Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

My son Aethelred is never ready for school on time. Unready, you might say. Also we give him bad council.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I named my kid after a famous scientist. We all have our Fandom.

Re: food thievery, I admit I was an awful food thief in grad school. I'm ashamed of it to this day. Therapy in the intervening years seems to have helped me pin some of the reasons, but the bottom line is I have a trauma-induced stress-based relationship with food.

As anyone can tell you, grad school is a pretty stressful place. One of our postdocs, Dave, has a big thing of candy he kept in his desk. I ate the gently caress out of that candy without asking and without fessing up when he asked around.

It eventually got so bad, and everyone knew it was me, to the point when another lab dressed up as our lab for a Halloween party, the guy playing me held a huge bag of candy.

That hurt bad, but it did at the very least give me the kick in the rear end to apologize and start buying Dave candy as replacement. I still dug into his stash, but it was sanctioned (or at least I hope it was and I wasn't misinterpreting things :( )

Sorry, Dave, for being an rear end in a top hat. :( :(

The point is this story is that food thieves should be treated with understanding lol just kidding, we're all pieces of poo poo, feed us ghost peppers and public shame

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I named my kid after a famous scientist. We all have our Fandom.

And that kid... Was Albert Einstein

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Barudak posted:

Its weirder only in so far as more people chose jennifer than earendil, to me. John, Matthew, Mark, and Luke are fandom names, they're just really popular fandom names. I really don't care what you name your kid as long as its not like "Hitler-2" or "Clamidia".

Please, anyone with Eärs will pick it out as bizarre right off the bat

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Mx. posted:

AITA for yelling at my wife for disposing of the toy my daughter's mother made for her?

acid vat

Your wife should be put into the same garbage truck that the toy went into.

Edit: just to add that is something she can never get back.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 14, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hughlander posted:

AITA for refusing to help my parents even if they end up homeless with serious medical conditions?

quote:

my dad said that they didn't know where they went wrong with me.

I think I have a pretty good idea.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
There is a bit of difference between naming your kid Kain or Raziel and Grand Admiral Thrawn or Kardashian.

AITA for not offering my friend to replace the chinaware that my son broke?

quote:

Yesterday, my friend Sue was watching my kids for the afternoon (son 7 and daughter 12). When I went to pick them up, my son looked distressed and had been crying. Sue said everything was alright, that he bumped his head a little and he'll be fine. When I got home, I asked the kids what happened. Turns out when son was napping, Sue and daughter had a tea party and sometime later, son somehow snuck under the table without them noticing and tried to tickle them. That startled them, which in turn startled son who stood up and knocked the table over. And with it, all the chinaware came crashing down and almost all shattered.

My husband thinks we should offer to replace them because it's clearly my son's fault. From my daughter's description, I know exactly which set they used and it'll be at least $1000 to replace. We're on a really tight budget right now, so it would blow most of our savings. I know if we offer, Sue would accept out of courtesy. And I feel like Sue didn't tell me what happened because she doesn't want me to feel pressured to replace them. Now that I know, I feel like an AH for not offering to replace them, but we really can't afford it right now. She even called this morning to ask about my son and didn't mention it.

Reddit, please tell me what to do, if I'm really an AH, I'll will go and offer to replace them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cowslips Warren posted:

Don't worry about it, Sue will sue the 7 year old and the insurance company will take care of it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

There is a bit of difference between naming your kid Kain or Raziel and Grand Admiral Thrawn or Kardashian.

Feel like anyone dumb enough to serve tea using $1000 worth of china on a table so delicate it can be flipped over by someone standing up too quickly should pay the stupid tax and replace it themselves.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

lol why did you bring out the $1k china for a tea party with a 12-year old

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The fact Sue didn't even mention it makes me suspect she doesn't really care. Maybe she has a dozen sets. Maybe it isn't worth a drat grand.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

B-Rock452 posted:

My wife and I used to be friends with a lesbian couple who decided they were going to make their child gay no matter what. Dressed him in dresses all the time, didn't let him cut his hair. We cut ties with them because holy poo poo they were toxic people and last I saw the kid he was a super super spoiled brat so good work guys.

i went to school with a girl who had lesbian parents that attempted this and to basically nobody with a brains surprise it just ended up with her leaving at 18 after spending like 6 or 7 years constantly in trouble for being caught hanging out with boys. to the point where even us dumbass teenagers thought this was more sad than it was funny

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Mx. posted:

lol why did you bring out the $1k china for a tea party with a 12-year old

Because it's fancy and they can act British with their pinky out, which I'm not sure is an actual thing

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i love that a bunch of people's response to the creepy friendfiction story was to do the exact same thing the op did :allears:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

moonmazed posted:

i love that a bunch of people's response to the creepy friendfiction story was to do the exact same thing the op did :allears:

that girl was hosed up. i roomed for a while with a dude whos fiance would out of the blue talk about how she wanted us to gently caress, it was very uncomfortable.

she was sexually abusive in a lot of ways though

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I had a friend once who would hit him in the head with a glass birdseed jar and then call the cops on him for being abusive.

How about this both men and woman suck who are on Reddit

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for trying to help a girl at the gym?

quote:

A month ago a girl started regularly coming to the gym that I go to. I’m not a stalker or anything, we just happen to be there during the same hours. I have been working out and going to the gym for years now so I am pretty knowledgeable about workouts, nutrition etc. So I have noticed that this girl doesn’t have a workout plan, she doesn’t have leg day arm day etc. she just exercises several parts of her body every time. She doesn’t count reps, she doesn’t do sets, generally it’s a mess.

So the other day she was at the treadmill and I went for a chat, we chatted for a while and I politely advised her to have a work out plan and to exercise specific body parts each time. She told me she cannot come to the gym every day but only three times a week and that she used to be a dancer so it’s unnatural for her to exercise only one part of her body. We went back-and-forth, politely of course, and I insisted that she has a designated leg day, arm day etc. so that she can focus on these body regions and muscle groups. She insisted that that’s not how she likes her work out, she like to do cardio, legs, arms and abs every single time. I told her that if she wanted to see muscle definition and growth, it would be wiser for her to focus on muscle groups and mind her nutrition. That’s when she got angry, she practically yelled at me to leave her alone and that I have no idea what her goals are. I didn’t insist, I just left her alone but my workout buddies agreed with me that she was out of line. The whole conversation lasted around 10 minutes and honestly I just wanted to help.

So AITA for wanting to help this girl at the gym? Honestly her body looks fine and her form is correct, it’s just that her schedule is a mess.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Evil Willow posted:

She doesn’t count reps, she doesn’t do sets,

bro, just because YOU have to use your fingers to count...

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Evil Willow posted:

The world would be an infinitely better place if everyone learned to mind their own god drat business.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Evil Willow posted:

The whole conversation lasted around 10 minutes 

Can't stop laughing at this gym bro lecturing a girl through a good chunk of her cardio.

Maybe every woman he talks to runs away from him so he learned to wait until they are on a treadmill before opening his mouth.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Baronjutter posted:

How did her parents force her to give a key to her own house which she owns to a friend she hates??

Just going to point out again that you can buy old keys at second hand and charity stores.

No need to ever give dickheads a way to enter your home.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Evil Willow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffOMSlc2ay8

garbage man visits the gym

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Evil Willow posted:

If you are watching someone else at the gym work out so much you know their lifting routine, or lack thereof, you are watching them too goddamn much.

I would say I don't know what he thought was going to happen but I'm sure he thought she'd bow to his obvious knowledge and go "holy poo poo you're right people have workout routines!" And possibly sleep with him.

I think the only time someone at the gym needs unasked for advice from some other gym rando is if they're in definite, imminent danger of hurting themselves.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

mediaphage posted:

that girl was hosed up. i roomed for a while with a dude whos fiance would out of the blue talk about how she wanted us to gently caress, it was very uncomfortable.

she was sexually abusive in a lot of ways though

I had a roommate in college who tried to ship me and another female friend for… nearly 2 years? As soon as I figured out what she was doing I clearly and directly told her I wasn’t really interested in women, this girl might be cool to get to know as a friend but nothing more than that, also btw I have a huge crush on this male friend if you must play matchmaker.

Over a year in I discovered she was going behind my back and telling every mutual friend we (me and female friend) were actually madly in love with eachother. I had to sit people down one-by-one and explain that my roommate was insane and repeatedly continued this behavior after I’d directly asked her to stop. And that I’d had a long-standing crush on a male friend that I’d confided to said roommate.

This roommate had been diagnosed with borderline by 2 therapists within 2 months of my living with her. Had no idea what bpd was until I learned the hard way!

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Evil Willow posted:

YTA leave people the gently caress alone at the gym.
I had a guy try to be nice and helpful and tell me how to use a machine I was using, but like, with wrong bad advice.
He was super nice and all but just would not stop following me after that to give me "helpful" tips.

It has now been like 4 weeks since I've been back because it made me incredibly uncomfortable and I have powerful anxiety.
Thanks, gym guy!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for throwing up over my husband’s cousin in front of everyone and refusing to apologise?

quote:

I(24F) am pregnant and have been violently throwing up. We finally thought I was a little less miserable and could hold it together so we invited his family over.

His cousin, Maya (23F) is kinda of a weirdo. Don’t get me wrong, each to their own, but I think she is a bit too much. She meditates at all hours of the day, like for example while everyone else is having dinner. We were over for Christmas and everyone was around the table laughing and she was on the floor with scented candles doing yoga and meditating. She is also vegan and keeps forwarding me research papers to prove that my baby will be healthier if I stop eating meat. She even talked to me about a connection between eating meat and violently throwing up. I am just not up for it, and I do feel like she thinks she is somehow superior because she does all of this.

There are many examples of this mildly annoying behaviour. Like stopping in the dead of winter while it is snowing in the middle of the street to meditate touching a tree?? We had to wait 10minutes in this freezing weather.

As it stands I do feel it is only fair to admit she is not my favourite person.

Anyway, they came over and after 20minutes she was on the floor meditating with her scented candles (she brought them in her bag). I felt instantly nauseous as they smell of heavy herbs like a spa would. I asked her to stop or go upstairs but she just didn’t respond. Her mom let me know Maya was focusing and couldn’t speak.

I asked again and said it really is making me sick.

I went to open a window, God honestly thinking I was fine, but as luck would have it- I turned back and somehow the movement was the final nail in the coffin.

Maya had moved since I had last seen her and I ended up throwing up on top of her. She went mental, none of that meditation stuff, screaming that she had meat all over her.. jeez not puke but meat. Like that really mattered.

Her mom helped her clean up while my husband helped me sit down and gave me some water and went to clean the mess (he is the best). When Maya and her mom came back her mom just said ‘lets get on with the apology so we can all move on’. I told her I don’t believe I am at fault and I won’t apologise because I asked twice but was ignored.

Maya and her mom argued that when she meditates she cannot be disturbed. We argued some more and they left, the rest of the family awkwardly leaving shortly after. I asked my husband and he just said ‘idk babe, I get you, I just think when you puke on someone you do say sorry, just to be polite’.

AITA? I think my temper got the best of me

Just to throw this out there, I have a medical condition about the puking and from what I understand I will be miserable until I give birth. Everyone was warned, there are two smokers and a teenager that vapes so we did send out a message warning them about my scent problems..

::Guys I did not puke on her on purpose. Scouts honour. I am violently throwing up, I did it once at the dinner table and once while my mom was showing me pictures of my niece. It sucks, it’s humiliating and debilitating and I did not do it on purpose.

finally somebody takes my advice of "just spew on them"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The number one thing I hear about gym etiquette is that no one at the gym is watching you or cares what you are doing. It's something I've heard many gym bros say multiple times to people who are worried about getting made fun of or stared at trying to work out for the first time. At worst they would come over and stop you if you are doing something that has a high risk of injuring yourself.

The OP is the living embodiment of what potential gym goers fear and what regular gym goers loving hate. The fact he even uses the phrase "I started insisting" to someone doing cardio marks him as a huge piece of poo poo and most likely has been reported to gym staff before for causing problems with women at least once prior to this.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Evil Willow posted:

I wonder about this person’s opinions on the number of days in a week.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Gym guy was right, those reps aren't gonna make you look like this

Which is clearly what she is going for, duh definition! Eat right!

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

pentyne posted:

The number one thing I hear about gym etiquette is that no one at the gym is watching you or cares what you are doing. It's something I've heard many gym bros say multiple times to people who are worried about getting made fun of or stared at trying to work out for the first time. At worst they would come over and stop you if you are doing something that has a high risk of injuring yourself.

The OP is the living embodiment of what potential gym goers fear and what regular gym goers loving hate. The fact he even uses the phrase "I started insisting" to someone doing cardio marks him as a huge piece of poo poo and most likely has been reported to gym staff before for causing problems with women at least once prior to this.

Psh, what you going to Planet Fitness or something? Psh

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Mx. posted:

AITA for throwing up over my husband’s cousin in front of everyone and refusing to apologise?

Yo
Her palms are sweaty, knees weak, pregnant belly heavy
There's vomit on her husband's cousin already, it's not veggies

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Evil Willow posted:

In addition to also being just wrong (even for people trying to get swole full body workouts are a legitimate way to do so if you can't get to the gym on a consistant schedule) this stuck out to me

quote:

it would be wiser for her to focus on muscle groups and mind her nutrition.

Bro how do you know what she eats

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

massive spider posted:

Bro how do you know what she eats

how badly do you want to know the answer to that

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Gym guy be like,

Hey babe, you seem serious about the lifestyle. I can show you the way. Every day. Oh baby, just let me tell you the way, everyday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIgq9spZnhk

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Vim Fuego posted:

Yo
Her palms are sweaty, knees weak, pregnant belly heavy
There's vomit on her husband's cousin already, it's not veggies

lmao

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Should I (28f) leave my fiance (27m) over this or am I overreacting?

quote:

Tl;dr: My fiance and I got into a fight over work, he resorted to some insults and it made me want to break up

I posted in another sub the other day about this and this was basically what happened:

"Long story short, we were having a fight because right now I am the sole provider for us. That wouldn't be a problem if he was putting in effort to find employment, but he isn't. It is something I tried to approach him about gently multiple times, but it always ends up in a fight and him telling me I'm putting too much pressure on him and don't understand how he feels. Lately, he started talking about wanting children to which I said that I do not want to get pregnant before we are financially stable. It ended in a fight and him saying I never respect his wishes. Granted, I definitely was putting a lot of pressure on him to search for a job, so I definitely was not without fault either. He has otherwise been a supportive partner, did some housework and was there for me when I needed to talk. I know not everything is in the material things, but sometimes it really frustrates me that he isn't applying anywhere, even tho he is otherwise a good person. I know a job and money is not what makes a person, but yesterday I was stressed after work and ended up snapping at him saying that we cannot continue like this and he has to change his behavior. The fight escalated and he started calling me a 'gold-digging loving Jew' and saying 'ofc youre like that, money is the only thing your people care about' and making some awful comments about the holocaust. We are currently not speaking.

While I admit I pressured him and didn't consider his feelings about the situation enough, I don't think it deserved this kind of reaction."

I posted this the day before yesterday. I have since talked to him and said that I do not see a future if things continue like this. He called me childish for giving up on the relationship and kept saying I 'finally showed my true intentions'. He mentioned how much money he spent on getting me a ring and how unappreciative I am. I know I shouldnt be ungrateful by saying what I'm about to say, but I never really wanted an engagement ring because I knew its gonna be used to tell me how materialistic I am.

I really did want this relationship to work out and I feel like I tried really hard. I know relationships involve compromise and I can't always get my way and I tried really hard to compromise, but sometimes it is still hard for me. I do not want to be that person who resorts to emotional blackmail like 'if you dont do this, Ill leave', but I know thats exactly what I did and he has the right to be angry about that. At the same time, in my head, my intentions weren't to change him or who he is, but it came off like that.

However, I can't shake the feeling that the relationship is over and I should walk away. I feel like I'm really being the one throwing away a relationship because it's not supposed to be about material things, but at the same time it bothers me and his insults also got me thinking whether its something he said because he was angry or sonething he actually thinks deep down.

multiple red flag parades and girl's like "but i can fix this"

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
I suspect getting the ring valued will be a nasty shock.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

Should I (28f) leave my fiance (27m) over this or am I overreacting?

multiple red flag parades and girl's like "but i can fix this"

*boyfriend's tirade is nothing but a series of beeps, his mouth blurred out so that viewers can't read his lips*

cut to the gf: "i know relationships involve compromise and i can't always get my way"

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

quote:

I know I shouldnt be ungrateful by saying what I'm about to say, but I never really wanted an engagement ring because I knew its gonna be used to tell me how materialistic I am.

This is such a :smith: encapsulation of a toxic relationship, when you know them well enough that you can can see the trap coming a mile away but still end up walking into it anyway. The dudes got inside her head to the point where she considers enforcing basic boundaries or consequences as being "too much"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for calling out my wife after she helped to finance her friend's home bakery but not my investment venture?

quote:

I work from home as a customer service representative for a bank, not that impressive and I also don't make that much, as such my wife is the one that pays bills in the household(she makes 4x more than me per year) and she also additionally supports me if I am in need of finances. Don't get me wrong I am eternally grateful for that, I try to give back to her in other non financial ways.

Although my current job is "easy money" I find it to be mundane and the job scope is also limited. I have really wanted to started up my own business for a long time. However my plans have diverted as of now and , I have been enquiring into the realm of investments and and trying to take classes to make fruitful investment decisions. The classes I am attending however provides a beginner package which albeit a bit pricey(4500+) comes with extensive guidance and access to their premium app where they themselves meticulously choose trending business ventures and initiatives that I can invest in , so basically they do the hard part of me. The price is also counting is the swift and unhinfered advice of experts.

So anyways I mention this to my wife and she seems reluctant and thinks they are scamming me even though I have shown her their accreditations and reviews. She has also asked me to look at cheaper trading platforms (and yes I am aware they exist) but the thing is with robo advisors the portfolios are often low risk and it takes long to get a return on my investment. For this, the company themselves guides the investors through carefully selected high return investments. Wife said she needed to "think about it" and never really got back even though it has been a month.

However, her friend has started her own home baking business selling confectionery and cakes and what not but then my wife had no problem giving her 3000 bucks as seed money for the business. That is what made me feel excluded and annoyed and when I confronted my wife she told me that she is concerned about me investing so much money and for her the risk is what seems to halt her.

This is where I might be the rear end in a top hat I called her out and said how come she is not worried about her friend's home business failing. She angrily retorted back with "that is out of goodwill and support for her friend" and I asked why she can't give me the same in the name of "goodwill". Then she started laying out the whole list on how she has helped me and that I am overanalyzing this one situation. We are still tense from the ordeal which is why I need impartial judgement, even if it is a singular event is what she did not unfair or at the very least she could have rejected it directly than keep me waiting right?