Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

prime minister adam bandt

For real.

Adam's in a good spot where he isn't beholden to either party's internal politics and on top of that he's a decent man. That yuppie journo wouldn't stop talking and Adam was more than patient to let him ramble on.

I really hope he doesn't stop the crusade for Green Hydrogen, that kind of investment will make Aus very well off and give our generation the best opportunity to have something to invest in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Animal Friend posted:

they were way ahead on the supermarket prices thing too

https://i.imgur.com/zcCMtuA.mp4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

jfc it got worse

leigh sales posted:

and b, wouldnt their direct charitable spending be a more efficient and sort of i guess direct use of their resources than having it siphoned through government and then reallocated

Like Bill Gate's Sterilise The Poor In Africa Because There Are Too Many Black People Foundation.

Or the Jeffrey Epstein Pacific Island Adventure Foundation For Wayward Children.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Like Bill Gate's Sterilise The Poor In Africa Because There Are Too Many Black People Foundation.

Or the Jeffrey Epstein Pacific Island Adventure Foundation For Wayward Children.

everybody go and look up how many adult men the Gates Foundation circumcised in Africa

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
No, ew. You look it up.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Animal Friend posted:

everybody go and look up how many adult men the Gates Foundation circumcised in Africa

What... why?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm too busy looking up how it can prevent HIV (it's a lot of circumcisions)

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This sounds a lot like the Planned Parenthood Hates Black People argument, but all my googling leads to dumb vaccine conspiracy theories, could you elaborate or share a link?

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 14, 2022

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Saw a big billboard this morning about Palmers proposal to force Home Loan rates to not go above 3% for 5 years, and am I missing something obvious (yes I know Palmers mad, but most of his policies at least seem to have had some sort of vague sanity check) but if interest rates went up higher than that and banks were prevented from giving mortgages above 3% wouldn't it do bad things to the economy?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

My generous interpretation of that was that presumably the Fed government would subsidize the banks. No I'm not sure how this would work in practice and I assume neither are they.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

My generous interpretation of that was that presumably the Fed government would subsidize the banks. No I'm not sure how this would work in practice and I assume neither are they.

Looking at the quotes about it on their site he talks about using the governments constitutional power to limit the bank home loan rate, so it sounds like literally just a cap.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Wish they'd put a cap on my posting

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

smegma attracts mosquitoes

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Wish they'd put a cap on my posting

Just sue Jeffery.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
North Sydney Poll
Victor Kline (TNL) 14.5
Kylea Tink (Ind) 15.8
Catherine Renshaw (ALP) 19.6
Trent Zimmerman (LIB) 30.2

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
seat polling is unreliable to begin with and I would trust TNL's own polling even less, 20% primary swing against Zimmerman seems wildly unrealistic

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

attaboy albo, give everyone an answer on refugees everyone will be unhappy with

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I mean, the Reserve Bank don't HAVE to raise interest rates as the sole "economic lever" to reign in inflation.

The methods employed to control inflation are all centred around restricting the supply of currency available. They seem to include:

- making it harder to borrow money by raising interest rates, or

- forcing banks to keep a higher portion of what they loan on hand, causing them to tighten borrowing requirements

- controlling wages growth

- raising taxes

The only reason it's the "sole option" in western economies is that wages have been basically pegged to or lagging behind inflation since the Accords; reducing bank's lending capacity risks tanking the property market as overcooked investors start getting knocked back for their 3rd mortgage; and raising taxes places the burden squarely on those who can most afford it, which Just Isn't on.

So yeah, tanking what little disposable income the working class had is the only option, apparently.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
It pains me that “cum” caught on as the slang term for semen, rather than the objectively superior “jizz”.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Bargearse posted:

It pains me that “cum” caught on as the slang term for semen, rather than the objectively superior “jizz”.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Rustles your jizzies

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bargearse posted:

This is spaff and spooge erasure and I will nut stand for it.

lih
May 15, 2013

Don Dongington posted:

I mean, the Reserve Bank don't HAVE to raise interest rates as the sole "economic lever" to reign in inflation.

The methods employed to control inflation are all centred around restricting the supply of currency available. They seem to include:

- making it harder to borrow money by raising interest rates, or

- forcing banks to keep a higher portion of what they loan on hand, causing them to tighten borrowing requirements

- controlling wages growth

- raising taxes

The only reason it's the "sole option" in western economies is that wages have been basically pegged to or lagging behind inflation since the Accords; reducing bank's lending capacity risks tanking the property market as overcooked investors start getting knocked back for their 3rd mortgage; and raising taxes places the burden squarely on those who can most afford it, which Just Isn't on.

So yeah, tanking what little disposable income the working class had is the only option, apparently.

yeah this is why labor committing to 'no new taxes' is so stupid, especially while committing to keeping the high-income tax cuts. they've just abandoned even thinking about a jobkeeper increase because they have to make tough choices and balance the budget (lol) but are still committing to the tax cuts!

seems very easy for labor to just get owned with a recession after rates rise and be completely unable to deliver on their promise of real wages growth while the conservative media yells about POOR ECONOMIC MANAGEMENT and they mightn't be wrong really

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Bargearse posted:

Didn't want people getting confused with the wild swinging music played in cantinas on tatooine

E, beaten

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gentleman Baller posted:

This sounds a lot like the Planned Parenthood Hates Black People argument, but all my googling leads to dumb vaccine conspiracy theories, could you elaborate or share a link?

I was being wildly hyperbolic to drive home the point that we should never trust billionaires to anything "for the greater good".

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

AFR: "I’m travelling with Scott Morrison and we haven’t met a real voter yet[...]

Interactions with members of the public are risky. Real people have strong opinions, and they often aren’t afraid to share them, especially when cameras are rolling[...]

There is a tour of the location, where photos are taken and camera footage collected,
Mr Morrison asks questions and has a go at whichever equipment available.
Once a day, there is also a press conference where the Prime Minister delivers his message, introduces the local candidate or MP, and then fields questions.
The media, represented by one person per outlet, generally do not know where they are travelling, or for what purpose, until shortly before arrival.
We move to a new hotel every day. Flight times and destinations are also a mystery, but that won’t stop us from guessing where to next."

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/i-m-travelling-with-scott-morrison-and-we-haven-t-met-a-real-voter-yet-20220414-p5adgr

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 14, 2022

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

TheMostFrench posted:

AFR: "I’m travelling with Scott Morrison and we haven’t met a real voter yet[...]

Interactions with members of the public are risky. Real people have strong opinions, and they often aren’t afraid to share them, especially when cameras are rolling[...]

There is a tour of the location, where photos are taken and camera footage collected,
Once a day, there is also a press conference where the Prime Minister delivers his message, introduces the local candidate or MP, and then fields questions.
The media, represented by one person per outlet, generally do not know where they are travelling, or for what purpose, until shortly before arrival.
We move to a new hotel every day. Flight times and destinations are also a mystery, but that won’t stop us from guessing where to next."

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/i-m-travelling-with-scott-morrison-and-we-haven-t-met-a-real-voter-yet-20220414-p5adgr

lih
May 15, 2013

https://kevinbonham.blogspot.com/2022/04/prospects-for-2022-senate-election.html

here's detailed senate analysis from bonham for anyone curious

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Can’t do any research if you don’t know where you’re going. Might as well just use the black bags and toss them in the boot :master:

Forgive me if this is a dumb one because I can’t see the article on my phone: does the campaign pay for the journalists travel and accomodation? I can’t imagine it’s just a mad scramble of reporters trying to find a vacancy or flight to the next location, so there must be some arrangement…
In my mind they just sort of followed the candidate around, like the candidate was doing the tour and the media were covering it as much or little as they wanted to. I imagined a schedule and they’d know Thursday two weeks from now at 1pm that Morrison and the candidate for Sydney are visiting a local ball pit.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Anidav posted:

North Sydney Poll
Victor Kline (TNL) 14.5
Kylea Tink (Ind) 15.8
Catherine Renshaw (ALP) 19.6
Trent Zimmerman (LIB) 30.2

Can't flim-flam the Zim-zam

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

DRINK ME posted:

Can’t do any research if you don’t know where you’re going. Might as well just use the black bags and toss them in the boot :master:

Forgive me if this is a dumb one because I can’t see the article on my phone: does the campaign pay for the journalists travel and accomodation? I can’t imagine it’s just a mad scramble of reporters trying to find a vacancy or flight to the next location, so there must be some arrangement…
In my mind they just sort of followed the candidate around, like the candidate was doing the tour and the media were covering it as much or little as they wanted to. I imagined a schedule and they’d know Thursday two weeks from now at 1pm that Morrison and the candidate for Sydney are visiting a local ball pit.

Journalists pay for the travel and accommodation but the PMs office organises it. I remember from last election anyone travelling with the PM on VIP jet paid the equivalent business class fare. Pretty sure the press pack fly on a chartered plane, not the VIP jet though, there’s not enough seats.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

attaboy albo, give everyone an answer on refugees everyone will be unhappy with

I took a look at his response and it is even worse than I expected.

quote:

“We’ll turn boats back. Turning boats back means that you don’t need offshore detention,” Albanese told reporters in Cessnock on Thursday.

Less than three hours later, Albanese clarified his statement by saying “of course” Labor still supported offshore detention.

“It was established in 2013 when I was the deputy prime minister. I was asked today about boat turnbacks - our position is clear, we continue to support them,” he said.

He said boat turnbacks were the “preference” to offshore detention.

“At the moment there aren’t people who have gone into offshore detention because the boats have been turned back. It’s been effective.”

It is like a whole brain lobotomy is a requirement to become Labor leader.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

albotomy

lih
May 15, 2013

bandt is pretty clearly the best leader the greens have ever had, right

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

TheMostFrench posted:

Whilst I enjoy hearing about how Morrison has secluded himself from the public, I'm also getting real tired of the media just inserting themselves into the news. Feels like bad journalism.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

what did barnaby do

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

what did barnaby do

https://twitter.com/scottludlam/status/1514500835107295234

lih
May 15, 2013

https://thewest.com.au/politics/fed...ution-c-6457181

quote:

WA senator Ben Small has resigned because he is a dual citizen with New Zealand, meaning a breach of section 44 of the Australian Constitution.

Mr Small, who took former finance minister Mathias Cormann’s Senate position in a casual vacancy in 2021, rendered his resignation with President of the Senate, Slade Brockman, on Friday morning.

Mr Small discovered last week that he was a dual citizen with New Zealand, when the Liberal Party was conducting checks ahead of the Federal election on May 21.

“While the question of my ineligibility to have been appointed to a Senate casual vacancy would need to be confirmed by the Court of Disputed Returns, I believe that my circumstances are sufficiently clear and it is most appropriate that I promptly resign from the Senate myself,” Mr Small told The West Australian.

Mr Small was born in Perth but his father was a New Zealand citizen at the time of his birth.

He discovered last week that there may be an issue when Liberal Party officers said his full declaration was not updated properly in paperwork to go to the Australian Electoral Commission.

It was only this week that the New Zealand High Commission confirmed he was indeed a Kiwi citizen and on Thursday at 12.27pm, Mr Small renounced his citizenship.

Mr Small formally resigned from his Senate position at 11am on Friday.

He can still run as a candidate at the election but if the Liberal Party retain three Senate spots, he will not be able to return until July 1.

Subsection 44(i) of the Constitution states that any person who has allegiance to a foreign power or is a subject or citizen of another country “shall be incapable of being chosen or of sitting as a Senator or a member of the House of Representatives”.

In 2017 a spate of parliamentarians were forced to resign because it emerged they were dual citizens.

lol how did this not get discovered before now

https://twitter.com/SarkySage/status/1514456945767288832

was there worse from the joyce press conference yesterday than this

lih fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Morrison calls ALP campaign offering them an Easter truce on campaigning.

ALP accepts truce.

Morrison invites cameras into the church with Gladys Liu and starts campaigning in the church.

ALP does no campaigning, despite Morrison breaking his own truce.

????