Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

change my name posted:

Even doing work and moving the mouse around on a high-refresh-rate monitor feels nice, I have a 170 Hz Gigabyte M27Q next to a secondary monitor that's only 75 Hz and the difference is night and day. Even scrolling through web pages is more satisfying.

I moved my forums over to my 60hz dell just now.

Oh god how did I live like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FeralWraith posted:

Asking for a bit of a sanity check.

I'd entered the EVGA queue a while ago for a 3070 (https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P5-3767-KL), and it finally popped. Is GPU availability and pricing finally settling down enough that I should hold out and wait for a cheaper one, or is scarcity still a big enough issue that I should just suck it up and get one while I have the chance?

Butterfly Valley posted:

That's only $80 above MSRP. Just go for it imo

It's $190 over the base MSRP, actually. There have been $700 3070s showing up on Newegg (such as the Strix), which will be about the same price when accounting for shipping, and there are $650 EVGA XC3 3070s showing up on amazon every so often. So I think the chances are reasonable that you can save some more money by waiting if you want.

edit: There's an Asus 3070 Ti that shows up on amazon periodically for $700, even. So I wouldn't say a $690 3070 is particularly appealing, but if you really want to build a new system, then go for it. It's not a unique opportunity at that price anymore, but it is still a good card, and that's roughly in line with how prices have been lately. But if you want to watch discord stock notification channels and poo poo, you can probably find a better price somewhere.

edit 2: I posted about this earlier, but AntOnline has a 3070 plus a 650W gold-rated power supply for $720 and has had the 3070 on its own for $659, though that listing is out of stock for now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 14, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.microcenter.com/product/646424/bitspower-titan-x_amd-205ti

For $1500, Micro Center has a barebones system in stock at many locations with a highish-end X570 motherboard, a 3080 Ti, an 850W PSU, and an O11 Dynamic ripoff case that comes with a bunch of water cooling equipment—a CPU waterblock, a pump/reservoir, a radiator, and pre-bent hard tubing. If you want to get into water cooling, then the value of what you're getting here is pretty insane. Water cooling is very expensive, and the GPU is technically way below MSRP as a result. Note that the 3080 Ti will just be a normal air-cooled one.

Now's not the best time to build a complex, custom-loop AM4 system with AM5 on the horizon, but you can probably sell off the other components walk away with a 3080 Ti for well under a thousand bucks. Or you can just keep it—it's still a 3080 Ti, a case, a motherboard, a cooler, and a psu for about as much as the 3080 Ti was going for by itself a couple months ago.

edit: micro center's website was showing 8 in stock at my local store when I made this post but it's listed as out of stock now that they've done their nightly inventory update, so I guess they sold through everything. I'm assuming the situation will be similar across every MC since that was a really good deal. There's a black version that is otherwise identical still in stock for $1700 which is a less attractive deal though still decent.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 14, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: There's an Asus 3070 Ti that shows up on amazon periodically for $700, even.

One fewer 'cause I got that sumbitch coming in the mail soon :clint: And yet I bet it'll drop lower - rumors are starting to circulate that the upcoming 4070 will retain $499 MSRP.

though, good loving luck getting one anywhere near that price due to supply and demand. PS5s got a respectably affordable MSRP too, but you're gonna pay a lot more than that for one even coming up on two years after the launch because supply and demand are undefeated and scalpers are good at their thing too. I mean direct from AIB cards that were supposed to be $499 MSRP founders editions are only down to $700 direct from the manufacturers' sites now, and it is the end of the generation with that on the horizon.

I guess if the bottom really does drop out of coin mining we could see some return to "sanity," but it isn't so much that it's insane as it just really sucks for the end user consumer who wants to use them for games. It makes perfect sense, while sucking. (That said if I'm super wrong and people are running around with $500-600 4070s that smoke the current gen in a few months, obviously I will weep at least on the inside, for sure.)

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 14, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MSI has some cheap Radeon cards right now. The RX 6600 for $325 the RX 6600 XT for $390, and the 6700 XT for $510, all after mail-in rebates.

This technically makes the RX 6600 below MSRP ($330), while the RX 6600 XT is just $10 above its ($380) and the 6700 XT is $30 above its ($480). You can make some arguments about how these MSRPs were too high to begin with or how these don't represent good deals compared to how cards of these performance levels have historically been priced, and you'd be right in both cases, but you have to look at the present situation and compare using current prices.

With that said, the 6600 XT isn't worth it because it offers only a slightly better price-to-performance ratio at 1080p than the $400 3060s we've been seeing lately while having a worse feature set (worse video encoding, no tensor cores/DLSS, worse ray tracing). The 6600 has a better price to performance ratio though, and at this specific moment in time, it's probably a better purchase than a 3060 for $75 - $125 more or the 3050 for the same price. Its rasterization performance at 1080p is just slightly behind the 3060's, and you're probably not doing much RT with this class of GPU anyway. The 6700 XT is a bit murkier. It sits between the 3060 Ti and 3070 in performance and I think I'd prefer any 3060 Ti that goes below $550, but those have been hard to snag. We're getting into the range where you might actually want to use RT features, and the 6700 XT kinda sucks at that. But if you're going purely by rasterization, then this isn't a bad price for a GPU. These deals are also actually readily available, while you have to stalk gpu restock discords in order to jump on the best nvidia card prices.

Of course, these comparisons may all become irrelevant in another few weeks as prices continue to shift. Nvidia's GPUs are actively falling in price still, and I actually wouldn't be surprised if we eventually see AMD cards consistently below MSRP in a month or so, considering AMD's MSRPs have always been shittier than Nvidia's.

edit: Don't get a 6600 if you have a PCIe 3.0 system though. That's an x8 card, so 3.0 bandwidth can lead to some awkward bottlenecks.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 14, 2022

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

It's $190 over the base MSRP, actually. There have been $700 3070s showing up on Newegg (such as the Strix), which will be about the same price when accounting for shipping, and there are $650 EVGA XC3 3070s showing up on amazon every so often. So I think the chances are reasonable that you can save some more money by waiting if you want.

edit: There's an Asus 3070 Ti that shows up on amazon periodically for $700, even. So I wouldn't say a $690 3070 is particularly appealing, but if you really want to build a new system, then go for it. It's not a unique opportunity at that price anymore, but it is still a good card, and that's roughly in line with how prices have been lately. But if you want to watch discord stock notification channels and poo poo, you can probably find a better price somewhere.

edit 2: I posted about this earlier, but AntOnline has a 3070 plus a 650W gold-rated power supply for $720 and has had the 3070 on its own for $659, though that listing is out of stock for now.

Thanks for the information!

I opted to go ahead and grab it earlier. I'll end up with buyer's remorse , but at least I'll have a video card in hand. Spending an extra ~$200 to not have to play inventory roulette is steep, but worth it to me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FeralWraith posted:

Thanks for the information!

I opted to go ahead and grab it earlier. I'll end up with buyer's remorse , but at least I'll have a video card in hand. Spending an extra ~$200 to not have to play inventory roulette is steep, but worth it to me.

That's fair enough. I imagine that it's worth it for a lot of people to pay a little extra if it means not having to F5 newegg all day long or sort through a hundred restock notifications a day in order to find the best deals.

-------------

edit: On another note, the 3060 Ti barebones from Asus are now $700 at Micro Center: https://www.microcenter.com/product/641959/asus-amd-value-barebones-asus-b550-f-rog-strix-gaming-amd-am4-atx-motherboard

The combined price of the motherboard, PSU, and case that this comes with are more than $300, which means that this is technically another below-MSRP GPU bundle, though that case makes me cringe and a 650W bronze-rated PSU is not what I'd choose. But those are still perfectly usable parts, so if you don't mind the look of the case then that's a great deal. Pick up the 5600X for $160, and you have the makings of a cheap and good-performing midrange PC

edit 2: also if you live near a micro center, be sure to check your local store's open box deals:

I would trust MC open boxes

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 14, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I paid $1200 for a 3070ti in December, these prices are depressing :v:

I wonder how the new Intel gpus will affect the market, though...

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Intel is generally better in this regard, especially the 12th gens.

I thought 3D modelling is mostly off-loaded to the GPU? Nevertheless the reason for the upgrade is wanting to edit pictures at a resolution of roughly 80k x 80k pixel, and apart from a better CPU I probably need a bit more RAM for that.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
If I picked up a 5600G now with the intention of pairing it with a mid-range GPU in six months to a year for 1440p gaming, would that make sense?

My current setup is:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case

Since I won't need to run any demanding games for a while I've been thinking about selling the 1660ti + CPU, and popping in a 5600G so I can get by with integrated graphics. On paper it sounds like an ideal way to get the most out of my hardware. I just want to make sure I'm not pushing my luck and creating a bottleneck.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

It's $190 over the base MSRP, actually.

No it isn't, it's $190 over the original FE MSRP but that specific EVGA FTW Ultra 3070 was never sold for less than $610, and you know as well as I do that FE MSRPs haven't been the baseline in any practical sense at any time in the last year and a half. Besides, didn't the base MSRP of the FE editions go up in the US too? In the EU and UK they went up by €50/£50 across the board a few months ago.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

If I picked up a 5600G now with the intention of pairing it with a mid-range GPU in six months to a year for 1440p gaming, would that make sense?

Since I won't need to run any demanding games for a while I've been thinking about selling the 1660ti + CPU, and popping in a 5600G so I can get by with integrated graphics. On paper it sounds like an ideal way to get the most out of my hardware. I just want to make sure I'm not pushing my luck and creating a bottleneck.

edit: slightly misread

Going from a 1660ti to integrated graphics is going to be a huge kick in the gonads. You already have a capable GPU, it would be insanity to sell that off without a replacement in your hands IMO. Unless I'm missing something obvious why would you want to downgrade now? Far better to drop a 5600/5600X in there, which aren't hampered by the IGPU like the 5600G is, and wait to sell off the 1660ti when you actually have another card.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 14, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

No it isn't, it's $190 over the original FE MSRP but that specific EVGA FTW Ultra 3070 was never sold for less than $610, and you know as well as I do that FE MSRPs haven't been the baseline in any practical sense at any time in the last year and a half. Besides, didn't the base MSRP of the FE editions go up in the US too? In the EU and UK they went up by €50/£50 across the board a few months ago.

Going from a 1660ti to integrated graphics is going to be a huge kick in the gonads. You already have a capable GPU, it would be insanity to sell that off without a replacement in your hands IMO. By all means build a system now but don't downgrade to relying entirely on integrated graphics, or if you do then go for an Alder Lake (12600K/12700K) which aren't hampered by the iGPU in the same way that the 5600G is compared to the X.

The Founders Edition models are still sold for their launch prices in the US. And there have been a lot of drops for the 3070 in particular lately.

I guess we should use different language other than "MSRP" to describe this because I think using the highly arbitrary "MSRPs" set by AIBs has the potential to be very misleading. I still think the $500 launch price is a good reference point when discussing the current prices for the 3070, especially since buying one for that price is still possible if you get a best buy drop. We can recognize that a GPU can be a good deal in the current market while still having a lot of room for going down in price.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 14, 2022

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
In a lot of cases yes obviously the prices of AIBs have been artificially inflated lately but the product is fundamentally different in ways that actually make a difference - it's a three fan design, has RGB, a slight overclock I assume - so I think comparing it to the FE 3070 and expecting it to be the same price is as arbitrary as a lot of the AIB prices have been. In the context of the poster asking if it was a good deal or not, it makes much more sense to compare it to the baseline for that specific board, rather than comparing it to the FE edition IMO. Not everyone in the US wants or is able to camp best buy. Obviously this is all moot because they got it, I just don't want them to think they got a bad deal.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 14, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, in a normal market, I would advise that people to never buy a $610 3070 for any reason whatsoever. People aren't buying overpriced GPUs because they want to—they're buying the only models they possibly can. So in that context I do think it's still useful to acknowledge the gap between current prices and the original launch price of the basic models for these GPUs. Obviously I'm not expecting the FTW3 Ultra model to be $500, but it's still worth giving people the full context so they can make a more informed decision.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Well, in a normal market, I would advise that people to never buy a $610 3070 for any reason whatsoever. People aren't buying overpriced GPUs because they want to—they're buying the only models they possibly can.

At least in the ITX world, plenty of people buy AIB cards because they want better 3 fan cooling/don't want the blowthrough design of the FE coolers which don't work in many cases. Ditto people who want the lowest possible temps/quietest builds. There's an additional value there which people are willing to pay for, even if you or I aren't.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Why not just include both MSRPs in any comments/thoughts about value, at least in cases like this?

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I'm thinking about upgrading some time this year. My current CPU is an Intel i7 6700K, and I don't think the chip itself is holding me back, but it's been my CPU since 2015 and in my most recent upgrade I had to really go digging for a compatible motherboard that would take m.2 hard drives. It seems like the real limitation I'm facing is that they're not making gaming motherboards with that socket anymore. Does it make sense to replace the CPU in order to start using contemporary boards?

There's not particular urgency here but I'm getting the itch. I also have a RX 5700 XT that I'm thinking of selling while crypto dorks are still paying more for them than I paid for it new. No big deal to swap out a GPU, but the whole process puts me in mind of taking on a bigger project.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Well, even a 12400 would be a substantial improvement over your processor's capabilities and that is under $200, and if you want to stretch up to a 12600K it gets mondo faster especially as workloads become more threaded (but also a really big and I would wager very noticeable improvement in single-threaded tasks). Up to you, the timing isn't terrible though if you ask me, also a guy upgrading from a 2015 build.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Racing Stripe posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading some time this year. My current CPU is an Intel i7 6700K, and I don't think the chip itself is holding me back, but it's been my CPU since 2015 and in my most recent upgrade I had to really go digging for a compatible motherboard that would take m.2 hard drives. It seems like the real limitation I'm facing is that they're not making gaming motherboards with that socket anymore. Does it make sense to replace the CPU in order to start using contemporary boards?

There's not particular urgency here but I'm getting the itch. I also have a RX 5700 XT that I'm thinking of selling while crypto dorks are still paying more for them than I paid for it new. No big deal to swap out a GPU, but the whole process puts me in mind of taking on a bigger project.
I bought the same CPU in mid-2016 and have a board with a non-NVMe M.2 slot. The CPU was starting to hold me back in Total War Warhammer 3, so I'm upgrading to a 12700K this week and just selling the old box minus the HDD while I can still get something for it. You'll notice a huge jump in performance just being able to get NVMe.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Agreed posted:

Well, even a 12400 would be a substantial improvement over your processor's capabilities and that is under $200, and if you want to stretch up to a 12600K it gets mondo faster especially as workloads become more threaded (but also a really big and I would wager very noticeable improvement in single-threaded tasks). Up to you, the timing isn't terrible though if you ask me, also a guy upgrading from a 2015 build.

Okay, cool. My CPU knowledge is pretty superficial, so when I did the 12400 vs 6700K comparison I didn't really know how to make sense of the results. Some of the numbers for the 6700K were higher, and other numbers for the 12400 were higher, but I don't know how those translate into performance. I'm mostly following the advice of "the monitor and the GPU are the biggest determiners of game performance" and "your CPU is fine" but that's from my last upgrade two years ago.

Shumagorath posted:

I bought the same CPU in mid-2016 and have a board with a non-NVMe M.2 slot. The CPU was starting to hold me back in Total War Warhammer 3, so I'm upgrading to a 12700K this week and just selling the old box minus the HDD while I can still get something for it. You'll notice a huge jump in performance just being able to get NVMe.

I didn't know about the NVME/non-NVME choice, but that probably explains why my machine doesn't boot any faster than it did when I was using SATA SSDs. My M.2 drive is NVME, but my board probably uses SATA protocol through the M.2 slot. Looking forward to tangible benefits from a newer motherboard! Also my current board only has one functioning M.2 slot so I'm still stuck with a SSD backup.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How hard will it be to get a 5800x3d, haha

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

How hard will it be to get a 5800x3d, haha

Probably not very? I imagine most people who wanted to do new builds did so with Alder Lake. 5800X3D only really makes sense as an in socket upgrade for people upgrading from an older Zen gen.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It's probably time I bit the bullet and updated my personal machine. The initial thread posts seem a bit out-dated and I haven't paid too much attention these last few years besides "Crypto idiocy + chip shortage = GPUs are comically expensive." Figure since that's the expensive bit I'd ask if there's any advice on any cards that were good value/poor value right now. Or matching GPU with CPU.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
https://www.evga.com/articles/01557/nvidia-restocked-reloaded/

So not a good feeling when a big restock hits the day after I went ahead with my purchase. It's almost comical.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FeralWraith posted:

So not a good feeling when a big restock hits the day after I went ahead with my purchase. It's almost comical.

I bought all my hardware like ten days before GPU prices started falling. If I'd waited a month I probably would've been able to save $500 or get a better card.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Grand Fromage posted:

I bought all my hardware like ten days before GPU prices started falling. If I'd waited a month I probably would've been able to save $500 or get a better card.

C'mon, you know exactly which choice you'd make :grin:!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DerekSmartymans posted:

C'mon, you know exactly which choice you'd make :grin:!

I do. But perhaps the future proofing potential of the better card would end up saving money too.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

FeralWraith posted:

To be fair, these prices are quite a bit above MSRP and above what Asus is selling for.

EVGA does have great warranty support, and good coolers, plus you can get 50% off two accessories (includes PSUs), so if you’re whole system building it may be with it.

Edit: would anyone like to have a shot at a new thread title, considering hope is restored?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Is...is it over? Can I just buy a 3070 Ti for $729 from Newegg now?
:tinfoil:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Is...is it over? Can I just buy a 3070 Ti for $729 from Newegg now?
:tinfoil:

I managed to get one from EVGA for $719 a few weeks ago. I'm not sure which suffix it has or what any of them mean but I'm happy.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Probably not very? I imagine most people who wanted to do new builds did so with Alder Lake. 5800X3D only really makes sense as an in socket upgrade for people upgrading from an older Zen gen.

Eh it doesn't seem worth spending hundreds of dollars more to get DDR5 and PCI5 when I didn't touch my last system for 5 years (although some of that due to the aforementioned graphics card scarcity). I don't really ever try to futureproof besides buying ample RAM.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FeralWraith posted:

Most of those cards have been in stock for a couple weeks now. :ssh:

Though EVGA has done some price cuts recently which is nice since they were starting to fall behind everyone else's price cuts. This "Restocked and Reloaded" campaign is an nvidia promotional campaign, and it seems a wee bit premature to me unless we're about to get a massive wave of fresh supply from somewhere. Funnily enough, if you click through the links on Nvidia's site, none of them appear to actually lead to cards that are in stock because all of the in-stock ones are different models that are much more expensive.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I do. But perhaps the future proofing potential of the better card would end up saving money too.
Yeah, with my 3080 12GB on the way I'm no longer resigning myself to a new GPU when I upgrade displays the way I would have with a 3070.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I'm looking at it a little differently, in that if I feel the performance and quality of life upgrades for a new card are worth it in the next gen especially when they do a refresh later on I don't mind doing that after spending $699 now, vs. if I had spent $1400+ at the height of the thing on what I am getting now / $1200+ now on the next performance level up, I'd feel like I couldn't justify an upgrade for forever. I think a lot of this is just psychology and what we feel good about in the end.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Right now my current system is a 3600X, GTX 1070, and 64 gigs of memory (for my VMs). With a decent name-brand 550W power supply. I've been looking for a video card upgrade for the last two years, and now that supply is starting to come online it's starting to be realistic. I currently use a 1440p monitor, and will be upgrading to 4K sometime in the next year.

I can afford a top of the line GPU, but I can't really justify it, especially when it needs a new power supply and ATX 3.0 on the horizon. So my thought was to do a midrange upgrade like a 3600Ti which is a nice ~50% FPS gain, and then get in line and splurge for the GTX 4800 when it comes around September by which time ATX 3.0 power supplies should also be on the market. it also lets me sell my GTX 1070 right now while it's still worth ~$200.

1. Does this plan make sense?

2. I have a EVGA FTW3 3600Ti waiting for pickup at Best Buy right now that I spent $510 on pre-tax. But I've waited two years, I can wait another couple of weeks. Do you think we'll see the 3600Ti readily avaliable at ~$400 sometime soon, or am I crazy for considering passing on that card right now?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 15, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah you'd anticipate an uplift around there, plus access to dlss. i wouldn't run a 4k monitor on a 3060ti unless i played old games mostly. i would need a crystal ball - prices still trend downwards but that's a genuinely pretty decent make/model (that would be my anticipated RRP for an evga card with goofy overkill cooling) presumably there has to be a floor? maybe the miners will all liquidate and poo poo will be super cheap secondhand who knows. imo go for it but it's your money.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
edit: Maybe I shouldn't derail the conversation while seeking advice.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 15, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Chuu posted:

With the announcement that ETH is going to start "The Merge" around September…

LMAO sure. This itself was a delay from when they were going to do it next month. It’s always 6 months away.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
edit: derail

Chuu fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 15, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This 3070 has been showing up on Amazon for $630 every so often: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097S5ZY7...9&creative=9325

It usually goes out of stock after being up for 10 - 20 minutes, and then comes back into stock a few hours later. That's basically the same pattern as Asus' $700 3070 Ti. The $630 listing is direct from Amazon, so if you click that and get nothing but third-parties, come back later. Or sign up for a restock tracker. Also it's backordered, but I've found that amazon usually ships backordered things a bit faster than they say they will.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
In the UK at least it looks like 3070 and the 3070ti are now being sold for the same inflated price or with a circa £50 price difference. Is there any reason to avoid the ti other than it being a poor value proposition at both cards normal RRP?