Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

dwarf74 posted:

My favorite kind of legal advice is the one where the person asking questions takes personal offense and lashes out at sober, non-insulting answers.

Take that back you shittitting buttweasel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Outrail posted:

Take that back you shittitting dickweasel

dickshitting assweasel*

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

your ticket was a contract

contracts can have clauses that, say, require you to file cases in specific courts convenient for the other party. i would suspect that a company such as an airline that regularly deals with vast numbers of customers has thought to add one. so you should read it. if i were lufthansa, i would have picked berlin. or, maybe, south dakota. who knows, but I would have picked somewhere.

the reality is (a) you are disputing a small enough amount of money that it is not cost-effective to hire a lawyer; (b) lufthansa has every interest in smacking down efforts by individual customers to file in small claims court and will do so, even if it's not cost-effective for them; (c) you have, almost certainly, agreed to a contract (your ticket and/or agreements agreed to while buying it) that will require you to litigate it somewhere that is not helpful to you, likely in ways not helpful to you, that would make it not cost-effective to litigate even if you had a slam-dunk case; and (d) based on your own descriptions of what happened my instinct (and, likely, any judge's instinct) would be you don't have a case.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm sorry for asking the legal questions thread in a question before pursuing legal action. I also apologize getting mad at someone for looking through my post instead of directly asking me questions. You guys really showed me. I'll read contracts from now on so i won't waste your time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is why I left private practice

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Gaunab posted:

I'm sorry for asking the legal questions thread in a question before pursuing legal action. I also apologize getting mad at someone for looking through my post instead of directly asking me questions. You guys really showed me. I'll read contracts from now on so i won't waste your time.

Oh my god shut up.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Gaunab posted:

This isn’t legal advice, more of a personal advice thing. Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, you might be an rear end in a top hat?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

evilweasel posted:

(b) lufthansa has every interest in smacking down efforts by individual customers to file in small claims court and will do so, even if it's not cost-effective for them;

...it's always good experience for baby lawyers, especially since it doesn't usually matter with a de novo (do over) appeal to the main trial court of the state.

evilweasel posted:

your ticket was a contract

Likely related to these terms: https://www.lufthansa.com/ae/en/business-terms-and-conditions-1#6

ulmont fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 13, 2022

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Gaunab posted:

Lol finally someone takes our not-legal-advice

I will buck the trend here and advise you to file suit in the international court of justice in The Hague, because this is an international matter of admiralty law.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Send me a pm I will take your case.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Gaunab posted:

I think you got the Legal Questions thread confused with the Legal Answers thread.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol finally someone takes our not-legal-advice

I will buck the trend here and advise you to file suit in the international court of justice in The Hague, because this is an international matter of admiralty law.

He never got on the plane, much less into the air over an ocean, how is this Admiralty Law?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m still trying to find out if they are in Germany !!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I was hoping this was some kind of failed Caro attempt so learning they just missed their flight was a bit of letdown.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

toplitzin posted:

He never got on the plane, much less into the air over an ocean, how is this Admiralty Law?

When he agreed to the contract of carriage he agreed to the application of admiralty law to the dispute, get on my level noob

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If Lufthansa wrongfully and tortuously (tortiously!!!) leaves early and I miss the flight and therefore miss being home to answer a call from Who Wants to Be millionaire telling me I was going to be a contestant can I sue Lufthansa for the money I would have won on Who wants to be a Millionaire ?? How much would the damages be ? The full amount I could have won or the average amount contestants have won over the past 5 years?

euphronius fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 13, 2022

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Tortuously, torturously, or tortiously?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Autocorrect had no hope on that word

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have some sympathy to the dude who, on their very first international travel experience, had their ticket sold out from under them an hour before departure. That sucks rear end, even if it was within what Lufthansa says is their right to do within that contract. Dude, I'm sorry that happened to you.

In my experience, some airlines differ in how much they're willing to accommodate and flex for passengers, above and beyond their contractual duties. It likely also varies from one country to another, and a lot is up to the discretion of the agent at the desk that you talk to as well.

In the end, though, the airline has a highly paid legal department and you are completely 100% hosed irrespective of your actual legal rights or whether you really ought to prevail under the governing laws, whatever those might be. We do not actually live in a world where the little guy can get his due when the big guy steals a thousand dollars from him. My best non-lawyer advice is that you should leave them a scathing review on some online site, swallow your financial loss, and show up to an international flight at least two hours before departure from now on.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What small claims court would you even choose ?

It would have to be the one covering the airport right ??

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Also don't be surprised when a bunch of lawyers go and look at your post history which is the online equivalent of discovery.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I’ve already archived it all to send in response to the subpoena

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

OPAONI posted:

Also don't be surprised when a bunch of lawyers go and look at your post history which is the online equivalent of discovery.

God damnit, you're absolutely right lol

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I’ve already archived it all to send in response to the subpoena

gently caress off, Colon Stoat

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Gaunab posted:

No need to be a dick about it first of all. Second of all that post was made immediately in E/N after they denied me boarding and i got off the line with customer service who told me the tickets, so I wasn't in the best place mentally dickweasel.

That said, they said I was too late to board the flight and when I called the customer service, they told me the tickets were nonrefundable, however, when I looked at the tickets that were emailed to me, there was nothing mentioned or shown about the tickets being nonrefundable. If they were, then I wouldn't have shelled out the extra cash to get them insured. When I notified the booking clerk of this, they suggested going to the Consulate for help and promptly disappeared . I had an hour before the flight and they hadn't even started boarding yet and when I reached out later, I found out my seat had been sold off before I got there.

Is that enough assweasel or do you need to go through more of my post to form an opinion?

I'm going to regret replying to this in good faith, but: Did you miss a connection on a flight on the same ticket or were you just late to the airport (this includes booking two tickets)?
If the former, you have a case and EU laws actually have a ton of protections that won't need a small claim case.
If its the latter, you're hosed. US airlines tend to have an unwritten flat tire rule, where if you're 2 hours or so late, they will often put you on the next flight, however this isn't required. Non-US airlines don't do this.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I really wish I had a question either that time someone came in here and called everybody "bitchass" or now, I'd have gone with taintmarten or goochmarmot.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Create joinder with yourself, diarrhea mole

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

OPAONI posted:

It's especially amusing that the post history dig revealed pertinent info that had been withheld. It's not even like tittyweasel said "since your posts on wrestlehut show you're an rear end in a top hat to gas station attendants..."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Crossposting the relevant posts from the DDoS thread. Apparently some dickhead is suing the site for some reason.

mallratcal posted:

Maybe it was the guy who filed a civil rights lawsuit against the site last week

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/illinois/ilndce/1:2022cv01808/414027

potee posted:

lmao this guy loving rocks, he's also suing the US and Illinois governments, Google, and "Several Postal Workers at the Post Office located at 300 N. Vine Street, New Lenox, IL:"

https://www.law360.com/cases/622624cb9bcf3e02454ea6a5

picture what this guy looks like, and you're exactly right:

https://www.shawlocal.com/the-herald-news/news/crime-and-courts/2022/02/23/man-arrested-following-outburst-at-new-lenox-post-office-cops/

The Fattest PI posted:

lol this dude is a cum sommelier

mallratcal posted:

God I wish. It hasn't been made public yet but his civil rights lawsuit against google was floating around on Twitter, that's how I found out about the SA suit.

https://archive.org/details/gov.uscourts.ilnd.414033

You can read that lawsuit, he's suing google because he forgot the password to 3 of his accounts. Also because Xvideos is the top hit on his start page, even though he doesn't go there that often. Yes that is in his google suit.

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/63223232/1/crawford-v-google/ link for the google suit

The guy must have some issues, but aside from 'I want Jeff's money for nebulous reasons' what could anyone hope to accomplish by suing SA in tyool 2022?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Well, these are some very serious allegations:

Someone with PACER access has to post the SA complaints.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 14, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

e: removed link to the complaint because jeff said not to post things with the dude's info in another thread.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 14, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at PACER costs and this poo poo is straight up draconian. Charging per page delivered is some print era poo poo, but whatever I guess. This however is completely hosed:

"PACER Search Results – Anytime a search is performed you are charged a fee based on the number of pages generated in the search, even if the search displays “no matches found.” There is no maximum fee for these searches."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm looking at PACER costs and this poo poo is straight up draconian. Charging per page delivered is some print era poo poo, but whatever I guess. This however is completely hosed:

"PACER Search Results – Anytime a search is performed you are charged a fee based on the number of pages generated in the search, even if the search displays “no matches found.” There is no maximum fee for these searches."

I posted a copy of the complaint in the post above yours. The suit has been dismissed as frivolous.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

seems like he's a paranoid schizophrenic

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

I posted a copy of the complaint in the post above yours. The suit has been dismissed as frivolous.

His shtick seems to be posting a list of software UX annoyances or missing features and turning that into a lawsuit somehow...?

So, if you are this court, when do you just label this all vexatious and say, 'no more from you kthx'

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The get filing fees from it .

I don’t know if federal courts care about filing fees

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Federal courts do a sua sponte review of pauper filings to dismiss frivolous poo poo. If you’re a serial
Idiot your poo poo gets tossed almost immediately.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Yep. PACER fees are so abusive that the judiciary lost a lawsuit over them and are currently negotiating a settlement.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

a crazy person posted:

Many different users state that they do not like or want me posting
Default sinnature is
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

This lawsuit brought to you by a tremendous dickhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Hypothetically, what are one's options when dealing with a company to whom one legitimately owes money, but that refuses to accept the payment or respond to communications regarding payment logistics? The hypothetical debt is low 3 digit dollars, which our hypothetical lay person has on hand and wants to hand over and get this bullshit off their plate, but the company (hypothetically) doesn't seem interested.