Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Wow! Great deal, thanks for sharing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I feel like we talked about this recently, but do altras tend to run narrow, normal, or wide?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Bloody posted:

I feel like we talked about this recently, but do altras tend to run narrow, normal, or wide?

I feel like the heel to middle of the shoe runs relatively normal to wide and the toe box is meant for a clown, comically roomy. They feel really great but if you have narrow/standard feet, they might be a little TOO roomy and not fit quite right. I just posted a week ago about the Topo shoes I picked up and they're very similar but not zero drop and slightly narrower. I still haven't had a chance to get out hiking yet but I'll report when I do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As a person with hilariously wide feet, like with some brands EE still isn't wide enough, the Altras actually feel lose in the toebox. I'm not sure if that's how a shoe is supposed to feel because I've been living with too-narrow shoes my whole life or if they're just too big to make sense.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

After years of wearing dress shoes for work, during COVID and WFH I was barefoot like 90% of the time so my toes spread out and I switched to Altras for everyday wear which now fit me great.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dick Burglar posted:

Where are you seeing those items on sale? I've got a membership and get promo emails, but I haven't seen an email about camping gear recently and online the cooler price still says $139. Edit: I just got an email advertising sales starting tomorrow and don't see the cooler or trekking poles listed.

Costco stuff is priced higher on the website because shipping is often included in the price. Shipping a giant rear end cooler can’t be cheap.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

charliebravo77 posted:

After years of wearing dress shoes for work, during COVID and WFH I was barefoot like 90% of the time so my toes spread out and I switched to Altras for everyday wear which now fit me great.

I think this is loving me over currently... Maybe I just need to suck it up and start wearing shoes even though I WFH

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

xzzy posted:

As a person with hilariously wide feet, like with some brands EE still isn't wide enough, the Altras actually feel lose in the toebox. I'm not sure if that's how a shoe is supposed to feel because I've been living with too-narrow shoes my whole life or if they're just too big to make sense.

So if I typically wear an 11½ wide, I should just order an 11½? Or will my toes hit the front and I should get a 12?

This seems like a really good deal, and there's nowhere locally for me to try these on.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

charliebravo77 posted:

barefoot life

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RodShaft posted:

So if I typically wear an 11½ wide, I should just order an 11½? Or will my toes hit the front and I should get a 12?

This seems like a really good deal, and there's nowhere locally for me to try these on.

I wear a 9 1/2 wide on everything and got 9 1/2 for my lone peaks so I guess that means sizing up isn't necessary. At least it's REI, if it's wrong they're happy to take returns.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Any of y’all tested the warranty on Altras? Mine are wearing and coming unglued in a couple spots and I’d really expect more from what they cost

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

charliebravo77 posted:

seriously. unrelated but within the last year or so I've finally been able to eradicate the treatment-resistant athlete's foot that's been plaguing me on and off for almost a decade. People weren't meant to wear shoes for 10+ hours a day

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The callouses on my feet disintegrating in 2020 was not fun though. And even less fun when I started doing hikes again and those same friction points were just plain old skin.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
PSA on shoes and feet-

Your feet tend to spread out and even lengthen a little as you age. A couple of the older generation in my family got properly sized for the first time in decades, and clocked in a few numbers above what they thought. Their feet felt the difference.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah my dad had been wearing 1.5 sizes too small for 40+ years.

I know I myself went up a full size between 20 and 30.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

same here I had to buy my first pair of 13s last year :qq:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
My girlfriend got upped a full size when we got her re-sized last year. She's 31, was last measured probably in her early or mid-20s.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have a couple of quick car camping questions about cooking and shelters I should definitely know the answers to already, but 20 years out of the Boy Scouts I've forgotten so much. I grew up in a troop that did a lot of stuff "the hard way," like doing all our cooking over a campfire, not a camping stove. I am not intending to subject myself to this level of rigor while attempting to take a 3 year old camping, but now I have the double whammy of not remembering what we used to do and not knowing what's good if I don't need to do all that. I am not a backpacker at all so weight etc. is not an issue for any of this stuff.

I recall having dining flies, but I don't remember if we just strung up tarps or what, and I definitely don't remember how to pitch one. I've seen "instant" ones that all but pitch themselves, like this one, but the reviews are mostly bad. Is there one of these I should be looking at, or do I just need to re-learn to rig a tarp? If the latter, should I just get a giant cheap blue tarp, or is there something else I should look at?

My cooking needs are pretty basic, but I would like two burners and don't care about weight, so I don't need one of the tiny little backpacking stoves. Is the classic Coleman the way to go, or are the fancy ones worth it?

Can you cook under a dining fly, or is that going to melt my dining fly/cause me to breathe in nasty fumes/some other problem? I sincerely do not remember what we did if it rained.

These are super basic questions and I feel like a moron asking them, but they're going to be important to know the answers to once the kiddo graduates past camping in my in-laws' back yard and we have to actually pack in our food and cook and eat it in camp.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I’ve never used a “dining fly” in a couple decades of car camping. You can get a pop-up awning if you want to, but unless your kid is horribly opposed to being subjected to any of the elements it’s probably easier to just eat at the picnic table that most car camping sites have.

As far as the stove, one of the basic Coleman two-burners should do you just fine.

e: tbf I also tend to be confused by the people who set up some sort of homestead at their campsite so I may not be the best source of info on this one.

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 15, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The point of cooking over a campfire isn't because it's hard or "real camping," it's because it tastes amazing.

Definitely get a coleman stove, but also bring a package of hotdogs to cook over a fire. There is no better hotdog on the planet.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Freaquency posted:

I’ve never used a “dining fly” in a couple decades of car camping.

Must be nice camping places without horrific amounts of mosquitos.

Its why I'm so happy I hike and camp in the rockies now. Too cold for bugs at night. I don't even have a inner fly for my tent

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

Must be nice camping places without horrific amounts of mosquitos.

I looked through an entire page of google image search results for "dining fly" and not a single one has a bug net so I don't know what you're talking about here.

Googling them also suggests that they are a scouts thing, which explains why I've never heard of them before now. OP I think you will be fine without one

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

guppy posted:

I have a couple of quick car camping questions about cooking and shelters I should definitely know the answers to already, but 20 years out of the Boy Scouts I've forgotten so much. I grew up in a troop that did a lot of stuff "the hard way," like doing all our cooking over a campfire, not a camping stove. I am not intending to subject myself to this level of rigor while attempting to take a 3 year old camping, but now I have the double whammy of not remembering what we used to do and not knowing what's good if I don't need to do all that. I am not a backpacker at all so weight etc. is not an issue for any of this stuff.

I recall having dining flies, but I don't remember if we just strung up tarps or what, and I definitely don't remember how to pitch one. I've seen "instant" ones that all but pitch themselves, like this one, but the reviews are mostly bad. Is there one of these I should be looking at, or do I just need to re-learn to rig a tarp? If the latter, should I just get a giant cheap blue tarp, or is there something else I should look at?

My cooking needs are pretty basic, but I would like two burners and don't care about weight, so I don't need one of the tiny little backpacking stoves. Is the classic Coleman the way to go, or are the fancy ones worth it?

Can you cook under a dining fly, or is that going to melt my dining fly/cause me to breathe in nasty fumes/some other problem? I sincerely do not remember what we did if it rained.

These are super basic questions and I feel like a moron asking them, but they're going to be important to know the answers to once the kiddo graduates past camping in my in-laws' back yard and we have to actually pack in our food and cook and eat it in camp.

Coleman two burner is fine. I have the Camp Chef brand one that costs a bit more, but I don't think it's any better.

You can string up basically any tarp you want, I typically use cheap ones from Harbor Freight if I need a rain cover. Look up videos online for how to string a tarp "on a ridgeline". There are a bunch of ways of doing it, but you only really need it if you're going to be cooking/hanging out in the rain. In those cases, I have moved the picnic table to be under where I was able to hang the tarp, and moved it back again later before vacating the campsite. I've never gotten yelled at for that, but YMMV. You can cook under the tarp, it's totally fine, just make sure the tarp is strung up as high as you can realistically reach.

armorer fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 15, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We never used any kind of "dining fly" growing up (in Alaska, one of the mostquito hotspots) but they have gotten common in the past several years, whenever I'm in a campground I'll see a bunch of them.

I think they're mostly known as canopy tent or screen tents though.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I was in scouts and never used a dining fly( or at least I don't remember, it's been 30 years), I rediscovered my love of the outdoors a few years ago and even with car camping, never used one. I did use a pop-up like 8 ft x 8 ft awning to extend out over the front of my tent when I was spending 2 weeks building a cabin for my sister.

In scouts we did always cook over fires though. Never seemed like much of a hassle because we always had a fire anyway. Coleman or a similar camping 2 burner sound be fine. I used a large single burner Coleman that had crazy attachments (including a Crock-Pot) when I was building that cabin and now she uses it for her daily cooking.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Having a few tarps is handy for when it rains but I only put them up if the weather is calling for rain. I don't like having a huge homestead when I'm camping. I usually prefer it to be as natural as possible. Then again, I'm usually camping in remote areas vs established sites. Hanging a tarp above where you cook is fine. Your stove won't put out that much heat to melt a tarp 6' above it. Also as long as you're not cooking in a tent you should be fine for fumes. I've seen people cook inside those screened gazebos and pop up canopies without issue. They're open on all sides.

I think my next investment for car camping is some kind of small roll or fold up table and a camp kitchen stand. Something to place the stove on, maybe with a shelf or two for a collapsible sink. Lots of places I've gone don't have a table and a work surface is super helpful. I just don't want one of those huge Cabela's ones.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you do get a roll up table, don't buy cheap and/or don't buy wood. The one we got is both and getting the legs in is a pain because the wood is either swollen from humidity or warped because it's dried out.

It is a great thing to have when dispersed camping though.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

RE folding table chat, my friends have this one and we get great use out of it car camping:

Lifetime Height Adjustable Craft Camping and Utility Folding Table, 4 Foot, 4'/48 x 24, White Granite https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YJPC2A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MBTJ3057K95W13ZTWQ09?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Verman posted:

I think my next investment for car camping is some kind of small roll or fold up table and a camp kitchen stand. Something to place the stove on, maybe with a shelf or two for a collapsible sink. Lots of places I've gone don't have a table and a work surface is super helpful. I just don't want one of those huge Cabela's ones.

I got one of these before they discontinued them. I love it.

https://www.rei.com/product/828504/rei-co-op-camp-pack-n-prep-totetable

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Over the last few years I've accumulated quite a few accessories for car camping. A small camp table is great if you're camping somewhere with no amenities like BLM land. The less common things I have that get the most use are my two 5 gallon Scepter water containers w/spout. You don't really need them, you can buy gallons of water, but they're really nice to have. Obvious stuff like a hammock and camp chairs are no brainers.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah we finally got two chairs and a table and it feels so glamp, highly recommend for dispersed car camping

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
To be clear, I was specifically talking about in case of rain. And when I say "dining fly," I'm not talking about something screened in, just something to keep the rain off you.

RE: tables, we never had them growing up but I have been eyeing some of the Stoic ones that Backcountry makes. They're on sale if you're interested:
https://www.backcountry.com/stoic-dirtbag-square-table
https://www.backcountry.com/stoic-dirtbag-dining-table

Some of the reviews aren't impressed with the construction, some of them are. No idea myself. I'm sure other places sell something similar. They have a few other models as well.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Coleman tables are fine for car camping.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Again with Costco, they have some of my favorite chairs. After years with the bag type, I've gone the director chair route and won't look back. The side table is really nice for a plate of food and a drink.

https://www.costco.com/timber-ridge-folding-director's-chair%2c-2-pack.product.100481959.html

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

guppy posted:

To be clear, I was specifically talking about in case of rain. And when I say "dining fly," I'm not talking about something screened in, just something to keep the rain off you.

RE: tables, we never had them growing up but I have been eyeing some of the Stoic ones that Backcountry makes. They're on sale if you're interested:
https://www.backcountry.com/stoic-dirtbag-square-table
https://www.backcountry.com/stoic-dirtbag-dining-table

Some of the reviews aren't impressed with the construction, some of them are. No idea myself. I'm sure other places sell something similar. They have a few other models as well.

If you're looking for Something to keep rain off when car camping, just get a pop up canopy. Our family has one we bring that fits over a picnic table just fine. You can also find weights for the feet to keep it stable in windy conditions.
Something like this:
https://www.costco.com/eurmax-standard-10x10-easy-pop-up-canopy-tent-white-with-4-pack-sand-weight-bags.product.100811920.html
Cooking under them with a propane or isobutane stove is fine.

You should be able to find something like that at most all-in-one stores like Fred Meyer or a cheaper sporting goods store like Big 5 if you're not looking to break the bank.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

MORE SHOE DEALS!
Sunny Sports has a 50% off coupon.
AF50

Highlights:
$30 Adidas Terrex Agravic Trail Running Shoes
$35 Adidas Terrex Two Flow Trail Running Shoes
$35 Vasque Juxt Hiking Shoes

I know zero about this store or these shoes, but thought someone might find it useful.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
After a rainier than expected trail work weekend I have determined that I need to increase the comfort level of my car camping situation. Is there a go-to tent that is tall enough to mostly stand up and change clothes in but not too crazy huge? I'm just one person but would also be nice to have a little extra room to keep all of my stuff inside and out of the rain if necessary.

My little 2-person Kelty works fine but it is slightly too short to change clothes in easily (even bending forward at the waist) and things stored in the vestibule under the rain fly still end up a little damp and muddy (though not soaked). I'm usually in a tent city at these things so better not to offend the sensibilities of the neighbors by changing outside.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Most tents I've seen that are tall enough to stand are, minimum, four person. Maybe you could look at a camp shower? They're small enough for one person and tall enough to stand in.
Then again, taking up that much real estate with two structures is probably the same footprint as a four person tent.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

withak posted:

After a rainier than expected trail work weekend I have determined that I need to increase the comfort level of my car camping situation. Is there a go-to tent that is tall enough to mostly stand up and change clothes in but not too crazy huge? I'm just one person but would also be nice to have a little extra room to keep all of my stuff inside and out of the rain if necessary.

My little 2-person Kelty works fine but it is slightly too short to change clothes in easily (even bending forward at the waist) and things stored in the vestibule under the rain fly still end up a little damp and muddy (though not soaked). I'm usually in a tent city at these things so better not to offend the sensibilities of the neighbors by changing outside.

Not sure about 2 and 3 person but there's lots of 4-person tents that are 6ft+ at the peak without being too gigantic:
84" peak: Eureka Copper Canyon LX - $250ish (on sale on Amazon for ~230) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083T6WJKD - no personal experience but the rain fly looks a little skimpy on these
78" peak: REI Skyward - $350ish (REI membership required at the moment) https://www.rei.com/product/202274/rei-co-op-skyward-4-tent - new tent line, initial reviews make it seem OK, neato all screen ceiling if you're not expecting rain, smallish vestibule that can double as an awning, vestibule and somewhat skimpy rainfly are separate
75" peak: North Face Sequoia - $400ish (discontinued on sale at REI for ~300) https://www.rei.com/product/189591/the-north-face-sequoia-4-tent-with-footprint - nice big vestibule and includes a footprint, best rain fly of these cheaper tents

If you're concerned about wind and rain and want a full coverage fly, Big Agnes and MSR have good, but more expensive options:
https://www.rei.com/product/178879/msr-habitude-4-tent
https://www.rei.com/product/168524/big-agnes-bunk-house-4-tent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks! Four-person size is fine, I figured it would have to be in that range. I'm concerned that I might have trouble talking myself out of getting a cot also.

withak fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 18, 2022