Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

There's a fun thread in GBS about an ill individual who is suing the Somethingawful forums.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3999483

Just go right to page 3

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

new rule: if you find out SA is being sued, please tell me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Kalli posted:

There's a fun thread in GBS about an ill individual who is suing the Somethingawful forums.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3999483

Just go right to page 3

On one hand it's funny, but on the other the guy is literally a paranoid schizophrenic

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...2_story.html%22

quote:

"When you called, I thought he was dead," James Crawford of Morris, Ill., said into his phone after seeing a number he didn't recognize. "And that they had found him somewhere."

Crawford had been that way with just about every call since November, when his son, Matthew, a 28-year-old with paranoid schizophrenia, vanished into the homeless communities of Chicago, leaving behind a family that was still having trouble comprehending what happened. Not that long ago he had been a biochemist, chasing down jobs, and now he was homeless?

It started three years ago, after he began work at Argonne National Laboratory and was living on his own in Chicago, when he started telling "fantastic stories," recalled his mother, Wendy Agema. "The world was coming to an end, and he was going to bring it back," she said. "People were listening everywhere. They're listening to your conversations. There are cameras everywhere."

As the son they knew receded, and a persecuted, isolated man they didn't recognize emerged, they involuntarily hospitalized him and persuaded him to take antipsychotic medication. For two years, he stayed on it, until he suddenly stopped last summer, convinced he didn't need medication, and became homeless.

The last time they saw Matthew was around Thanksgiving, when he unexpectedly came home. "He didn't understand that living on the streets was not a good thing," Agema said. "He said he had never been happier."

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 14, 2022

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

It’s very funny that Jeff had no clue it was happening

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

but these are all features

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hot Diggity! posted:

On one hand it's funny, but on the other the guy is literally a paranoid schizophrenic

Yeah, he produced something very funny, but the dude is clearly ill and I wish this country had available help for people with his problems.

So messed up he can't find pictures of retarded soldiers on google. Sad.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Nov 6, 2002

Did they figure out his username?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Yeah it's in the evidence

pentyne posted:

The evidence

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, he included screenshots of his many many probations in FYAD and YOSPOS

ErrorInvalidUser, Beyond ReTarTed and j o y c e

Nov 6, 2002

Helluva new avatar here:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

back to elon

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1514635209005842441

lol

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I suppose a judge is about to have a lot of fun with all of that.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Helluva new avatar here:

Gangtag fodder, imo

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Man... man

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So wait... why is he suing? Is he mad he got banned?

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Helluva new avatar here:

Elon?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Sending in the National Guard to protect me from bullying while I post

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

seiferguy posted:

So wait... why is he suing? Is he mad he got banned?

Because he's extremely mentally ill.

Also:

Pretty sure the lawsuit was already dismissed too

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That's news on the font sizes

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Day 3 Blizzard update. Snow seems to have stopped. Wind still blowing. A plow came through my street and made a one lane path that's basically cut in a 6 foot snow drift.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

With that much snow, I hope nobody lost power, because man

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I enjoy how when you click on the link for the DDOS information, there is no info there

Edit: I guess they realized it was broken and deleted it

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 14, 2022

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

drat wandler glad your (mom's?) windows are holding up with how high that snow is.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

https://twitter.com/NWSWPC/status/1514663118185504776

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

just lol that the forums survived the Great Lowtax Meltdown only to be turned to ash by a random mentally ill dude with access to a botnet

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I am dying laughing at the thought of asking my client if he is the one who nicknamed himself "Retarted"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Nevertheless, we posted

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Helluva new avatar here:

Write this on my tombstone

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Kalli posted:

With that much snow, I hope nobody lost power, because man

Not that I know of so far. Our area is all underground so that helps.

Dango Bango posted:

drat wandler glad your (mom's?) windows are holding up with how high that snow is.

These pics are all from my place. I don't think it puts much strain on them because my screen door isn't even showing stress.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't know why people think if elon musk took over twitter, it'd be doomed. Both spacex and tesla are wildly successful giant companies that have made musk hundreds of billions richer.

Not that I think it'd be good for twitter, or that I'd like the result, or anything like that. But he knows how to keep companies afloat, be a meme stock, attract investment, abuse the poo poo out of his employees, keep himself in the news, and otherwise do all the things that lead to business success in this modern hellworld.

If the major shareholders reject his buyout bid - which is probably what he actually expects - he says he'll dump his stock, twitter will experience a moderate and short-term dip in stock price as he does so, he'll have made some money and made some kind of point or something, and we'll all move on. If his bid is real (it may not be) and a majority of shareholders accept it, he says he's taking twitter private (he may not), and then he'll do whatever the gently caress he wants with it. Which will probably turn out to be, behind the scenes, not really all that much. He'll be constrained by his legal department and his appetite for flouting regulations will continue to just attract fines and lawsuits (that he can trivially afford) but not actually change the law.

Meanwhile he's still implementing a global satellite internet company, providing by far the cheapest ticket to get cargo into space, and still dominating the electric car market. We'll continue to hate his guts and he'll continue to be an unfathomably rich troll.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
It's disrespectfully cold for April in Seattle right now and I am big mad about it. Also thanks for the support! I'm pretty sure I'm the preferred candidate but it's one of those things where I get nervous.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Freaquency posted:

What the hell is day fire

Also lol 9am brunch

A fire during the daytime I guess, I’m just not sure why he specified “day” and then suggested an evening hour for it lol

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Is the assumption you're passed back out from noon to 3PM on that schedule?

Nah, we’re planning on hiking or going for a bike ride even though it’s gonna be like 40 and probably windy as gently caress

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Leperflesh posted:

I don't know why people think if elon musk took over twitter, it'd be doomed. Both spacex and tesla are wildly successful giant companies that have made musk hundreds of billions richer.

Not that I think it'd be good for twitter, or that I'd like the result, or anything like that. But he knows how to keep companies afloat, be a meme stock, attract investment, abuse the poo poo out of his employees, keep himself in the news, and otherwise do all the things that lead to business success in this modern hellworld.

If the major shareholders reject his buyout bid - which is probably what he actually expects - he says he'll dump his stock, twitter will experience a moderate and short-term dip in stock price as he does so, he'll have made some money and made some kind of point or something, and we'll all move on. If his bid is real (it may not be) and a majority of shareholders accept it, he says he's taking twitter private (he may not), and then he'll do whatever the gently caress he wants with it. Which will probably turn out to be, behind the scenes, not really all that much. He'll be constrained by his legal department and his appetite for flouting regulations will continue to just attract fines and lawsuits (that he can trivially afford) but not actually change the law.

Meanwhile he's still implementing a global satellite internet company, providing by far the cheapest ticket to get cargo into space, and still dominating the electric car market. We'll continue to hate his guts and he'll continue to be an unfathomably rich troll.

SpaceX and Tesla are him writing Rocket Ship and Electric Car on a white board, pointing to it, and letting a whole lot of smarter people than him make design decisions and get things done. There are scientists and engineers doing experiments, making prototypes, and (presumably) trying to make a decent product. He makes decisions, but he can't reverse the laws of physics, mechanics, chemistry, etc. that ultimately determine what can and cannot be done.

Twitter would allow him (an egomaniac who is absolutely losing his mind to make people like him) to make much more subjective judgement calls on what is or is not allowed to be posted for the world to see. That means someone like, say, Donald Trump suddenly having access to the platform again because he stokes Musk's ego a bit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

SpaceX and Tesla are him writing Rocket Ship and Electric Car on a white board, pointing to it, and letting a whole lot of smarter people than him make design decisions and get things done. There are scientists and engineers doing experiments, making prototypes, and (presumably) trying to make a decent product. He makes decisions, but he can't reverse the laws of physics, mechanics, chemistry, etc. that ultimately determine what can and cannot be done.

Nah. He's infamously a micromanager. Granted he is not an engineer, but he's intimately involved in every decision, to a fault. His talent (and it's a real one) is in aggressively attacking every process and component and system to see what can be cut.

This interview is rambling and long and annoying, but if you can tolerate it, you'll get to some points where he actually gets into his approach to engineering problems in the development of the new really big rocket, and it's a rare insight into what he actually brings to the table as a CEO. I've hopefully got this URL pointing to the segment starting around 6 minutes in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t705r8ICkRw&t=379s

e. at about 13:30, he uses a question about the grid fins not folding to get into the fundamentals of what he forces his engineers to do and it's genuinely insightful and broadly applicable.

quote:

Twitter would allow him to make much more subjective judgement calls on what is or is not allowed to be posted for the world to see. That means someone like, say, Donald Trump suddenly having access to the platform again because he stokes Musk's ego a bit.

Potentially, yes, although he might find himself at the helm of a huge organization he did not build himself, with a ton of institutional momentum and resistance to change. I'm sure he could do poo poo like get Trump his tweets back; I'm not sure he could (or would) radically change the platform. And I think Twitter (and other social media) have been under increasing congressional scrutiny and threat of regulation, which Musk's approach could actually trigger rather than mitigate.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 14, 2022

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I don't want Elon running twitter because I've seen his posts and they are bad.

420 epic bacon

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well yeah I mean if I wasn't clear, I don't like this man and I think he's bad and I don't want him running Twitter. Or anything. He should be in jail, if martha stewart had to go to jail for a little insider trading musk absolutely should have been jailed for massive public pump-and-dump stock manipulation poo poo.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Hmmmmm... :thunk:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1514663919356370952?t=0nh7m12jptUPBELurF2wtw&s=19

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Tulalip Tulips posted:

It's disrespectfully cold for April in Seattle right now and I am big mad about it. Also thanks for the support! I'm pretty sure I'm the preferred candidate but it's one of those things where I get nervous.

It was 70 exactly a week ago loving Puget Sound springs I hate em

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This sounds to me like an awareness of obstacles, rather than waffling on intent. He's making an offer, it could be refused; he wants to bring along the maximum number of (nonpublic) investors, that might not happen; there could be regulatory obstacles, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Oh my but I do appreciate a timely photoshop