Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hanyolo posted:

There has been a lull in new first party games, which I guess is usual for this time of year. What even is the next big release coming?

Edit: a quick google seems to Indicate Stalker2 / Redfall?

i mean Halo just came out 6 months ago and isn't the new Forza supposed to be out this year too. all first party games except for Nintendo are live services now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

hanyolo posted:

There has been a lull in new first party games, which I guess is usual for this time of year. What even is the next big release coming?

Edit: a quick google seems to Indicate Stalker2 / Redfall?
Next real biggies are probably gonna be Saints Row in August, Gotham Knights in October, Starfield in November, whatever tainted form the next COD takes around that same time, and STALKER 2 in December (war pending).

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

The elden ring thread is AIDS, it's all full of people telling you to use the wiki and stuff.

I tried to read it but yeah, it’s this plus people turning frustration at dying into book length screeds about game design they know nothing about.

Anyway Xbox ftw, but every hero needs a good villain and Sony ain’t cutting it right now. Hope they get better soon…

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Anyway a real post: does anybody every experience the series x booting up in 640x480 with no option to change back? It happens to me occasionally, maybe once a month but sometimes often in a short period. It doesn't give me the option to change back (like it doesn't recognize that I have a 4k tv). Sometimes restarting the console works but usually I have to unplug and then replug the hdmi from both ends and then restart the box.

It seems similar to something like a safe boot mode for troubleshoot / tech support but doesn't say anything obvious like that, just looks like poo poo on my lg c1. I've tried different ports and hdmi cables (even bought a brand new one) to be sure it wasn't the tv port or cable issue, even tried a few monitors, but no luck. Googling gave a couple of setting suggestions to reduce the frequency for both the tv and the console, or stuff like keeping the tv on for a few minutes before starting up the console but none of those seem to work reliably. Anybody know what the heck this is about?

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 14, 2022

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Have you done a full system restore? That's very strange behavior.

If it keeps happening I would reach out to Microsoft about it. My first thought was an HDMI handshake issue but if it's a kind of safe mode then it could be a hardware problem of some kind.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Zerot posted:

Have you done a full system restore? That's very strange behavior.

If it keeps happening I would reach out to Microsoft about it. My first thought was an HDMI handshake issue but if it's a kind of safe mode then it could be a hardware problem of some kind.

I haven't yet because I was exhausting every option to make sure it wasn't the console but I will probably do it this weekend. Apparently (hearsay) you aren't ever supposed to see this resolution unless you do the safe start by pressing some combination of physical buttons on the console for a few seconds so it may just be a defective unit. what's weird is I didn't see this poo poo for over a year with this tv (until like last november?) so maybe an update somewhere hosed up at some point and a restore may work

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Sleng Teng posted:

Anyway a real post: does anybody every experience the series x booting up in 640x480 with no option to change back? It happens to me occasionally, maybe once a month but sometimes often in a short period. It doesn't give me the option to change back (like it doesn't recognize that I have a 4k tv). Sometimes restarting the console works but usually I have to unplug and then replug the hdmi from both ends and then restart the box.

It seems similar to something like a safe boot mode for troubleshoot / tech support but doesn't say anything obvious like that, just looks like poo poo on my lg c1. I've tried different ports and hdmi cables (even bought a brand new one) to be sure it wasn't the tv port or cable issue, even tried a few monitors, but no luck. Googling gave a couple of setting suggestions to reduce the frequency for both the tv and the console, or stuff like keeping the tv on for a few minutes before starting up the console but none of those seem to work reliably. Anybody know what the heck this is about?

My LG CX does this sometimes, it seems to be a tv issue for me, not an xbox issue. It can happen when switching inputs, but it's relatively rare. A tv restart always fixes it.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

My LG CX does this sometimes, it seems to be a tv issue for me, not an xbox issue. It can happen when switching inputs, but it's relatively rare. A tv restart always fixes it.

that's the other thing I saw, that the issue is pretty heavily skewed towards lg tvs. do you mean a factory reset?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Sleng Teng posted:

that's the other thing I saw, that the issue is pretty heavily skewed towards lg tvs. do you mean a factory reset?

No just turning it off and on, with the power button on the remote.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Oh. Nope that doesn't work for me at all lol, maybe my console really is screwed up

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

My google TV will sometimes not output sound from any source until i unplug it and plug it back in. Weird software bugs are more and more common due to all the spyware and bloatware, i guess.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

sponges posted:

How’s GoW Tactics? I love a good Srpg but. I’m assuming it’s dumbed down and lovely

Was surprisingly good. Setting up Overwatch kill cones was pretty satisfying, unlimited grenades, and a lil bit of loot were all neat ideas.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I used a lady with the perks that lets you huck grenades constantly to solo carry me through most of GoW Tactics, so don't do that if you want a challenge. But it was still fun.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The two big releases left this year are Stalker 2 (probably being delayed again) and Starfield. Starfield is a game we’ve seen 18 seconds of footage so I’m going to guess it’s also going to be delayed.

Therefore making Elden Ring Goty

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

there’s no reality where ER is GOTY…

Unless from release Bloodborne 2…

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Sleng Teng posted:

Oh. Nope that doesn't work for me at all lol, maybe my console really is screwed up

If it's not already, make sure your console in 'Power Saving' mode so that it's actually turning off when you're rebooting it, and not just sleeping.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic

Quantum of Phallus posted:

there’s no reality where ER is GOTY…

Unless from release Bloodborne 2…

Elden Ring and Tunic will take home 90+% of GOTY awards for 2022.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Kirby is legitimately amazing but sadly it will just be relegated to taking home the "best family game" award.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1514646107434987532

:gonk:

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

they apparently got undercut by Microsoft a bunch, not because they got out-negotiated, but because they just let a bunch of hardware contracts expire.

Could you elaborate on this, please? It sounds interesting but I'm not sure where to start looking.

Sleng Teng posted:

Anyway a real post: does anybody every experience the series x booting up in 640x480 with no option to change back?

This happens to me too, on my LG CX. Rebooting the system has always taken care of it in one shot, but it's been happening more now that I'm using power saving mode I think. I assumed it was some kind of HDMI 2.1 handshake issue or something like that, I'm not an AV guy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Just picked up my 5 dollar copy of Cyberpunk at Best Buy today and the guy helping me out was like "I wish I had waited until it was 5 dollars." lol

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

sponges posted:

How’s GoW Tactics? I love a good Srpg but. I’m assuming it’s dumbed down and lovely

GOW Tactics was the first game I played when I got the game pass. I really liked it. I love xcom and it's the only "xcom-like" that came close to scratching the same itch for me.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I ordered the 5 dollar Cyberpunk online and accidentally bought the PS4 version lol. I wonder if they’ll let me exchange it in store for the Xbox version or tell me to gently caress off cuz the sale is over and it’s back to being 39.99 or whatever

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpiderLink posted:

Could you elaborate on this, please? It sounds interesting but I'm not sure where to start looking.

it was a few months ago and frankly I dont remember if it was speculation or not, but Sony did recently lose a lot of hardware supply contracts- that's why Xboxes have been in such good supply lately, because Microsoft instantly snapped up the production. Iirc they were contracts that Sony has held for years and years, which is why people think it's negligence and not a business move

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I bought Cyberpunk back when it was $10 like a year ago and never went to pick it up so they ended up refunding it lol.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s good

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Gosh Xcom is straight JUNK

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I've got some new info on how long you need to be off GP Ultimate until the $1 trial offer reappears. It's 6 months after your previous Ultimate sub ended.

Until now I only had a more vague estimate and thought it'd take a couple of months longer, but now I know: On my main account the previous GPU sub ended 10/19/2021, and the $1 offer came back within the past day or two. So just a few days short of 6 months.

Zat fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 14, 2022

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

styls trill epic posted:

Ok, but the opposite of what you said.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

styls trill epic posted:

Take this opinion to the lovely elden rings thread.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

styls trill epic posted:

Wrong

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Hey guys - serious talk.
We're all getting a bit older and some of us don't have any snap left in our D-pads.
I found a solution for that. It turns out there's an inexpensive way to get in back in action.
All it takes is this one simple trick that big box stores hate.

I had one of my many controllers (grey/green) stop clicking on the up direction.
It turns out there is a little film with a type of switch underneath it which basically acts like a spring to pop and push your D-Pad back out.
These ARE replaceable.
Take apart the controller,
use a hair dryer to loosen the adhesive, remove it,
clean with high purity IPA and
replace with the new film. Poof. Back to good.

The best part is it's super cheap. I bought a bunch from China and I'm willing to share some with y'all. I want to say they cost something like 50 cents each shipped. So basically a buck each including shipping if you want one. PM me

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
i'd appreciate a way to make it so the d-pad isn't the loudest loving thing under god's hot sun

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Toaster Beef posted:

i'd appreciate a way to make it so the d-pad isn't the loudest loving thing under god's hot sun

These are the loudness of xbox one, not series controllers.
I'm going to repair my green/grey tonight so I could in theory make a video comparing them if anyone gives enough of a poo poo.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toaster Beef posted:

Works on my series X op

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Love how loud and clicky the D-pad is tbh

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

It owns so much.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

It really is great, until the sound is muted and I can only hear the clickity clackety of my controller and suddenly it dawns on me I am a man playing with a childs toy

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I took my headset off and I guess it does kind of click. I never noticed since I can actually hear the game I'm playing since I'm not 45.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

The clickiness is very satisfying imo but it's definitely loud as hell