Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
I have some very happy and very sad news to share, chicken thread.

the happy news: my special chicken is walking almost totally normally again, only occasionally limping slightly or having a hitchy step. she is still getting better every day and it has been incredibly relieving to watch her improve. I've taken a few videos of her relearning to scratch-forage and the difference between the beginning to now is vey stark.

my sad news is that unfortunately, Tiny Man has passed away.

Tiny Man was our silkied Serama rooster. He was a grandfather, a show winner, and a very sweet, snuggly boy. We received him from his breeder (who had purchased him on his show credentials) because he began to have seizures later in life, a condition that we have found out is not uncommon in Seramas. He'd previously had two spread out over the year and change we had him, but they had been related to explicit stress events, and while dramatic, he always quickly recovered. Over the past two months or so however, we saw him have several, and had cause to suspect at least a couple more. after each seizure he would quickly recover, and otherwise seemed to be very happily going about his life. (all of the eggs our pullets just started laying have been fertilized)

That leads up to tonight. He wasn't in his normal sleeping spot when I put them to bed, and after a short search we found his body. We found him in the area where the chickens like to sun bathe, and every indication is that he probably passed away peacefully, and not (directly) from a seizure.

He was not very old, and we didn't get to have him as long as we wanted to, but I think he got to have a happy life here. He had a lot of gigantic girlfriends who he loved to dance for and who mostly tolerated him, and he got to intimidate male ducks who were probably 10-20x his body mass whenever he wanted.

RIP Tiny Man, I'll miss you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

BHB posted:

RIP Tiny Man, I'll miss you.
Oh no. Roost in Peace, Tiny Man.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

City of Glompton posted:

bringing home two new hens today :)

one is broody and they sent her eggs along with her. not sure if they're fertile or not but we'll find out later

:henget:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Big respects to Tiny Man, he's dancing on a different plane of existence now.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

ynohtna posted:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Rest in Peace, Tiny Man. You're the hero we needed in these dire COVID times.

I am happy to hear your sweet special chicken is recovering. I hope things continue to improve.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 9, 2022

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

ynohtna posted:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

ynohtna posted:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

We have our first pip! #9, a bantam egg (of course). Some peeping goin' on, too. Not starting the camera yet (or the GBS Chickam thread) as the chick hasn't started to unzip. Will keep everyone posted!

#9 is on the right in the front (I took this pic earlier, so it's not pipped in this photo).

A second egg has pipped, #12 (on the far left, in front), a small light blue egg. Still no unzipping from either egg, so not starting the camera yet.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 15, 2022

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Oh my gosh it’s happening

It’s happening

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:supaburn:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

go eggs go!

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

MrUnderbridge posted:

They were at the "toddle, toddle, toddle -plop, sleep" stage.

Many thanks for this visual.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

#9 is VERY slowly unzipping, so we've started the cam! It *might* hatch by morning. I haven't slept in like, 2 days, so I'm getting some sleep now while I can.

GBS Chickam thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3999599

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

#9 is VERY slowly unzipping, so we've started the cam! It *might* hatch by morning. I haven't slept in like, 2 days, so I'm getting some sleep now while I can.

GBS Chickam thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3999599

:five:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

good luck to the new babies!

one of the chickens i just bought is sick. her symptoms are labored breathing, bubbles at the corner of her eyes, and runny poo. she has been eating, drinking, and preening and only looks mildly miserable. they have been quarantined so they'll just have to stay that way awhile longer i guess. also suppose i need to find a vet. ugh.

her sister had an overgrown beak. i've never had a chicken with with an overgrown beak so trimming it was new to me. felt like trimming a dog's nail. she didn't mind too much.

the other chickens are busy being miserable outside. they have been stuck in their coops/runs for a week now because of bird flu. 3 of them have gone broody in protest.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 13 days!)

rest in power, tiny man :( and thrive in peace, special hen :h:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

City of Glompton posted:

one of the chickens i just bought is sick. her symptoms are labored breathing, bubbles at the corner of her eyes, and runny poo. she has been eating, drinking, and preening and only looks mildly miserable. they have been quarantined so they'll just have to stay that way awhile longer i guess. also suppose i need to find a vet. ugh.

How is the sick hen?

I forgot if I said and my internet is down so it’s too slow to look but I ordered some Naked Neck hatching eggs after Marge went broody. Of course they came over a week later so I gave Marge our own eggs instead of making her sit for an extra week. After that, no other hen went broody so I’ve had them in the incubator. Out of 8 eggs, three developed and one just hatched! When my internet comes back up I will post some pictures.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

looking forward to the baby picture!

i was just coming here to say that Scarlett the sick hen is doing a lot better! her eyes are clear, her poop is almost normal, and she has a tail poof instead of being a miserable puffed up chicken ball. her sister Navi laid an egg today, so i think she is feeling better too (she didn't have much in the way of symptoms but i can only assume she was sick too). i think they're about to graduate from the house to the garage for a few more days of rehab before they go to the other chickens.

good thing too because look who we brought home today:

3 australorps and 3 rhode island reds. there were supposed to be 4 chicks total but chicken math gets fuzzy. they were also supposed to be Lil' Pep's broody prize but she seemed less than thrilled about the concept of motherhood

the plan was, we'd let her raise them, then we'd sell them buuuut maybe we just need to build a larger coop so we can keep them? they're awfully cute ;)

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Cute babies!

Chicks 2 & 3 hatched! And because of chick math and the trouble of adding a small number of chicks to the flock, I got 4 from the feed store. Amazingly they had Naked Necks so now we have 7 :3:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 13 days!)

so much chick :qq: i am not hatching any eggs until september for religious reasons; i hope my current flock all survive until then because i desperately want another generation of them all. until then, this thread satisfies my broodiness.

City of Glompton posted:

i was just coming here to say that Scarlett the sick hen is doing a lot better! her eyes are clear, her poop is almost normal, and she has a tail poof instead of being a miserable puffed up chicken ball. her sister Navi laid an egg today, so i think she is feeling better too (she didn't have much in the way of symptoms but i can only assume she was sick too). i think they're about to graduate from the house to the garage for a few more days of rehab before they go to the other chickens.
excellent news! and lmao at lil' pep tormenting you with perma-brood and then not being interested in the chicks. these creatures are sent to try us

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Joburg posted:

Cute babies!

Chicks 2 & 3 hatched! And because of chick math and the trouble of adding a small number of chicks to the flock, I got 4 from the feed store. Amazingly they had Naked Necks so now we have 7 :3:

What do naked neck chicks look like? Are they all floof (as normal 'feathered neck' breeds) at the start?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hopefully this will upload, my internet is still down :(

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Hello, little one. :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joburg posted:

Aww :allears:. What's the line drawn around the egg for? Tracking their progress while unzipping?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Aww :allears:. What's the line drawn around the egg for? Tracking their progress while unzipping?

While Marge was brooding her eggs I put these under her as well. Broodies do a better job than incubators, usually. (I removed these before hers hatched since these hatched much later.) The line is so that I can tell the broody eggs apart from any new eggs laid in the nest. My hens like to sit practically on top of the broody and lay their eggs :rolleyes:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Joburg posted:

seems rather underwhelmed by this whole life outside the egg malarkey

so cute :kimchi:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1516979363140435968

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
My internet is back up!!!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

oh my god

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Joburg posted:

I love them so much

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

These are the most amazing little creatures

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Joburg posted:

That look like a pygmy ostrich

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
They look like sassy grandmas!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

so adorably ugly :kimchi:

edit: my husband says "it's like they got in a...neck accident"

i don't know what that means either

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 23, 2022

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Besides being adorable, they are the easiest chicks to handle that I’ve ever had. So far they hardly fuss at all when I get them out of the brooder.

I really like brooding them with the heat plates and using the cage on the table too. I don’t have to loom over them so they don’t go into panic mode all the time. A+ would recommend.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Joburg posted:

amazing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joburg posted:

Looks like a boy band's album cover :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Oh god, this thread still exists. I haven't posted here in years and thought this megathread would be closed by now. For the oldtimers that are still around and remember the henhoes, two of the original ones are still alive - Rusty and Dust - and are pushing 11-12 years old. What a trip down memory lane this thread is.