Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not sure what channel it is on (Yesterday - maybe?) but I have seen it quite recently (like in the last few weeks) and I don't have UKTV Gold.

Ed: Yesterday:

https://yesterday.uktv.co.uk/shows/porridge/

Yeah, Yesterday tends to show them in the evening.

Watch Last of the Summer Wine and Porridge in the morning, afternoon and early evening on Gold (the same 2-3 episodes of each, repeated) and then watch different episodes at night on Yesterday.

[Edit] Actually, that's not quite correct. The early evening Gold episodes are different, because they become the morning and afternoon episodes for the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
We need somewhere where I can watch vintage episodes of countdown with Carol (:heysexy:) and Richard (:heysexy::heysexy:). For all the other crap I can just look at a looping gif of Del Boy falling through the bar, forever

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

All this talk of old sitcoms got me thinking about Open All Hours and how they did that revival Still Open All Hours where Granville (David Jason) had taken over the shop.

I had no idea it had run for six seasons, I just thought it was a one-off 6-episode run.

Was that any good?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
So are you going to get Boris hung, drawn and quartered anytime soon

e: i imagine sitcom chat means no

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 13, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

WhatEvil posted:

All this talk of old sitcoms got me thinking about Open All Hours and how they did that revival Still Open All Hours where Granville (David Jason) had taken over the shop.

I had no idea it had run for six seasons, I just thought it was a one-off 6-episode run.

Was that any good?

Rating Graph says… yes?

(I've not seen it but this site is usually my go-to before starting a new show to see if it's worthwhile and if they stuck the landing on the finale.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

So are you going to get Boris hung, drawn and quartered anytime soon

e: i imagine sitcom chat means no

Binbag or no he seems to attract a lot of attention so he may already be hung, he is regulalry cartooned, and he currently lives at downing street.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ash Crimson posted:

shut the gently caress up

You first

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

TACD posted:

Rating Graph says… yes?

(I've not seen it but this site is usually my go-to before starting a new show to see if it's worthwhile and if they stuck the landing on the finale.)

Oh, that's a fun site. GoT is particularly amusing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Dan Stevens absolutely stays winning

https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1514312511935418384?t=FQRc3Sw8DVQDzDkqjqGSvA&s=19

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

I’m sure the personal opinions of a lesser known actor are really important. Why do we constantly have to have other peoples politics thrown at us…it’s an entertainment show…it’s tedious…

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Didn't really need to explain that joke (although the people in the studio didn't seem to catch on until he did).

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
what the actual gently caress

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1514355251171799040

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Aiming for that coveted Worse Than Actual Rhodes scholarship.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i don't think theres even a dystopian nightmare story where the fictional fascist hellhole nation does this. So points for originality at least.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Thought you were going to link to this tune but alas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OeTOS2VBVw

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Huh have to admit I was skeptical about those post-Brexit deals, but he's pulled it off :thumbsup:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'll have you know that Rwanda has the UK as their third largest export partner after the UAE and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, so in exchange for some quantifiable number of atrocities Britain will get access to vital markets of food and live animals, fats and waxes, and non-edible chemical precursors.

It's a shame that Leicester's first big meth lab incident turned out to be a bunch of nothing that was entirely made up to gently caress some people over, there could have been the start of a profitable export partnership there.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i don't think theres even a dystopian nightmare story where the fictional fascist hellhole nation does this. So points for originality at least.

It's trying to reenact the Australian "pacific solution", which was/is pretty drat fash, not just in name

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The dark humor bit is that they are claiming it's to stop human trafficking, but I can't think of a better gift to human traffickers than making it so that if you go to police you get sent to loving Rwanda.

Well, it is one of way of lowering the number of reports I guess.

E: TBH I'd rather get sent to St. Helen or Shetlands or something, at least then you're less likely to be randomly human-rights-crimed by the local security services.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 14, 2022

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Private Speech posted:

The dark humor bit is that they are claiming it's to stop human trafficking, but I can't think of a better gift to human traffickers than making it so that if you go to police you get sent to loving Rwanda.

Well, it is one of way of lowering the number of reports I guess.

E: TBH I'd rather get sent to St. Helen or Shetlands or something, at least then you're less likely to be randomly human-rights-crimed by the local security services.

The entire idea is you threaten the worst place you can get, so that people figure staying on the European mainland is preferable. Actually sending people to Rwanda will inevitably turn out a huge pounding British headache, if the Australian experience teaches us anything

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, and did you know if you get caught doing a crime you'll go to prison? That's why nobody ever does a crime any more.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

And those crimes include just saying you’re English, these days.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Red Oktober posted:

And those crimes include just saying you’re English, these days.

Certainly true in the case of those hopping across the channel in dinghies.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

presumably upon arriving in rwanda they can all claim asylum on grounds of being human trafficked by the british government to a human rights abusing hotspot?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Am I right in thinking that sending illegal immigrants to be detained abroad is probably more costly than doing so here, and that the real intention is just to please the bloodthirsty British public who vote for whoever is the most evil oval office?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Definitely. This is to appease the "immigrants get given a free four star hotel in Mayfair the moment they arrive" crowd, where the only thing they know about Rwanda is that they all genocide one another and there was that prison where they were doing cannibalism, which is the level of accommodation that these people believe is suitable. It's all vice signaling.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

keep punching joe posted:

Am I right in thinking that sending illegal immigrants to be detained abroad is probably more costly than doing so here, and that the real intention is just to please the bloodthirsty British public who vote for whoever is the most evil oval office?
Not illegal immigrants. Asylum seekers.

Also imo it probably isn't about the cost, it's about exciting new opportunities in grotesque human rights abuses, by outsourcing them to where fewer people are paying attention

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Helps explain their hit piece on Owen Jones 'bullying' Guardian staff on twitter recently too.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Borrovan posted:

Well that's a grim mistake to make even though I already knew the distinction , thanks UK media I guess.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Borrovan posted:

Also imo it probably isn't about the cost, it's about exciting new opportunities in grotesque human rights abuses, by outsourcing them to where fewer people are paying attention

Only applicable for some shades of brown I assume? I hear all the white ones from Ukraine are being housed with sex predators upstanding members of the community.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Borrovan posted:

Far away from annoying journalists or lawyers with an interest in human rights as well as providing a photo op for the army to make gammon types feel a thrill of arousal being the key parts, I imagine

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Rwanda.
4700 miles away by air.
They didn't want to feed your kids.
But are willing to pay to move seekers 1/5th of the world away to be held out of the sight of cameras.
Looking forward to the inquiry results in 2060 about the deaths and torture.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Getting Rwanda to accept refugees from Britain will be very expensive yes - per refugee the costs will certainly be much higher, and that's excluding the cost of finding another country willing to accept them from Rwanda when they're inevitably forced to resettle them again, if bringing them back to britane would be seen as encouraging criminals in the common political discourse. But nobody will argue for this stuff from what happens to the people directly affected, you have to claim that they're unfortunate and unwanted casualties from the super legitimate cause of dissuading people to come in the future

Refugees are capable of being rational, so if crossing the channel means being sent to Rwanda, they won't be going cross the channel any more - for as long as the policy is upheld and consistently applied, which i imagine would be very tricky to do at all, let alone over time

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hmm I wonder who last decided to forcibly relocate undesireables thousands of miles away to Africa, it's on the tip of my tongue. I'm sure it'll come to me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh I know this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR9X6FkkOeY

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Hmm I wonder who last decided to forcibly relocate undesireables thousands of miles away to Africa, it's on the tip of my tongue. I'm sure it'll come to me.

It was actually a lot more recent than that, involving our esteemed Home Secretary's friends involved in her dismissal from her previous ministerial post. The policy lasted all of three months before it was canned
https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/research-subject-groups/centre-criminology/centreborder-criminologies/blog/2018/10/moving-under

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Refugees are capable of being rational, so if crossing the channel means being sent to Rwanda, they won't be going cross the channel any more - for as long as the policy is upheld and consistently applied, which i imagine would be very tricky to do at all, let alone over time

Both the government strategy and my post earlier about it being a gift to human traffickers is careful to imply that trafficking equals modern slavery, which is also how "human trafficking" is understood in countries that are not frothing insane about asylum seekers.

But if I was an asylum seeker turned modern slavery victim I would think twice about coming forward, knowing there's a chance I'll be sent to Rwanda sooner or later depending on how the case goes.

e: They are just completely taking the piss:

Sky posted:

'A really humane step forward': Minister defends plan to send some asylum seekers to Rwanda

Sky posted:

Asked whether children would be sent to Rwanda, Mr Hart told Sky News' Kay Burley: "The principle is no. This is about male economic migrants in the main.

Mr Hart said the policy would be a "really humane step forward" even though he acknowledged that there had been claims of human rights abuses by Rwanda.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 14, 2022

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Keep in mind that these are one-way tickets, there's no expectation that anyone deemed "legitimate" will be brought back to the UK, rather that they'll be encouraged to make a new life in Rwanda.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Lungboy posted:

Keep in mind that these are one-way tickets, there's no expectation that anyone deemed "legitimate" will be brought back to the UK, rather that they'll be encouraged to make a new life in Rwanda.

a) I'm sure Rwanda will welcome them with open arms.

b) They really are taking the piss.

c) How is this different from a sentence of transportation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Oh, good, Danish policies are spreading, just add it to the pile of things nobody wanted.