Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I guess I ordered it at exactly the right time and it shipped yesterday afternoon, but my ECE jointer showed up

I'm way late to the party on this, but have you taken a look at old transitional planes? They've got most of the mechanical bits that make metal planes so much simpler to use, but without the heft. I guess they're not terribly collectable either, since they trend so much cheaper than their metal counterparts.

NomNomNom posted:

I did take out one more link after that photo, but just the inertia of the belt is making it arc up like that.

That belt is 100% going to eventually jump off, as-is. It'll probably gently caress with your dimensions, but the easiest fix I can think of would be to mount the motor on a little sled and rig up some kind of screw-driven come-along. You'd only need a couple inches of travel to apply enough tension.

The housing for the belt and pulleys is a good idea, if for no other reason than keeping it from ripping your shirt right off your torso.

E: Why is it that all of the used 4 1/2 size planes in the entire world are in the UK? There's, like, 5 for sale in the whole US, and they're charging collector money for stuff that looks like it spent some time in a lake.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

This is the for forums poster Harry Potter throwing down at me.

Big Deck

Pretty sure I've posted some of these before, so apologies to the rest of you.

(I also did that French door opening and the eyebrow roof, but eh)

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Your screen porch is missing a roof, a door and screens.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

They ran out of money.

They definitely did not. This was a vanity thing for her, which they flipped and then moved on, and then did it again a few times

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I built this small cupboard to hide the shameful computer and networking stuff. Like a lot of woodworkers I haven't painted many projects. Painting made a bunch of stuff easier, like being able to mix different scraps and using bits that were really knotty and ugly. I could also use nails and fill the holes, and use filler on any other mistakes.

The guy at the paint shop recommended this "water-based enamel" and it was very easy to use. Great coverage, self levelling and quick re-coats. Modern paints really are amazing, though it was quite expensive.

Rex Krueger's series on building a cupboard was a great inspiration, I copied most of the design from that. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR_8ISkKkV7mHA6SsTP9yGUYtDj_0iwA5

My biggest mistake was buying the cheapest crappiest flush hinges. I used one for marking everything out but there was so much variation in each hinge i had to re-drill new holes, move the doors around and do a bunch of awkward test fitting. It wasn't even about the cost, good quality butt hinges were barely any more, I just didn't appreciate there'd be such a big difference.
To even out the BOM, It has the most expensive solid brass knobs. Bought them years ago from a speciality Japanese importer and had been waiting to use them in a project. They are definitely overkill but are really nice.

Unfortunately using it as a server cabinet turned out to be a bit of a failure. Even with thick sound deadening foam the NAS is still too noisy, and one 120mm fan isn't enough to keep everything cool. I'll probably just take everything out and use it as a regular cupboard when we move.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

That’s a bummer that it doesn’t seem to be working out. The cabinet looks nice and the fiddle leaf sure is happy. Could you put a small regular fan inside?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I'd imagine to keep that cool you'd need vents for the hot air from the server (and other gear).

Have you considered treating the whole thing like a giant computer case, and sticking some low-dB 140mm fans on each end? You'd need some kind of vent covers, and it wouldn't look quite as nice, but you might be able to get it cooler and quieter.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What the hell do people make with these little 12" lathes that I see for sale everywhere? Why is such a useless length the most common?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

What the hell do people make with these little 12" lathes that I see for sale everywhere? Why is such a useless length the most common?

My local Woodcraft has a whole aisle of pen turning supplies including blanks in 50 different colors, pen cores, and tools.

I suspect that's a big chunk of what people but then for.

Also turning is just fun for its own sake so a small cheaper lathe kinda makes sense.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Pens. They use them to make pens of wood and epoxy.

E: Also wizard's wands probably.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

You can probably make tool handles with those too. Cheese knives, bottle stoppers, garden tools, etc.

I want a lathe, but something I can at least turn some spindles on. 18-20" "midi" would be fine, but that's a newer category, so less used stock, and there's no cheap-but-decent option like the Harbor Freight lathe. There used to be a Wen midi lathe but it seems like they've discontinued it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Woodworking
https://vorpal-fnord.tumblr.com/post/681384108361990144

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can also use a mini-lathe to make drawer knobs, and decorative elements like finials.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ah knobs and tool handles makes sense.

I'm just getting frustrated as I browse local auctions because I keep seeing listings for these drat little lathes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah they're a useful entry point for learning turning without committing to a big machine and lots of floor space... and then woodworkers move on from them (or abandon them in their garages for decades) because of their limitations.

IMO the better way to get into turning is to take a class. You'll get to start off on a serious lathe and can figure out if it's a thing you want to do without buying anything.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah they're a useful entry point for learning turning without committing to a big machine and lots of floor space... and then woodworkers move on from them (or abandon them in their garages for decades) because of their limitations.

IMO the better way to get into turning is to take a class. You'll get to start off on a serious lathe and can figure out if it's a thing you want to do without buying anything.

Now that I know an actual use for one though, I'll perhaps pick one up at a garage sale if I see one really cheap, to keep around for making chisel handles.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

What and why is this thing? I've seen it on the underside of a few tables in the wild, but never in videos or books.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

gently caress that guy and everything about that. /:corsair:

Serenade posted:

What and why is this thing? I've seen it on the underside of a few tables in the wild, but never in videos or books.

Those used to be for things like face-frame butt joints. You need to hammer one in very precisely and it often would split the end grain. Cabinet shop I worked in had an actual gun that fired them in.
Pocket screw wizardry has mostly put an end to them.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Anyone else feel like youtube woodworking has taken a dive recently? Used to really enjoy catching up on my subscriptions but in the last few months I feel like there is less content, or less content that I am interested in.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you are at all interested in luthiery or detail repair, this guy is wonderful. Just a guy in his shop shooting down at his hands while he does repairs and talks about business, safety, problem solving, finish repairing, design defects, mistake recovery, jig making, and such.

https://www.youtube.com/user/twoodfrd

Very down-to-earth Canadian guy just doing good work and letting you be interested or not. No sponsors, no like and subscribe. Everything you see him use it's what he has in his shop because it's the right tool for the job.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

bobua posted:

Anyone else feel like youtube woodworking has taken a dive recently? Used to really enjoy catching up on my subscriptions but in the last few months I feel like there is less content, or less content that I am interested in.
It's not free but Fine Woodworking Unlimited has a ton of really great video stuff that's gotten me jazzed up.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

bobua posted:

I was watching Steve Ramsey have a discussion of this with Matthias Wandel. They basically came to the conclusion that project videos on youtube are saturated and it doesn't make sense to post a video of yet another bedside table. Tips n' Tricks bullshit videos just perform better and take far less effort to create.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

revtoiletduck posted:

I was watching Steve Ramsey have a discussion of this with Matthias Wandel. They basically came to the conclusion that project videos on youtube are saturated and it doesn't make sense to post a video of yet another bedside table. Tips n' Tricks bullshit videos just perform better and take far less effort to create.

James Wright has been posting more concept/educational/historical videos lately, doing things like the history of X tool, or "what does it look like when we look at stuff through a microscope," presumably for the same reason. He has done a few livestreams where he tours various antique tool stores and swap meets and looks at poo poo and asks questions and they're actually pretty interesting. They're mostly like an hour long, but they're more of the sort of thing to go on Monitor 2 while doing work on Monitor 1.

During a recent livestream he actually had a moment where it came into focus that he has like 2500 videos up and there aren't many projects that he hasn't done already. People were asking him "can you do a video on this?" and he was like "did it... did it already... I can't remember doing it but someone in chat says I did... eew I don't want to do that one..."

Similarly I've seen Tamar note here and there that the requests/suggestions she keeps getting for projects are the same boilerplate crap that a million channels have already, like "can you make one of those tables that looks like it has a river on it?????"

So it's just not saturation in terms of too many people competing for the same views , it's also that for the people who have doing this for years there isn't much left to explore without retreading the stuff they've already done.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Yeah, it's YouTube. If you're trying to make a living these days, project videos just don't do it.

YouTube in general has gotten kinda garbage these days.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

more falafel please posted:

Yeah, it's YouTube. If you're trying to make a living these days, project videos just don't do it.

YouTube in general has gotten kinda garbage these days.

That's why I gravitate to more unstructured shop videos. Don't show me how to do or make a specific thing (with products made by the sponsor), just show me your craftsmanship. Let me look over your shoulder while you're working.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've not cared about the last couple of rex krugers; matt cremona has veered heavily off into his home renovation, paul sellers is also doing home reno videos, so yeah it's been a couple or three months since any of my regular channels has hit me with something I cared about. That said, I'm increasingly questioning whether the world actually needs yet another video about how to use <specific woodworking tool> or how to make <one of the dozen or so typical beginner projects>.

It's still an awesome resource for solving particular problems. My friend and I were using my jig to resaw logs this past weekend and the bandsaw was skewing all over the loving place, making horrible wavey cuts, and I didn't know why. Three youtuber videos about solving that problem later and I know exactly what was wrong and how to fix it. That's... amazing.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I miss Shannon Rogers :( He still does his podcasts, though.

Leperflesh posted:

I've not cared about the last couple of rex krugers; matt cremona has veered heavily off into his home renovation, paul sellers is also doing home reno videos, so yeah it's been a couple or three months since any of my regular channels has hit me with something I cared about. That said, I'm increasingly questioning whether the world actually needs yet another video about how to use <specific woodworking tool> or how to make <one of the dozen or so typical beginner projects>.

It's still an awesome resource for solving particular problems. My friend and I were using my jig to resaw logs this past weekend and the bandsaw was skewing all over the loving place, making horrible wavey cuts, and I didn't know why. Three youtuber videos about solving that problem later and I know exactly what was wrong and how to fix it. That's... amazing.

I think it's like woodworking magazines. It's helpful for newbies as a content pipeline for getting introduced to the hobby. But once you're settled into the hobby, it's a lot of repeat content, so the interest drops off.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I just really need another video of how to make a $100 workbench using $50,000 worth of tools.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

revtoiletduck posted:

I just really need another video of how to make a $100 workbench using $50,000 worth of tools.
As always Grandpa Amu is the king of wood videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWk-zwmpvqg

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This started out as a reproduction that was going to have an antiqued finish, but the designer wanted a more contemporary finish so I cerused it. I finished all the surfaces with hand tools, and I just love the surface that makes-definitely plan to do more of that in future when possible. For a more contemporary finish, I’m really happy with how it turned out and I learned a new trick.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Doesn't help that most of the people making these videos have the personality and presence of an old gym sock that's been dropped behind the washer either. Couple that with being limited to square table saw/beginner friendly/~easy~/sponsored gimmick tools projects don't leave much room to begin with, and woodworking Youtube stops being interesting very quick. If it even was to begin with.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

bobua posted:

I've enjoyed this guy's videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6I0KzAD7uFTL1qzxyunkvA

But mainly to tune out/relax to. He's got a chill/humble demeanour, and the videos are edited to a calm, relaxing pace.

And if your goal is to ever make a gigantic table or counter top with a live edge slab in epoxy, you'd probably learn some things.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

revtoiletduck posted:

Wood Whisperer has you covered https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DEl4QMrBp0

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This started out as a reproduction that was going to have an antiqued finish, but the designer wanted a more contemporary finish so I cerused it. I finished all the surfaces with hand tools, and I just love the surface that makes-definitely plan to do more of that in future when possible. For a more contemporary finish, I’m really happy with how it turned out and I learned a new trick.

Oh I love the look of cerused surfaces, a lot of room for playing with color pairs. This came out great.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

drat nice, friend. Now I gotta read up on what ceruse is.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Ishitani has some new videos in the past year after a hiatus, so woodworking youtube is feeling pretty robust i m o

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I've found that cabin building videos often get me in the woodworkin' mood. Tends to be seasonal though and there aren't that many because it takes a lot of upfront resources to do.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of cabins and the woodworking that happens around/in them, I'm not sure how I missed this but Lost Art Press has a book all about Dick Proenneke and the various things he crafted to make his famous remote cabin more livable https://lostartpress.com/collections/all-books-1/products/the-handcrafted-life-of-dick-proenneke

This poo poo is like catnip to me I love it

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Y'all are into bookmatched stuff, right? I accidentally bookmatched my fence.

I'm a fine woodworker now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fortaleza posted:

Speaking of cabins and the woodworking that happens around/in them, I'm not sure how I missed this but Lost Art Press has a book all about Dick Proenneke and the various things he crafted to make his famous remote cabin more livable https://lostartpress.com/collections/all-books-1/products/the-handcrafted-life-of-dick-proenneke

This poo poo is like catnip to me I love it

I picked up a scotch eyed auger then other day. Hopefully I will have a chance to go into the backwoods this year and build a dining table and chairs for the animals to appreciate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfHLt-UmHHM