Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Count Uvula posted:

The ease of translation also leads to the hilarious misunderstanding between English speakers putting 'Fort Night' everywhere as a joke and players from other parts of the world scouring everything that seems vaguely like a fort trying to find some super secret thing that people are leaving messages about everywhere.

Yeah, basically all wordplays and similar jokes in the system do have the side effect of filling the worlds of people playing in other languages with many messages of complete gibberish (well, even moreso than usual)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know if it started there, but FF11 had a similar system. FF14 has it too but it's not used as often.

Basically every mechanic, item, enemy type, location, skill etc. in the game is in the translation dictionary but no basic words. In 14 they're pretty much just used for jokes in chat and puns and stuff, but 11 being a more old school game required a lot more public communication.

People used to commonly use the Reward keyword when offering or requesting services in chat. Except Reward was a Beastmaster skill and in other languages translated to be more like Give Snack.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, basically all wordplays and similar jokes in the system do have the side effect of filling the worlds of people playing in other languages with many messages of complete gibberish (well, even moreso than usual)

This is amazing. I thought the preselected lists were just for making it easier on devs to prevent offensive stuff in multiple languages. Had no idea it also doubled as a way to translate the players' messages. Like you don't just get messages from players whose language is your own, you get the whole world's and you don't have any idea what language they were originally written in? lol

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

This is amazing. I thought the preselected lists were just for making it easier on devs to prevent offensive stuff in multiple languages. Had no idea it also doubled as a way to translate the players' messages. Like you don't just get messages from players whose language is your own, you get the whole world's and you don't have any idea what language they were originally written in? lol

Yea. Which is why the Japanese playerbase was confused as hell when they got messages that said "Fort, night" and kept thinking there something about going to a fort at night.

From another article:
"Another message from English to Japanese that doesn’t quite translate is “But hole.” When converted to Japanese, it loses its allusion to—well, you get it. It ends up being a more mysterious message closer to “However hole.”

There are messages from Japanese players that don’t translate so well when converted to English either, such as “Grass.” The Japanese character for grass (草) is used similarly to something like “lol” online, and one player commented, “In Scotland a ‘grass’ is a snitch so I thought it was about a dodgy NPC."

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

CitizenKain posted:

There are messages from Japanese players that don’t translate so well when converted to English either, such as “Grass.” The Japanese character for grass (草) is used similarly to something like “lol” online

lol I thought it's just random stoners posting "weed"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I saw one that was most definitely about weed because it said something like "try fire. time for grass"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

There are messages from Japanese players that don’t translate so well when converted to English either, such as “Grass.” The Japanese character for grass (草) is used similarly to something like “lol” online, and one player commented, “In Scotland a ‘grass’ is a snitch so I thought it was about a dodgy NPC."

Lol I thought those messages were telling me to touch grass

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

haveblue posted:

I would rather read a hundred "time for rump. offer pickle" than the things gamers with an unlimited raw text field would write

Yeah they're mostly not funny but at least they're not slurs everywhere

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Any non humanoid creature being a dog except actual dogs hasn’t failed to make me chuckle yet

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
The grass thing comes from the japanese 'warei' which means laughter or to laugh or something like that.

It's easier to type 'w' than '笑' so that got used instead, and would get extended out like wwwwww for emphasis, similar to lolololol or hahahahaha.

Now wwwwwwww kind of looks like blades of grass, like a lawn, so 'kusa/草' meaning grass would get substituted in.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That explains a lot. Thanks.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mazerunner posted:

The grass thing comes from the japanese 'warei' which means laughter or to laugh or something like that.

It's easier to type 'w' than '笑' so that got used instead, and would get extended out like wwwwww for emphasis, similar to lolololol or hahahahaha.

Now wwwwwwww kind of looks like blades of grass, like a lawn, so 'kusa/草' meaning grass would get substituted in.

"I don't get it, Batman. What does grass have to do with the Joker?"
"Well you see, Robin, the Riddler is extremely online and he's always been a huge weeb..."

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Wwwwwwwww means "i accidentally hit enter" in an mmo

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Amoeba102 posted:

wwwwadadwasawssssaa

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Amoeba102 posted:

big inc at bs need helwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Morpheus posted:

wwwwadadwasawssssaa

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Taeke posted:

Just today I had a genuine belly laugh seing the 'weak foe' messages around the mimic boss which is an exacy copy of your own character.

My favorite one of these said, “Weak foe? Try introspection.”

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mazerunner posted:

The entire Japanese language is nothing more than a series of loosely connected puns.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

haveblue posted:

It makes localization easier and is also much, much harder to say something offensive with. About the worst trolling you can do is write "try jumping" next to a bottomless pit.

That didn't stop me from making ADULT TOYS the talk of that town in Pokémon Ruby. :colbert:

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

My favorite little thing that is relevant to the thread title is that the main character of MGS2, Raiden, was originally pitched as a weirdo who ate bird poo poo and even Hideo Kojima said that was too loving weird for him and turned it down.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Any non humanoid creature being a dog except actual dogs hasn’t failed to make me chuckle yet

My favorite was 'slug... but house?'

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

frodnonnag posted:

My favorite was 'slug... but house?'

The best thing about this is that you can’t tell whether “slug but house” means “slug, except also house” or “house for slug butt” but both of those make perfect sense anyway

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I was hoping it meant there was a giant snail, and I don't want to know if I was wrong.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

My favorite little thing that is relevant to the thread title is that the main character of MGS2, Raiden, was originally pitched as a weirdo who ate bird poo poo and even Hideo Kojima said that was too loving weird for him and turned it down.

Lmao what's the source for this?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Necrothatcher posted:

Bird butts probably?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Kitfox88 posted:

I liked the dragons being cats on how to train your dragon

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Kitfox88 posted:

The horse in Tangled was the only time I've ever enjoyed seeing a horse in anything.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

That's actually an interesting question. I think I heard it in a couple youtube videos, but I couldn't remember specifically which ones, so I went looking. I've found it referenced all over the net, including on the MGS wiki (https://metalgear.fandom.com/wiki/Raiden) which gives a source to a dead website. Wayback machine has that website up, and it does indeed make the same claim, but it also lists a bunch of sources which include like 4 books about MGS2 and a bunch of interviews.

Regardless, I choose to believe in the bird poo poo eating Spiderman Raiden.

Edit: I found the video I originally heard it in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOYjwWvQHUQ&t=397s

Isaacs Alter Ego has a new favorite as of 09:55 on Apr 14, 2022

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Revengence, but instead of spine electrolytes you heal off bird poo poo.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
http://www.tentenpro.com/muni_shinobu/mg/

Some guy who has translated mgs info from various sources.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
At one point in MGS2 you have to sneak via railing below a guard taking a leak off of the side of the base and he pisses for so utterly long that you basically have to walk into it and get called by your codec team while being pissed on. My favorite caller is Campbell, who gives a stoic "Raiden... My sympathies".

Raiden's response? An only very mildly grossed out "sneaking missions are called wetworks for a reason, after all."

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

Revengence, but instead of spine electrolytes you heal off bird poo poo.

Ripping a bird out of a cyborgs torso and squeezing it like a tube of toothpaste

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Ripping a bird out of a cyborgs torso and squeezing it like a tube of toothpaste

Would that you could do falling attacks in Demon's Souls, that Adjudicator bird would be MINE

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

CJacobs posted:

At one point in MGS2 you have to sneak via railing below a guard taking a leak off of the side of the base and he pisses for so utterly long that you basically have to walk into it and get called by your codec team while being pissed on. My favorite caller is Campbell, who gives a stoic "Raiden... My sympathies".

Raiden's response? An only very mildly grossed out "sneaking missions are called wetworks for a reason, after all."

Accidentally parsing out the word "below" while reading this is wild.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Breetai posted:

They're right and I recommend that everyone does so as well.

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008
So I went to Wikipedia to look something up when I saw the Hockley Pendant (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockley_Pendant) under the "Did you know..." section and I immediately noticed a similarity to a series of talisman items from Elden Ring that are called heirlooms (https://eldenring.fandom.com/wiki/Prosthesis-Wearer_Heirloom), which is a pretty neat reference for FromSoftware to make.

Edit: I'd post their images but I post so rarely that I don't know how to do it, so just bare with clicking links I guess.

Salastine has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Apr 15, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Breetai posted:

Took me a moment, but lmao

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Nioh I just found a big shortcut before the spider lady boss, so that's nice. I was worried I'd have to do the wheelmonk and the big spear guy every time but now I just have to walk up the spiderwebs from the new shrine, which is much less of a hassle.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

In Ghostwire:Tokyo, you can unlock music tracks to play on your in-game MP3 player while you explore the city for collectables and side quests and whatnot. It's one of my favorite features for an open world game and I don't understand why so few of them actually have it.

Anyway, one of the cool things is that in addition to being able to unlock licensed tracks, you can also unlock battle and boss themes and even more interestingly unused/prototype versions of those themes. I've always loved concept art and behind the scenes type stuff like that but I don't think I've ever thought to look into prototype versions of songs before. It's really interesting and also the prototype version of the basic combat theme is way better than the final version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's basically that game and MGSV, right