Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tesh posted:

If I'm looking to play Majora's Mask for the first time, should I start with the 3DS version or Switch Online port?

if you have a hacked 3DS, there's a very very good fan patch https://restoration.zora.re/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Tesh posted:

If I'm looking to play Majora's Mask for the first time, should I start with the 3DS version or Switch Online port?

Either is fine. 3D adds a ton of very useful QOL stuff like being able to song of double time to a specific point in the day and it obviously runs a lot better/looks nicer, but it also changes the bosses and a handful of mechanics in a weird way that are at best a wash and at worse a clear downgrade from the original. Honestly, if you're already a member of NSO you might as well start with the original and if you find the rough edges to be a bit much, you can always swap over to the remake.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy poo poo.

I just learned that the warp whistle tune in Super Mario Bros 3 was reused for the theme to Ocarina of Time.

I've heard about musical connections before but drat, this one I missed.

Also, here's a video talking all about music connections between Mario and LoZ games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON2PDbmgzCw

Edit: oh, nevermind... It was also in Zelda 1. Duh.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Mario Golf tomorrow baaybee!

Oh and Force Unleashed or something too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo.

I just learned that the warp whistle tune in Super Mario Bros 3 was reused for the theme to Ocarina of Time.

I've heard about musical connections before but drat, this one I missed.

Also, here's a video talking all about music connections between Mario and LoZ games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON2PDbmgzCw

Edit: oh, nevermind... It was also in Zelda 1. Duh.

I thought the last one was a bit of a stretch with the Mario Party track tbh, but that was still a neat watch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Waffle! posted:

Mario Golf tomorrow baaybee!

Oh and Force Unleashed or something too.

I thought Mario Golf came out today? I'm not near my Switch to check.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fantasy 7's remake owned

This

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Deakul posted:

I don't like to beat bad guys I like to make them my friends.

Play Kirby Star Allies ya'll.

What the Hii~ is up, motherpoyo?! :hfive:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1514640865666293760?t=2SXEGg_0-z_TuTQSFT2cFw&s=09

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I thought Mario Golf came out today? I'm not near my Switch to check.

The app says in 8 hours or so. Even better, because I can play after work!

e: \/ Dope

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 14, 2022

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Morter posted:

What the Hii~ is up, motherpoyo?! :hfive:

:respek:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
turns out Herzog Zwei is really loving good

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

There used to be an RTS sort of like Warcraft that I played on gameboy color a long rear end time ago and I forget what it's called and really wish they would put whatever it was on Switch so I can see if its as good as I remember

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Mech Platoon on the GBA was my first proper RTS and I remember loving it but I refuse to look up any video in case it’s actually bad

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

dr.acula posted:

There used to be an RTS sort of like Warcraft that I played on gameboy color a long rear end time ago and I forget what it's called and really wish they would put whatever it was on Switch so I can see if its as good as I remember

Warlocked. I had that game too and it owned.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

It’s also super interesting for me to return to these games that I thought of as the pinnacle of gaming when I played them as a middle schooler. Actually over the past 16-17 months while my wife was pregnant and now that our son is here, I’ve found myself gravitating toward games more in line with what I enjoyed 20ish years ago. Same with music and movies. I don’t know if this happens to everyone in their mid 30s or if this is a thing brought on by having a kid. I’m enjoying it though! Since my son was born in September 2021, I’ve played to (to various degrees of completion) FF Tactics, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and now FF9.

In my case it's a couple of pragmatic reasons. First, I never played these when I was younger, but I have gone back to SNES/N64 ports pretty frequently. Like you said, games from then are rather short, so you can complete them despite having less time. Also their cheaper, and dropping 20-30 bucks on a game (old or not) feels easier than 60 when you have other obligations. I don't know about music and movies, but I have noticed people tend to cement their taste at around their early 20's unless they make a conscious effort to branch out.

Keeping up with music is very time-consuming, so it's easier, especially if you have a big library to just stop.

Lastly, it's easier to like the "things from the past" because the ones that stay with us tend to be the good ones. Buying new things you'll run into all the bad stuff as it comes out, when the past bad things are pretty much forgotten already.

Tesh posted:

Original. The 3DS one is good for a lot of reasons, and the boss changes aren't like catastrophic, but the OG one is better for it. Plus, it's more convenient (cheaper too! Unless you don't have the Expansion pass already).

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
What are your favorite cute games for Nintendo switch

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

endocriminologist posted:

yoshis crafted world

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

a short hike + donut country

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Kirby and the Forgotten Land

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Yoku's Island Adventure

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

dr.acula posted:

It's Warlocked and yes it fuckin rules, look at this happy little sound test goblin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D0s7mTNW60

It was published by Nintendo themselves but the developer Bits Studios are long gone. Shame because that is quite an extensive list of tie-in/licenced games they're involved with, of a type you don't really get any more.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kirby FW and Legend of Mana are currently at the top of my "cutest games" list for Switch.

There's also a weird indie game that's about defeating cute enemies with kisses, which is rather far out there, in my opinion. That would probably rank pretty high on the cuteness-list too, if I could get over how weird it is to constantly kiss people non-stop.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Libluini posted:

There's also a weird indie game that's about defeating cute enemies with kisses, which is rather far out there, in my opinion. That would probably rank pretty high on the cuteness-list too, if I could get over how weird it is to constantly kiss people non-stop.

Chulip? Or is this a genre now?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

As someone new to Nintendo(except SNES era) what are some good franchises to play, I just started playing Super Mario Odyssey and I can't believe I hadn't played these games for so long. Only modern franchises I have played at all is Pokemon and Fire Emblem mainly because I had Gba/ds/3ds.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Phoenotopia: Awakening, as that's what my av is from.

I see the Digital Deluxe version of SMT5 is on sale for the same price as the base game (which isn't on sale, of course). Are the DD extras any good? I'm not in a rush to buy SMT5 but if the extras are actually good I may bite on it since I've got a weekend just begging for a binge game coming up.

I'm also curious about impressions for Rain World and Moonlighter. I've heard a lot of people say Moonlighter is pretty meh, but it and its expansion are around five bucks right now so might as well see if I'm missing anything there.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ulio posted:

As someone new to Nintendo(except SNES era) what are some good franchises to play, I just started playing Super Mario Odyssey and I can't believe I hadn't played these games for so long. Only modern franchises I have played at all is Pokemon and Fire Emblem mainly because I had Gba/ds/3ds.

All of them.

It depends a lot on what genres you like, but honestly it's hard to go wrong with most Nintendo-developed games. There's a couple of stinkers here and there, and there may be a few that don't appeal to you, but generally you won't be disappointed with what you grab.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Blossom Tales
Gato Roboto?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Ulio posted:

Super Mario 3D World / Bowser's Fury is incredible. If you can get your hands on it, the 3D All Stars game has Mario Galaxy which is one of my favorites from the Wii era.

Breath of the Wild is amazing but it did take me several years to actually get into it and now I'm on a grand adventure.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ulio posted:

New franchises? Pikmin 3 is very cool and good. Splatoon is an excellent shooter and the 3rd's coming soon. You can't go wrong with the hits.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Smirking_Serpent posted:

speaking of kirby how does the new game compare with return to dream land? (last console title i played)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Ulio posted:

Mario kart

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

yoshis crafted world

Foul Fowl posted:

a short hike + donut country

Smirking_Serpent posted:

External Organs posted:

Yoku's Island Adventure

Goddamn 4 good posts in a row. That's never happened on this site. Ever

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Saying a post about hidden GBC gem Warlocked isn't a good post smh

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

euroshopper posted:

speaking of kirby how does the new game compare with return to dream land? (last console title i played)

If you liked Return to Dreamland, you'll probably love Forgotten World. Some changes:

Abilities are scaled way back. There aren't as many and they don't have big movelists, but they can be evolved into new forms which are very cool and give a good feeling of progress.

It's far more exploration-focused. Stages are still fairly linear but individual segments are wide open with lots of secrets to find. They really took advantage of the move from 2.5D to full 3D.

If you enjoyed how nuts Return to Dreamland got in the endgame then you should know Forgotten World gets about 10000% more wild than that.

It's not super long, or particularly difficult unless you're a completionist (as with all Kirby titles) but is a certified Great Game (as with all Kirby titles).

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

jackhunter64 posted:

It's Warlocked and yes it fuckin rules, look at this happy little sound test goblin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D0s7mTNW60

It was published by Nintendo themselves but the developer Bits Studios are long gone. Shame because that is quite an extensive list of tie-in/licenced games they're involved with, of a type you don't really get any more.

i thought this game was the coolest fuckin thing as a kid. The building sprites for the orcs(?) were rad as hell spiderskulls iirc

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Mega64 posted:

Saying a post about hidden GBC gem Warlocked isn't a good post smh

I'll take it as it was not a post about a favourite cute game for Nintendo switch. Yet.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
What are other good kirby games with ability movesets, besides Star Allies and Smash (becase I have them both)?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Super Star or any of the modern mainline games starting from Returns to Dreamland have fleshed out movesets per ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's a free2play Kirby game on the Switch that focuses on cool fighting moves and boss battles and stuff. Obviously it's pretty thin but it might scratch an itch.