Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

tehinternet posted:

Not gonna lie, I’d be thrilled to hear a “very diverse group of totally not NATO personnel” has appeared to serve in the defense efforts or to totally not operate NATO equipment
Little Blue Men?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AJA posted:

Oh, we got all types! Bug, Dragon, Electric, Fighting, Fire, Flying, Ghost, Grass, Ground, Ice, Normal, Poison, Psychic, Rock, and Water.

Weird we somehow don't have any Steel types, you'd think we'd start there.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Elotana posted:

They're setting the population up for full reserve mobilization

What would full mobilization of the Russian Military look like exactly? I think they still have some absurd amount of manpower in reserve but would that include armor and transports too? Or have they already used up anything that would actually be of practical use to the war effort?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

What would full mobilization of the Russian Military look like exactly? I think they still have some absurd amount of manpower in reserve but would that include armor and transports too? Or have they already used up anything that would actually be of practical use to the war effort?

Hard to tell other than it would be a poo poo show to end all poo poo shows

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Also, the Moskva wasn't modern--it was probably approaching the end of its service life anyway; there would be no point in investing the kind of resources that would be necessary to raise it and repair it into a 43-year-old Soviet cruiser, even if it were possible.

Whoa hey the Moskva just had an expensive retrofit in...2020? It was supposed to serve until the 2040's. This isn't accurate. Russia has a major tactical (but not strategic) loss here.

"We didn't want that battlecruiser anyway."- Oh yes they very much did. This is a painful loss.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Also, the Moskva wasn't modern--it was probably approaching the end of its service life anyway; there would be no point in investing the kind of resources that would be necessary to raise it and repair it into a 43-year-old Soviet cruiser, even if it were possible.

Moskva was recently refurbished and was expected to be in service until 2040. At this point it's sunk cost :haw:

e: I should add that even if Moskva was just damaged by fire and some flooding and was able to limb back to Sevastopol, repairs would take over a year if there weren't sanctions in place that made it much harder than before to replace the more delicate electronics in radars etc. Procuring a replacement will also take many, many years and if Moskva was expected to serve for two more decades then I doubt they had the replacement even on drawing table yet. Black Sea Fleet is hosed.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 15, 2022

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Whoa hey the Moskva just had an expensive retrofit in...2020? It was supposed to serve until the 2040's. This isn't accurate. Russia has a major tactical (but not strategic) loss here.

"We didn't want that battlecruiser anyway."- Oh yes they very much did. This is a painful loss.

Again, I'm not saying it wasn't a valuable target for Ukraine, or a big loss for Russia. What I'm saying is that it wouldn't make sense to raise and repair it, even if it would be possible to do so. It would make much more sense to build a new ship instead (assuming Russia could afford to do either of those options--spending money on cruisers is arguably not the best use of Russia's defense budget anyway). Raising and repairing it would mean going to vast expense to raise it, transport it somewhere it could be repaired, going to even greater expense to repair it, spending years in dry dock, and winding up with . . . an outdated cruiser that might last another 10 years before needing to be replaced anyway.

Nenonen posted:

Moskva was recently refurbished and was expected to be in service until 2040. At this point it's sunk cost :haw:

Yes, and now they have a 43-year-old hull at the bottom of the Black Sea.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 15, 2022

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

All of the battleships raised from Pearl Harbor were significantly younger than the Moskva is now--around 20-27 years old compared to around 43 years old.

To be fair we have older active flagships than Moskva in the US. Blue Ridge in the Seventh Fleet is 53 years old. We don't even have plans to replace it for nearly another 20 years. The difference is we actually took steps to modernize and service it, at which point a working hull is a working hull. If you keep the electronics up to date well.....who gives a poo poo if it does the job? The Moskva being old isn't the problem, innately. It's that they haven't done the work to keep it modern or used it effectively. At which point even the newest class in the world will still get smoked if you are a moron.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's one of the 6 ships the Russians had that would be the center of a battlegroup, the others being their one aircraft carrier, the two Kirov-class battlecruisers and their other 2 Slava-class cruisers. With the loss of the Moskva they lost the center of their Black Sea Fleet battlegroup, which degrades their force posture in the region (Black Sea, Mediterranean Sea, Sea of Azov) dramatically.

This is probably a strategic loss as it cripples their ability to threaten Odessa, which should free up some Ukrainian forces or at least allow Ukraine to prioritize other forces when it comes to distributing the weapons they get.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

They have enough guns and tanks to equip about as many troops as they could ever want, but the quality of that equipment will start from below what they're already using, and go down from there.

And much more importantly, the quality of the new troops will also start from below what they have and proceed downwards. Considering the clown-college army they're already using, there's a solid chance a rapidly mobilized army of Russia would be more dangerous to Russia than to anyone else.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yes, and now they have a 43-year-old hull at the bottom of the Black Sea.

The new ships that Russia wants to build aren't going to be around for a long time. Age isn't something that is a problem when it comes to military hardware. The 1911 and Browning M2 are nearly 100 years old but they're still pumped out and modernized. Why? Because they are fine pieces of machinery that do exactly what they're meant to do. Just look at the AK-47. It's also very old, but it's cheap to make, reliable, and easy to use. That's why it's so good.

The age of a ship doesn't matter if you can keep it up to date with the latest systems and protocols. That's why it was retrofitted in 2020 and meant to be in service until the 2040's.

This isn't something they can just easily replace in a couple years. This is literally comparable to the United States losing a super-carrier. It's the flagship of the fleet in the black sea. That's a big deal and a big cost.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 15, 2022

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The new ships that Russia wants to build aren't going to be around for a long time. Age isn't something that is a problem when it comes to military hardware. The 1911 and Browning M2 are nearly 100 years old but they're still pumped out and modernized. Why? Because they are fine pieces of machinery that do exactly what they're meant to do. The age of a ship doesn't matter if you keep it up to date with the latest systems and protocols. That's why it was retrofitted in 2020 and meant to be in service until the 2040's.

This isn't something they can just easily replace in a couple years. This is literally comparable to the United States losing a super-carrier. It's the flagship of the fleet in the black sea. That's a big deal and a big cost.

I'm not sure what you're arguing about--I'm not disagreeing that it's a big loss.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm not sure what you're arguing about--I'm not disagreeing that it's a big loss.

Sure. I'm just pointing this out because you're talking about the age of the ship and how Russia will eventually replace it- but it's really not that easy. I just want it to be clear to other readers who might not immediately understand that hey, no, this is a huge humiliating loss.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Tomberforce posted:

I'm not the best at photoshop but couldn't resist

What happened to Photoshop Phriday? and the front page of SA?

This would be prime material for a PP.

Kraftwerk posted:

A while earlier a US Jet landed somewhere in Europe that gets used exclusively for clandestine operations.

Can we assume the CIA is sending ex green berets to do their thing?

Probably just some CIA guys going on vacation, completely on their own time and volition.

Chicken Butt posted:

Imagine how frustrated they must be that their mission this time is to *prevent* a foreign government from being overthrown. “Aww man, why can’t we Allende this Zelensky guy?? Can we Allende him just a *little* bit?”

The CIA did a ton of propping up foreign governments to prevent (or try to) them from being overthrown, too, e.g. the king of Libya.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 15, 2022

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Regarding Pearl Harbor recovery, it’s worth remembering that the US was the wealthiest and most industrialized country in the world at the time and could afford to throw practically unlimited resources at whatever they felt like.

Russia is, uh, not that.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/gp_ukraine/status/1514841911772725254?s=21&t=rMG6V2VQFfOK8d3odf2fjQ

No clue on the accuracy of the numbers, but it gives you an idea of what type of charges Ukraine is looking into.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Sure. I'm just pointing this out because you're talking about the age of the ship and how Russia will eventually replace it- but it's really not that easy. I just want it to be clear to other readers who might not immediately understand that hey, no, this is a huge humiliating loss.

Totally agree there, and if I had to guess I'd guess that it's unlikely to be replaced any time in the near future--Russia hasn't built a ship larger than a frigate in a couple decades, and there were reasons for that even before the sanctions.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Russia really likes to keep naval ships around for as long as possible. They have a Submarine salvage ship thats still in service and was built in 19 loving 12. It served in the Czars navy, the Soviet navy, and now the Russian navy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_salvage_ship_Kommuna

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The new ships that Russia wants to build aren't going to be around for a long time. Age isn't something that is a problem when it comes to military hardware. The 1911 and Browning M2 are nearly 100 years old but they're still pumped out and modernized. Why? Because they are fine pieces of machinery that do exactly what they're meant to do. Just look at the AK-47. It's also very old, but it's cheap to make, reliable, and easy to use. That's why it's so good.

The age of a ship doesn't matter if you can keep it up to date with the latest systems and protocols. That's why it was retrofitted in 2020 and meant to be in service until the 2040's.

Actually Russia can't build the ships it wants to build because the Soviet drydock in which all the capital class ships were built is in Mykolaiv, which is why their new carriers only exist on paper. The loss of capability after the collapse of the USSR in the area of shipbuilding is easily underestimated, but outside the US capital ship building basically ceased to exist until the China's carrier program started to take off, whose first aircraft carrier, the Liaoning was built on a rotting, never completed, Kuznetsov-class sold by Ukraine.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

NATO sabotaged the ship by hitting the crew with the incompetence gun

They got lucky. Or unlucky depending on how you look at it. Could have been one of these:

https://allthatsinteresting.com/gay-bomb

Be gay; do war crimes.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Germany continuing to show its entire rear end
https://twitter.com/vonderburchard/status/1514837738633191429

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Personally I think Russia a bit pre-occupied at this moment to attack NATO you spineless coward

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

“SURPRISING development:”

Pffffffffft…

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Twitter's having a normal one over the Finland comments Peskov made back on Monday
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1514754122506985473?s=20&t=uPv8_PEVlBIKTVAubkTJ0A
I guess this is still correct?

CommieGIR posted:

They can claim that all they want, they don't have the units and even moreso, even pre-NATO membership it would likely be treated as a trigger for NATO. And they know this.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

https://motor.ru/news/lada-simplified-13-04-2022.htm

Because of sanctions, Russia will start making simplified versions of Lada. They will be built without airbags, ABS, ESP and satellite navigation. Whether or not they will get catalytic converters is still a mystery.

This is great news for all of us Russian dashcam video aficionados.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

But where will they get dashcams from?

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
Just pull the bandage off all at once and bring back the Trebant.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Trabant was from DDR. I'm surprised they can't source ABS, ESP and airbag modules from China.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

alex314 posted:

Trabant was from DDR. I'm surprised they can't source ABS, ESP and airbag modules from China.

Doing that would cost more money than just leaving those things off and pocketing the money they used to pay for them.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

AJA posted:

Oh, we got all types! Bug, Dragon, Electric, Fighting, Fire, Flying, Ghost, Grass, Ground, Ice, Normal, Poison, Psychic, Rock, and Water.

You forgot Fairy :gay:

therobit posted:

They got lucky. Or unlucky depending on how you look at it. Could have been one of these:

https://allthatsinteresting.com/gay-bomb

Be gay; do war crimes.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

raifield posted:

Just pull the bandage off all at once and bring back the Trebant.

Hey now, I've spent most of my childhood in an amazing butter colour Trabant 601 universal traveling everywhere this side of the iron curtain. I can still smell it.
Here have a Trabant quality control video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIAYxWCXF8A

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

alex314 posted:

That's the effect secondary sanctions have. Basically, if you do stuff that is prohibited by (primary) US sanctions, such as selling microchips to Russia, your business will get sanctioned. Therefore even firms that are in "neutral" countries will have to decide whether they want to export to ~the West~ or Russia, in which case Russia usually will lose.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Interesting Twitter thread on the sinking of the Russian ship.

https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1514701344266928131?t=H0rQWYOp3FJHurixlDkdDQ&s=19

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

I'm one of those assholes who thinks the west deferring to Russia's red lines is largely necessary but even I'm laughing my rear end off at this guy's self-serving reasoning. Like, how do you cite the concerns of nebulous "NATO allies" as a smokescreen for his own position when Stoltenberg is on record saying that the distinction between offensive and defensive weapons is meaningless in a defensive war. Hell, the Czech Republic has already sent tanks!

And the influx of heavy weapons is going to be restrained by the stock Ukrainian forces are trained for, in any case. To quote from the article
"One potential solution being considered would have eastern European countries send Soviet-era tanks to Ukraine in exchange for more modern tanks from Germany or other NATO allies.

In theory, the proposal would allow Ukrainian troops to more easily use and maintain the equipment, which is identical to Ukrainian tanks, while giving NATO’s eastern flank a military upgrade. Meanwhile, the military alliance would avoid antagonizing Russia by directly sending its modern tanks to Ukraine."

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1514698388926873604

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PerilPastry posted:

I'm one of those assholes who thinks the west deferring to Russia's red lines is largely necessary but even I'm laughing my rear end off at this guy's self-serving reasoning. Like, how do you cite the concerns of nebulous "NATO allies" as a smokescreen for his own position when Stoltenberg is on record saying that the distinction between offensive and defensive weapons is meaningless in a defensive war. Hell, the Czech Republic has already sent tanks!

And the influx of heavy weapons is going to be restrained by the stock Ukrainian forces are trained for, in any case. To quote from the article
"One potential solution being considered would have eastern European countries send Soviet-era tanks to Ukraine in exchange for more modern tanks from Germany or other NATO allies.

In theory, the proposal would allow Ukrainian troops to more easily use and maintain the equipment, which is identical to Ukrainian tanks, while giving NATO’s eastern flank a military upgrade. Meanwhile, the military alliance would avoid antagonizing Russia by directly sending its modern tanks to Ukraine."

It's very 'I hope my domestic audience remains disengaged on foreign affairs enough not to realise that I'm saying the opposite of what everyone else in NATO is saying'.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/hergravce/status/1514886706058641413?t=zfXOi_hCfnFMI0Dtz-EWGQ&s=19

Arranging for a small fleet of construction vehicles to do "would be a shame if something happened to it" to a memorial, very normal behaviour

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/hergravce/status/1514886706058641413?t=zfXOi_hCfnFMI0Dtz-EWGQ&s=19

Arranging for a small fleet of construction vehicles to do "would be a shame if something happened to it" to a memorial, very normal behaviour

loving DO IT YOU COWARDS

Go on, piss on the one thing commemorating the atrocities you fuckers tried to sweep under the rug, the effects of which we still feel in the polish politics today. Also the visit there was the reason for the Smolensk flight, come on, piss off the Polish people more.

Oh and while you're there, please document the whole thing and broadcast it to the whole world. Amazing.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's not that dumb of an idea from Kremlin side: there's a ton of Red Army memorials in Poland, so they count on some retaliatory action that would feed into internal propaganda. "We had 600.000 of our brave troops die liberating them, and now they desecrate their memory!"
I've lost some sanity checking loving tvp.info site, but it doesn't look like those fuckwits picked it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

alex314 posted:

It's not that dumb of an idea from Kremlin side: there's a ton of Red Army memorials in Poland, so they count on some retaliatory action that would feed into internal propaganda. "We had 600.000 of our brave troops die liberating them, and now they desecrate their memory!"
I've lost some sanity checking loving tvp.info site, but it doesn't look like those fuckwits picked it up.

After some further digging, this apprently is in response to "demolishing of soviet monuments in Poland":

https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1514894841309708295?t=P5S55FX0Svd5nu80GocNhQ&s=19

"Resolve the Katyn issue once and for all." ah so we're back to "final solution" I see.