Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Good to see Labour taking a firm stance again... Oh

https://twitter.com/YvetteCooperMP/status/1514522185196613633?t=IohDk7XFZ0JfvNEJNrgDVQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Rincewinds posted:

Oh, good, Danish policies are spreading, just add it to the pile of things nobody wanted.

Denmark and Britain are close partners in migrant hatred.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Simon Hart posted:

male economic migrants
Just say the n-word you oval office.

This is all part and parcel of ignoring major conflicts like the Tigray War and its spillover and the Insurgency in the Maghreb so that people fleeing those can be painted as less deserving compared to people fleeing e.g. the Russo-Ukrainian War.

e: While also failing people fleeing that but in different ways.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Private Speech posted:

c) How is this different from a sentence of transportation?

it's not called transportation and it's not technically punishment for a crime

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Lungboy posted:

Keep in mind that these are one-way tickets, there's no expectation that anyone deemed "legitimate" will be brought back to the UK, rather that they'll be encouraged to make a new life in Rwanda.

Private Speech posted:

a) I'm sure Rwanda will welcome them with open arms.

quote:

All interviewees testified that upon landing in Rwanda the travel document produced by Israel, the only identity document in their possession, was taken away. They were transferred to a guarded hotel and were prevented, under threat, from leaving. None of them were given the opportunity to apply for asylum. Lacking identity documents and exposed to robberies and threats they were forced to embark on dangerous journeys. Dawit, who left Israel to Rwanda in December 2015, described it as follows: ‘We said we want to go to the UNHCR… But they tell us ‘no, no, no, you have a permit for three days… If you do not move to another country [by then] we will return [you] to your country… We are afraid.’

None of the interviewees who had landed in Rwanda stayed in the country for more than a few days. This information corresponds with recent reports, which state that out of several thousands of people, very few asylum seekers who left Israel remain in Rwanda.
So yeah, they'll be shipped out to Rwanda, who will then tell them to gently caress off somewhere else. Literally just paying some other country (e: typo) to do what HMG want to do but know they can't get away with.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I was being sarcastic there, but yes, unless the UK pays well over odds for it I doubt Rwanda is going to give much of a poo poo.

I also wonder what happens to asylum seekers from Rwanda itself? It's not like it's the safest country in the world.

e: Also if it's "about male economic migrants in the main" what about people like me, a male (legal) economic migrant from eastern europe?

They clearly use "migrants" to mean "illegals, alien scum, just filth" but you'd expect ministers to be more careful with their words.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 14, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

bbc posted:

Under the proposal, Rwanda would take responsibility for the people who make the more than 4,000 mile journey, put them through an asylum process, and at the end of that process, if they are successful, they will have long-term accommodation in Rwanda.

So they aren't being taken for processing to seek asylum in the uk, they are becoming asylum seekers to rwanda.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Private Speech posted:

It's not like it's the safest country in the world.

Boris just said it was!

Is there any chance this gets ruled unlawful the first time it's challenged?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Private Speech posted:

I was being sarcastic there

The linked paper explains that this is basically the same policy that Israel did fairly recently, Rwanda already has an established process for this: just gently caress them off out of the country & hope they don't die on the journey back to Europe to claim asylum again

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

It feels like there ought to be a hundred good arguments against this Batman-villain-tier scheme that come to mind before the economics of it. It's like that Mitchell and Webb "kill the poor" sketch... would they even have an argument if it turned out it didn't cost us money? That's loving terrifying. Like, it reads like "unethical" is only given a side-glance in that tweet to fill up the rule of three.

Absolutely poo poo opposition and I shouldn't be surprised but somehow...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tbh Labour aren't wrong that the braying cunts care more about money than human lives

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
^^^

Isomermaid posted:

It feels like there ought to be a hundred good arguments against this Batman-villain-tier scheme that come to mind before the economics of it. It's like that Mitchell and Webb "kill the poor" sketch... would they even have an argument if it turned out it didn't cost us money? That's loving terrifying. Like, it reads like "unethical" is only given a side-glance in that tweet to fill up the rule of three.

Absolutely poo poo opposition and I shouldn't be surprised but somehow...

This is the United Kingdom we are talking about here. A promise of £350 million on the side of a bus swayed an entire referendum.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

tbh Labour aren't wrong that the braying cunts care more about money than human lives
On the face of it they do, with all the talk about the "cost of immigration" and "male economic migrants", so I suppose attacking the economic argument will at least force them to retreat back to the "swamped by non-whites" argument that they actually mean, because I'm sure that the government has scribbled down the costs and doesn't give a poo poo about the numbers.

See also giant loving wave machines in the channel.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/PeteApps/status/1513856160595595284?s=20&t=RWD5BoeNm17w_LLwA6vIoQ

This is worth reading.

The Rwanda scheme is horrifying. Patel is literally a sociopath.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Tesseraction posted:

Explain Brexit then because people were warned that it would make them poorer, it has made them poorer, and yet they still largely support it because of the 'send em all back' mentality.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The British public is prepared to pay any cost to inflict cruelty on people they think deserve it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

Explain Brexit then because people were warned that it would make them poorer, it has made them poorer, and yet they still largely support it because of the 'send em all back' mentality.
They were also told that there'd be billions freed up by some means or other and that migrants were costing us all the benefits and straining public services, and that the being poorer was project fear.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

They believed it would make them richer. Remember Boris's bus?

Now the fact they still support it is what we in the business call "doubling down"

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I thought it was largely because of the sunk cost fallacy and a bunch of mental gymnastics that means it must have been the right thing to do because otherwise they would have been wrong & they can't be wrong

Also it largely hasn't made the key proponents (olds) poorer, because none of them work. I've literally not heard a single person saying "I lost my job over Brexit but still support it", whereas there were a tonne of people on the telly saying "I supported Brexit but didn't know it would make me poorer, what the gently caress"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

There's no mystery, just the majority of the British population would happily vote to make their own lives worse as long as it also means someone else's life is made even worse.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
We will negotiate a more cost effective Concentration Camp.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I was sure you would have gone with UKMT Spring 2022 - Hotel Rwanda but that is a bit tabloid.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
You've literally got a government minister with the "justifying brexit" portfolio

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Whenever famous TERF Sarah Ditum gets brought up I always remember her husband is one of the Playstation Access Youtube guys who spends his days playing vidyagames and seems reasonably sound or at least hasn't expressed any objectionable opinions publicly, and I wonder what on earth they have to chat about over dinner every night.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Hogwarts Legacy?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Video gametes.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The British public is prepared to pay any cost to inflict cruelty on people they think deserve it.

HOW TO SOLVE THE UK MIGRANT CRISIS IN 3 EASY STEPS

1. FREE VOODOO DOLL TO BE GIVEN AWAY WITH THE SUN, DAILY MAIL, DAILY EXPRESS, DAILY TELEGRAPH AND OTHER RIGHT WING PUBLICATIONS
2. READERS COLLECT TOKENS AND EXCHANGE FOR SPECIAL ANTI-CRIME NEEDLES
3. THE EVIL SPIRIT IS PURGED FROM OUR ONCE GREAT LAND

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Guavanaut posted:

Video gametes.

A large, immobile Xbox.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

therattle posted:

No, she's a full on psychopath. A sociopath won't ever feel regret for what they've done, but they will occasionally feel guilt over any perceived need to have done it or have slight empathy for the people hurt by it. A psychopath will not and is incapable of doing so, because the only important thing is that they got to do what they wanted.

Patel is indisputably in the latter category. You would think that the daughter of an immigrant would empathise with other immigrants if with anyone at all, but she's outright stated that she would have deported her own father if he came to the UK today in the same circumstances.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

No, she's a full on psychopath. A sociopath won't ever feel regret for what they've done, but they will occasionally feel guilt over any perceived need to have done it or have slight empathy for the people hurt by it. A psychopath will not and is incapable of doing so, because the only important thing is that they got to do what they wanted.

Patel is indisputably in the latter category. You would think that the daughter of an immigrant would empathise with other immigrants if with anyone at all, but she's outright stated that she would have deported her own father if he came to the UK today in the same circumstances.

I thought the two words meant the same thing, but am happy to be corrected. She is literally evil.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
She is a bad un whatever the diagnosis.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

ThomasPaine posted:

Whenever famous TERF Sarah Ditum gets brought up I always remember her husband is one of the Playstation Access Youtube guys who spends his days playing vidyagames and seems reasonably sound or at least hasn't expressed any objectionable opinions publicly, and I wonder what on earth they have to chat about over dinner every night.

I wonder how much they talked about the column she wrote about needing her cleaner to work during lockdown to clean up after her hubby and kids

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/farmer-left-with-500t-of-beetroot-blames-brexit-and-red-tape

quote:

A farmer has been left with an unsold crop of organic beetroot worth £90,000, with his regular buyer blaming Brexit and new export controls.

Will Woodhall grows 35ha of beetroot at Penkridge, Staffordshire, supplying UK and European buyers.

But 500t destined for Europe is now sitting in his farmyard as the marketing company that handles his sales told him European buyers no longer wanted non-EU produce.

Bring on the revolution!
Beetroots for all so we can chuck 'em in the air and shout "gently caress Capitalism!"

https://twitter.com/PukkahPunjabi/status/981468709553360897?s=20&t=a1IJe-_6tRGa9xl5O3ZHtQ

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ThomasPaine posted:

She said her husband hates spending time with her so much and never lifts a finger to help that she couldn't let her cleaner stay home during the first lockdown.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

This is so blatantly the tories just trying to throw a bone to the base, on the off chance they might be mad at them

"looks like Boris is in a spot of bother, time to throw some darkies to the wolves, that'll play well with the Thanet crowd"

therattle posted:

https://twitter.com/PeteApps/status/1513856160595595284?s=20&t=RWD5BoeNm17w_LLwA6vIoQ

This is worth reading.

:smith: gently caress

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

If the supermarkets don't buy these beetroots then they should be ashamed, British beetroots for British people!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Borrovan posted:

I thought it was largely because of the sunk cost fallacy and a bunch of mental gymnastics that means it must have been the right thing to do because otherwise they would have been wrong & they can't be wrong

Also it largely hasn't made the key proponents (olds) poorer, because none of them work. I've literally not heard a single person saying "I lost my job over Brexit but still support it", whereas there were a tonne of people on the telly saying "I supported Brexit but didn't know it would make me poorer, what the gently caress"

There was a bunch of polling on this that basically showed that retired people were way more likely to accept people being worse off (even family members) because of brexit as a price worth paying. Pure coincidence it was them who were least likely to be worse off I'm sure.

e: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2017/08/01/britain-nation-brexit-extremists

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 14, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wait tomorrow's a holiday? From unemployment/the pandemic I'd forgotten

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Lord of the Llamas posted:

There was a bunch of polling on this that basically showed that retired people were way more likely to accept people being worse off (even family members) because of brexit as a price worth paying. Pure coincidence it was them who were least likely to be worse off I'm sure.
See my grandparents, who genuinely honestly tell themselves that the reason they keep voting for the party who keep cutting the pay of literally every single direct descendant they have over the age of 7 months is out of care for us (we're all public sector, if it wasn't clear)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

WhatEvil posted:

All this talk of old sitcoms got me thinking about Open All Hours and how they did that revival Still Open All Hours where Granville (David Jason) had taken over the shop.

I had no idea it had run for six seasons, I just thought it was a one-off 6-episode run.

Was that any good?

Not great, not terrible.