Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Zeruel posted:

is it possible to set up the character plates/adventure profiles to change per job? I keep lookin like a goober when i swap jobs and do CC and my default plate shows up.

you can tie portraits to gear set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe try a different class then?

My gameplan is 90% potshots, because FFXIV PvP is too frantic for an organized plan. Back when Assassinate stunned, Ninja was my go-to for similar reasons that Bard was last patch and MCH is this patch.

What different job do you recommend?

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 15, 2022

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Zeruel posted:

is it possible to set up the character plates/adventure profiles to change per job? I keep lookin like a goober when i swap jobs and do CC and my default plate shows up.
e: also add custom text to profiles

yeah you can link instant portraits to gear sets, so when you swap classes, it'll switch to that portrait. the only downside is that it seems you have to be wearing exactly everything that's was in the portrait when you took it or you just get switched to the default plate.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Grayshift posted:

I think I'm a pretty competent pve player, but something about how pvp is combined constant movement, appropriately playing defensively or offensively, and fighting the tab-target system overloads me still.

The best PvP tip I've ever gotten was to bind a mouse button (or other easily accessible key) to the "target closest enemy" command. :iia:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Captain Oblivious posted:

Taken away seems unlikely.

But there might come a point where profiles like that one become reportable.

Yea this is probably how they'll deal with it, giving GMs the tools to edit/delete portraits that go too far just like they can rename players and guilds

but there's no denying this is tremendous content

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am unclear on a mechanic on the final boss for thenew 24 man raid:

For the scales, I was under the impression that one add equals 8 players. So in other words, stand on the opposite side of the add you were tethered to. However, the last time I ran it that didn't seem to bare out, as I thought all the adds were on one side but there had to be people on the other side in order to pass. What, if anything, am I missing?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I've only done it once, but from what i remember the icons made it look like the adds equalled 2?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
If all else fails, you don't actually have to do any kind of math or counting in your head. Just look at the scales display and move to the side that's shown as higher, if any. If they're already balanced, nobody has to move.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

I am unclear on a mechanic on the final boss for thenew 24 man raid:

For the scales, I was under the impression that one add equals 8 players. So in other words, stand on the opposite side of the add you were tethered to. However, the last time I ran it that didn't seem to bare out, as I thought all the adds were on one side but there had to be people on the other side in order to pass. What, if anything, am I missing?

this is roughly correct, there's just a little bit of leeway that i assume is anti-troll tech. also are you sure all the adds were on one side? because sometimes it's split 2/1

YES bread fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 15, 2022

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
If you've spent any time as a woman online the prospect of unsolicited pictures of some guy's dick, or the carefully manufactured simulacrum of unsolicited pictures of some guy's dick is not super tantalizing. I've seen a lot of the dicks online and I've asked to see very few of them. It's never that cool of a sight. I play MMOs in part to get away from that poo poo. If I was queuing in to PVP and saw that pic of a cat boy jerking off I'd think wow, that player is probably an exhausting rear end in a top hat, which is really not the end of the world for me or the other player all things considered but is still a minor damper on the occasion.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Splash Attack posted:

yeah you can link instant portraits to gear sets, so when you swap classes, it'll switch to that portrait. the only downside is that it seems you have to be wearing exactly everything that's was in the portrait when you took it or you just get switched to the default plate.

Plates being lost every time you change glamours makes the whole system basically worthless to me, a person that cycles glamours all the time.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
New raid: We had a 2-1 add split on the last boss, and we split 8-16, and it didn't balance. It was easy to tell because my party was the 8, the others were the 16, and my ui is colour coded so it was obvious. Either someone was bouncing back and forth off my camera, or it doesn't quite add up perfectly based solely on party numbers.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I guess go on the opposite side of your add, but also watch the scale and be prepared to move.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
ive also noticed that not everyone gets tethered, as its definitely skipped me a couple times. but yah the mechanic has enough tells that make it easy enough to double check

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
Yeah, I've seen the mechanic in question straight up skip an entire alliance (happened to me yesterday.)

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Haha... hah... yeah after a few days of ranked crystalline conflict I guess my rank really is the lowest possible bronze. I've never even had a streak long enough to hit the first bronze riser, let alone lose it. At least it's... kind of fun, even with a circa 20% win rate... I think I'm getting too old for this sort of gameplay.

:negative:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Throwing yshtola under the bus was worth it.

Asimo posted:

Haha... hah... yeah after a few days of ranked crystalline conflict I guess my rank really is the lowest possible bronze. I've never even had a streak long enough to hit the first bronze riser, let alone lose it. At least it's... kind of fun, even with a circa 20% win rate... I think I'm getting too old for this sort of gameplay.

if you're solo that's the name of the game really.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm really enjoying CC and it helps that on JP datacenters the number of horny plates is almost 0.

I've not been playing a huge amount but in EU I've not seen any of the stupidly horny plates. My only exposure to them has been this thead and other places on the internet where people post them.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
FINAL FANTASY XIV Materials Usage License Revised

quote:

A revision has been made to the FINAL FANTASY XIV Materials Usage License to change "Answers", "Dragonsong", and "Revolutions" including arranged versions to audio soundtracks that may be utilized.

Nice!

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/kirokumeb/status/1514861307216162822?t=uI5Nd9q0vzTOdXrE-gT6Cw&s=19

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
New PVP good though it often feels like a match of CC is decided entirely on whose comp ended up with more CC. Also remarkable how much a couple of macros with markers and text callouts helps turn the tide... sometimes.

Have given Black Mage, Machinist and Dark Knight a try so far. Black Mage feels good when it goes off but going off is the trick of it, sometimes you're left constantly failing casts because the enemy just stuttered out of your range a fraction before you get the cast off and then boom you get ganked. Sometimes your core combo nukes someone, sometimes it feels like it barely tickles them. Also have no idea why you'd ever push your new Lightning button, if they're in melee range they're probably a Dragoon or a Reaper carving you like at turkey.

Machinist feels good as hell, but I wish they didn't consolidate Drill/Bioblaster/Air Anchor/Chainsaw into one button. Like the one set of abilities they really didn't need to, sucks being stuck on Bioblaster when you can't get in range without feeding. Sniper ult is sick as hell however.

Part of me wonders if the one button combos are being tested here to be worked into PvE eventually. Would be a nice QoL and free up at least some minor space on bars without culling.

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
Been trying to play the game, but found myself inexorably pulled to playing dress-up again. Palom and Porom from FF4 After Years this time.

Also,

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Asimo posted:

It’ll happen. I got to bronze 1 before falling to bronze 2 because of some really bad groups, but then had a good push and made it to silver. Then lost like 5-6 in a row thanks to some REALLY bad groups. Good thing is when you hit a new tier you can’t drop down (you can’t go silver to bronze, at least I didn’t on a bad losing streak). I then got a good run going, got 3 in a row and finished the night at silver 2.

Here’s my suggestion if you want to rank up after playing PVP a lot these past couple days.

- Are you playing DPS? Honestly, don’t. Most people do and when you get into a match where it’s 1 healer or tank and rest DPS and the other party has a healer/tanks/DPS split they usually have a better chance of winning thanks to better party comp. it’s not ALWAYS true as a really good party can make up for it, but I find it’s usually the case. Tanks can save a game by being so hard to kill when things can get unbalanced. If you really, really want to play DPS, there’s some jobs you shouldn’t play. Dancer is one. Dancer sucks, trust me.

- Make call-outs. Did 2 of you die. Spam the retreat option, and run away. especially if the other party is full. It’s better to regroup and fight as a team then stagger and die.

- DO NOT THROW YOURSELF INTO A LOSING FIGNT. Unless they’re literally at your goal point. all you are doing is feeding the team. If most of your team got ganked. Wait until you all revive and then go back off again.

- Use the maps to your advantage. If you really want to play DPS. Some have pushback moves, which you can use to great effect during bomb level. Know when to pop your shield during wind level because some people don’t. When I first did this level, I definitely didn’t realize it and getting caught by that wind can change a match.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The Black Stones posted:

- Are you playing DPS? Honestly, don’t. Most people do and when you get into a match where it’s 1 healer or tank and rest DPS and the other party has a healer/tanks/DPS split they usually have a better chance of winning thanks to better party comp. it’s not ALWAYS true as a really good party can make up for it, but I find it’s usually the case. Tanks can save a game by being so hard to kill when things can get unbalanced. If you really, really want to play DPS, there’s some jobs you shouldn’t play. Dancer is one. Dancer sucks, trust me.

This is a weird and difficult point to recommend, honestly, because one thing I've noticed that's different from the shooters that Crystal Conflict is borrowing from is that, for whatever reason, FFXIV players zero in on the healers way more. Maybe it's the fact they're a healer being right in the targeting information, maybe it's that Frontlines experience has showed them that healers are the biggest menaces, maybe it's that the entire community just has an ingrained hatred of healers for some reason, I've found that a team with only one healer against a team with no healers will normally lose, typically because the healer is kept locked down or outright killed pretty quickly.

It seems to create a weird prisoner's dilemma situation; playing a healer and going for a balanced team comp is correct, unless your opponents decided to do exactly the opposite in which case you're gonna get slaughtered. And honestly, even if it's not, I steer clear of healing in PvP despite maining that in PvE because it is extremely not fun to be the first target all the time.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
from what I played on my Whm I somehow do so much healing even though I don't feel like I cast many actual heals. one hand I had close to 1mil healing done.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Tanks and healers are in a bad spot overall in PvP. WHM is the only viable solo queue healer by a long shot, and WAR is so overpowered that other tanks pale in comparsion. There's a lot of balancing to do, and I hope the 6.11 changes are significant.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Roluth posted:

and WAR is so overpowered that other tanks pale in comparsion.

Wow, they really have made sure that the PvP builds feel more like their PvE forms.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Cleretic posted:

This is a weird and difficult point to recommend, honestly, because one thing I've noticed that's different from the shooters that Crystal Conflict is borrowing from is that, for whatever reason, FFXIV players zero in on the healers way more. Maybe it's the fact they're a healer being right in the targeting information, maybe it's that Frontlines experience has showed them that healers are the biggest menaces, maybe it's that the entire community just has an ingrained hatred of healers for some reason, I've found that a team with only one healer against a team with no healers will normally lose, typically because the healer is kept locked down or outright killed pretty quickly.

It seems to create a weird prisoner's dilemma situation; playing a healer and going for a balanced team comp is correct, unless your opponents decided to do exactly the opposite in which case you're gonna get slaughtered. And honestly, even if it's not, I steer clear of healing in PvP despite maining that in PvE because it is extremely not fun to be the first target all the time.

I highly disagree. That may be true in old PvP. It’s not true anymore. Like, it’s only anecdotal evidence, but I literally just had a match with all DPS as me as tanks, and other party had tank and healer. We got bodied. Other tank never died.

You are under the impression “well this is how old PvP worked so this is how new PvP works.” But as someone new to PvP this isn’t the case. Maybe every single party I get is weird, but the healers aren’t usually targeted. Since the objective is to push the Crystal, people are usually focusing there. If you have a smart healer who is falling back a little, they’re usually not going to get mobbed. If you do have a party that decides to focus on the healer at all costs. Congrats, you probably broke up to chase the healer and now the other 4 members need to be working in perfect lockstep to not get bodied, which, especially if you’re a tank, they now are. A healer and tank working in good tandem will beat a bunch of DPS going “durrr. Push DPS!”

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Roluth posted:

Tanks and healers are in a bad spot overall in PvP. WHM is the only viable solo queue healer by a long shot, and WAR is so overpowered that other tanks pale in comparsion. There's a lot of balancing to do, and I hope the 6.11 changes are significant.

SGE is also quite good but much harder to play.

Also on the note of climbing ranks, that's really the wrong frame of mind to begin with. If you want to get better at the game, sure, there's lots of ways to do that, but you're just going to get frustrated if you see your rank as something you need to grind up like an exp bar.

The whole point of rankings is to put you against similarly skilled players and if that means you stay in Bronze, that's cool - it means you're probably not great but that's not like, a moral judgment and you'd probably have more fun playing against other Bronze players. The system is working correctly!

If the question is "I really like this, I want to get better for my own satisfaction, how do I do that?" you'll naturally start to rank up over time (probably) as you improve. But just trying to make the number go up is a path to hell

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
So Deryk is totally Oschon, right?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

hazardousmouse posted:

So Deryk is totally Oschon, right?

Pretty sure that's his monkey, given the rules laid out in the quest dialogue.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

The Black Stones pointed out the one thing about it being new PvP paradigms, but I also want to point out that healers usually have superior range and self-peel compared to a lot of DPSers in terms of getting people off you, in exchange for worse pure disengage. Mobbing against healers sometimes happens not for some mysterious reason, but because a solo healer will crush a solo DPS just from delaying them long enough from getting their team back for them. The only way a DPS wins that fight is if they have all resources up, such as a MNK full LB combo.

So playing healer is a big recognition of that fact, that mobbing happens cause it's one of the options for dealing with healers that are exposed. Thus, playing as healer has a large positioning component, and a component (admitedly a small one) why the two best healers are WHM and SGE, due to also having good tools for dealing with that (polymorph/group LB stun or Icarus/anti-ranged shielding). Thankfully, you are already incentivized to be running if you see too many people on you, and Guard/Purify/Elixir are powerful enough tools that people have to either overcommit to chasing you, or back off eventually.

Worse comes to worse, you can just play RDM. RDM is not THAT good, but they do have a good middle ground between DPSers' disengage and healers healing output under White Shift.

(Admittedly, part of it is also trained behavior. In old PvP, healers were essentially unkillable unless you actually did have a huge army at your back. Low CD healing will do that. Bit given how few people engaged with old PvP compared to now, that can only have a limited effect).

Roluth posted:

As noted, SGE has been seeing good success, but is significantly harder to play. AST suffers more from the fact that they require more coordinated play; it's really not clear if they're actually bad or not. As people learn to save some resources for when AST LB is ready, they'll start to get more improvement, even without balance changes. SCH is more that it's not clear if non-bursty support requires specific comps yet. The disparities aren't actually THAT large amongst the healers, at least initially.

Tank disparity is a bit bigger, but DRK is generally considered to at least be pretty usable. GNB may just be that they need to clean up the Juncture system a bit more to offer more baseline mitigation, and PLD is just that they're more annoying than outright threatening and could use some damage tuneups (especially given their LB's nature).

It's worth noting, again, that early impressions aren't always clear. Stuff that is easier to play like WAR will always seem overpowered in early days when people haven't cleaned themselves up.

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 15, 2022

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

Pretty sure that's his monkey, given the rules laid out in the quest dialogue.

I had that thought immediately after posting. They both start with O as well, which could be a red herring.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Heavensward LP learns the mysterious arts of the Bard so Kheris can play in a concert without looking like an idiot. I'm not abusing my Warrior of Light powers, shut up!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

This reminds me: are there any decent sources for finding transcripts of this sort of time-locked incidental dialogue? I've missed a lot (all of the NPC side stories at the Waking Sands, the stuff after 2.55 when you're a fugitive, surely other stuff) and have had no luck tracking it down. NG+ doesn't seem to let you do NPC small talk.

afaik NG+ does include NPC small talk, at least I remember it doing so when I last ran it. Certainly you can see all the various drama that unfolds in the Waking Sands/Rising Stones doing NG+.

There are a few NPCs you can't interact with in NG+, but I believe that's generally just certain world NPCs where you can ask about the location you're currently in. Hopefully if I'm wrong someone will correct me, because it's been some months since I finished my NG+ run.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 15, 2022

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

AncientSpark posted:

Tank disparity is a bit bigger, but DRK is generally considered to at least be pretty usable. GNB may just be that they need to clean up the Juncture system a bit more to offer more baseline mitigation, and PLD is just that they're more annoying than outright threatening and could use some damage tuneups (especially given their LB's nature).

DRK seems good. I’ve fought against them and they seem to have an ability where their health can drop but they don’t die even without shields. This can be pretty useful as I’ve seen my entire party focus fire only to have the DRK stall long enough for more of their party to come back. The DRK has to be really good to be effective though, as I got paired up with one, (2 tank, DPS vs. Tank/Healer/DPS) and he died a bunch and never seemed to be able to hold to line well. WAR is def the best though. I always groan when I see the other team has one because it’s a fight between who can stun and help distract the best. I’m definitely not up to the level as some WAR’s I’ve fought, but I’d like to think I’m okay.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Is their search comment "I showed you my dick, plz respond"?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Can anyone explain the aymeric in a blue elephant costume meme

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Magil Zeal posted:

afaik NG+ does include NPC small talk, at least I remember it doing so when I last ran it. Certainly you can see all the various drama that unfolds in the Waking Sands/Rising Stones doing NG+.

There are a few NPCs you can't interact with in NG+, but I believe that's generally just certain world NPCs where you can ask about the location you're currently in. Hopefully if I'm wrong someone will correct me, because it's been some months since I finished my NG+ run.

You cannot talk to Momodi on NG+, I know that, and she has dialogue after every little arc in the game. Like it ends up being a shitton of character for her, her reactions to poo poo etc :(

I imagine the other city mentors are the same and it sucks. NG+ Is almost perfect.

E: this is interesting. With the amount of followers Zep has its a decent sample size really

https://twitter.com/Xepla/status/1514971881442578433?t=EQVUR_VRc899-AjlyFHGhA&s=19

Saving you a click, yes and very yes outnumber no by a lot at this point in time

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Can anyone explain the aymeric in a blue elephant costume meme

https://imgur.com/a/tm1EkOo