Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Not even then. It was scheduled for May this year. I was wondering if they could even finish making them or getting them operational.

That project manager has never had a more motivated team to get it out before time, and never will again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

psydude posted:

Apparently those are a home-grown Ukrainian design that only entered last year.

If true, it would be one hell of a combat debut.

Who else can say their program hit IOC with more of a bang?

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
On time, under budget, underwater.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
russian state media saying the ship sank seriously damaged due to a fire detonating ammunition on the ship, but the crew was completely evacuated

https://twitter.com/tass_agency/status/1514378082660069379

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 14, 2022

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

russian state media saying the ship sank due to a fire in the magazine destroying the ship, but the crew was completely evacuated

Sounds like they're still saying it was "seriously damaged" rather than sunk, as far as I can tell.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

What's worse, losing a ship that (according to what I've seen) just replenished its magazines and re-entered the theater to...a magazine fire, or losing it to enemy action?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

russian state media saying the ship sank due to a fire in the magazine destroying the ship, but the crew was completely evacuated

LMAO no they weren't those dudes are fuuuuuuucked.

:smith:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Sounds like they're still saying it was "seriously damaged" rather than sunk, as far as I can tell.

Yeah that is correct, got ahead of myself cuz I was surprised to see them even acknowledging it.

edited the post to use more precise language

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

russian state media saying the ship sank seriously damaged due to a fire detonating ammunition on the ship, but the crew was completely evacuated

if that's what russian state media are already saying i can only assume they've lost an entire battlegroup

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Bold move to go with "it wasn't enemy action, we're just incompetent."

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xakura posted:

That project manager has never had a more motivated team to get it out before time, and never will again.

That’s true I was just concerned they didn’t have the facilities or production capabilities due to Russian bombing.

Also even if they’re denying it at home as being the source of the damage. I can’t imagine Putin won’t be irate hearing this and do something potentially very dumb. I don’t mean nuclear just like up the war crimes even more or chemicals. I mean the black sea is a weird thing due to Turkish controls (and then closing it), but what would be the equivalent US ship in terms of stature, even if not the same class of ship?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

That’s true I was just concerned they didn’t have the facilities or production capabilities due to Russian bombing.

Also even if they’re denying it at home as being the source of the damage. I can’t imagine Putin won’t be irate hearing this and do something potentially very dumb. I don’t mean nuclear just like up the war crimes even more or chemicals. I mean the black sea is a weird thing due to Turkish controls (and then closing it), but what would be the equivalent US ship in terms of stature, even if not the same class of ship?

It's a flagship, so you really need to be comparing it to a carrier in terms of stature.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Yeah that is correct, got ahead of myself cuz I was surprised to see them even acknowledging it.

edited the post to use more precise language

Don't worry, there's probably a decent chance you'll be right pretty soon anyway. And yeah, surprised to see they acknowledged it (although, apparently only after the Ukrainians claimed they hit it with missiles)--I suppose they figured they wouldn't be able to hide a loss that size.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

ukranian war crimes confirmed.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Several pieces of Ukrainian ammunition, moving at high speed just before they coincidentally exploded in direct contact with the ship's hull.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

psydude posted:

Apparently those are a home-grown Ukrainian design that only entered last year.

If true, it would be one hell of a combat debut.

I'm honestly most interested in how they got targeting data, unless the Russians were stupid enough to be operating within visual range of the coastline because "not like they have anything that could threaten the MIGHTY FLAGSHIP OF THE BLACK SEA FLEET, amirite?" :smugissar:

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm honestly most interested in how they got targeting data, unless the Russians were stupid enough to be operating within visual range of the coastline because "not like they have anything that could threaten the MIGHTY FLAGSHIP OF THE BLACK SEA FLEET, amirite?" :smugissar:

They shot where the 707s (I know they're not actually 707s shut up) weren't.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

the ghost of Van Riper struck hard and fast

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Presumably we have some air, space and undersea assets that can help spot a large surface vessel with powerful radar and radio.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Grain of salt and all, but possible explanation for the Ukrainians bagging the Moskva:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1514398732611211271

I also wouldn't be surprised if the US or another NATO power was feeding the Ukrainians targeting data.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

rolled onto its side? yeah, that's not serious damage, that ship is toast

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Cythereal posted:

I also wouldn't be surprised if the US or another NATO power was feeding the Ukrainians targeting data.

I'd be astounded if they weren't receiving massive intel support from NATO/EU in every conceivable manner.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1514394568405438467?s=20&t=XDlSxHsF6dQ2hSOYRf82tA

I always remembered this from red forces recce that Slava CG those external missiles were like knives that you use to make a sandwich that you'd slobber/Slava over. It was a dumb trick but still remember if 15 years on from A School

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

my kinda ape posted:

I'd be astounded if they weren't receiving massive intel support from NATO/EU in every conceivable manner.

There's been Global Hawks and AWACs (and who knows what else) circling the area nearly every day.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Ships only do this when they're in distress.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I wish I could find this online, but growing up occasionally my dad would take me to his office; he was dockmaster on the Steadfast, a floating drydock stationed at 32nd Street. I remember he had a framed drawing that was one of those 1980s proto-memes that looked like a mimeograph of a photocopy of a tracing, just terrible quality.

Anyway, it said DOCKMASTER VISUAL GUIDE, and it had a ship sitting upright in the water, and underneath it said ACCEPTABLE.

The next one was laying sideways on the water at a 90 degree list, and underneath it said BARELY ACCEPTABLE

The third one was fully upside down, and it said UNACCEPTABLE

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

McNally posted:

They roll over to port at the top of the hour, and to starboard at the bottom of the hour.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Disappointed there wasn't a fourth image with no ship at all that just said "SOMEONE ELSE'S PROBLEM."

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The Moskva lays on its back, its belly baking in the Black Sea sun, firing its big dumb missiles trying to do war crimes, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

McNally posted:

or if they want belly rubs.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Do hipster defense nerds talk about the possible sinking of the Slava

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
https://twitter.com/RajaGili/status/1514390065408929793?s=20&t=3E0tCstT9cRq0F5NYS0i_Q

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:vince:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/ItsBorys/status/1514408549631381507?s=20&t=TP8D8VMhIw-VqAg315ItkQ

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Holy gently caress :stwoon:

I’d like to welcome the Moscow to the submarine fleet!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Good God I would love to be a fly on the wall in the Kremlin right now

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Good luck buying a commemorative stamp. The Ukrposhta.ua site is slammed.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whoops fake stock photo.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

That footage was found to be fake - apparently its a flipped and filtered version of a different ship fire