radiation I'm sure?
Some neighbors have moved do the sleeping disorders these have caused... for what? It made a few jobs for local companies, the actual building company is from Germany....there satellite controlled from Germany

quote:

Wind turbines have various large parts built using heavy metals. Now, because these heavy metals/rare earths are mined and refined outside of Canada, resulting in massively high cancer rates, then that is nothing we have to worry about. But now we Do, apparently. We don't need wind farms anyway, particularly at the known cost to the Ontario consumer.

quote:

Can the wind turbines be compared to those in the Dutch country? I think their model are different - maybe ours are not at optimum quality. They have a large farming industry also - I would check on that.

:thunk:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Everywhere you see wind turbines go up it's windy afterwards. Coincidence?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

HOW

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

just take everything people accuse fossil fuels of doing and say it's wind turbines' fault instead, problem solved, i will take my billion dollar PR paycheque now thank you BP

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

the wind blows cum directly into the water supply, ergo,

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the wind turbine blew pollen into my nose and made me sneeze, now i have megacancer

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

quote:

One word Concrete one of the most toxic man made substances. Look it up and wake up!!!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
jean charest might be promising people gundams, but pierre is going to give us the third impact

why yes i did watch a bunch of robot anime for the first time in the last lockdown so i can make 25 year old references, thank you

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

i agree that one should not ingest concrete

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Dreylad posted:

jean charest might be promising people gundams, but pierre is going to give us the third impact

why yes i did watch a bunch of robot anime for the first time in the last lockdown so i can make 25 year old references, thank you

I didn't and I got owned. always watch anime

apparently the theory about the turbines making the water gay is that pile driving on this very particular site with its very particular geology disturbed the aquifer, causing turbidity.

quote:

Kevin Jakubec, spokesman for Water Wells First and an area farmer, says the concern is that vibrations either from pile driving during the construction phase or, eventually, the everyday operations of the turbines might disturb the fragile Kettle Point black shale bedrock and contaminate the ancient aquifer that serves as the local source of well water. The worry was justified: It is well established that vibrations from pile driving can damage nearby structures.

As for ordinary turbine operations, one recent Canadian study found a relationship between the vibrations and ground material within 100 metres of the structure.

Moreover, Water Wells First contends that the company and ministry didnt take the special characteristics of the local geology into account. Residents realized their worst fears as the project began the construction phase last summer. Nineteen wells began to experience sediment problems, Jakubec says nearly a third of the 64 wells that the group members had tested at their own expense. Bill Clarke, a hydrogeologist for Water Wells First who gathered and analyzed the samples, says follow-up testing showed the affected wells experienced changes in water turbidity, amount of particles, colour, and rate of flow.

While he says some of the changes were marginal, others were alarming. In one instance, the black shale particle count jumped from 47 particles per millilitre to 681,939 with nearly half of the particles being as tiny as those found in cigarette smoke.

Tiny particles are potentially dangerous because they can be too small ever to settle to the bottom of a well, nor can they be controlled using conventional water filtration systems. Heather Gingerich, a medical geologist based in Ingersoll, says the acidic atmosphere in the stomach can break down the binding between a clay-based shale particle and any heavy metals attached, allowing the metals to settle in other areas of the body rather than to pass through our digestive system. What is actually happening out there as best as I can put together, Clarke says, is that there are vibrations that are happening down around the 20-metre level, where the top of the shale is taking place.

The vibrations from pile driving, and later, from the turbines operation create waves like the ripples that fan out in water when people throw rocks into a pond. When the waves from different turbines intersect, they can either cancel each other out, he says or amplify the effect.

If you have a well at that intersection where waves are really reinforcing each other, it means the shale at the base of the well is being shaken as hard as it would be in an earthquake. That kicks up the particles, and youre going to see your water go a [dark] colour.

It would suck if you had good clean well water and some kind of nearby development made it all lovely and cloudy.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Karach posted:

"my property values!"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fried Watermelon posted:

Could you imagine a conservative in the prairies voting for a guy with a french name

Bring back Fraternite so we can ask them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Karach posted:

it's possible that much of Canada is very stupid

c'mon, that's like two places and their entire population is 1 city ward in toronto combined.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Karach posted:

no, they just loving loathe them because they were installed by energy projects funded by the ontario liberals, and they can see them.

that's it. they're visible on the skyline. and unlike the miles of high tension wires and highways, these are the straw that broke the camels back

because the guys writing ontario proud said so on facebook, and then reported on the people concerned about it

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:19 on Oct 29, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the entire town's groundwater is contaminated by mine tailings, must be those loving windmills

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Futanari Damacy posted:

Wind: poison

Coal, oil, gas: the cleanest goddamn thing you've ever seen

those birds aren't covered in oil, they're black tumours from the cancer that windmills gave them

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Another Bill posted:

It must feel amazing to live everyday with the confidence of knowing what's going to happen THREE YEARS in the future

How could that be anything but a terrible curse? Dude knew about covid 19 since 2016 and couldn't do a thing about it.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

while herd immunity is a sham, surely there are population level effects of repeated Covid-19 infection including brain fog and shrinkage etc. the prairies have seen very high levels of infection and are also the base of Big Dumb including pierre and the convoy, in addition to already having a predilection towards stuff like common sense of the good ol days, and hating the east

I dont think its crazy to think its going to only get stupider from here so strap on in

:dehumanize:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:19 on Oct 29, 2022

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Had our contractor open up the walls of this old house we were renovating. I was expecting to find quality Quebec-sourced asbestos. Whole thing was full of wind turbines. Gagging and retching, the contractor got in his truck, drove away, and never returned any of my calls.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/economic-health-column-don-pittis-1.6418102

quote:

"We're the richest anybody's been in the history of the universe," said professor emeritus Jon Cohen with the hyperbole permitted to an 82-year-old economic historian who says he's seen it all. "That doesn't mean we necessarily stay that way, but right now, yeah, it's the best of times."

quote:

"People's perception of the economy does seem to be way out of line with how bad things really are," said Nobel Prize-winning economist and columnist Paul Krugman in a podcast Monday.

'A media failure'

Krugman said he'd seen polls of people in the U.S. convinced the country was losing jobs. Instead, the North American economy is in a time of record-low unemployment.

The U.S. economist called that "a media failure." He also said that U.S. self-identified conservatives were the ones most convinced the economy is in terrible shape, "worse than it was in 1980 when we had eight per cent unemployment and 14 per cent inflation."

Ever-diminishing odds of surviving to old age due to biosphere collapse? Ah, a failure of propaganda.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Karach posted:

Ever-diminishing odds of surviving to old age due to biosphere collapse? Ah, a failure of propaganda.

Leaving aside the dumb economist optimism, this talking point is also probably just wrong. I can't find the article now but I read a piece a couple of months ago about how people just lie on polls because even if they know the factual answer to a question like "is unemployment up or down since last year", they interpret it as a partisan question and answer in a partisan way. Public opinion researchers have discovered that if you pay people for correct answers on polls, most people know the correct answer to those kinds of factual questions, but when polled on it they choose to answer incorrectly because it's a signifier of how well they think the politicians in charge are doing.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Karach posted:

They didn't talk to a single person below the age of like 73 for this article did they

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

vyelkin posted:

Leaving aside the dumb economist optimism, this talking point is also probably just wrong. I can't find the article now but I read a piece a couple of months ago about how people just lie on polls because even if they know the factual answer to a question like "is unemployment up or down since last year", they interpret it as a partisan question and answer in a partisan way. Public opinion researchers have discovered that if you pay people for correct answers on polls, most people know the correct answer to those kinds of factual questions, but when polled on it they choose to answer incorrectly because it's a signifier of how well they think the politicians in charge are doing.

well sure, I guess it's possible people have caught on to why pollsters are asking them questions after a century of constant polling, but wouldn't it make our jobs easier if we instead assume everybody is really, really stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Unless you're in the 'donates enough money to get their name on the side of a building' set then no, the economy isn't doing that great for you right now.

OTOH If you're a Richardson or an Irving or an Asper or a Weston then ya, things are pretty good right now.

It's time we start referring to these people by name so when more and more people start snapping they direct their rage appropriately.