Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This was the first episode I liked this season. Although that is not that weird it often takes a while for me to warm up to the casts, and it’s usually the worst gameplay pre-merge.

I really hope this is the last of this time reversal gimmick though. I say that absolutely rolling over Tori saying “he’ll probably like it” about Rox…and dude clearly loved it. Strong Al Bundy energy. He won’t win so I can enjoy that freely.

Tori is every 20 something therapist I came across either professionally or as a consumer of the service so I have a soft spot even though she is kind of the worst. Romeo and Hai’s moment was sweet and I loved all the Mike chats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Oh Tori. Casting gold even though she is definitely quite insufferable IRL

https://twitter.com/robcesternino/status/1514413252213678083

https://twitter.com/robcesternino/status/1514415266536599563

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I find tori totally bland, and I usually enjoy a wildcard instigator.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I find tori totally bland, and I usually enjoy a wildcard instigator.

Kind of agree. Somehow Tori is both bland and insufferable. It's pretty hard to get such a mix.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Antiquated Pants posted:

I wish it was Tori, she's the worst but drat it was the one challenge that Jonathan couldn't just dominate.
It not being able to be Tori made it ten times more dynamic though.

Might be lots of challenges like this that Jonathan can't dominate now that we're at merge.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Honestly unless he has been sandbagging this whole way. It seems like Jonathan is going to struggle quite a bit. Not too many challenges post merge are just physical... Doesn't seem like he's too good at puzzles and I can't imagine a lot of the pain endurance challenges are going to be easy for a giant.

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Honestly unless he has been sandbagging this whole way. It seems like Jonathan is going to struggle quite a bit. Not too many challenges post merge are just physical... Doesn't seem like he's too good at puzzles and I can't imagine a lot of the pain endurance challenges are going to be easy for a giant.

I love Jonathan so far so this may be wishful thinking, but despite him walking away from the early triangles challenge and Lindsay telling everyone he sucks at puzzles this week, have we seen him be bad at one yet?

But ultimately I agree - I think that the threat of his immunity challenge dominance is overstated. He'll need to nurture his relationships, which I don't think is out of the question given what we've seen.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Looks like Tribal-Council is kind of broken this week. They have Lindsay as the person voted out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, guys like Jonathan can dominate in the camp and group challenges by brute force and athleticism but individual immunities are more varied and tend to be like puzzles and focus and balance and stuff like that. And he might do well in those but they also just might not be in his skill set and he's carrying way more weight and size than everyone else so he's gonna be at a disadvantage in some.

He was always going to be targeted as soon as Merge happens. But he at least seems to (a) recognize that and doesn't think he can just beast his way through and (b) seems to have a good social game so he's got people willing to fight for him. I don't know how long that can last. He's still probably doomed in the short run. But you never know with Survivor. The right challenges, the right meltdowns.

I'm glad to see that the Jonathan, Mike, and Rocks dad club is developing as I'd hoped.

Also Tori's the worst.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Fast Luck posted:

It not being able to be Tori made it ten times more dynamic though.

Might be lots of challenges like this that Jonathan can't dominate now that we're at merge.

That is a good point, that was a ridiculous scramble and let other people shine as well. Tori is probably going to stir poo poo up going forward. I just don't like her attitude, or watching her, but everyone else reacting to the situation is good.

Also she does get some credit for winning that challenge, that one always looks incredibly frustrating.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I can't believe Chanelle didn't tell Omar he was about to lose his vote. The worst Shipwheel Island partner.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Omar and Jonathan are the dudes rock alliance and im here for it

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Overdrift posted:

Looks like Tribal-Council is kind of broken this week. They have Lindsay as the person voted out.

I definitely confused Lydia and Lindsay (as names) at the start of the season too. I feel you, Tribal-Council Guy.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I find Tori fascinating because she just can't seem to stop making unforced social errors. Trying to be like "oh Rocksroy, I'm sorry YOU didn't appreciate the gift we gave you" or the weird aside right before tribal where she tells Jonathan to his face that she's sorry to see him go but she needs immunity wins.

She's convinced that as a therapist she can run rings around everyone socially so she doesn't have to be nice! What a grating thing to base your game play on!!!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

HOLY poo poo?! APPLEBEES!
gently caress YEAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!
*Jumps up and down, punches my self in the face, headbutts the guy standing next to me, runs over and toungue-kisses Jeff, falls over and spasms until I vomit*

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I know we only get little glimpses of the contestants and their interactions but for someone who’s job it is to talk to people, Tori seems pretty bad at it. Grilling Rocks was stupid and reminds me of when an acquaintance was going through the job interview process for the RCMP and had to take a lie detector test: the guy just kept insisting that they were holding back, so they just made up small bullshit that wasn’t even true in order to get through it and everyone hated him.

That’s the best case scenario, since she already decided he’s lying.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Mighty Moltres posted:

HOLY poo poo?! APPLEBEES!
gently caress YEAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!
*Jumps up and down, punches my self in the face, headbutts the guy standing next to me, runs over and toungue-kisses Jeff, falls over and spasms until I vomit*

Applebee's sucks poo poo at home but I'd be pretty excited about it too if I were them

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I have no idea why I like Tori. She's not playing very well and she'd probably be annoying on the island. I guess she just reminds me of so many people that I spent my twenties drinking with, but I grin every time she Mr. Magoos her way through another vote.

It'll probably stop being funny when she somehow gets my boy Hai voted out instead of her.

I do think it bodes well for Hai that he apparently knew going in that he didn't have the votes to save Lydia. It means he hasn't been shut out of the loop. Not sure I agree with Omar's thinking on keeping Mary Ann instead of blindsiding her, but good on him for whipping the votes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Omar kept both of his pre merge allies so I don’t think you can pick that too much.

Hai seems to have a decent read and social game and it might help him to lose Lydia since he was just openly advertising them as a duo. I dunno if anyone will do a sideways glance at him for voting her out the way Mike kinda did but that stuff tends to pass. He didn’t really betray or anything and the tide had probably just turned outside his control.

I also assume that the knowledge/suspicion Mary Ann had an idol might have just kept her out of the question. Otherwise that 9 fell apart real fast. But I thought it was funny that they formed a final 9, then decided to vote out Jonathan, and then Omar used Lydia being willing to vote out one of the new 8 as reason to turn on her. Modern Survivor is funny.

Tori talks to people like she’s doing them a favor explaining to them why they’re wrong.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Applebee's sucks poo poo at home but I'd be pretty excited about it too if I were them

it's fun to freak out and be excited and everyone knows your time to shine is during the applebees promo. On applebees day all my confessionals mention how much I eat applebees every day, how the bartenders all know me by name.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

STAC Goat posted:

I also assume that the knowledge/suspicion Mary Ann had an idol might have just kept her out of the question. Otherwise that 9 fell apart real fast. But I thought it was funny that they formed a final 9, then decided to vote out Jonathan, and then Omar used Lydia being willing to vote out one of the new 8 as reason to turn on her. Modern Survivor is funny.

no, lol

they formed a F8
Omar turned the rest of the 8 on Lydia
the 6 votes for Lydia were legit just that group -- everyone else was left on the outs completely.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

curiousCat posted:

no, lol

they formed a F8
Omar turned the rest of the 8 on Lydia
the 6 votes for Lydia were legit just that group -- everyone else was left on the outs completely.

The 8 was theoretically 9 because they talked about including Rocks. I actually assumed “the 8” they were talking about was sans Jonathan. But Rocks ended up voting for Lindsey for some reason so I’m just assuming in the scrambling chaos the 8 didn’t think it was worth cluing him in as they debated turning on one of themselves.

The key thing to me still seems to be that Mary Ann wasn’t in the 8. So her not being more of a target I assume was because of fear she had an idol. So then Romeo was able to push some of them to Jonathan and Omar was able to shift them to Lydia. It’s just funny that he used Lydia willing to vote out Jonathan as a pretense when they were just guilty of the same any way. But that’s modern survivor “alliances”.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Maryann seems like a very sweet person but I would absolutely lose my poo poo if I had to be around her all the time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

The 8 was theoretically 9 because they talked about including Rocks. I actually assumed “the 8” they were talking about was sans Jonathan. But Rocks ended up voting for Lindsey for some reason so I’m just assuming in the scrambling chaos the 8 didn’t think it was worth cluing him in as they debated turning on one of themselves.

The key thing to me still seems to be that Mary Ann wasn’t in the 8. So her not being more of a target I assume was because of fear she had an idol. So then Romeo was able to push some of them to Jonathan and Omar was able to shift them to Lydia. It’s just funny that he used Lydia willing to vote out Jonathan as a pretense when they were just guilty of the same any way. But that’s modern survivor “alliances”.

Maryanne isn't in the 8, yeah. It was supposedly Omar/Jonathan/Lindsay, Mike/Hai/Lydia, and Drea/Rocksroy. Romeo, Tori, Chanelle and Maryanne were out of the group.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It more or less already happened, but 8 is an unmanageable number. 7-4 seems similarly unstable. Prediction for next week: Omar vs. Hai blows it up and crystallizes more stable alliances. Drea lays low and flips later on to take control of the game.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I can't believe Chanelle didn't tell Omar he was about to lose his vote. The worst Shipwheel Island partner.
Just so stupid. She makes the dumbest gamble and then a total snub afterward, I guess she didn't want to own up to it but come on... at least try

She could be like "oh man, crazy story... I don't know what i was thinking but with that mistake i went from being in the swing position to total chaos. We had a really nice bond though, i hope we can pick back up from where we left off." But I can see how it's like, calling up past partners and telling them you have herpes or somethnig, which I guess is probably not fun

Also was funny when a group of people was like, oh last time Chanelle walked up we all quickly dispersed, we can't do that again this time. So she comes in and someone says "Hey Chanelle, whats up. You know, so-and-so was saying how they really like you, we should work with you," and she's like: "..."
"..."
"..."
group: "welp!" (disperses)

STAC Goat posted:

Maybe he, much like the fantasy game guy, confused Lydia and Lyndsey

ApplesandOranges posted:

Maryanne isn't in the 8, yeah. It was supposedly Omar/Jonathan/Lindsay, Mike/Hai/Lydia, and Drea/Rocksroy. Romeo, Tori, Chanelle and Maryanne were out of the group.
I was surprised Drea vouched for Rocksroy and not Romeo. Premerge it seemed like she and Romeo were good, and she had been trying to get rid of Rocks a few times.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 15, 2022

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Kazak_Hstan posted:

It more or less already happened, but 8 is an unmanageable number. 7-4 seems similarly unstable. Prediction for next week: Omar vs. Hai blows it up and crystallizes more stable alliances.
I could see that, but I could also see a couple boring eps where they just knock out Tori and Chanelle. Possibly an extra bonus to saving Maryanne last vote is that there's now a few targets ahead of her.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 15, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah, I only mention Mary Anne because Jonathan listed targets as Tori, Channelle, and Mary Anne. So when the vote came down to Jonathan, Mary Anne, Lydia, Hai, and Drea it would seem like the 8 would all collectively agree to vote out Mary Anne instead of one of them, or at least Jonathan would push that. Since they moved to Jonathan and then Lydia I assume they were just all scared of Mary Anne using an idol. Although the Omar/Lydia conversation seemed like "Mary Anne or Jonathan?" was at least a debate.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
https://twitter.com/lydia_meredith/status/1515050788292243458

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

How's that for owning the nickname your high school bullies gave you

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Also Tori's the worst.

She really is, Chanelle is right there though.

This is a fun group, I love how Rocks finally found inner peace on exile. So many masterminds (I see Omar and Hai teaming up against Romeo and then turning on each other later). Drea is my fav to win with that side eye. I like the Mike/Jonathan relationship. I think as soon as Maryanne feels actually vulnerable she’s gonna go insane and burn the place down.

I think Hai letting Lydia go was a master play, he would have had that tight duo target and she was not an immunity threat so she’d always be on the chopping block.

It is funny that the alliance of 8 lasted maybe 10 minutes.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

quote:

Survivor 42: ITS GOOD, ITS BIG, ITS APPLEBEES

Mods? We need this.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Jonathan is the only survivor I've actually cared about in the past few seasons.
He seems like the kind of guy you could go out drinking with, and at the end of the night he would carry your drunk rear end home, feed your dog, then come over the next morning and fry up a bunch of eggs and bacon.
Just seems like a cool dude, I'll be sad when he inevitably gets voted off.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

that was entertaining as hell, this is a good rear end cast and a good season

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Jonathan is the only survivor I've actually cared about in the past few seasons.
He seems like the kind of guy you could go out drinking with, and at the end of the night he would carry your drunk rear end home, feed your dog, then come over the next morning and fry up a bunch of eggs and bacon.

At least you know he'll be back like 5 times in the future.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Big Taint posted:

It is funny that the alliance of 8 lasted maybe 10 minutes.
To be fair to the big alliance, the people not in it were Chanelle and Romeo who became immune after time travel, Tori who won individual immunity, and Maryanne who had an idol. So literally no good options.

Nice play by Omer as the one sort of option, his former tribe mate Maryanne, could have ended up idoling out another former tribe mate in Jonathan, but he found a way to keep them both safe and the idol in the game. Nice by Jonathan also in having multiple people willing to vote Lydia over him.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Isn't his dad like a super conservative congressperson and isn't he super duper religious - like, goes on missions

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

His dad is running for governor of AL, Dean Young.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
everyone's dad sucks and is conservative, he's not necessarily the same thing but i'm also not willing to bet on it since all i know about him is Strong, Friendly, eats a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Studio posted:

Isn't his dad like a super conservative congressperson and isn't he super duper religious - like, goes on missions

no please don’t ruin this :ohdear: