Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SettingSun posted:

Crystal Conflict is a goddamn blast. Loving the dark knight kit they have going on in pvp right now.

How do you play DRK in CC? I’m very bad at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i should probably figure out if you can switch jobs/roles during the pre-match waiting period of cc because lmao some of the party comps the matchmaker throws together. but then i'd have to setup my hotbars for other jobs and :effort:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Oneiros posted:

i should probably figure out if you can switch jobs/roles during the pre-match waiting period of cc because lmao some of the party comps the matchmaker throws together. but then i'd have to setup my hotbars for other jobs and :effort:

In ranked at least you can't. Found that out when i accidentally queued on GNB.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

How do you play DRK in CC? I’m very bad at it.

I am by no means an expert but this is what I have been doing. They have killer zoning potential. Salted Earth is a death zone and its proc is an aoe bind. Shadowbringer -> Bloodspiller is a lot of damage and you can repeat it to do even more. Their LB is fun if you can get a lot of targets with quietus afterwards because you can spam SB into BS for maximum damage.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
how do you get the job-specific adventurer plate stuff

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

crystalline conflict currency stuff. one of vendors in the wolves' den sells them now

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

Buy with trophy crystals efb

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'm updating my PvP post, and I see that they haven't updated the Frontlines guides (the still reference Adrenaline, instead of Limit Break, for example). I just played CC today and haven't touched Frontlines yet, so I'm wondering if anyone noticed if these were actually still applicable?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/bd034e5ce8a8054914c2c1d5cbd632318e97a53e
Maintenance ending early in like 10 minutes.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
For anyone hoping the Minuet issue has been fixed, bad news.

quote:

■ The following issues have been addressed.
・Players were unable to enter the housing lottery for relocation under certain conditions.
・For legacy characters, the character profile failed to be applied on the adventurer plate if they had their legacy mark turned off (/legacymark off).

* A client update will be necessary to address the issues with bard's "the Wanderer's Minuet" ability and white mage's "Aero II" spell, which is scheduled to be addressed in Patch 6.11.

I'm not aware of what the Aero II issue is, though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Onean posted:

It's a straight downgrade from Aero II -> Dia as things stand. Same damage (though it changes from wind to unaspected, that's mostly flavor in the current state of the game) and duration, but the cost doubles.
I think the intended fix is reducing Aero II's potency.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Ahhhh.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Onean posted:

For anyone hoping the Minuet issue has been fixed, bad news.

Boooooooooooooooooooo

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Failboattootoot posted:

Done a lot of CC since the patch went live. Series level 15, bounce back and forth between ranked and casual. Almost made it to silver but then didn't, such as life.

My current takes is that the mode is fun but there's definitely clear winners and losers in terms of job balance. Warrior and Samurai in particular are obscenely busted. I have no idea why you would play any other tank or melee dps, and I've been trying them.15 second aoe stun on warrior, effectively 7 second cd aoe bind on samurai and also samurai has the biggest lol I just no effort killed your team limit break out of everyone (at least until people figure out what not to do to live).

The amount of CC across the board is also kinda unreasonable, but really they just need to make bind work like it does in every other mmo and have it prevent you from moving and not from turning. Taking the Stun off primal rend (or , making it single target) will also go a long way to making things feel less lovely.

On the whole, I am fairly impressed by the balance. Minus these 2 jobs it mostly seems reasonable. Although reaper is a dumpsterfire. But it was a dumpsterfire before the revamp too so no surprise there.

Basically my thoughts, but I'm a bit more harsh on the lack of balance. I'm seeing the same 8-9 classes constantly, and several classes are real bad, like RPR, GNB, and BLM. WHM is the only worthwhile healer because support effects aren't strong enough to matter in a meta where timing Guard has an outsized importance. SAM's limit and WAR's lifesteal both need to be nerfed into the ground. There's a lot to do, and the PvP team needs to show that they are willing to act quickly. We'll see what happens in 6.11.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've tried out several classes in PvP, with mixed results.

However, Monk can now suplex the enemy, it's their LB.

I need a Rival Wings match to see if I can suplex Brute Justice.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Hunter Noventa posted:

I've tried out several classes in PvP, with mixed results.

However, Monk can now suplex the enemy, it's their LB.

I need a Rival Wings match to see if I can suplex Brute Justice.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Frontlines is a total crazyfest, there's a mix of people who actually want to try to win for the title and people who just want to find the nearest person and hit buttons

If you're lucky those two objectives intersect :v:

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 14, 2022

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
I'm a bit less harsh on the PvP class balance, although I agree there's some balance issues there. Mostly because a lot of the classes that aren't WAR/SAM/NIN are more issues in terms of how much harder they are to play than outright bad. Part of the issue with SAM in particular is that the onus is on the player attacking into SAM to bait out their parry into LB, vs, say, MNK who can very much one-shot someone through Guard (in a pretty consistent manner actually), but it's very rough to get the combination down without a lot of practice and it requires some setup. Ostensibly, amongst two godlike players, MNK would catch up a bit more to SAM in that example because MNK has more control over their rotation than SAM's parry, but with people not knowing what they're doing, the favoring is the opposite.

I'd say give it a bit to see if people figure out the game a bit more, although first reactions are indeed that SAM, WHM, and WAR are some of the best classes, and NIN is close behind (albeit with some more difficulty due to a lot of their strength being in busted disengage). I'm not 100% convinced BLM is actually as bad as people are saying, but the comp to make them work might be specific enough that it's not a good solo queue character, given that you have a high time-to-kill on single target.

EDIT: I was actually curious and went into the PvP Revival discord to see if there are other opinions from veterans and there are some surprises. For example, a lot of people are putting DRG as same tier as SAM for being busted, for example, although I don't know if it's specific to Frontlines or CC. I've also heard some people talking about how JP has basically become a double healer meta with SGE along with WHM.

So yeah, it's further proof that it's early, especially for us casual noobs that aren't grinding it.

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 14, 2022

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Dragongem posted:

Frontlines is a total crazyfest, there's a mix of people who actually want to try to win for the title and people who just want to find the nearest person and hit buttons

i love that frontlines got even more chaotic :allears:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Dragongem posted:

Sounds like nothing has changed

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dragongem posted:

I checked out frontlines again and got my standard 'agh there's so many factions, who are my guys in the map, who are my enemies where should I be going what am I doing??' experience, so yeah can't say I've noticed a huge change even with the shiny new MOBA skills

Crystaline Conflict was badass though, shame I can't actually queue with anyone for it

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 14, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A team based mode with only solo queues seems like a weird choice, and it makes it harder to shove all the blame for my losses on the enemy team being a premade.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Just wanna say I'm quite disturbed by the hubris being displayed by our allies in this MSQ

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SettingSun posted:

A team based mode with only solo queues seems like a weird choice, and it makes it harder to shove all the blame for my losses on the enemy team being a premade.

That's pretty much exactly why they did it. So that people trying PvP for the first time who solo queue don't get matched against and destroyed by five stacks using Discord to communicate, which might make them less interested in playing PvP.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

SettingSun posted:

Eh, it's sort of a "neither choice really wins" problem. If you allow groups there's a chance that solo queues run into premades and get stomped and it's not fun, but if you don't then you can't play with friends directly.

You could possibly solve the premade stomping solos in casual by doing premade group size matching, though I think you might run into queue length issues.

I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it to allow groups for casual in the future but for now I think it's the better choice.

Also made gold yesterday in CC and it's like entering an entirely new world in gold/plat games. Really enjoyable but I'll be interested to see how much class balance matters now that there's expected competence in all players.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 14, 2022

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

AncientSpark posted:

I'm a bit less harsh on the PvP class balance, although I agree there's some balance issues there. Mostly because a lot of the classes that aren't WAR/SAM/NIN are more issues in terms of how much harder they are to play than outright bad. Part of the issue with SAM in particular is that the onus is on the player attacking into SAM to bait out their parry into LB, vs, say, MNK who can very much one-shot someone through Guard (in a pretty consistent manner actually), but it's very rough to get the combination down without a lot of practice and it requires some setup. Ostensibly, amongst two godlike players, MNK would catch up a bit more to SAM in that example because MNK has more control over their rotation than SAM's parry, but with people not knowing what they're doing, the favoring is the opposite.

I'd say give it a bit to see if people figure out the game a bit more, although first reactions are indeed that SAM, WHM, and WAR are some of the best classes, and NIN is close behind (albeit with some more difficulty due to a lot of their strength being in busted disengage). I'm not 100% convinced BLM is actually as bad as people are saying, but the comp to make them work might be specific enough that it's not a good solo queue character, given that you have a high time-to-kill on single target.

EDIT: I was actually curious and went into the PvP Revival discord to see if there are other opinions from veterans and there are some surprises. For example, a lot of people are putting DRG as same tier as SAM for being busted, for example, although I don't know if it's specific to Frontlines or CC. I've also heard some people talking about how JP has basically become a double healer meta with SGE along with WHM.

So yeah, it's further proof that it's early, especially for us casual noobs that aren't grinding it.

I could see drg being good, they top the damage charts constantly. I kinda feel like people are sleeping on the value of aoe. For example, every person a ninja catches with that fireball move will have to use a recuperate stack to heal the damage eventually since its 4k+a 4k dot which is incidental pressure. Drg tosses out so many aoe skills all the time that they probably help immensely when you get stuck in an attrition fight where nobody seems capable of figuring out how to burst anyone down without a limit break.

The double healer comp just sounds stupid. Not saying it's bad, it might be amazing! But any comp that requires 2 jobs doesn't make any sense to me when you have no control over team composition.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Onean posted:

I'm updating my PvP post, and I see that they haven't updated the Frontlines guides (the still reference Adrenaline, instead of Limit Break, for example). I just played CC today and haven't touched Frontlines yet, so I'm wondering if anyone noticed if these were actually still applicable?

Finally got home from work and tried out Frontlines. As far as I could tell this was still the case, so I'm going to leave it in.

Just some proofreading and the post should be done. I got more work done on it last night than I expected. Slow night.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Failboattootoot posted:

The double healer comp just sounds stupid. Not saying it's bad, it might be amazing! But any comp that requires 2 jobs doesn't make any sense to me when you have no control over team composition.

Presumably they're talking about Custom games, but yeah 5v5 and solo queue are basically completely different games.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

W.T. Fits posted:

That's pretty much exactly why they did it. So that people trying PvP for the first time who solo queue don't get matched against and destroyed by five stacks using Discord to communicate, which might make them less interested in playing PvP.

It’s trivial to make stacks queue into stacks, most games in tyool 2022 do this

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's trivial to do so when you have a population that essentially supports 2 queues. This is FFXIV pvp we're talking here.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I still think allowing duos would not meaningfully make pvp more stomp-heavy, especially if each team could only have one duo on it or something (and even that feels like overkill)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The new mode is so volatile that 2 coordinated people on a team would have a good advantage over 5 randoms. Burst is so powerful, and that extra bit of coordination would have inertia.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Wouldn't that significantly change how match making has to occur on the backend? Like yeah, it make so much more sense to me that it's not really worth the effort to account for all those possibilities

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Died on the volcano map yesterday because I used Cover on a guy and then he ran into a map hazard bomb explosion and the damage transferred to me

Countblanc posted:

I still think allowing duos would not meaningfully make pvp more stomp-heavy, especially if each team could only have one duo on it or something (and even that feels like overkill)

Duos would be fine imo but casual would absolutely be unplayable if you could 5-stack queue. It'd be just like old Frontline

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can gain an immediate advantage in CC if you or someone else uses markers and callouts to focus fire on high value targets. Focused burst is vital!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hazardousmouse posted:

Wouldn't that significantly change how match making has to occur on the backend? Like yeah, it make so much more sense to me that it's not really worth the effort to account for all those possibilities

It depends on how they implement it. Ranked League has a fairly narrow rating band with which you can duo queue with another person, and it's entirely disallowed in Masters+, whereas casual modes average out party MMR and then do some behind-the-scenes balancing with the matchmaking to try and get a roughly even amount of MMR on each team. As mentioned, though, this is something that works primarily because there's a large enough pool of players to draw from to keep queue times low.

Duos are an interesting question for me as a longtime League player. They've seesawed over the years over how many people should be allowed to group together in ranked modes, but they've been gradually moving towards disallowing duo queuing entirely from ranked. It's obviously not something that's 1-1 applicable here, since duos in League exert substantially more influence due to snowballing mechanics inherent to the format, but being able to coordinate CC and burst over comms is a substantial advantage in a mode where you're otherwise playing reactively to what your teammates are doing.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

hazardousmouse posted:

Just wanna say I'm quite disturbed by the hubris being displayed by our allies in this MSQ

I picture my WoL as knowing it’s all going to go wrong and still encouraging it because she is bored as gently caress.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Given all the poo poo we've lived through at this point, I think the hubris is understandable.

I can't wait to see what terrible things end up happening, though!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Dragoon is very very good and i'd probably rate it higher than samurai currently because it doesn't rely on the enemy team to play into your LB.

In case you missed it (because i did), Geirskogul gives you a 25% damage done and taken buff for 10s or until you use Nastrond.

The combo is Geirskogul > Elusive Jump > Wyrmwind Thrust > High Jump > Nastrond > Heavens' Thrust.

This has a potency of 4000 + 20000 + 6250 + 10000 + 10000 = 50250 in 2 GCDs, 34k of which is aoe.

AoE damage is very important. If you can make multiple people use their pots to heal through your damage they won't have them up for when you switch.

Also i am pretty certain the damage buff applies to your LB as well, so 37500 in 5y and 25000 in 10 yards.

For CC itself, i found you can pretty consistently get into the same game if you queue at the same time even with the queue activity being at its probable all time high right now. That doesn't guarantee you get on the same team but if you are confident you can have a >55.55% win rate when on the same team then you end up ahead. If there is a hidden MMR then you can take turn sandbagging games to keep it somewhat even.

If someone gets into a new tier they can then feed wins to their friend as they can't fall out of it.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure it won't match two of the same class on the same team, so if that's the case queue as the same class to guarantee you are on opposite teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dragongem posted:

I chained together NIN LB so many times in a row at one point yesterday that my LB just fully charged up again so I'm definitely somewhere around the point of intersection I think.