Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

ErIog posted:

I'll dig into the laws later, but I'm fairly certain it comes out of pre-Reagan cable laws from the 70's and 80's. We think of cable as a 90's thing, but it started pretty quick because of mountainous places like Colorado where there wasn't real proper terrestrial coverage.

Cable was initially a replacement for terrestrial coverage in places where it didn't make sense. I would be surprised if the 1996 law changed that substantially because by that point the racket was already in place.

I would imagine that a lot of it was the removal of terrestrial ownership restrictions, allowing big companies to exploit loopholes in new and exciting ways. But most of my knowledge of pre-Clinton telecommunications law comes from the excellent documentary UHF (W.A. Yankovic, 1989) and... some episodes of Mathnet or something, I dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

azflyboy posted:

I think he also gets used as a prop for "Look how popular we are with the youth!", since he's still being promoted as some kind of conservative wunderkind, despite the fact he's pushing 40.

To be fair he's one of the few conservatives at that age who doesn't look like he drank from the wrong grail.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

ErIog posted:

Good Inside-Baseball Radio Posting

Another fun thing about EIB if I remember correctly: stations carrying it literally paid nothing to get it. The distribution deal was "carry our show for free; we get to keep half of the ad time, but you get to sell the local slots". So local AM stations like ours paid no money but still got to collect ad bucks using the clout of a show carried nationally that must be very popular since it is "broadcast to X,000,000,000 people nationwide". I may be screwing up the explanation, but SA being SA someone will correct it if I am.

Between that and services like prepburger, Westwood-style canned interviews, etc etc it is remarkable how soulless, mercenary, and cookiecutter modern broadcast radio is.

An aside about our local AM station: it was run by one of the biggest skinflints you can imagine, who put the station's janitor in an on-air slot during morning drivetime in the early/mid 80s...all because the guy said "sure I'll do that for minimum wage." My dad said it was actually great listening sometimes because the guy would do stuff like play a jazz record and say "well, the old clock on the wall says it's...*45 seconds of dead air* ...County commissioners will hear a vote later this week on-".

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Does woke have a meaning anymore? As of right now it's just a word chuds use when minorities get attention in mainstream media.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Wasn't that the entire thing that lit the fuse of RWM radio taking off was how cheap AM air time was since, back then, almost everyone listened to ROCK 105FM or EASY 93FM and the AM dial was more or less NPR and a wasteland? If I'm picturing it correctly too, it was similar to how fire and brimstone churches took over large swaths or the airwaves in the rural south and other areas.

For people tired of that Jesus poo poo and tired stations playing Glen Miller big band stuff or tired country music, it was something fresh and new to hear news and politics being discussed in a fairly entertaining way that spoke to that sort of salt of the earth, midwestern, corn fed, old fashioned American values. I think it also reached a TON of truckers who, back then, were lucky if they could pick up more than 2 or 3 stations during their drive through a lot of long stretches on their routes and who were pretty much the prototypes for the modern blue collar model of your basic republican.

Not sure how well I worded that but I think the AM dial did a LOT to shape modern conservative thinking in radio wastelands like Kansas, Arkansas, Nebraska, Mississippi, etc. the same way that churches did/do, which I've brought up before. For a good, long while (and it might be hard for younger goons to imagine) there was basically NOTHING ELSE to listen to for really large percentages of the working population in these areas and I personally don't think it's a coincidence that most of these regions are as deeply red as they are now.

Even TV stations consisted of a lot of wrestling, a ton of church poo poo, Hee Haw and Andy Griffith reruns and most people still didn't have cable. Like a few people have pointed out, it was simply a matter of buying up cheap air time and some smart people figuring out how to put something entertaining on it. A large amount of people in these areas felt INFORMED listening to Rush Limbaugh where, prior, they were just basic "gently caress the government" types. Suddenly, they found themselves educated in a sense.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Dpulex posted:

Does woke have a meaning anymore? As of right now it's just a word chuds use when minorities get attention in mainstream media.

IT's, as far as I can tell, a rough amalgamation of anything that attempts to push society beyond where were January 20th, 1980.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Wasn't that the entire thing that lit the fuse of RWM radio taking off was how cheap AM air time was since, back then, almost everyone listened to ROCK 105FM or EASY 93FM and the AM dial was more or less NPR and a wasteland? If I'm picturing it correctly too, it was similar to how fire and brimstone churches took over large swaths or the airwaves in the rural south and other areas.

For people tired of that Jesus poo poo and tired stations playing Glen Miller big band stuff or tired country music, it was something fresh and new to hear news and politics being discussed in a fairly entertaining way that spoke to that sort of salt of the earth, midwestern, corn fed, old fashioned American values. I think it also reached a TON of truckers who, back then, were lucky if they could pick up more than 2 or 3 stations during their drive through a lot of long stretches on their routes and who were pretty much the prototypes for the modern blue collar model of your basic republican.

Not sure how well I worded that but I think the AM dial did a LOT to shape modern conservative thinking in radio wastelands like Kansas, Arkansas, Nebraska, Mississippi, etc. the same way that churches did/do, which I've brought up before. For a good, long while (and it might be hard for younger goons to imagine) there was basically NOTHING ELSE to listen to for really large percentages of the working population in these areas and I personally don't think it's a coincidence that most of these regions are as deeply red as they are now.

Even TV stations consisted of a lot of wrestling, a ton of church poo poo, Hee Haw and Andy Griffith reruns and most people still didn't have cable. Like a few people have pointed out, it was simply a matter of buying up cheap air time and some smart people figuring out how to put something entertaining on it. A large amount of people in these areas felt INFORMED listening to Rush Limbaugh where, prior, they were just basic "gently caress the government" types. Suddenly, they found themselves educated in a sense.

Before the Nineties and the prime of Rush and Fox News (and now Facebook and Twitter etc), people generally did not marinate themselves in political content 24/7. Now we see what happens after a full generation of it.

I do feel that, for Americans at least, their identity as a person is much more tied up in being a right wing conservative than any other thing such as being a Christian, being a southerner or Midwesterner etc. Of course some of those things are sold as being part of the American right wing “package” like being a gun fanatic and being anti abortion.

You and I are about the same age and we grew up during this era. I swear that people didn’t use to make every goddam thing about politics before and it was more possible to be friends outside of political differences.

It really loving pisses me off that things that should not necessarily have a right or left position like Trayvon Martin or George Floyd do because on one side it’s black people and not cops and on the other it’s cops and white people, and throw guns into it to why the gently caress not?

I feel like this Russia Ukraine war is a test of that. For several years now American righties have been enthusiastically learning to slurp Putin dick for the obvious reason first that he was an obvious ally and helper to their stupid demigod but also because he’s a fascist dickhead dictator and they like that.

The right and wrong of it so obvious and so against their recent alignment with Russia that I wonder how they’re going twist themselves into sticking with that aside from the lame “well if Biden hadn’t been so weak Putin never would have done it (and I hope he wins)”. They’ll probably manage it somehow.

Anyone seen how Fox is covering the war lately?

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Tucker is producing a new series and its… well…

https://twitter.com/nikkimcr/status/1515130557675581442?s=21&t=L6GHPxmqAORtEYr54bVTjg

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s about guys loving each other’s butts?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Tucker's clever for shilling dick warmers instead of dick pills.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Zwabu posted:

Anyone seen how Fox is covering the war lately?

The only thing that needs to be said is that Tucker Carlson clips are shown on Russia-1, the state owned TV channel in Russia.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Isn't this literally just a fascist mantra? I swear I've seen it online before, where it goes along the lines of "hard times make strong men who build prosperity, which leads to weak men who create hard times"

Like drat, that doesn't even count as a dog whistle.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Generic American posted:

Isn't this literally just a fascist mantra? I swear I've seen it online before, where it goes along the lines of "hard times make strong men who build prosperity, which leads to weak men who create hard times"

Like drat, that doesn't even count as a dog whistle.

Yes. Even better is the use of Strauss' Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Not to godwin but this reminds me of the Great German Art Exhibition which went up in 1937 and was full of paintings and sculptures of yoked naked dudes wrestling and throwing spears at things.

What I'm saying is I feel like it shouldn't be this hard for fascists to portray male physicality without making me wonder if the world would be a better place if they just stopped trying to repress themselves so hard.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Men should be strapped"

"Ok!"

"They should hang out and be muscular and sporty"

"Sounds great!"

"No women getting in the way!"

"Get 'em out of there! Who needs em?"

"...and in no way should this be sexual."

"Haha wow okay back the gently caress up"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Where can I get that infrared stand-up penis heater the dude is reppin' at the 0:10 mark.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 16, 2022

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I legitimately can't figure out what the deal with the penis incinerator is. Like..... What?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

lol look at this person doesn't know what the dong bong is for

see also: pole smoker, peter heater, barbecock, knob hob, willy grill, strange range

stringless fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 16, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's a peener tanner

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

It's a peener tanner

Is that legitimately what it’s for? Who the gently caress has the time or patience to satisfy that level of vanity?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

nah it's a hachi machi hibachi

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

That bit of plastic is there to prevent us from being blinding by his luminescent penis

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

It looks like a giant pulse/ox meter clamp thing attached to a giant's wrinkly sack.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I regularly catch snippets of the right wing AM station in Seattle, and one of their big ads has now changed to remove Tucker Carlson.

They have an ad proclaiming that "America is listening to 770 KTTH!", which then has clips of Tucker Carlson saying how great and wise Jason Rantz (the afternoon host on KTTH) is, and it's been basically the same as for at least a year.

Some time in the last couple of weeks, that ad got changed to feature clips of someone else (Laura Ingram?) talking about how great Jason Rantz is, so even AM talk stations have realized "Putin did nothing wrong!" might be a little too far.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 16, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Neito posted:

IT's, as far as I can tell, a rough amalgamation of anything that attempts to push society beyond where were January 20th, 1980.

change that to 1981 and i could be convinced that society got noticeably worst on that date

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

Where can I get that infrared stand-up penis heater the dude is reppin' at the 0:10 mark.

I was ready to dismiss most of the commentary as everyday "heeeh, jocks are gay" stuff until I saw this screenshot and now it's just :wtc:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I seem to remember there was some new-age nonsense recently about how sunning/tanning your taint was supposed to have some huge magical health benefits, maybe it's something to do with that?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Perestroika posted:

I seem to remember there was some new-age nonsense recently about how sunning/tanning your taint was supposed to have some huge magical health benefits, maybe it's something to do with that?

It's called vitamin D, duh

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
gwyneth paltrow was doing taint tanning stuff a few years ago iirc?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xakura posted:

It's called vitamin D, duh

Probably get more vitamin D from a teaspoon of milk than you do from bombarding your gooch with UV radiation.

Edit: oh drat it you were making a pun weren't you

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I thought nuts didn't have vitamin D :v:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Is this implying that Tucker is running for president? Cause that would be funny.

Edit: I mean the fascist signaling not necessarily the penis tanner.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Don't be ridiculous you aren't tanning your penis.

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1515131798702936070

You're tanning your testicles, which totally definitely boosts testosterone

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
is that... white snoop dogg

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

moonmazed posted:

is that... white snoop dogg

That's Kid Rock

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Piell posted:

That's Kid Rock

burdensome

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sad to carry the "Kid" appellation this long

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I like that "Tanning your balls will make your more manly" is so loving out there that even Kid Rock is like "What the gently caress are you talking about?"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Joke's on them. I just sit on the beach with my balls handing out like a normal person

I don't recall seeing this posted. Sorry for the Yahoo line but it's one I found that's not behind a paywall

Fox viewers transformed after watching CNN for 30 days, report finds

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/fox-viewers-transformed-watching-cnn-063911412.html

quote:

Fox News viewers who were paid to watch CNN for 30 days eventually became more skeptical and less likely to buy into fake news, according to a new study.

The study titled “The manifold effects of partisan media on viewers’ beliefs and attitudes: A field experiment with Fox News viewers” by David E Brockman and Joshua L Kalla was conducted in September 2020 and published last week.

The study found changes in attitudes and policy preferences about Covid-19, evaluations of then president Donald Trump and Republican candidates as well as elected officials.

“Despite regular Fox viewers being largely strong partisans, we found manifold effects of changing the slant of their media diets on their factual beliefs, attitudes, perceptions of issues’ importance, and overall political views,” the authors of the study said.

They found that participants became more likely to agree that if Donald Trump made a mistake, Fox News would not cover it.

A survey was conducted after three days on the participants.

“We found large effects of watching CNN instead of Fox News on participants’ factual perceptions of current events (i.e., beliefs) and knowledge about the 2020 presidential candidates’ positions,” the researchers said. “They discovered changes in attitudes about Donald Trump and Republicans as well as a large effect on their opinions about Covid.”

The researchers concluded that this is an effect in part of “partisan coverage filtering”, wherein partisan outlets selectively report information, leading viewers to learn a biased set of facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Sad to carry the "Kid" appellation this long

How else can he get republicans to hang out with him?