Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

wesleywillis posted:

What if it had a leprosy component.

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Alpacas and llamas tend to hate dogs too, thinking they're wolves.

Wool pays poo poo anyhow unless you have thousands of animals, and even then you'd be lucky to break even.

And don't forget the king of novelty livestock, the american bison. Even Ted Turner bought a herd in the 90s. Bison is tasty, but not $10/lb at kroger tasty.
My great uncle ran a small herd of about a dozen bison on the family farm. Wasn't any different for him than having a few cattle to slaughter. Had some mighty fine buffalo steaks/burgs. It was also very :stare: to be heading down the dirt lane to the main road and see a huge fuckoff buffalo staring at you from a pasture.

My great uncle was also an eccentric nut in a good way. He lived in a castle (it was some old oil or cattle baron's home that officially had "castle" in the name and was built like one), and had a tiny little railroad running around part of the property. Went to a family reunion there once and it was a hell of a lot of fun for a kid.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Cantilevers beat wind, right?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

MarxCarl posted:

Recently stayed at an AirBnB and one bathroom had an interesting take on moulding joints.

It was every joint.

bravo

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Yeah, I was like... but I've paid $$$ for alpaca fiber?

Anyway, I think I have the right timestamp, but if not go to 7:44 in this video for a really great staircase. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xjxIAs8RWA&t=464s

Looks like little stairs for cats to zoom around the walls. They used leftover pieces from the stair threads installed on the other side of the wall. They are sold in different length, and you can buy them with either the finished front, or front and side(s). Someone obviously bought the wrong thing and decided to make use of the leftovers.

Cats absolutely love stuff like that by the way

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/troyhillian/status/1513121971067924480?s=21&t=9shE3vdVO2mqN_9RruG_0g

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Getting "climbing gym" vibes from the second one.

(sheet)rock gym

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I like the visual of each of those, despite the fact that they're both profoundly stupid

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I see a strong follower of the never measure ethos.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Look, it's impossible to know ahead of time how these things are gonna end up

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

D34THROW posted:

Look, it's impossible to know ahead of time how these things are gonna end up

That quote is rattling around my head like a DVD Screensaver whenever I see anything misaligned.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dog door, cat window?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

StormDrain posted:

That quote is rattling around my head like a DVD Screensaver whenever I see anything misaligned.

Thats because its impossible to know when you're going to need it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
We all eventually become the things we hate.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

As a temporary solution it seems fine.:shrug:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

By popular demand posted:

As a temporary solution it seems fine.:shrug:

I'm actually going to insulate all the way up to the railing so that there isn't an empty chamber to reverberate every time someone uses the stairs. Inside of the stairs are going to have wainscoting, with the outside having 4' of wainscoting then drywall above it.

Of all of things wrong with :grovertoot:, insulation in the stairs was one of least objectionable.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Just moved house and am in the "find all the stuff that's wrong that you forgot you fixed in the last place" stage, top prize so far is the sewer stack vent that is just open into the attic with no valve so it stinks of drains up there (and a shower sump has dried out so that's a smell we're getting a lot of), but the radiator feed running uninsulated in the open eaves is pretty dumb. As is the toilet waste that uses a Flexi couple to go down then back up to join the stack for ??? Reason.

The false wall built in front of the real one to create some shelves/AV unit has some interesting electrics as well. Looks like they spliced and just pulled the cables through from the sockets behind to a new socket on the false wall, but never terminated them and just left some live wires chilling out there along with 4 coax aerial runs that get no signal from anything.

Ah, the joys of home ownership.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Well I hope you notch your joists the CORRECT way when you build your bathroom to attract the :females:.
Keeping in mind of course that it's impossible to predict how Tiles will turn out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MarxCarl posted:

Recently stayed at an AirBnB and one bathroom had an interesting take on moulding joints.

It was every joint.

That's dedication to failing to learn.

StormDrain posted:

:same:

Rexxed posted:

Dog door, cat window?

Little people.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Blistex posted:

I'm actually going to insulate all the way up to the railing so that there isn't an empty chamber to reverberate every time someone uses the stairs. Inside of the stairs are going to have wainscoting, with the outside having 4' of wainscoting then drywall above it.

Of all of things wrong with :grovertoot:, insulation in the stairs was one of least objectionable.

Failed ANOTHER inspection - Different fire marshal - SAME wiring. Call me paranoid but I can't imagine that two completely different fire marshals, from competely different government bodies (the city and the state police), would just randomly come to the same conclusion about such a clever wiring setup. I pointed out that Id already purchased and installed over 180 outlets over the course of the project, so I probably knew what I was doing by now. And anyway, I could have every outlet-capable thing I own plugged in, on, and running, and it wouldn't even take up a quarter of them. Meanwhile, the Ol Wifenheimer, fuzzed out of her mind on black bombers and kratom, skittered by like a trembling woodcutter ant with several dozen sheets of plywood hoisted above her quietly jabbering head. I told the Marshal how much I wanted them but he shook his head sadly and said, "Grover, you need to choose a few outlets, and you need to take the rest away. You can't have them all, it's dangerous, you could burn your house down and you don't want to die in a terrible fire? Do you? That's why we need you to take the wires out, Grover, so you don't hurt yourself and your family." I swore up and down that I'd do the work, and not just try to fool him with a new fake-wiring setup like I did the other guy, but now that he's walked out the door - I kind of feel like just leaving it, and then start dodging inspections until after I get licensed up myself

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
We were digging around 10 deep on the edge of the foundation when the mania began to take hold. I remember saying something like ``I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should add more outlets....'' And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like building inspectors, all swooping and screeching and jotting down notes around the roof, which was down to plywood and tar with about a hundred code faults a minute. And a voice was screaming: ``Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?''

Then it was quiet again. My wife had taken her shirt off and was stuffing shirts into the walls to facilitate the insulation process. ``What the hell are you yelling about?'' she muttered, staring up at the sun with her eyes closed and covered with wraparound Gunnar sunglasses. ``Never mind,'' I said. ``It's your turn to dig.'' No point mentioning those inspectors, I thought. The poor bastard will see them soon enough.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rexxed posted:

Dog door, cat window?

Reddit speculates that it’s either a problem (patching up the door hole after installing the bay window) turned into a “feature” for pets, or that it fulfils a legal requirement as a fire exit.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Vim Fuego posted:

We were digging around 10 deep on the edge of the foundation when the mania began to take hold. I remember saying something like ``I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should add more outlets....'' And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like building inspectors, all swooping and screeching and jotting down notes around the roof, which was down to plywood and tar with about a hundred code faults a minute. And a voice was screaming: ``Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?''

Then it was quiet again. My wife had taken her shirt off and was stuffing shirts into the walls to facilitate the insulation process. ``What the hell are you yelling about?'' she muttered, staring up at the sun with her eyes closed and covered with wraparound Gunnar sunglasses. ``Never mind,'' I said. ``It's your turn to dig.'' No point mentioning those inspectors, I thought. The poor bastard will see them soon enough.

I remain proud of

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Grady: I'm sorry to differ with you, sir... but you are the contractor. You've always been the contractor. I should know, sir. I've always been here.
[Grover chuckles]
Grady: Did you know, Mr. Grover, that your son is attempting to bring an outside party into this situation? Did you know that?
Grover: No.
Grady: He is, Mr. Grover.
Grover: Who?
Grady: A building inspector.
Grover: A building inspector?
Grady: The Norfolk County building inspector.
Grover: He is a very willful boy.
Grady: Perhaps he needs a good talking to, if you don't mind my saying so. Perhaps... a bit more. My girls, sir, they didn't care for the house at first. One of them even pulled the insulation out of the stairs. But I... corrected them, sir. And when my wife tried to prevent me from adding more outlets, I... corrected her.

also, god bless the Doom Bathroom thread:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Blistex posted:

We all eventually become the things we hate.

Stop posting your house ITT you’re doing a good job idiot keep it up

Post in Blistex’s Try Hard Emporium for House Doing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I remain proud of

Valleys leading to the caves are heavily guarded by militiamen

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A) Why hide it? (An unused eye)
B) If you're really that much of a prude, then just get a hanging hammock chair for when the swing's not in use

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Many people consider it polite to put away signs of their sex life when they have guests over, along the lines of someone in a studio apartment putting their box of condoms in a drawer instead of on top of the nightstand. And that may not be a convenient place for hanging furniture.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's a crude way to hide a hook, just buy a cheap chandelier.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

https://www.theonion.com/butterfly-gently caress-swing-filled-with-junk-mail-1819569227

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Does anyone have a link to that handy, by the way?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Phanatic posted:

Does anyone have a link to that handy, by the way?

The whole bEatmstrJ saga, multiple threads, linked in the SAclopedia.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

CarForumPoster posted:

Stop posting your house ITT you’re doing a good job idiot keep it up

Post in Blistex’s Try Hard Emporium for House Doing

Thanks?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Zil posted:

I see a strong follower of the never measure ethos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tti-PyT5KE

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sentient Data posted:

A) Why hide it? (An unused eye)
B) If you're really that much of a prude, then just get a hanging hammock chair for when the swing's not in use

So this real estate lady I know had this story.

She s looking at houses in the blue collar/red neck/meth/ former KKK side of town. That near the oil fields. The family basically wanting a property with a mother in law unit in the back.

So the front house has a old lady in it and the back house has this younger woman, the back house is just an apartment above a garage with alley access.

The lady in the back answer the door in a shirt and panties and goes "oh yeah thats right....well my husbands a trucker and he came through last night....so keep in open mind.

The showing goes well till they get to the bed room which has a sex swing mounted to a A fram engine hoist over the bed. The woman was a prostitute and just sat on the couch asking them to keep an open mind.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ups_rail posted:

So this real estate lady I know had this story.

She s looking at houses in the blue collar/red neck/meth/ former KKK side of town. That near the oil fields. The family basically wanting a property with a mother in law unit in the back.

So the front house has a old lady in it and the back house has this younger woman, the back house is just an apartment above a garage with alley access.

The lady in the back answer the door in a shirt and panties and goes "oh yeah thats right....well my husbands a trucker and he came through last night....so keep in open mind.

The showing goes well till they get to the bed room which has a sex swing mounted to a A fram engine hoist over the bed. The woman was a prostitute and just sat on the couch asking them to keep an open mind.

Seems like the problem is less the swing and more the gossipy judgmental real estate lady.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I have a feeling sex swings are on the tame side of the things relators see. My buyer's agent told me he found a dead body in a house he was showing to prospective buyers. They passed on that one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Sex work is work