Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of Michele Yeoh just watched Everything Everywhere At Once and she absolutely kicks so much rear end there. Kinda a spoiler, but it's revealed if you watch the trailer. loving astounding movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
The deleted scenes in Cobra are all flashbacks about why he eats pizza that way

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

EEAAO except Yeoh keeps jumping to realities where she's Cobra to learn pizza scissoring skills that somehow solve all her problems.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Speaking of Michele Yeoh just watched Everything Everywhere At Once and she absolutely kicks so much rear end there. Kinda a spoiler, but it's revealed if you watch the trailer. loving astounding movie.

It's so great. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that you see a bunch of different fighting styles in the movie too, and in a bunch of different contexts. There's a lot of hype behind it which I get can be overwhelming but it really is so, so good.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm slowly working through this giant backlog and... is Project A the best all around jackie chan movie? I really enjoyed it and wasn't as let down by the non action scenes as I often am. having Sammo and Biao helped a ton

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's certainly very very good, maybe my favourite Chan.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The first Police Story, for me

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The second Drunken Master film is probably my top, but it's really hard to choose. Just about his entire catalogue from the late 70's to the early 00's are filled with so many gems or diamonds in the rough that you'll be thoroughly entertained by them.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Snake-Crane Secret is probably my favorite Jackie Chan film. Far from his best stunts, but he has such strong cheeky, charming rogue charisma in it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I have to mentally divide them into kung fu showcases and stunt showcases, and even then it's hard to pick a favorite.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I'm a big Jackie Chan fan, but I've only seen ~12 of his movies (Drunken Master II is my favorite so far). I tried going on a movie marathon of his a while ago, but the movies are spread out among streaming things, if around at all, and even then it can be hard to tell which ones are worth hunting down. Which would be considered his classics outside the drunken master/police story films?

ps: shoutout to "Who am I?"

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
How has no one has mentioned Meals on Wheels yet. The end fight with Benny the Jet is so good.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dracula Factory posted:

Which would be considered his classics outside the drunken master/police story films?

Project A films
Armour of God films
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
City Hunter
Rumble in the Bronx
Who Am I?
Mr. Nice Guy
Gorgeous
Wheels on Meals

Those are what people usually think of as "classic" Chan. I haven't seen everything, including the stuff he did with Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao (the Lucky Stars films) so idk. Atypical Chan films I've liked include Shaolin Wooden Men, which is best early, pre fame movie, but is basically a standard kung fu film without much of his personality, and The Foreigner, which is a decent thriller.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Don't forget Dragons Forever!

And for atypical you want Heart of Dragon, with Sammo as his mentally impaired younger brother. Only one action sequence at the finale, after a pretty impressive dramatic outing

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Mantis42 posted:

I have to mentally divide them into kung fu showcases and stunt showcases, and even then it's hard to pick a favorite.

Yeah I have drunken master 2 for Kung Fu and operation condor for stunts, but there are so many more to choose from.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Some of Sammo Hungs movies are definitely worth a watch, Millionaires Express has some crazy stunts and Eastern Condors is pretty fun as well.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish there was an easy way to get Dragons Forever in the US. There's a place in the UK who put it out on blu-ray but those are region-locked.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I see it's available for rent on Amazon if that counts.

I managed to see My Lucky Stars when some online streaming service hosted an event where Scott Adkins gave commentary and it was awesome but haven't been able to track it down again to rewatch

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Horrifying Lack of Project A/ Part 2 in this thread.

Also a lack of videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iI3SBEmk0A&t=268s

Remulak fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 14, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I've only ever seen Part 2, as Stef and Nige from Vids in the UK were doing some Jackie Chan or Hong Kong season on TV and decided that's the one they'd show. I always meant to go back to watch the first, I remember loving 2 as a kid.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

brocked posted:

Don't forget Dragons Forever!

And for atypical you want Heart of Dragon, with Sammo as his mentally impaired younger brother. Only one action sequence at the finale, after a pretty impressive dramatic outing

Speaking of which, 88 Films is putting out a 4K of Dragons Forever.

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1512516648686731270

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

I'm slowly working through this giant backlog and... is Project A the best all around jackie chan movie? I really enjoyed it and wasn't as let down by the non action scenes as I often am. having Sammo and Biao helped a ton

Just looked at the trailer. Lol, never seen it but have seen the behind scene bits. That tower stunt is insane, and there's a video of Chan doing it over and over again.

e: found this vid, jesus christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO-LmaccB74

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i've seen dick wei in 4 movies this week! project A, eastern condors, dragons forever and yes madam. i've now seen 100 movies since my pre new years resolution to watch a ton more, and 64 of them have been action. and i still have hundreds more to go

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

I think you guys will like this movie/documentary I watched the other day.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15392272/

here's a trailer for it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31euyjQHIew

what kind of stuck out to me was they really praised Mars from the jackie chan stunt team, going as far as pointing out that in the famous clock tower fall posted above, the first few takes that were shown in the outtatkes, were of Mars and not jackie. It also details how since they were similar builds Mars tested jackies stunts first, one of them put him out for THREE MONTHS.

LIke I love Jackie Chan and I don't think I ever knew this. It also talks about how Lau Kar-leung's stunt team all practiced 'real' kung fu so some people didn't like working on their movies cuz they'd get more hurt.

Lots of interesting tidbits.

HKS fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 15, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I haven't watched the Amazon Reacher series yet, but I'm familiar with the character from the books. I know he's basically a giant, and this is a big part of the character and the stories. So when I heard many years back they were casting Tom Cruise for a film, I thought it sounded like a horrible case of miscasting, and never made any effort to see it.

But I just watched it, the first movie, and man... that was a great, great action flick, I thought. McQarrie did a great job with the script and he really knows how to direct this kind of film. You need to try and forget about the book Reacher and just go with it, and Cruise was pretty convincing as a badass.

Is the second one any good?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I've know I've seen the second Reacher film - I must own the DVD, because I didn't see it in a cinema - and I couldn't tell you anything about it. So that may answer your question.

Struggling to remember a single moment, and... it's in New Orleans? Tom Cruise jumps between upper floors of buildings at night? Beyond that, sorry, got nada.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The talk about Chuck Norris just reminds me of the mid 2000s when everyone on the internet would have a Chuck Norris joke. Those were simpler times.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Definitely watch the Reacher show. I only tried it because of my love of Thad Castle and just wanted to see him in it, then accidentally got hooked. It’s such a blast.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Watching it right now, in fact!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Payndz posted:

I've know I've seen the second Reacher film - I must own the DVD, because I didn't see it in a cinema - and I couldn't tell you anything about it. So that may answer your question.

Struggling to remember a single moment, and... it's in New Orleans? Tom Cruise jumps between upper floors of buildings at night? Beyond that, sorry, got nada.

The first one has some great hand to hand fighting and loving Werner Herzog is the main villain. Also one of my favorite threats in a movie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mySMw3VkEBE

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I enjoy the second Jack Reacher film. It's not great but it's still Cruise being Cruise. It also has maybe a little bit of a Bourne thing going on where Reacher goes up against a villain that can actually be a threat and hold his own against him. In the first one Reacher pretty much annihilates anyone he encounters, which is cool but the sequel brings something new to the table that way.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I just sit here waiting to watch a sequel to Edge of Tomorrow, which fuckin’ owned and is one of the Cruisiest movies to ever Cruise.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What's the thread opinions on action movie GOAT?

I see there are a lot of Jackie fans here, and that's totally understandable. As someone who became a teenager in the 80s, personally I definitely have to go with Arnold. He's done a lot of stuff, but to me Commando is kind of the Action Movie of Action Movies.

Like, it takes everything the genre was about at the time and combines it and amps it up to eleven, and it has fun doing it with this wry, almost tongue in cheek approach. I mean, it's not at all a spoof or a comedy, but it knows what it is, it knows it's over the top, and it loves doing it.

Then, Predator is not only a great action film, but a great film overall IMO. Kind of a unique blend of action, sci-fi, and horror.

Then you've got The Last Action Hero which a lot of people hate, but I've always loved because it's a great send-up of the whole genre, and it pokes fun at Arnold himself. Plus, you've got Charles Dance as the villain, and that can never be bad.

quote:

Benedict : I understand you are interested in drug dealers.
Danny Madigan : [whispering] Jack, that's him, the henchman with the glass eye.
Jack Slater : Sir, are you a henchman?
Benedict : No, I only go as far as lackey. Anything else?
Jack Slater : Yeah, take off your sunglasses.
Benedict : Who's asking?
Jack Slater : [flashes Police badge] The tin man.
Benedict : Well, tin man, suppose you hit the bricks.
Jack Slater : No, they're the wrong color.
Benedict : Are they? Oh dear. Let's change them. Would arterial red suit you?
[points to guard dogs]
Benedict : Make no mistake, they are exceptionally well-trained.
[snaps fingers, dogs form pyramid]
Benedict : I snap my fingers again and some time tomorrow, you emerge from several canine rectii. Or you and Toto can return to the land of Oz. Questions?
Jack Slater : Yeah, two of them. Why am I wasting my time with silly putz like you when I could be doing something more dangerous - like rearranging my sock drawer? Two, how exactly are you going to snap your fingers, after I rip off both of your thumbs?

Arnie of course did a ton of other stuff besides, and he's the one for me.

Then, I know he's been a joke for a long time but the very end of the 80s through the very beginning of the 90s, Seagal was really quite a revelation. His early three-word-title films, the first three, are all great action flicks IMO. He doesn't top Arnie or even come close but he really stood out for me, for a few years there.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 16, 2022

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Overall impact is where Arnold is hard to beat. He's probably comparable to like a John Wayne, he came along and pretty much changed the whole landscape of movies for a time.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MrMojok posted:

Watching it right now, in fact!

Really enjoying the Amazon Reacher so far. I don't know who this hulking mountain of an actor is or where they found him. I've certainly never seen him before, but he is loving perfect as Reacher.

This will come across as an odd thing to fixate on but the use of the Stones "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" over the end credits of episode one kind of took me aback. The Stones are notorious for charging out the rear end for use of their music, along with the Beatles and Zeppelin. I of course have no way of knowing what Amazon paid for this but i would not be surprised if it was in the $200,000-$250,000 range. Seems like an odd use of money for what looks like a low-to-medium budget show, but then again I don't do their budget so what do I know.

My ears just always perk up whenever I hear that band in media and it seemed odd. Anyway, the show is great so far.

e: the "military police" aspect of the Reacher novels has really never rang true because MPs in the army aren't investigators like this. CID does that, but that's a not a failing of the show, it's just an in accuracy in the source material.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 16, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Arnold in his prime was really good at picking which movies to star in, too.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Arnold in his prime was really good at picking which movies to star in, too.

Word. Going from Pumping Iron to a low-budget Hercules movie to a couple of appearances as villains on TV shows, to the Conan-Terminator-Commando phase which was only over a period of like two years, was pure genius.

David Morrell's book First Blood is really good, and the film adaptation of it is in many ways faithful to it, except that Rambo dies at the end in the book. But the 1985 Rambo First Blood part two was a completely different kind of film, it was an action hero film, and I recall thinking that turn was inspired by what Arnold was doing at the time. Although I guess Chuck Norris had made a couple by then too.

I guess what i'm saying is that prior to 1976 Stallone had done bit roles as cops and heavies and then he became Rocky Balboa, but Arnold paved the way for the man to become an action hero. The 1985 Rambo film was quite a switch.

As an aside, the Rambo film that came out in 2008 or so is one of the most insane loving things I have ever seen. I remember walking out of the theater at the time thinking, "Holy loving poo poo"

Saving Private Ryan kind of ushered in this "OK here is what real war violence really looks like, here is the reality of the situation" type of thing and it's like the 2008 Rambo was saying "OK, here is what it looks like if we really show it all and pull no punches in an action film"

I have that on Blu and I watch it once a year or so, and it amazes me that I can be shocked every time.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Overall impact is where Arnold is hard to beat. He's probably comparable to like a John Wayne, he came along and pretty much changed the whole landscape of movies for a time.

Arnold's influence is still felt, no? Isn't John Cena basically neo-Arnold?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Basebf555 posted:

I enjoy the second Jack Reacher film. It's not great but it's still Cruise being Cruise. It also has maybe a little bit of a Bourne thing going on where Reacher goes up against a villain that can actually be a threat and hold his own against him. In the first one Reacher pretty much annihilates anyone he encounters, which is cool but the sequel brings something new to the table that way.

It's pretty much the rule that the hero is a better person and therefore is better at stuff then the villain. The villain may have an advantage of having an army of thugs, being a killer cyborg, a vampire or the infinity stones but that just means the hero will have to be even more resourceful. Once that advantage is neutralized the hero triumphs, possibly killing the villain when they pull a gun after losing the fair fight. Scenes where the villain is outright superior to the hero(es) in a fair fight are not very common, for a long time this was (or still is) even explicitly forbidden by government codes. One of the best examples would be Project A where pirate lord Dick Wei fights the combined might of Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao and beats the poo poo out of them. In the end the heroes need a dirty trick to deal with him as he's just too strong. Same with Mad Dog in The Raid, the heroes have to resort to a weapon as the honorable fight is not going their way at all.

In Hollywood I cannot come up with many fights where the villain is just winning in a fair fight. Darth Maul does very well 1v2 until the Plot Device Forcefields come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Darth Maul is a great example of the villain being more proficient, but in the end he is bested by a noobish-Obi Wan who is raging and probably has the force on his side, after its reduced to 1v1

e: Obi-Wan is the true badass of those films. He takes down Maul, Grievous, Anakin, old Darth Vader, and if you count the cartoons, Maul again (and the last duel against Maul he killed him because he saw how Maul killed Qui-Gon and wasn't going to falll for that)

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 16, 2022