Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

Told my boss at the staff meeting that I was feeling overwhelmed because the procedures for recipes keep changing.

Came in today to a completely rearranged kitchen and not one but two changes in procedure for the simplest loving recipe we offer, making it a process that now requires substantially more babysitting. :psypop:

That's too much bullshit to put up with in a kitchen.

My processes change quarterly and that's in turbomachine engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Told my boss at the staff meeting that I was feeling overwhelmed because the procedures for recipes keep changing.

Came in today to a completely rearranged kitchen and not one but two changes in procedure for the simplest loving recipe we offer, making it a process that now requires substantially more babysitting. :psypop:

no one wants to work anymore

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

I'm a chef and there's rarely ever a good reason to change an established recipe/process.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol it took me a while to realize many of my IT coworkers were socially dysfunctional and hate talking to end users. I know that's nothing new and an old stereotype but my manager was telling me other depts kept mentioning they liked how I would answer their emails promptly and didn't mind talking on the phone which I guess put me in the top 1%?

Part of it for me was that I could explain how to do things to people where they could both understand it and not feel like I was calling them an idiot. Referring to processes or UI elements as "counterintuitive" did a lot of heavy lifting for me.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Found out today that our company's process for dealing with computers that have possibly been hacked is to tell the user to... Leave it on their home network for weeks while the security uses it as a honey pot. Also they don't tell us and use a completely different ticketing system that in no way looks like our tickets, so when the user asks us for a new PC they'll give us a ticket number that sounds completely made up! :bravo:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cthulu Carl posted:

Found out today that our company's process for dealing with computers that have possibly been hacked is to tell the user to... Leave it on their home network for weeks while the security uses it as a honey pot. Also they don't tell us and use a completely different ticketing system that in no way looks like our tickets, so when the user asks us for a new PC they'll give us a ticket number that sounds completely made up! :bravo:

Don't residential ISPs lock down internet service for customers serving up malware?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Zil posted:

Don't residential ISPs lock down internet service for customers serving up malware?

Possibly? Either way, my team settled in the process of "gently caress it, take it into the office and put it on the network, because some user will do it anyway."

The process before we got bought was "turn that poo poo off, yank the battery, and generally handle it like nuclear waste to pass it to Info Sec to quarantine it in arcane wards and sigils."

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

pile of brown posted:

I'm a chef and there's rarely ever a good reason to change an established recipe/process.

I’m not a chef, and this reasoning is constantly used to justify not changing things that are clearly completely loving stupid at my work.

“There’s a process” is something I hear daily when I question why something has gone badly wrong and why we didn’t do something differently when it was obvious what was happening

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Scientastic posted:

I’m not a chef, and this reasoning is constantly used to justify not changing things that are clearly completely loving stupid at my work.

“There’s a process” is something I hear daily when I question why something has gone badly wrong and why we didn’t do something differently when it was obvious what was happening

The comeback to that is "well the process is broken, if your recipe keeps making burnt cookies, it's not the baker's fault"

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous

pile of brown posted:

In this case, I can’t find one. We were doing chocolate chip cookies by first making and freezing the dough, then baking that dough on a daily basis so cookies were fresh every morning. Now we’re just baking the whole batch at once and freezing the baked cookies. It’s stupid, it takes up more freezer space, I’m pretty sure the cookies aren’t going to taste as good, and my boss gave no goddamn reason for the change.

And as I was leaving, my boss says “I know you don’t want to do any new recipes but how about if we try a completely new pie and a new scone recipe this weekend?”

My brain feels like it went through a cheese grater.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Scientastic posted:

I said rarely, because sometimes there is a good reason to change a recipe or process, and when there is, I do. Usually though it's someone who is lazy and doesn't want to do something tedious so they create an inferior process instead.

I already tested the recipe and streamlined it for production, it's a rare case when a cook with 2 years experience can improve it.

That said, I do always welcome input from my team that interacts with the recipes/pickup multiple times a day, sometimes they do find something I hadn't seen.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 12, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Why not cook a 1 cu ft cookie to save space, freeze it for longevity, and carve smaller cookies off it as needed?

*taps eyeball*

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Outrail posted:

Why not cook a 1 cu ft cookie to save space, freeze it for longevity, and carve smaller cookies off it as needed?

*taps eyeball*

You could be the person to invent cookie shawarma!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Volmarias posted:

You could be the person to invent cookie shawarma!

I think I could get high enough to make this seem like a fantastic idea.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Outrail posted:

I think I could get high enough to make this seem like a fantastic idea.

The only thing stopping this from happening is you

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Employee appreciation pizza is the worst kind of pizza.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sanctum posted:

Why because it is always from the cheapest place imaginable and is always cold by the time it gets to the office?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
One of the benefits of living in a state with Costco. Their pizza is cheap and amazing.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Jelly posted:

One of the benefits of living in a state with Costco. Their pizza is cheap and amazing.

I like those coffee machines they have in some food courts. $1 for a decent latte, heck yeah.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I like those coffee machines they have in some food courts. $1 for a decent latte, heck yeah.
The food court at the one in Lynnwood, WA is so awesome. First, it's outside so you don't need a membership, then it's all automated by kiosk so you don't have to wait in lines or deal with anybody. You just pay, wait for them to call your number, and enjoy your delicious hot dog / pizza / churro. Barely interaction with any actual human beings at all.

I should go grab a hot dog soon, making myself reminisce.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'd gently caress it if they'd pay me enough

I'd find a way

Buddy...

e:

Zil posted:

Why because it is always from the cheapest place imaginable and is always cold by the time it gets to the office?

And it's always that ultra thin cardboard crust type that they cut into squares instead of slices :gonk:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 13, 2022

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Sanctum posted:

One place I worked tried to pull that poo poo with like Dominoes, I told them we were ordering from the *good* pizza place even if it cost more.
It was a way better time.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Buddy...

e:

And it's always that ultra thin cardboard crust type that they cut into squares instead of slices :gonk:

Thin crust is the best crust Pizza and luckily we have enough higher end pizza places near our office that one is always an option for lunch.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

"Please note, the social gathering will now be occurring on April 21st. It's still out back by the dumpsters! Please no contractors, employees only!"

I have attained different employment and will not be able to attend this amazing get together. I am hopeful one of my former co-workers will light a dumpster or two on fire to really set the ambiance and mood of the place.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lol found mail on my desk this morning no one had bothered to deliver until now, glad this correspondence from August 2021 wasn’t critical. I don’t mind walking somewhere to pick it up but concerning admin didn’t mention it had arrived.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Takes No Damage posted:

Buddy...

e:

squares instead of slices :gonk:

:catstare:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I have always found people appreciate a make your own fajita bar way more than pizza ordered from the worst place in your area.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

pile of brown posted:

Surely the reason, "I'll give them something to complain about!" is ample justification?

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
Today I came in and not only is the dishwasher broken, the plumber is here and turning the water on and off. In related news it’s day 2 of devoting most of my mental energy to not having a full neurodivergent You hosed My Entire Routine meltdown at work.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

In this case, I can’t find one. We were doing chocolate chip cookies by first making and freezing the dough, then baking that dough on a daily basis so cookies were fresh every morning. Now we’re just baking the whole batch at once and freezing the baked cookies. It’s stupid, it takes up more freezer space, I’m pretty sure the cookies aren’t going to taste as good, and my boss gave no goddamn reason for the change.

And as I was leaving, my boss says “I know you don’t want to do any new recipes but how about if we try a completely new pie and a new scone recipe this weekend?”

My brain feels like it went through a cheese grater.

Speaking from experience in my current job, it's more efficient space wise to make the cookie balls then freeze in a vertical stack rack (each of ours can hold sixty half trays with two dozen balls each and still be reasonably mobile). Then you just portion into individual dozens and throw em in the oven. We do this weekly.
gently caress your idiot boss.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Today I came in and not only is the dishwasher broken, the plumber is here and turning the water on and off. In related news it’s day 2 of devoting most of my mental energy to not having a full neurodivergent You hosed My Entire Routine meltdown at work.

Don't decompenasate at work, but if you do, do it all over your bosses desk. Especially wherever they keep recipes.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Compressing six hours of emails and calls:
A customer asked me if they should expect parts in today or if they need to wait to Monday. I checked with the manufacturer who was really confused because the next order they were aware of wasn't due in until June. This kicks off an investigation that takes forever because or supplier portal is so incredibly slow and bad at processing information it's not uncommon to need three hours for even incredibly targeted searches. I run a search in our purchasing system at the same time and find the answer much faster. There is an order for the part in question due in today, but the person who put in the order hosed up and hit a couple things she shouldn't have, so it never appeared in our tracking or demand lists. The vendor never saw there was an order and so production was never started. These are six-month lead time parts and the order was issued in July of last year. I didn't create the order so I'm technically blameless, but I expect I'm going to be yelled at a lot when everyone comes back from the long weekend.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Minor update on my wrongful termination negotiations (I feel like I maybe posted this already but I'll be brief):

The company came back with a totally predictable "what medical issues are you talking about" "here's $2,500 to go away" response. They asked a couple stupid, belligerent, leading questions.

I wrote out my own responses and supplied them to counsel. She held a bunch of ammo back and just cited basics and then... she just casually dropped in the worst part of the discrimination case into the demand letter as a quick throw-away sentence at the end of a paragraph. It's literally the smoking gun in a discrimination case and the casual way she mentioned it without actually giving away anything specific had me rolling. The lawyer who receives this is going to have to go find out what the gently caress are they talking about! and guess what... I now know most of those HR people have been fired or quit since January. I mean, it was just a mic-drop moment presented in a way if you weren't being careful you might gloss right over what it means to the EEOC and to your liability.

The rest of the letter just lowered the lump payout by a good-faith (about 8%) amount based on current damages.

Speaking of which, my EEOC claim was filed officially with the demand letter that was sent back to the company yesterday, so there is no doubt any longer that if they don't settle we will meet in Federal Court. In like a year. I considerately had my counsel provide them a courtesy copy of the EEOC filing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dr. Faustus posted:

Minor update on my wrongful termination negotiations (I feel like I maybe posted this already but I'll be brief):

The company came back with a totally predictable "what medical issues are you talking about" "here's $2,500 to go away" response. They asked a couple stupid, belligerent, leading questions.

I wrote out my own responses and supplied them to counsel. She held a bunch of ammo back and just cited basics and then... she just casually dropped in the worst part of the discrimination case into the demand letter as a quick throw-away sentence at the end of a paragraph. It's literally the smoking gun in a discrimination case and the casual way she mentioned it without actually giving away anything specific had me rolling. The lawyer who receives this is going to have to go find out what the gently caress are they talking about! and guess what... I now know most of those HR people have been fired or quit since January. I mean, it was just a mic-drop moment presented in a way if you weren't being careful you might gloss right over what it means to the EEOC and to your liability.

The rest of the letter just lowered the lump payout by a good-faith (about 8%) amount based on current damages.

Speaking of which, my EEOC claim was filed officially with the demand letter that was sent back to the company yesterday, so there is no doubt any longer that if they don't settle we will meet in Federal Court. In like a year. I considerately had my counsel provide them a courtesy copy of the EEOC filing.

Finally, a feel good story :unsmith:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Mister Facetious posted:

Speaking from experience in my current job, it's more efficient space wise to make the cookie balls then freeze in a vertical stack rack (each of ours can hold sixty half trays with two dozen balls each and still be reasonably mobile). Then you just portion into individual dozens and throw em in the oven. We do this weekly.
gently caress your idiot boss.

We squish the cookie balls down just a little bit so they're lower than the lip of a sheet pan. Fit about 140 per pan and don't need any space between pans in the racks. Can freeze thousands, pull out hundreds whenever we want.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

gently caress 'em up!

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Animal-Mother posted:

We squish the cookie balls down just a little bit so they're lower than the lip of a sheet pan. Fit about 140 per pan and don't need any space between pans in the racks. Can freeze thousands, pull out hundreds whenever we want.
Yeah thats like the smart way to do that, your boss is a loving idiot.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Animal-Mother posted:

We only have two people making them ata time. Doing thousands many would interfere with all the other bullshit that makes us get out late every single day since i joined this place :-/

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Mister Facetious posted:

We only have two people making them ata time. Doing thousands many would interfere with all the other bullshit that makes us get out late every single day since i joined this place :-/

Sounds like they need to hire more staff.

Or bank cookie overtime once a week to get on top of poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Director of Operations? Director of operating a loving email to the effect of nothing

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 15, 2022