Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Khablam posted:

All it does on the rice cookers is change the "wait" portion to be shorter or longer based on ambient temperature. Then plays a little tune to celebrate this incredible feat of engineering. I could write the bash script in 2minutes.

Neuro Fuzzy showers me with fluffy perfect grains, its gentle song echoing to the heavens. Sublime, simple. Like wind whistling through sun-dappled trees as dandelion seeds fill the air. Like fragments of carbon fibre erupting from the barge board of a Williams, tinkling like so many coins against the hot Australian asphalt. Does Stroll cry out at the injustice of this collision? No, he thinks only of rice. He cries out in joy at the memory of Neuro Fuzzy, waiting, warming at home. He is free now of his father’s racing prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Khablam posted:

All it does on the rice cookers is change the "wait" portion to be shorter or longer based on ambient temperature. Then plays a little tune to celebrate this incredible feat of engineering. I could write the bash script in 2minutes.

Its not just wait time, its also the heat temperature applied against the temperature measured (I think weight is captured in this in certain units but I'm not going to say one way or another as I can't actually verify this). I think that you just think its only wait time affected shows a fundamental misunderstanding of analog computing. The advantage of analog computing is you can set a target variable range and the computer will constantly adapt other variables to keep the target within its range without requiring any complex programming. I'm sure you can write some script for this for one variable or another but its not going to be as reactive or as easy to integrate into lower level electronics. There's a reason why it was so effective at fuel injection in the 80s and why digital computing was only able to match it once it integrated more complex sub systems like multi port injection timing that drastically raised the cost.

There's a reason why when you strip away all the bullshit "all jobs are going to disappear in five years" automation bullshit the real talk around big automation gains is in analog computing. Its ability to dynamically react to a series of variables can be achieved far more efficiently and easily than with conventional computing. And that's the technology behind a Zojirushi Rice Cooker.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

khablam: I can write a script in python to do the same thing that analog computing is doing even though I don't understand what its doing in five minutes
actual people in the normal world that manufacture this poo poo: okay but the chip and sensors that could run that is like 3 years out of stock and would blow the profit margin of the rice cooker we are selling.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

They should rebrand fuzzy logic as AI and double the price.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I finally caved and bought myself a Zojirushi a couple months ago.

And now thinking about eating rice from an old school rice cooker makes me sad, because I never knew that there could be such a difference.

It's like thinking you're too good for ketchup on a steak, and then trying it, and you're like "Well I guess I can't go back now."

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

And now thinking about eating rice from an old school rice cooker makes me sad, because I never knew that there could be such a difference.

It's like thinking you're too good for ketchup on a steak, and then trying it, and you're like "Well I guess I can't go back now."

You had me until the ketchup. Good troll post! You have to make it more believable at the end though, FYI for next time.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Pragmatica posted:

oh... the next race is a sprint race. i am still not sure how i feel about those.

Unless they've changed the format they are bad. Last year's war way too long and it was silly they did a full quali the day before.

The best suggestion is to to do Q1 to set the order for the sprint and then do a 10-15 lap race to set the starting order for the full race.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Fuzzy logic was the best super furry animals album.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

italian quid posted:

Its not just wait time, its also the heat temperature applied against the temperature measured (I think weight is captured in this in certain units but I'm not going to say one way or another as I can't actually verify this). I think that you just think its only wait time affected shows a fundamental misunderstanding of analog computing.
Not so, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of why the application of it is pointless. Your kitchen doesn't vary between 0c and 100c it varies between perhaps 15-25c. The ambient temperature just doesn't mean poo poo against cooking output; you're simply adding too much energy against something of a high enough specific heat capacity that it's initial condition hardly matters. If you boil a kettle at 0c ambient and a kettle at 20c ambient, the difference in boiling time is not -20% but very significantly less.

All this means, is the only thing it does in reality is adjust the wait time.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

more broadly, can people stop watching the veritasium video on analogue computing and misunderstanding what it might achieve in the future

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I just assumed a rice cooker stops once the weight gain reaches a certain percentage of the starting weight? Or does it not gain weight? I figured it must be an easy method cause it's cheap.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

busalover posted:

I just assumed a rice cooker stops once the weight gain reaches a certain percentage of the starting weight? Or does it not gain weight? I figured it must be an easy method cause it's cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSTNhvDGbYI

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Fuzzy logic isn't necessarily analog, it's just a clever way of controlling system outputs based on predefined mapping functions. The choice of implementation is more to do with cost of design and manufacture. I don't understand how analog computers would have any advantage over digital hardware in most cases.

Is F1 actually about fastest cars? I'm beginning to wonder. What's it about really?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Is F1 actually about fastest cars? I'm beginning to wonder. What's it about really?

Beautiful people taking part in motor racing.

And Max.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Cimber posted:

I'm now watching motocycle racing at COTA. This is a poor, poor substitute for F1.

jfc

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

busalover posted:

Mechanical ones are done by magnets and springs, the earliest found rice cooker is over 3000 years old and my favourite thing is that when the British museum did a thing on the history of cooking they put it next to a modern hello kitty one, which because, tradition, then had to be given to the V&A for their collection. https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O1322382/rice-cooker/

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Woah. That is simple and elegant. Beautiful.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Beautiful. Simple. Stroll.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

You’re no Hakan

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

a cheap rice cooker is still better at making rice than most of you so by all means stick with the aroma

Carrier
May 12, 2009

i have a yum-asia panda mini rice cooker

Carrier
May 12, 2009

i like it

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Carrier posted:

i like it

how dare you

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

where we racing this weekend

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

ethanol posted:

Food City Dirt Race at Bristol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

ethanol posted:

to the bar, the winner is the first to pass out.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

whgy are we talking about analog computing like egvery single thing built since the 80s hasn't been packed full of ADCs and DACs

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Dynamite Dog posted:

whgy are we talking about analog computing like egvery single thing built since the 80s hasn't been packed full of ADCs and DACs

lmao if you don't use an abacus for all your computing needs

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Khablam posted:

more broadly, can people stop watching the veritasium video on analogue computing and misunderstanding what it might achieve in the future

oh now i know why everyone here is abusing a new buzzword.

that dude sucks

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Dynamite Dog posted:

pls god bring back the cars going vroom

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
F1 needs to do the thread a favor and have an ad hoc race this weekend.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Fuzzy logic isn't necessarily analog, it's just a clever way of controlling system outputs based on predefined mapping functions. The choice of implementation is more to do with cost of design and manufacture. I don't understand how analog computers would have any advantage over digital hardware in most cases.

Money laundering at very high speeds

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
lmao Haas is like "gently caress you, got yours"

https://jalopnik.com/haas-f1-wont-repay-uralkalis-13m-sponsorship-money-1848798004

quote:

After being dropped by the Haas Formula One team, former title sponsor Uralkali has officially demanded the team repay $13 million dollars because, as Uralkali alleged, the team broke the sponsorship contract they had forged. There’s just one problem: Haas think it’s justified, and it’s demanding an additional $8 million in damages.

Autosport adds that, according to one of its sources, Haas is also refusing to pay Mazepin’s salary for his time worked as a driver at the start of the 2022 season.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
The guy that sprinkles salt on his forearm isn’t a real cook right? Every time I see his he’s just throwing food around.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

The guy that sprinkles salt on his forearm isn’t a real cook right? Every time I see his he’s just throwing food around.

He's the cooking version of Max OP.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

No but he has an international chain so why bother.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

busalover posted:

No but he has an international chain so why bother.

Every couple of months there are articles in the local news about people who call the police or something at his restaurant because think they are being overcharged because they ordered a steak covered in gold flakes.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Sounds more like the Flavio of cooking

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I don’t cook or touch computers so I liked watch chat better. What does everyone think of the moonswatch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I don’t cook or touch computers so I liked watch chat better. What does everyone think of the moonswatch?

It seemed cool until it became apparent it was a cheap piece of plastic, and not a piece of true horology.

-A passionate moonwatch owner