Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A 51-year-old Toronto woman has requested medical assistance in dying after being unable to find safe, affordable housing. She was euthanized on February 22.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Chamale posted:

A 51-year-old Toronto woman has requested medical assistance in dying after being unable to find safe, affordable housing. She was euthanized on February 22.

The kind of news which might cause some people to completely lose their poo poo. :hmmyes:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

maybe our deputy prime minister could have helped her out.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

quote:

Sophia’s apartment was run by the Salvation Army of Canada. According to letters provided to CTV News, Sophia wrote to officials in all levels of government, the apartment was renovated to allow her to live in her bedroom, with the vents sealed to keep smoke from coming in. However, she said the landlord refused other accommodations to supplement the room with heating and air-conditioning.

“My landlord does not believe anything is wrong with me, and refuses to do anything else to help me with regards (to) making this apartment safe for me to live. I have given up hope and have applied for — and now qualify for — MAID,” she wrote.

In an email to CTV News, the Salvation Army said it was “deeply saddened upon hearing of the passing of a former resident at one of our Grace Communities residential apartments. We send our heartfelt condolences and prayers to the family, friends and loved ones at this time.”

When asked about specific allegations Sophia made about her living situation and lack of accommodations, Salvation Army spokesperson Caroline Knight responded: "Thank you for the opportunity to comment – we have nothing further to add."

Lol the salvation Army is loving scum (not actually a lol)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Dreylad posted:

maybe our deputy prime minister could have helped her out.

does a date of march 2 mean she bought the property a week after russia invaded?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

vyelkin posted:

Leaving aside the dumb economist optimism, this talking point is also probably just wrong. I can't find the article now but I read a piece a couple of months ago about how people just lie on polls because even if they know the factual answer to a question like "is unemployment up or down since last year", they interpret it as a partisan question and answer in a partisan way. Public opinion researchers have discovered that if you pay people for correct answers on polls, most people know the correct answer to those kinds of factual questions, but when polled on it they choose to answer incorrectly because it's a signifier of how well they think the politicians in charge are doing.

Not surprised, really. Pity we don't have good longitudinal data about how this might have changed over time. I have friends who are loved by telephone pollsters and have been deliberately poisoning the well whenever they can. Their answers vary depending on who they guess is behind the poll, based on how the questions are presented. I don't think fast enough to take my rage out on the machine like that so I just tell them to gently caress off and hang up.

And yes, I know there are techniques/questions to help correct that. So do my friends.

On an unrelated topic, heard today that DoFo's government not only canned code requirements for EV charging capability in new construction, but has also ripped out existing EV chargers. :lol:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ah yes, the famously trustworthy unemployment statistic.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Hexigrammus posted:

On an unrelated topic, heard today that DoFo's government not only canned code requirements for EV charging capability in new construction, but has also ripped out existing EV chargers. :lol:

they're in league with the wind turbines and must be purged.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
These economists are just so close to realizing it's about middle class collapse, and yet so far

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Danaru posted:

Lol the salvation Army is loving scum (not actually a lol)
hosed up the doctors did not prescribe a fist to the face of the landlord.

Try the landlord for manslaughter imo.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hexigrammus posted:

Thank god. Skyrocketing price of oil is supposed to deter drivers rather than shift them into even heavier and more destructive devices

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBreachMedia/status/1514681657630072832

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/MaritimerinE/status/1514675804462104581

sure just cross out the maple leaf

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Playoffs are starting so it's nice to see Ottawa cops hopping on the Leafs bandwagon. Go Leafs Go!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

there isn't even a line on the canadian flag to color blue, they just slapped a random rear end line on it without understanding why the american version of it works (even if it's stupid)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

BattleMaster posted:

there isn't even a line on the canadian flag to color blue, they just slapped a random rear end line on it without understanding why the american version of it works (even if it's stupid)

tracing the maple leaf with a blue sharpie is hard ok

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Chamale posted:

this is one of the most depreesing thinigs ive read

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The message is clear at least.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Chamale posted:

Ah, the bright future I have to look forward to with my disease.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/pccaucus/status/1514306795568775178?s=21&t=VcT2QjZZKSZv_5WNzrDSVg

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

I've been working without a contract since 2016 and the government has done everything to gently caress with our working conditions and wages but sure PC government. Sure.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

this isn't fun any more. the lows are so low.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

Leaving aside the dumb economist optimism, this talking point is also probably just wrong. I can't find the article now but I read a piece a couple of months ago about how people just lie on polls because even if they know the factual answer to a question like "is unemployment up or down since last year", they interpret it as a partisan question and answer in a partisan way. Public opinion researchers have discovered that if you pay people for correct answers on polls, most people know the correct answer to those kinds of factual questions, but when polled on it they choose to answer incorrectly because it's a signifier of how well they think the politicians in charge are doing.

expressive responding

it's still unclear how much of a phenomenon this really is, but it's another piece of the big picture of "poll responses have an awkward relationship to reality"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

expressive responding

it's still unclear how much of a phenomenon this really is, but it's another piece of the big picture of "poll responses have an awkward relationship to reality"

I found the article because somebody else asked for it, so feel free to check out the sources if you like: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/27/no-america-is-not-on-the-cusp-of-a-civil-war

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

I found the article because somebody else asked for it, so feel free to check out the sources if you like: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/27/no-america-is-not-on-the-cusp-of-a-civil-war

Yeah the links in that piece are quite useful. I forget if it's linked in that piece, but another principle to keep in mind is that people generally don't believe the poo poo they share on facebook. They just share whatever seems like does a good job of owning the other guys, and they don't care about the truth. This truth not-caringness is fairly evenly bipartisan, but since liberalism/the democratic party cares deeply about facts (and the fact that conservatives/republicans do so much cartoonishly evil stuff) you get a partisan divide in the factual accuracy of stuff that gets shared.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:19 on Oct 29, 2022

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:19 on Oct 29, 2022

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
If she's got the gently caress THE WORLD coat, Stefanson must have the PISSF*****T one in a closet somewhere.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Canadian pilots jailed in Dominican Republic after reporting huge cocaine stash on plane

quote:

A Canadian charter airline says its pilots and flight attendants are being imprisoned in dangerous, inhumane conditions in the Dominican Republic after reporting to police what turned out to be 200 kilograms of cocaine stashed inside their plane.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Is that real fur? That's real fur, isn't it?

Please tell me the RCMP have been involved in training Dominican police in the past. What's Spanish for "That's some real fine police work there, Lou"?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/ptsdservicedog/status/1514758016402345985

I guess that's why Coyne never smiles on television.

( I don't know of that's his service dog or just a big fan)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
so has anyone noticed that this year the rcmp seems way more willing to shut down roads and highways before major weather events even happen? the perimeter around winnipeg has been shut down a poo poo ton and i don’t remember that happening ever before. maybe has something to do that hospitals are absolutely hosed and they can’t afford any major car accidents?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Theyre probably just sick of winter and don't want to stand around in poo poo weather because some moron jackknifed their truck again.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
This winter has been insane though. I've never seen this many blizzards and crazy blowing snow days.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Karach posted:

This winter has been insane though. I've never seen this many blizzards and crazy blowing snow days.

Yeah it's been a long, brutal winter this year.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://twitter.com/David_Moscrop/status/1514777836665520132?t=1w2vKqYIVAxJhpHeWWSikw&s=19

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
doesn't that dude also believe climate change can be overcome through public outcry lmao

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Getting Conservatives to hate Trudeau in Alberta is like shooting fish in a barrel. I'm not impressed.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Sold my tractor and snowblower after four years of bullshit winters with hardly any snow. It was an ancient Case 1070, the transmission wouldn't go into reverse any more, and disassembling it would have required a crane or forklift to lift the cab off, so I said gently caress it, might as well get some cash for it while it still runs. A little gas snowblower with a dinky princess auto motor strapped to it should be fine! It'll be rough, I thought, but a little hard work never hurt anybody.

Welp

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Karach posted:

I'm at the point right now where I can't tell if I'm suffering crippling depression because I'm working retail during a pandemic while thinking about the fact that if we do back away from being the closest we've come to world war 3 in my lifetime that I'm going to get to watch climate change destroy us all anyway, or if it's just because we're at the tail end of the worst winter in living memory and it just won't gently caress off.