Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

NJ Deac posted:

As a 2008 grad, it definitely felt like the legal jobs dried up before the bottom fell out of the economy in 2009. Most of my (lovely T2 evening program) graduating class is long out of law practice at this point - though those of us with tech degrees have done alright thanks to the IP angle.

I was thinking about this the other day. There’s a definitely a gap. I don’t work with anyone who graduated in the mid/late aughts. I would have been 2012 if I went straight through but was advised to wait a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

tau posted:

Been a couple years since I checked in on the thread. Is 2011 still the worst graduation year in terms of employment and prospects at the time of graduation? How are my fellow 2011ers doing?

I have been in a government job for going on 10 years and it's pretty good. I got lucky to get in in the first place and I don't have many complaints.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

NJ Deac posted:

As a 2008 grad, it definitely felt like the legal jobs dried up before the bottom fell out of the economy in 2009. Most of my (lovely T2 evening program) graduating class is long out of law practice at this point - though those of us with tech degrees have done alright thanks to the IP angle.

I hadn't really though about this but yeah there's a noticeably weird age distribution at my current public defender's office. Everyone is either exactly my age and older, or at least ten years younger than I am. That decade gap in the age distribution pretty much exactly maps over the age ranges of people who would've hit the legal job market between 2008 and 2018 or so -- I got my first non-clerkship legal job in 2007.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

tau posted:

Been a couple years since I checked in on the thread. Is 2011 still the worst graduation year in terms of employment and prospects at the time of graduation? How are my fellow 2011ers doing?

Still doing the same thing at the same place, basically self-employed crim defence. Have a very cool opportunity for something else non-legal but it would require regular moving around and a pay cut and with a family and mortgage that's unlikely to happen. Objectively what I have is better work with better conditions than most but after a decade it's old and I'm really wishing I had an out so it looks like I'm gonna be stuck here til I die like everyone else in the defence bar.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Anyone else shifted over to compliance? Taking up a bigger portion of my practice every month.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Beyond ReTarTed. posted:

finally finished filling out the papers to charge SomethingAwful in federal court. Approximately 80 counts of 1st amendment and civil rights violations. Can't wait for the judge's ruling :haw:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Well this post aged well.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Whitlam posted:

I want to believe.
Lmao

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

From what I heard, he moved all the money out of his own name and info wars so he can declare bankruptcy and get away scott free. Is this true?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Covok posted:

From what I heard, he moved all the money out of his own name and info wars so he can declare bankruptcy and get away scott free. Is this true?

Not exactly, but he did attempt to take a couple of broke entities into bankruptcy to delay the case. A bunch of lawyers are yelling at his lawyers in front of a bankruptcy judge right now saying it’s a sham and the case should go back to state court for trial. His odds aren’t great.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Covok posted:

very much so, this is a very blatant improper use of bankruptcy

his idiot lawyers did not help him one bit by explaining the intended improper use (to gain a litigation advantage in forcing the plaintiffs to settle) on the record to a newspaper

ulmont posted:

Not exactly, but he did attempt to take a couple of broke entities into bankruptcy to delay the case. A bunch of lawyers are yelling at his lawyers in front of a bankruptcy judge right now saying it’s a sham and the case should go back to state court for trial. His odds aren’t great.

he has also reportedly conducted a lot of fraudulent transfers to move all his assets from the companies sued into different companies

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 22, 2022

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Is it at all likely a prosecutor would pick that up as a fraud case?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

therobit posted:

Is it at all likely a prosecutor would pick that up as a fraud case?

fraudulent transfers are basically a tort, a creditor can sue to undo them and return the money to where it ought to be in order to pay the creditor

it is not a crime itself

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

evilweasel posted:

very much so, this is a very blatant improper use of bankruptcy

his idiot lawyers did not help him one bit by explaining the intended improper use (to gain a litigation advantage in forcing the plaintiffs to settle) on the record to a newspaper

he has also reportedly conducted a lot of fraudulent transfers to move all his assets from the companies sued into different companies

More stupid, he's also claiming the assets of his recording studio itself is $50k or less. Many AV nerds have pointed out that the cameras and mixing boards alone are worth substantially more than that. He can't even fraud right.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pook Good Mook posted:

More stupid, he's also claiming the assets of his recording studio itself is $50k or less. Many AV nerds have pointed out that the cameras and mixing boards alone are worth substantially more than that. He can't even fraud right.

None of the bankrupt entities hold any assets. His studio isn’t owned by any of those. Likewise, Jones personally isn’t bankrupt.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

None of the bankrupt entities hold any assets. His studio isn’t owned by any of those. Likewise, Jones personally isn’t bankrupt.

yeah basically jones tossed some no-asset subsidiaries into bankruptcy, and is going to propose to fund those subsidiaries settling the cases against them with money from his real money-holding entities...in exchange for a full release of those entities in the bankruptcy plan

which will not work of course because he doesn't have enough money (unlike the sacklers) to pay enough people accept it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

evilweasel posted:

yeah basically jones tossed some no-asset subsidiaries into bankruptcy, and is going to propose to fund those subsidiaries settling the cases against them with money from his real money-holding entities...in exchange for a full release of those entities in the bankruptcy plan

which will not work of course because he doesn't have enough money (unlike the sacklers) to pay enough people accept it

The fund was set up less than three weeks and has already spent $200k of the paltry $10m pledged over the next five years on trustee fees and overhead.

Alex Jones has brought in roughly half a billion in revenue since 2012.

Also, Jones’ lawyer repeatedly emphasized that they were only there to force settlement.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

The fund was set up less than three weeks and has already spent $200k of the paltry $10m pledged over the next five years on trustee fees and overhead.

Alex Jones has brought in roughly half a billion in revenue since 2012.

Also, Jones’ lawyer repeatedly emphasized that they were only there to force settlement.

yeah but again "your honor my client really doesn't liiiiiiiiike having to defend himself in court" isn't a valid bankruptcy purpose which is why his lawyers are such idiots

except, actually, maybe in new jersey but again you gotta be able to write checks with ten digits to qualify

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

evilweasel posted:

fraudulent transfers are basically a tort, a creditor can sue to undo them and return the money to where it ought to be in order to pay the creditor

it is not a crime itself

bankruptcy fraud is a real crime tho, so if he knowingly lied on his bankruptcy paperwork a sufficiently motivated federal prosecutor could pay him a visit.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sullat posted:

bankruptcy fraud is a real crime tho, so if he knowingly lied on his bankruptcy paperwork a sufficiently motivated federal prosecutor could pay him a visit.

yeah but i don't think it's bankruptcy fraud not to list assets on your bankruptcy paperwork you no longer own (because you fraudulently transferred them away)

perhaps in some very extreme circumstances it might be but here - where he transferred them to assets owned by non-debtors who are presumably owned by jones (also a non-debtor) - i don't see it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

RIP Roe.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Is this the first scotus leak of a draft opinion? Assuming that's what this actually is.

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000180-874f-dd36-a38c-c74f98520000

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Isn't that bad?

Why leak a draft, is it to prep and/or dissipate the uproar? Because of the election? So they can backpedal if the capital burns?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

Isn't that bad?

Why leak a draft, is it to prep and/or dissipate the uproar? Because of the election? So they can backpedal if the capital burns?

because someone went "holy poo poo the crazy bastards are going to do it"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aye caramba an Alito opinion on abortion

E: this opinion is a Daily Caller article so far

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Isn't that bad?

My conspiracy brain would say, assuming this is an actual scotus leak, it would be done to give a preview of the outrage it would cause in an effort to make the court reconsider.

Shageletic posted:

Not that it's a high bar but yeah if this isn't real someone does a very good Alito impression.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Isn't that bad?

It's because our shithole nation is falling apart and even someone with a Yale Law Free Lifetime Supremacy ticket is willing to sacrifice that to sound the loving alarm.

This has never happened before.

There are already some fairly compelling theories as to who may have leaked but I won't be sharing that.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 3, 2022

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shageletic posted:

The entire draft decision was leaked to the media, which is unprecedented. Pundits are already expressing outrage at to the severe breach of decorum this represents.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Read as: "Holy poo poo the court needs to be brought in line by whatever means necessary." -The Leaker.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Jesus Christ calm down

https://twitter.com/pnjaban/status/...ingawful.com%2F

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm assuming this was Roberts, is that in line with general speculation?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

Well Roberts is the most concerned with appearances of the group and they're about to list this decision in the same breath with Dred Scott and Plessy v. Ferguson, so it's a reasonable conjecture.

That said, who really knows. I'm 50/50 that they ever find the person.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Baron von Eevl posted:

The Opening Arguments takes were:

1. Liberal justice/clerk to wave a red flag
2. Ginny Thomas privately, but escaped to the media wild, as a "look at the cool poo poo we're about to get done"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Comedy option Breyer

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
RBG’s Ghost

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://mobile.twitter.com/akapczynski/status/1521494553877962754

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Comedy option Breyer

This is the superior option.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I saw this thread but I don't buy it at all. The theoretical political damage from the leak is being done to conservatives. There is no actual reason to put their win at risk by committing an enormous, career-destroying violation. No way in hell a true believer conservative clerk would taint the process and their own career with their victory at hand.

I award this theory zero points and am filing it under "cope."

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Roberts has confirmed the leak is legit.

If it was done intentionally for political reasons I agree there’s no way a conservative did it.

It seems entirely possible the original source was just careless and the person who leaked it to the press got it themselves second hand. I think they said this happened in the 70s with a guy who worked at the print shop the court used.

Will be fascinating to see it play out. I can’t even imagine how furious they must be.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I actually was an intern at the Clerk's Office in the SupCt, trying to scroll through my memories of my long ago time there, but I remember it being pretty hard to get your hands on an opinion, especially in the circulation stage. There was a lot of secrecy protocols and stuff. The only people that should be seeing this stuff is Justices and clerks. I'm guessing it's a Justice.

e: you had the Marshalls moving things around too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Shageletic posted:

I actually was an intern at the Clerk's Office in the SupCt, trying to scroll through my memories of my long ago time there, but I remember it being pretty hard to get your hands on an opinion, especially in the circulation stage. There was a lot of secrecy protocols and stuff. The only people that should be seeing this stuff is Justices and clerks. I'm guessing it's a Justice.

e: you had the Marshalls moving things around too

It definitely game from Ginny bragging to her friends.