Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

NMS is pretty decent but it's crazy that after all these years of development they've never improved the lovely UI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wobbledogs - Y/N? Looks wild

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvAwB7ogkik

still cracks me up

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

haldolium posted:

yes. It is a bland and boring game with few joyous moments too far apart and after all the years still the worst UI, bad performance. Good sound design though.

It's great to chill to.
Find a decent trippy planet, set up a house, and sit back and enjoy the audio/visual ambiance.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

NMS has some cool poo poo and the different biomes can be a lot more varied and interesting if you mod it. The fundamental gameplay never clicked with me though. The game's intention is for the player never to return to a planet after they have explored it and that's map system sucks for keeping points of interest. Which, well I get it, but for me there's no point in exploring if I'm never going to return. It also makes the system for naming plants and animals weirdly pointless.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

sorry, that was misleading, i don't even give a poo poo about the "devs lied! they lied about everything!" aspect of it, it's just that at its inception no man's sky was a "punch trees to get wood" survival sim and i hate those
Last I checked it's still that. Your mining beam needs fuel so you need to mine rocks to get mining fuel so you can mine fule for your different other mining beam to mine other stuff to mine things to blah blah blah. I fell for people going "it's good now!" combined with a 50% off sale and it was not. They keep adding stuff to do later but the starting point is still bullshit and I hate the inventory system.

Also I have seen more interesting terrain driving to the grocery store than I ever have in the game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

happyhippy posted:

It's great to chill to.
Find a decent trippy planet, set up a house, and sit back and enjoy the audio/visual ambiance.

if i want to sit back and enjoy the ambiance of watching hosed up alien critters walk back and forth i'll just log in to the shrimp 24/7 channel instead
https://twitch.tv/shrimps247

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Eurogamer managed to snag an interview with Phil Fish: https://www.eurogamer.net/fez-at-10-years-old-phil-fish-resurfaces-for-a-rare-interview

drat, I wish Fez 2 wasn't cancelled.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Wasn't Fez2 cancelled not since people didn't like Fez (which was great), but because of some drama/tantrum with the Dev?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Serephina posted:

Wasn't Fez2 cancelled not since people didn't like Fez (which was great), but because of some drama/tantrum with the Dev?

Fill Fish is a giant manbaby.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

He announced his retirement a few times before it stuck. If I recall correctly his company got hacked as part of Gamergate poo poo and got him doxxed which was one of the driving forces that got him to quit the second/third time? That poo poo sucks and not even Phil Fish deserved it.

Also, separate to that, he liked throwing stupid hot takes out on twitter but had extremely thin skin about getting any sort of pushback or backlash to his stupid hot takes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hardspace: Shipbreaker is finally set to hit 1.0 on May 24.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMwA5txM9Nc

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hwurmp posted:

Hardspace: Shipbreaker is finally set to hit 1.0 on May 24.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMwA5txM9Nc

There's a lot of content there, but didn't this game only hit "finished" status because the devs basically went "We don't know what to do with this game.... so I guess were done."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'll just be glad to get back to my lo-fi shipbreaks to study and relax to, without any more worry of burning out on the drat game before it's ever finished.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Artelier posted:

Wobbledogs - Y/N? Looks wild

It gives me serious Catz/Dogz/Oddballz/Creatures vibes and I'm resisting every impulse that 13 year old me has to not buy it immediately.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Superanos posted:

The Moonlight app (and Nvidia Shield streaming) can change your resolution to 4K for the duration of the streaming session, then change back when you are done playing. Moonlight is officially supported on Android TV, but there's a fan-ported LG WebOS version as well.

I use Moonlight on an Nvidia Shield TV regularly, it is a nice way to play. You can't get HDR this way though! At the moment there is no way to get HDR through in-home streaming, your only option is a mega long HDMI cable.

Thanks! I'll check that out... A fancy schmancy 50' HDMI 2.1 optical cable is much cheaper than a Shield and seems like it would work so maybe that would be the best solution as long as I figure out something for the mouse and keyboard.

Edit: Seems to be some confusion over which cables will actually deliver 48Gbps over that distance, not sure if that's worked out of the last year or not - any particular recommended brand?

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 14, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There's a lot of content there, but didn't this game only hit "finished" status because the devs basically went "We don't know what to do with this game.... so I guess were done."
I don't know how much credit I want to give them here. A lot of it is the community whipping themself into a froth about the infinite possiblity of things that were never going to translate to the engine. From a systems perspective they really just refined what was there and new ships became old ships but in a different shape.

I think by the time EA money slowed down they knew what they wanted to do with it and it just didn't align with what people thought the game was building toward.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zedprime posted:

I don't know how much credit I want to give them here. A lot of it is the community whipping themself into a froth about the infinite possiblity of things that were never going to translate to the engine. From a systems perspective they really just refined what was there and new ships became old ships but in a different shape.

I think by the time EA money slowed down they knew what they wanted to do with it and it just didn't align with what people thought the game was building toward.

What did people think the game was building toward?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

zoux posted:

What did people think the game was building toward?
I think the 2 main avenues of sour grapes were
1. mammoth ship sizes evoking people's favorite sci fi megaships or pictures of broken freighters on beaches
2. De-energizing systems being more complicated than "turn off the coolant and you have 90 seconds to dispose of the reactor"

I'm in the 2 camp but 1 was always wishful thinking basically incompatible with the engine and 2 was always going to be a tall order to make not arbitrary, pointless busywork.

The games fun and in a good state so nearly all of this grousing is EA side effects of playing a sandbox for too long through development. It's just weird that they started with this cool rear end tear a ship apart game and somehow Teardown, a simple speed run heist physics sandbox, seems somehow more creative by the end of either of their dev runs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I probably played it for 15-20 hours a year ago, I stopped because of the progress resets and to avoid burnout. Sounds like a good job that I did! I'll take another look at it on release, it's a great podcast game.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I find it disappointing, it should have way more ship types. Hopefully modders get ahold of it and we get some cool poo poo.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Does it have any cool scenarios like we need you to retrieve the black box from this enemy ship and scuttle it before their actual reinforcements show up within 3 minutes and start bombarding it and possibly killing you

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Konami just put out a weird 1 vs All, AI Sherlock vs AI Moriarty, multiplayer whodunit.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1491710/CRIMESIGHT/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5RlgntcN44

I don't even know what the gently caress but it sounds cool.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played Hardspace for 8 or so hours when it came out in EA and went back after an update not too long ago and just.. i dunno it didn't hold my attention like I thought it would. I'll probably give it another earnest try once it comes out of EA since I won't have to worry about wipes or new features being added anymore, that definitely weighed on me as I was playing it the first few times.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I stopped playing Hardspace Shipbreaker when the game told me that ships were going to start having ghosts in them and it became a weird survival horror thing, which might not actually be as common in the release version but at the time I played it was the only way that ship difficulty progressed.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the new monkey island's BGs look good, basically 90s Lucasarts style BGs but in high-res

it does kind of feel like it's set up for very tweeny puppet animation like in the trailer... hopefully they do hand animate it even if the characters are vector lineless art; MI deserves it

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Isn't that kind of how game dev works in general though

You do everything on the backlog / planned feature list, and then if you don't run into any glaring game design issues that require you to rebuild some system or other you're done. Then you just polish it up, fix whatever bugs you have time to fix and send it to the cd printer

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just finished Elderborn, and I'm not sure how to feel about it. There were definitely cool moments, and concept-wise it's right up my alley, but I never really got into the rhythm. I was playing on Normal (the lowest difficulty) too, I can only imagine how hard the higher difficulties would have kicked my rear end.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Zereth posted:

They keep adding stuff to do later but the starting point is still bullshit and I hate the inventory system.

It's even worse than that, because they give the illusion that you need to just get past the rough old stuff to get to the cool new stuff, but the new stuff uses the exact same really bad loops and really bad design as the base game. The updates make for good trailers and patch notes, and they're even better at drumming up positive PR. But each update is stapled onto the base game without a lot of thought or care, almost like you'd expect from a large Fallout or Elder Scrolls mod. The game itself is largely the same.

The most cynical read I can make on it is that they learned the absolute wrong lesson from their launch. "Yeah it was bad to create misleading marketing and trick people into thinking our game is much more than it is... but we're also really good at it!"

But I can't be that cynical about it because they're releasing stuff for free and they could have taken the money and run. They've stumbled their way into a non-sub MMO model (ala Guild Wars 2) where they keep the price high (even with discounts) and then tempt people into paying what is essentially launch pricing to buy into the new stuff years later. It's obviously working for them

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just as a PSA, Insurmountable [Steam] is free on Epic for the next few days and appears to have gone through a fairly large overhaul that just released today. I just watched a video of someone playing this and thought it looked neat but had no idea it was free on epic. It's kind of a strategy mountain climbing roguelike thing and I have no idea if it's any good but figured I'd put it out there in case anyone was looking to buy it on sale. I'll prob post some thoughts on it once I give it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37BzE-sHlxY

edit: I've played 15 minutes of it and it seems... fine!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 14, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1514646107434987532

lmao

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

Just finished Elderborn, and I'm not sure how to feel about it. There were definitely cool moments, and concept-wise it's right up my alley, but I never really got into the rhythm. I was playing on Normal (the lowest difficulty) too, I can only imagine how hard the higher difficulties would have kicked my rear end.
I enjoyed it a lot, even on the higher difficulties, although at that point it's mostly a matter of finding a weapon you like and mastering its timing. Apart from unlocking stuff, I don't think I ever let go of the spear in Act 2.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

deep dish peat moss posted:

I stopped playing Hardspace Shipbreaker when the game told me that ships were going to start having ghosts in them and it became a weird survival horror thing, which might not actually be as common in the release version but at the time I played it was the only way that ship difficulty progressed.

man, what.
is that a halloween thing

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fuligin posted:

man, what.
is that a halloween thing
Actually, yes.

I'd prefer ghosts because its little glowing red AI nodes the size of a soda can you're meant to incinerate with your laser cutter which disables the ghost in the machine and lets you get on with your day without random cycling of objects. And for a laugh they are usually stuck on things very incompatible with laser cutters.

I think during the original Halloween event where they were introduced they were in every ship past the tutorial tiers but they're very avoidable these days.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

:words: Insurmountable

I played some more of this and I'm actually really enjoying this game! If you told me this was based on a board game I'd believe you because it feels very much like it. You have to conserve energy/oxygen/sanity while climbing and certain terrain has movement penalties/random events that can come up, so you want to plan out your route carefully. You level up while climbing the mountain and unlock temp buffs that go away at the end of a run, but when you complete a mission you get permanent bonuses to apply between runs and unlock gear that will make certain aspects easier in the subsequent runs. There's three characters, starting out with the climber but there's a scientist and a journalist to unlock and some kind of a plot connecting everything together (Spoiler: time loops) so I'm kinda curious to see where it goes. There's 3 difficulties too so I imagine the harder ones are going to be significantly harder.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
X-Com 2 is also free from The Epic Store. I absolutely loved it.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Xcom 3 when

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Chimera Squad wasn't enough. I need that sick bullshit, I need that proper :xcom:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Propaganda Hour posted:

Chimera Squad wasn't enough. I need that sick bullshit, I need that proper :xcom:

I could never get into chimera squad. When does it get good?

I didn't like X-com 2 at first with the whole mobile base thing, but when you get the hang of it plays really well. The expansions also add a ton of pants making GBS threads moments that are just great. The rewards unbalance the game, but if you're the kind of player that like being super curb-stompey at the end of the game, they're a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Re: Phil Fish:

He retired from gaming and canceled Fez 2 for a number of reasons, but IIRC what broke the camel's back was a game journalist getting ahold of him and being like "what do you think about [public issue]" and phil was like "I don't have an opinion" and the journo getting pissy and being like "as a public figure, you are obligated to share your views about things" and phil was like "the gently caress I am, suck my dick you fuckman, Fez 2 is canceled"

Phil was absolutely being more of an rear end in a top hat than the journo from an interpersonal perspective, but the journo also wouldn't take no for an answer when asking for comment, so he can eat it