Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Love how Watson first was tied to New Orleans because of their roster, then Atlanta because the home town pull, then chose the browns because they guaranteed his money and made it rape suspension proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

FizFashizzle posted:

Love how Watson first was tied to New Orleans because of their roster, then Atlanta because the home town pull, then chose the browns because they guaranteed his money and made it rape suspension proof.

It is really incredibly gross. I can't believe the Browns managed to make me hate them. Considering their history, that is an accomplishment

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I’m guessing any of those teams would have structured his contract very similarly as per Watson’s request. Sure it was gross of the Browns but don’t think Falcons and Saints weren’t going to do the same. The Browns roster is the best of the 3 and they probably just threw out a larger guaranteed number than the others.

Lots of “my team would never do this!” In here. And yes they would have. They were the final 3 teams interested in trading for a rapist.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I’m guessing any of those teams would have structured his contract very similarly as per Watson’s request. Sure it was gross of the Browns but don’t think Falcons and Saints weren’t going to do the same. The Browns roster is the best of the 3 and they probably just threw out a larger guaranteed number than the others.

Lots of “my team would never do this!” In here. And yes they would have. They were the final 3 teams interested in trading for a rapist.

I dont think anyone is defending any franchise that actually went after watson. But the browns were the ones to actually do it.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The Browns were the ones who went from out of contention to his choice. They did something other teams wouldn't and in impressive fashion far as he was concerned.

It was a panic move by a team run by an impulsive moron. Mayfield was their backup plan until Haslam shot his mouth off about "wanting an adult" and Baker told them to pound sand. They scrambled to deal with the latest moment in lolBrowns tradition and managed to get people to stop lol'ing and just hate them. Jimmy will gently caress it all up again somehow it's just what he does. Probably tomorrow because there's apparently protests being organized.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Intruder posted:

I'd rather Watson be in prison and the Texans get nothing for him tbh

I said it was a great day for the Texans, not a great day for America.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The Browns were the ones who went from out of contention to his choice. They did something other teams wouldn't and in impressive fashion far as he was concerned.

It was a panic move by a team run by an impulsive moron. Mayfield was their backup plan until Haslam shot his mouth off about "wanting an adult" and Baker told them to pound sand. They scrambled to deal with the latest moment in lolBrowns tradition and managed to get people to stop lol'ing and just hate them. Jimmy will gently caress it all up again somehow it's just what he does. Probably tomorrow because there's apparently protests being organized.

Yeah I think that's the key consideration. For them to immediately not only leapfrog back into contention but just out of nowhere consummate the trade means they did something and it was almost certainly contract-related

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

There's just a reality that there were no major roster changes from Watson rejecting to accepting the Browns. Roster wasn't what sold him they did something, I'm just surprised nobody else would match it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Presumably it was the fully guaranteed 230 million dollars that sold him.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

They spent over 50% more on guarantees on his contract than the last highest paid QB AND structured it to insulate him from NFL fines.

I guess a lot of the other teams in the running literally couldn't match that offer for salary cap reasons, but I think even someone as desperate as Tepper may have looked at those terms and said, "Jesus, no."

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I’m stunned at Carolina not matching them. They were so desperate to get him on board after his initial “hell no” when Miami and Philly originally got on (and off) the trade for Deshaun wagon

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fsif posted:

They spent over 50% more on guarantees on his contract than the last highest paid QB AND structured it to insulate him from NFL fines.

I don’t think the structure with the low first year salary is all that noteworthy. Lots of teams would have done that anyway just to mitigate the first year cap hit.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Even Texans fans shouldn't get it twisted, if Watson had agreed to come back and play for them they never would have traded him at all

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think the structure with the low first year salary is all that noteworthy. Lots of teams would have done that anyway just to mitigate the first year cap hit.

Yeah, the thing that the Browns did to win over the rapist was to offer 230 million dollars guaranteed. The structure of when he gets those dollars is irrelevant.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Lots of “my team would never do this!” In here.

Is there?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i can say for certain that the miami dolphins, after hemming and hawing about it for two years, would definitely not do this deal

(at this price)

(under these conditions)

(at this time)

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

We still posting Watson stuff here? Discovery about to get fun

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2022/04/07/deshaun-watson-plaintiffs-expand-lawsuits-massages-negligence/9505142002/

quote:

Two of the women who are suing NFL quarterback Deshaun Watson amended their lawsuits this week to add claims of negligence and gross negligence, arguing that Watson knew of his own sexual proclivities in massage sessions but failed to take precautions to prevent a reoccurrence of them.

By adding these new causes of action, they potentially widen the net of discoverable evidence they can obtain before trial and also add another way to recover damages in their lawsuits. They are among 22 women who have sued Watson and accused him of sexual misconduct during massage sessions in 2020 and early 2021.

The attorney for the 22 women, Tony Buzbee, told USA TODAY Sports Thursday that more lawsuits will be adding causes of action for negligence and gross negligence.

"Deshaun Watson has denied he acted intentionally; we believe strongly that we will prove he did," Buzbee said. "We have also added a claim for negligence allowing a jury to assess liability for unreasonable and imprudent conduct as well. This claim is just another through which the jury can assess liability and damages against him. We will likely add this claim for most of the cases, although perhaps not all."

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

quote:

arguing that Watson knew of his own sexual proclivities in massage sessions but failed to take precautions to prevent a reoccurrence of them.

I uh...assume that's because he didn't -want- to restrain himself from these actions?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
That's ultimately legal maneuvering and it's not worth wasting your time thinking too logically about it

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

quote:

Sometime in the next three weeks, NFL quarterback Deshaun Watson will be forced to produce a series of answers about his prolific history of massages, including the following: ► Of the 22 women who are suing him, which of them does he claim to have had consensual sex? ► Of the 18 other women who supported him publicly last year, which of those did he have sex with, if any? ► He also must list all other women who gave him a massage from June 2, 2019, to June 2, 2020, including their email addresses and Instagram handles, according to court records. “These are very extensive requests,” one of Watson’s attorneys, Leah Graham, told the judge in a hearing last week that was monitored online by USA TODAY Sports. But the judge determined they were relevant to the lawsuits he faces in Houston and ordered him to provide the information within 30 days. It’s all part of the pretrial evidence discovery process that has intensified recently, more than a year after 22 women sued him and accused him of sexual misconduct during massage sessions.

Even after two criminal grand juries declined to indict him in the 10 cases that were reported to police, these civil lawsuits proceed separately and still could take a big toll on him in several ways. To assess the stakes, USA TODAY Sports gathered court records and spoke to legal experts who say Watson is under increasing pressure in these cases and “backed into a corner” just a few weeks after being given a blockbuster contract with the Cleveland Browns. Why the civil cases still matter The 22 women who have sued him generally accuse him of exposing himself and causing unwanted touching during massage sessions from early 2020 to March 2021, often after he initiated contact with them on Instagram. Watson has denied wrongdoing. His attorney, Rusty Hardin, said the women are lying but there were “sometimes consensual encounters.” As part of these lawsuits, Watson has been forced to testify in depositions and answer written questions about these appointments. His attorneys objected to many of those questions and declined to answer them, leading to the court hearing last week, when Harris County District Court Judge Rabeea Sultan Collier compelled him to answer some.
“Watson is being backed into a corner,” said David Ring, an attorney in Los Angeles who has represented sex assault victims but is not involved in the Watson litigation. “He has to settle these cases. The longer they go on and the more he admits to any kind of sex acts with masseuses, the more he is placing his NFL career in jeopardy. There will be a tipping point where even though he got off criminally, the civil cases could irreparably damage his reputation and his career.” Embarrassing details about him could spill into public court and the news media as the cases bring more scrutiny on his behavior. Hardin already has accused the women’s attorney, Tony Buzbee, of selectively leaking information from the proceedings to make Watson look terrible. And even though Watson avoided criminal charges, that doesn’t mean he was declared “innocent” or cleared of questionable or disturbing conduct. Buzbee previously compared the situation to the separate criminal and civil trials of O.J. Simpson, the former football star. Simpson was acquitted of double murder in a criminal trial in 1995 but later was found liable for the killings in civil court.

The NFL is watching these civil cases, too The league is conducting its own investigation and could discipline Watson with a suspension. “We are closely monitoring all developments in the matter which remains under review of the personal conduct policy,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told USA TODAY Sports. But all or most of these civil cases might not go to trial until after February, as reported by USA TODAY Sports this month. This was part of deal between the sides to avoid the football season for Watson. Will the league wait until the civil cases are resolved before deciding on discipline? “We are not going to speculate on a timeline for decisions while the review is ongoing,” McCarthy said. Beyond that, sponsors also have an interest in what happens. Several dropped or suspended deals with Watson after the allegations mounted last year, including Nike. “An adverse civil verdict would also almost certainly close the door on any endorsement deals in the future,” said Kenneth Williams, professor at South Texas College of Law Houston. The Browns traded for Watson anyway and gave him a contract with the most guaranteed money in NFL history – $230 million over five years. Two weeks later, the judge ruled he must answer questions about his sexual history with at least 40 women who gave him massages, including the 22 plaintiffs. Graham, his attorney, had fought this, saying these questions from plaintiffs were overly broad and not relevant to the individual cases at hand. She suggested his legal team might appeal to a higher court. Why the judge’s decision is a big deal After the lawsuits against Watson started in March 2021, Hardin tried to take some heat off his client by publicly releasing a list of 18 other therapists who supported him and said they didn’t experience trouble during their interactions with him. But the attorneys for the plaintiffs wanted to know something else about these 18 women. If Watson had sexual relations with them, they believe it will show Watson routinely entered massage appointments with sexual intentions even though that feeling was not mutual with all the women he contacted for massages. “Any additional instances of sexual relations between he and other massage therapists makes his accusers more believable,” Williams said. “These additional instances of sexual relations between Watson and other therapists is likely to be admitted as evidence of his intent and therefore problematic should the case go to trial. The women would be able to testify at any trial even if they are not suing him. Thus, he has a very strong incentive to settle before the cases go to trial.” Buzbee told USA TODAY Sports that Watson admitted in a pretrial deposition that he engaged in consensual oral sex with at least one plaintiff. That plaintiff denies it was consensual. But this admission gives Buzbee an opening to show he’s “reaching out to these women for that very purpose” and pushing them to get it, Buzbee said. Last week the judge ruled Watson also must identify the plaintiffs with whom he had sex, what he was given consent to do, when consent was given and the method by which he received consent, according to court records. In another development, the plaintiffs' attorneys started expanding the scope of the lawsuits by adding claims of negligence against Watson. What that means Buzbee’s firm added negligence claims to two of the 22 lawsuits last week, with plans to add it to more. By adding these claims, the plaintiffs are arguing that Watson knew of his sexual proclivities in massage settings but failed to prevent a reoccurrence of them or warn the plaintiffs about them. This in turn allows the plaintiffs to expand the scope of pretrial evidence gathering in terms of any pattern he had with his behavior during massages. It also adds another claim “through which the jury can assess liability and damages against him,” Buzbee said. Almost all other lawsuits share other specific claims against him – civil assault and infliction of emotional distress. Adding negligence claims still seems like a stretch to some. “From a legal point of view, how does a person negligently have a massage?” asked Ring, the attorney in Los Angeles. “It’s a bit of a strange argument for the plaintiffs to make.” Even so, Ring sees this claim as a possible escape hatch for Watson. He could use it to explain his massage history and pay these women to end these lawsuits before they take a heavier toll. “It’s decision time for Watson – testify about all of his interactions with these other women, or somehow get all of these cases settled now,” Ring said. “The new negligence claims against Watson give him an out. He can settle these cases and say, ‘OK, I was negligent, but I didn’t commit any assaults, and I committed no crimes. I just didn’t act carefully enough.’ This can save his career.”

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Can someone please bold the interesting parts

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
the tl;dr is that he has to give his opponents full details of every person he got a massage with for the period of june 2019 to june 2020 and the lawyer for defense is going to probably reach out to each and every one about the encounter.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

quote:

But all or most of these civil cases might not go to trial until after February, as reported by USA TODAY Sports this month.

The biggest :lmao: if nothing happens during Watson's first year, but then is suspended when his mammoth contract kicks in.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Is there a link to the article? Curious where you read this.

Nov 6, 2002

Sataere posted:

Is there a link to the article? Curious where you read this.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...8001/?gnt-cfr=1

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Android Apocalypse posted:

The biggest :lmao: if nothing happens during Watson's first year, but then is suspended when his mammoth contract kicks in.

At this point I think that’s the best case scenario if you want to see him face even the slightest amount of comeuppance for this

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Thanks

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Hardin already has accused the women’s attorney, Tony Buzbee, of selectively leaking information from the proceedings to make Watson look terrible

I mean he already looked terrible when more and more women started speaking out and the biggest question was "Why do you need to visit at least 22 different massage therapists?"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Man, you could have formatted the text a little better :v: (but thanks for posting it)

The uninvolved attorney they interviewed kept saying Watson needs to settle but I thought several of the women have already said they have no intention of settling?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Seems like they are trying to trap him in a lie where he denies receiving a massage or having sex with some lady but there is already evidence of those things occurring?

I also like the part where he has to specify which sexual interludes he believes were consensual. That's definitely a bit of a trap (not in a sneaky way, a fully just trap and question that he should absolutely have to answer). Just vaguely saying some are lying and some were consensual won't cut it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

???
https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/1514966774869020677

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

I am deceased, this might be the funniest tweet of all time

Nov 6, 2002

what the actual gently caress

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Most people would want to be a fly on the wall for huge moments in history. Me? I would want to be a fly on the wall when that tweet was discussed and approved.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Hell yes.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Really feels like a missed opportunity to not use a QB for Passover pictures.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I can't tell if this is anti-semitic. Since it is coming from the Texans, I'm going to assume it is.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Really feels like a missed opportunity to not use a QB for Passover pictures.

Particularly one of these:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Kalli posted:

Particularly one of these:

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/sarahbarshop/status/1531751357664968705?t=z1X3oo9huMHyz7XSiZprlA&s=09
https://twitter.com/camijustice/status/1531764358640021506