Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I have heard that it is still a good idea to not just run a new motor at a constant engine speed for hours. Like don't just et your cruise at 70mph. Vary it a bit. Maybe drop to a lower or higher speed occasionally.
FWIW, your owners manual will describe any actual break in procedures and if there's nothing there, probably don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's definitely true for boats. A lot of owners will leave the dock then set it to 2200rpm or whatever cruising speed is and leave it there for 7 hours as they go down the coast and causes certain things to wear more quickly

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Posted this in the BMW thread but gently caress it I’ll put it here too, because I think I’m making a very good decision and want to make sure that it’s not actually a very bad decision.

The finance on my car is up in a few months time and I have the option to hand it back, part exchange against a new car, or pay the GFV (guaranteed final value aka balloon payment) and keep it.

It’s a well equipped 2017 320i M Sport Shadow Edition that right now is almost 4.5 years old at 49,000 miles. I’m the second owner having acquired it at 6 months old with 6000 miles. It’s been well looked after, serviced properly, and is in great condition. It’s a brilliant car and I’ve not had any issues with it to date.

The GFV is £9800 based on 4.5 years old with 46,000 miles, so I’m a few thousand over. Of course COVID has hosed the market up somewhat. We Buy Any Car (the U.K. version of companies that you can offload your car to quickly for cash) values it at nearly £17,000. Similar examples on Autotrader are selling between £19,000 to £22,000. Main dealers are selling them for around £22,000 to £25,000.

So a car that I know has been looked after properly for £9800 in the current market is an absolute steal and I’m making the right decision if I choose to buy it?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks for all the responses re whether to limit driving after picking up a new car, they're very helpful.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Posted this in the BMW thread but gently caress it I’ll put it here too, because I think I’m making a very good decision and want to make sure that it’s not actually a very bad decision.

The finance on my car is up in a few months time and I have the option to hand it back, part exchange against a new car, or pay the GFV (guaranteed final value aka balloon payment) and keep it.

It’s a well equipped 2017 320i M Sport Shadow Edition that right now is almost 4.5 years old at 49,000 miles. I’m the second owner having acquired it at 6 months old with 6000 miles. It’s been well looked after, serviced properly, and is in great condition. It’s a brilliant car and I’ve not had any issues with it to date.

The GFV is £9800 based on 4.5 years old with 46,000 miles, so I’m a few thousand over. Of course COVID has hosed the market up somewhat. We Buy Any Car (the U.K. version of companies that you can offload your car to quickly for cash) values it at nearly £17,000. Similar examples on Autotrader are selling between £19,000 to £22,000. Main dealers are selling them for around £22,000 to £25,000.

So a car that I know has been looked after properly for £9800 in the current market is an absolute steal and I’m making the right decision if I choose to buy it?
Oh yeah, if you can buy it out for 10 grand and it's worth 20 on the market that's an amazing deal, congrats

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So with interest rate deals on new cars and the insane overpricing of used, isn't it a good idea to just buy a new car if its within the budget? Especially since, my nephew, who I'm advising, has two now overpriced used cars to trade in. He needs to buy basically the smallest car that's pretty tall seat wise*. That seems like it'll be crossover SUVs like Rav4s or Foresters where the used price is drat close to new on anything semi recent.

*Unfortunately, he has to buy a taller car because he's stuck with taking my dad/his grandpa to appointments a lot. My dad is a big, tall guy who had polio and wears a full steel brace on his leg which makes it very difficult for him to get down into a car and get back up again. Ideally a car needs to be the height he can just kinda fall back straight into and for getting out just swing his legs out and then lock his brace. My dad when he could drive drove mini vans or vans but my nephew isn't keen on getting anything like that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you look at a used 7 series, they have the ride height adjustment which gives you some extra height, and then the rear seat is stretched so that would give him more swing room than a comparable full size sedan

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FuzzySlippers posted:

So with interest rate deals on new cars and the insane overpricing of used, isn't it a good idea to just buy a new car if its within the budget? Especially since, my nephew, who I'm advising, has two now overpriced used cars to trade in. He needs to buy basically the smallest car that's pretty tall seat wise*. That seems like it'll be crossover SUVs like Rav4s or Foresters where the used price is drat close to new on anything semi recent.

*Unfortunately, he has to buy a taller car because he's stuck with taking my dad/his grandpa to appointments a lot. My dad is a big, tall guy who had polio and wears a full steel brace on his leg which makes it very difficult for him to get down into a car and get back up again. Ideally a car needs to be the height he can just kinda fall back straight into and for getting out just swing his legs out and then lock his brace. My dad when he could drive drove mini vans or vans but my nephew isn't keen on getting anything like that.

I'm really only familiar with the electric models so can't comment on the drivetrain of the gas models but the Kia Soul is a small car with a lot of interior room and headspace.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The series 7 looks pretty low. The soul might be doable but I can't tell from pictures. I'd have to look at the seat height irl. As far as I can tell they don't list the seat height on cars in the piles of stats.

My dad's 6"4 and he can't bend his right leg without manually unlocking the brace which then means he can't put any weight on it unlocked. So he has to balance on the other as he tries to sit. Like my leaf sits a bit higher than most sedans and it's tough getting him seated (he's a big guy). That's why ideally it's tall enough for him to sit without needing to unlock the brace.

Something truck height without being as crazy expensive (or yikes mpg) as trucks would be nice.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

the Kia Soul is a small car with a lot of interior room and headspace.

This was going to be my recommendation too; they're very common vehicles, they're not very expensive, but they also rate very highly in their segment. Definitely actually put the man in one and see if it's sufficient, but it'd be the first vehicle I'd try.

Edit: not just high head space, but higher seat height, which is probably important for someone in a steel leg brace; elderly people with poor hip mobility love high seat height because you don't have to drop into a squat just to get into the vehicle.

Also, Google says the Kia Soul seat height is 25.6 inches, which is apparently "average for it's class".

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 7, 2022

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The easiest class of cars to get in and out of are minivans. Don't know what your budget is, but we really can't tell you the answer here, you're going to have to take your dad (preferably to like a car show or something) and get him to try a bunch of things out.

Maybe the Mazda CXs if your nephew is against minivans. Although they can be cool

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 7, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Minivan is probably the best people mover in most ways, but they're also asking for smallest possible while still being tall.

By tall it sounds like high riding/easy entry is maybe the most valuable here at least to speculate on the internet. There's a lot of different ways 6'4" people fit into cars so they're going to have to do some test driving with grandpa for best results.

The smallest tallest cars are crossovers but they are small to a fault. But maybe that's ok. CX-30, HRV are fine I guess. There's a Corolla crossover new this year. It's Toyota so it's also probably fine.

CUVs are next steps up and have a lot of good options. CX-5, CRV, RAV4 are all great. CX-50 is getting good reviews now that it's starting to get out there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

When did crossovers and CUVs become different segments? I always used them interchangeably.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Depends on make probably. I use it as a distinction because it's easier than adding qualifiers like compact crossover or full size crossover which is wordy and not even that accurate.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yes, and this has actually been the case for a lot longer than the used market has been hosed up. The only brand-new car I've ever bought was a '13 CR-V, and that's because every '12 I could find was priced within a few percentage points of new, with market-rate loans instead of Honda-subsidized 0.9%.

Even before supplies of new cars were constrained, 1-2 year old used versions of the highest-demand vehicles were bad values.

Regarding your nephew's particular situation, the best thing to do is going to be simply physically testing as many vehicles as everyone involved can stand. Don't even need to drive at first, just see what works well and what doesn't for getting in and out. Measurements can only tell you so much, this seems like the kind of scenario where even something like the shape of the door opening could make a big impact on how accessible the car actually is.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KillHour posted:

When did crossovers and CUVs become different segments? I always used them interchangeably.

Coupe used to mean a car with 2 doors. Words don’t mean anything anymore.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

they are not different segments

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions! It's a heavy physical toll on him every time he enters/exits a car, so it's very helpful to narrow the field for us (as we are also car stupid) before we start trying things out and then get him involved.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Suggesting a used 7 series is a gimmick, unless you're shopping for a bankruptcy. They're possibly more expensive to own than a new one, unless you just ignore broken and worn out stuff.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

FuzzySlippers posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! It's a heavy physical toll on him every time he enters/exits a car, so it's very helpful to narrow the field for us (as we are also car stupid) before we start trying things out and then get him involved.

My mom and grandma both have somewhat similar issues where they need a tall car with a higher seat to get in and out comfortably. I have a Mazda CX-30 and it was occasionally doable, but neither of them would want to live with that car. Even though crossovers have a higher seating position, the inside isn't necessarily any taller. Also pay attention to how much the door opens.

My mom still has her old Toyota Yaris Verso which is the perfect model for her, but it's from 2005 and she's been looking at replacements. She's sat in, and liked or found tolerable the following: Kia Soul, VW Touran, Toyota Verso, Toyota Corolla Verso. VW Golf Plus is doable but not the best. Caveat is that these are EU models.

I think this thread also recommended Ford B-Max back when I was asking about this exact topic, but not sure if that model is available in your region.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The solution is obviously a Sprinter van.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Well yes, but if everybody who wanted a sprinter van got a sprinter van we would run out of room.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DanTheFryingPan posted:

My mom and grandma both have somewhat similar issues where they need a tall car with a higher seat to get in and out comfortably. I have a Mazda CX-30 and it was occasionally doable, but neither of them would want to live with that car. Even though crossovers have a higher seating position, the inside isn't necessarily any taller. Also pay attention to how much the door opens.

My mom still has her old Toyota Yaris Verso which is the perfect model for her, but it's from 2005 and she's been looking at replacements. She's sat in, and liked or found tolerable the following: Kia Soul, VW Touran, Toyota Verso, Toyota Corolla Verso. VW Golf Plus is doable but not the best. Caveat is that these are EU models.

I think this thread also recommended Ford B-Max back when I was asking about this exact topic, but not sure if that model is available in your region.

Is the Toyota Sienta not available in Europe? It seems like that would be a good fit. Seems like most of the taxis in Taiwan have been changing into that over the past 5 years.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Hi friends, I need some advice. I currently drive a nissa juke, but it has proven to be incompatible with having a toddler and I need to trade it in for something roomier. I am open to suggestions.

Proposed Budget: $20k
New or Used: either one
Body Style: 4 door small suv or hatchback
How will you be using the car?: drive to work/daycare.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) not important at all
What aspects are most important to you? MPG, a cute look, reliability
Thank you!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

remigious posted:

Hi friends, I need some advice. I currently drive a nissa juke, but it has proven to be incompatible with having a toddler and I need to trade it in for something roomier. I am open to suggestions.

Proposed Budget: $20k
New or Used: either one
Body Style: 4 door small suv or hatchback
How will you be using the car?: drive to work/daycare.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) not important at all
What aspects are most important to you? MPG, a cute look, reliability
Thank you!

That may be the biggest vehicle segment out there. There's a ton of options. Thread favorites are Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Mazda has a few options. Any other preferences that would narrow the field down? There's over 30 options.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

skipdogg posted:

That may be the biggest vehicle segment out there. There's a ton of options. Thread favorites are Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Mazda has a few options. Any other preferences that would narrow the field down? There's over 30 options.

Those are great places to start, thank you! The only way I can really narrow it down is I would prefer something that looks “not boring”, which I know is subjective. Also my price range is not super high so that is limiting my options as well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I would suggest that of the various thread favorites in that class (CR-V, RAV4, CX-5) that the CX-5 is the best looking inside and out, but has the worst packaging and use of interior space. The RAV4 has good interior space but less good tech compared to other options, especially for gently used versions. The CR-V is probably a nice compromise for you assuming that you find the appearance reasonable; Honda Sensing tech was widely available from 2017, it drives somewhere in between the two, and the interior packaging is very good.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

If you're prioritizing looks then that may change the calculus slightly. Everything these fine folks have said about the Toyota, Honda, and Mazda crossovers is entirely true. But what are you looking for re: appearance? Is it something square and quirky, is a Kia Soul "not boring"? Would you sacrifice utility for a mini (4 door) or clubman, if you like their look? You've asked for advice but then emphasized your aesthetic preferences, admitting it's "subjective," but haven't talked about what you actually think subjectively looks like what you'd want to own.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 15, 2022

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I appreciate the advice :) We are going to look at a Soul tomorrow so we’ll see how that goes. Jesus Christ the pricing on used cars is bonkers right now, we might just buy new.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the Soul is a little bit smaller inside even though it is very clever from a packaging perspective. in particular the trunk space is small horizontally.

anyway whatever you do do not buy the corolla sport cross or whatever that thing is called and also don't buy a honda HR-V

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Can you elaborate on the HR-V's flaws? I almost bought one of those last year but then my father in law gave me a car after I spent about 4 months on the waitlist. What kind of bullet did I dodge?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

Can you elaborate on the HR-V's flaws? I almost bought one of those last year but then my father in law gave me a car after I spent about 4 months on the waitlist. What kind of bullet did I dodge?

It's just a bad compromise. The HR-V is a lot of extra size and weight and price compared to the Fit it replaced without offering a ton more interior space. If you're already getting a CUV instead of a hatchback, in most cases you might as well go for a CR-V.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The HR-V seemed to me like "I want to drive a Chevy Spark but feel cool about it"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

all of the downsides of a CR-V with none of the utility

it's also gutless and cheap feeling in a bad way

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So it's like a mud 2010s Nissan versa but with a premium attached for the Honda logo on the trunk?

We rode in a lot of HRV in SE asia via uber, they're probably a pretty acceptable crossover for a very compact region like that. Would not want to daily drive one in the US

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Is buying a car anywhere just a total pain in the rear end right now? For the third time we were set up to test drive something and it sold before we could get to the dealership. I’m feeling really over this whole process and might just go with carvana instead.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

remigious posted:

Is buying a car anywhere just a total pain in the rear end right now?

Yes. And it has been for quite some time.

And doesn't appear to be getting better any time soon.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

We couldn't find a dealership with a 22 rav4 hybrid in stock so we ended up driving a 21 version which is supposed to be very similar.

The used 21 was more expensive than the new 22 :shrug: All of this is confusing

The pisser was also finding out that despite buying a used altima years ago (16k-ish I think? the apr really sucked) and paying it off early my nephew has neither high nor low credit but just a credit void. Apparently paying off a loan doesn't matter if you never bothered with a credit card. Get a credit card and buy dumb poo poo or become an economic pariah.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 15, 2022

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

The used one you can drive away in today. The new one is a 3 month wait.

Market is hosed, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

KillHour posted:

Check leasehackr. The one I used only does BMW but that's where I found him. You don't have to pay them until they found a car and you agree to buy it so it's a win-win.

Just wanted to follow up and say this was tremendous, timely advice. We went through a broker posting on leasehackr site and got a new car without problem and within our budget, and didn't have to deal with any shenanigans from the dealer.

We couldn't get the Prius like we originally wanted and went with a RAV4 instead, though I suspect if we'd been a bit more patient we'd have eventually been able to get some kind of hybrid. Ultimately it's fine and meets our requirements.

It's a little mind blowing seeing used car ads on carvana for the same make and model for MORE than we paid the dealer and broker and taxes for a new car. It is a terrible time to buy a car.

edit

FuzzySlippers posted:

We couldn't find a dealership with a 22 rav4 hybrid in stock so we ended up driving a 21 version which is supposed to be very similar.

My Toyota focused broker said a hybrid 2022 RAV4 is one of the hardest things to get right now, much harder than a Prius. You essentially need to luck out to get one near mrsp.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 15, 2022