Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Sounds reasonable, I wonder how the artist will depict this--

I read that, and my brain was like "oh-ooh, the origin of love."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Those Indian god comics remind me of Stardust the Space Wizard. Things just happen. There's conflict but then it's immediately cut down because this one guy is a supreme being in the literal sense. Would be extremely boring if it wasn't so bat-poo poo insane. (Goes for both.)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Those Indian god comics remind me of Stardust the Space Wizard. Things just happen. There's conflict but then it's immediately cut down because this one guy is a supreme being in the literal sense. Would be extremely boring if it wasn't so bat-poo poo insane. (Goes for both.)

Yeah, there's definitely a similarity. I wonder how much of that is in the original world literature classic and how much is because they are cutting stuff to tell the story and possibly show interesting art.

I did add a Penguin Mahabharata to my wishlist, since I'm curious how the actual work reads; the big battle as depicted in the comic version was page after page of the big players shooting arrows at each other, killing the chariot drivers and horses, and then retreating, with a few really vaguely defined celestial weapons thrown in. If you weren't a big name, and were just a normal soldier, you died effortlessly by the tens of thousands with no fanfare or reflection at all.

It's also unclear what some of the motivations are--like, Rama is the incarnation of Vishnu and cannot be defeated. Most everyone seems to know this on some level, just like with Krishna; but there's still some random king or rakshasha who thinks they can be a greedy dick and take whatever they want, ignoring dharma.

So when the hero, who effectively can't fail, eventually wins, it seems really undramatic from a modern sensibility, since the outcome wasn't ever in doubt, given Rama was born specifically to do the thing he ends up doing.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Sorry for double post but this was depicted in the Mahabharata comic but it wasn't convenient to capture; basically, my description of the battle is only mostly true, since there were moments like this as well:

"Jayadratha, who was hiding behind Duryodhana, is relieved that he was saved and comes out of the formation to mock Arjuna. Suddenly, the sun is free from the eclipse and Krishna tells Arjuna what he had to do then. He then points at the hiding Jayadratha, telling Arjuna to sever his head and shoot it into the lap of Jayadratha's father. Arjuna quickly shoots the Pashupatastra at Jayadratha, decapitating him. Jayadratha's head is taken with the arrow far from the battlefield, finally landing on the lap of his father, Vridhakshatra.[4]

His father had granted him a boon that whosoever will be responsible for his son's severed head falling onto the ground will have his head burst into 100 pieces. Therefore, when Vridhakshatra, horrified at having his son's head in his lap hurriedly got up, it fell to the ground, killing Vridhakshatra at the same moment."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well that ending is better than Stardust but not better than, say, a hundred Hanna Barbera comics.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Stardust needs a show, Nick Cage needs a Superman role

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

Stardust needs a show, Nick Cage needs a Superman role

It's a Gary Busey role.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I think that would actually be TOO scary.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's a Gary Busey role.

Nicolas Cage is Stardust, and Gary Busey is Fletcher Hanks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Nicolas Cage is Stardust, and Gary Busey is Fletcher Hanks.

OK but BuseyCage is also Fantomah. He's used to playing skeletors.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
X-Men Green continues to amuse (#30).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sensation Comics #14 (1943)

From Beyond the Unknown #18 (1972; reprints)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darthemed posted:

This reminds me that the famous "Papa spank!" panel was Batman saying it to Catwoman and while he never did, Alfred of all people ended up spanking her. I read the issue the other night. It was done off-panel or I would have posted it.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Elfface posted:

All who know fear burn at the touch.

All who know love have their quantum bands reinvigorated.

It's the fear of commitment that dooms Man-Thing to a solitary existence...

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Shadow Comics #8 (1942)

Superman #28 (1944)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #97 (1962)

The Defenders #62 (1978)

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

The Defenders #62 (1978)

Hulk being dragged into kitchen duty apparently happens a lot more than you would think.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 01, 1950)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #97 (1962)

The Defenders #62 (1978)

Ok I'll bite: What possible reason do the Kents have for dressing their baby up as a Superhero already, especially since they don't want him growing up entitled?

The spanking machine I get. Overly complicated solutions to dumb problems are a staple of the genre after all.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

evilmiera posted:

Ok I'll bite: What possible reason do the Kents have for dressing their baby up as a Superhero already, especially since they don't want him growing up entitled?

The spanking machine I get. Overly complicated solutions to dumb problems are a staple of the genre after all.

Punishing baby Superman was a common topic in the old books, I remember reading a few different stories about it in my dads old comics.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Gotta make sure you don't swap your Superbaby with another Superbaby.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

<Neighbor comes over and sees the giant spanking machine in the kitchen> You uh, having issues with the wife Jonathan?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kalli posted:

<Neighbor comes over and sees the giant spanking machine in the kitchen> You uh, having issues with the wife Jonathan?

"Jesus, Jonathan. Just punish your wife by withholding water from both her and Aquaman like normal people."

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

You gotta respect the craftsmanship, though, carved hands and all! This machine spanks

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

evilmiera posted:

How are you supposed to know he’s superbaby if he’s not in the costume

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Kalli posted:

"What? No! Heavens no!

Quite the opposite, in fact."

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

evilmiera posted:

Without the suit it just looks like plain old child abuse.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Detective Comics #9 (1937)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Baki Dou - Chapter 122

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Baki Dou - Chapter 122
"I fear not the man who would show his rear end in a top hat if it meant winning; I fear the man who would show his rear end in a top hat no matter what." -Bruce Lee.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Drakyn posted:

"I fear not the man who would show his rear end in a top hat if it meant winning; I fear the man who would show his rear end in a top hat no matter what." -Bruce Lee.

"Fear not the man who would who you ten thousand assholes one time; fear the man who would show you his rear end in a top hat ten thousand times."
- also Bruce Lee

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

These forums always come back, one way or another, to a man showing people his rear end in a top hat.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/danmaynardii/status/1515426222255357957?s=21&t=Tf0HKflSpBK11vv_UuO6AQ

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Shadow Comics #8 (1942)

Panic #6 (1954)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Darthemed posted:

Shadow Comics #8 (1942)

Panic #6 (1954)

This sounds like it removes your epidermis, not your hair.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Darthemed posted:

Panic #6 (1954)

4 for $36 but 10 for $120? :raise:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kwyndig posted:

This sounds like it removes your epidermis, not your hair.
:thejoke:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Boy, people really don't know Canadian geography. From Last Flight Out #6.

I guess maybe they're extremely fast horses?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe they're at Blue Mountain and the artist just exaggerated a teensy bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Defenders #62 (1978)