Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

I have an older iPhone/iOS and starting a week ago, my phone stopped syncing to iCloud. When I tried to sign out and sign back in with my Apple ID, I get the error message "verification failed - an unknown error occurred" every time I try to sign in.

My password is correct, I've restarted the phone, this occurs both on and off wifi. Am I just hosed and have to buy a new phone? This is the iPhone 7, so I've had it for almost 5 years, but it still works great.

iPhone 7 should still be working. In the worst case scenario you can reset the phone and start fresh, but maybe see if Apple support can help first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Gripweed posted:

You don't have to buy a new phone just because icloud doesn't work, you can simply manage your files manually.
I very much do not want to do a manual backup to my computer every night. Not being able to log in also means I can't do things like update apps

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I can't even begin to imagine owning a phone that old, the battery alone must be cactus by now. A new phone is perfectly justified, don't feel bad about it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anne Whateley posted:

I very much do not want to do a manual backup to my computer every night. Not being able to log in also means I can't do things like update apps

It's amazing how fast he forgot his 10 pages of troubleshooting something that only he thought was a good idea.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

You don't have to buy a new phone just because icloud doesn't work, you can simply manage your files manually.

Lol

Anne Whateley posted:

I read it as a joke reference to the poster 3-5 pages ago melting down on wanting to manually control all his/her files.

Other poster is right, in theory the best way to fix it is to erase and restore. Obviously if it isn’t backing up, depends on how long ago you did that (or do a computer backup / restore).

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
That one does sound exactly like backing up to iTunes and then doing a DFU.

It might just permanently fry the phone if it's a hardware fault though. But then you know there wasn't an option besides "buy something new".

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Is it me or is GameCenter dead?

I’m on 15.4.1 for reference.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Dancing Peasant posted:

Is it me or is GameCenter dead?

it was never alive

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's still around. It's one of those buried features that games do use but it's more behind the scenes and not in your face.

Turns out I have over 1000 achievements in there.

Anne Whateley posted:

I have an older iPhone/iOS and starting a week ago, my phone stopped syncing to iCloud. When I tried to sign out and sign back in with my Apple ID, I get the error message "verification failed - an unknown error occurred" every time I try to sign in.

My password is correct, I've restarted the phone, this occurs both on and off wifi. Am I just hosed and have to buy a new phone? This is the iPhone 7, so I've had it for almost 5 years, but it still works great.

First thing I would do is update the OS on your phone. It supports the most recent version.

If that doesn't fix it, I would try logging into iCloud on the web to eliminate any issues with credentials or MFA. On a side note, if you don't have MFA turned on you absolutely should.

If it still doesn't work, it's time for a backup and a wipe.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 15, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

endlessmonotony posted:

That one does sound exactly like backing up to iTunes and then doing a DFU.

It might just permanently fry the phone if it's a hardware fault though. But then you know there wasn't an option besides "buy something new".

Please explain how this could be a hardware fault.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

It's a remote possibility very far down the list of likely causes. The RAM or storage could be faulty so the phone runs into issues accessing or writing to a certain spot (I don't know the technical term).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Anne Whateley posted:

I did find some older posts that suggest this may be a network issue, can you try a different Wifi connection somewhere? I'm not optimistic that's a solution though.

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's a remote possibility very far down the list of likely causes. The RAM or storage could be faulty so the phone runs into issues accessing or writing to a certain spot (I don't know the technical term).

I guess it could be bit rot but that seems so unlikely to me that it would manifest like that. :shrug:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah I seriously can't imagine this is a hardware issue. I suspect the iOS is old enough that they may have stopped supporting it and that's why the verification fails.

I can log into iCloud on my computer using the same credentials, so it's definitely not an issue with the username or password. I do have MFA turned on, and the part where they send a code to my phone still works fine :iiam:

I can't update the OS because I don't have enough free space for the download -- that's why I've been using the old OS. However, even if I got rid of a ton of stuff, I still couldn't update the OS because you have to be logged in for that :shepface:

The Lord Bude posted:

I can't even begin to imagine owning a phone that old, the battery alone must be cactus by now. A new phone is perfectly justified, don't feel bad about it
Battery is actually not that bad, it lasts about 5 hours of heavy use. That means I have to recharge it once midday, but I'm still wfh so it's not an issue. The decreased capacity means it's also super fast to recharge.

I was going to get myself a new phone for Christmas, but tl;dr I moved and it turns out couches and stuff are absurdly expensive

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I had an Apple ID problem because of an old email I used to set up my first iPhone that they couldn’t fix and I finally just created a new Apple ID and though it was a pain in the rear end it solved it

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah I seriously can't imagine this is a hardware issue. I suspect the iOS is old enough that they may have stopped supporting it and that's why the verification fails.

I can log into iCloud on my computer using the same credentials, so it's definitely not an issue with the username or password. I do have MFA turned on, and the part where they send a code to my phone still works fine :iiam:

I can't update the OS because I don't have enough free space for the download -- that's why I've been using the old OS. However, even if I got rid of a ton of stuff, I still couldn't update the OS because you have to be logged in for that :shepface:

Battery is actually not that bad, it lasts about 5 hours of heavy use. That means I have to recharge it once midday, but I'm still wfh so it's not an issue. The decreased capacity means it's also super fast to recharge.

I was going to get myself a new phone for Christmas, but tl;dr I moved and it turns out couches and stuff are absurdly expensive

You don't need to be signed into the App Store for iOS updates. If you don't have enough free space, you can update the OS using a computer.

From everything you're describing here, I would suggest 2 things.

-Do what I mentioned earlier and make sure you can get logged into iCloud on the web.

-Make a hard encrypted backup on a computer

-Use computer for updating the OS OR wipe phone, do not restore from backup, update OS, then restore backup.

Regardless, it sounds like your phone needs an enema. It sucks but it's gonna happen.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

That sounds pretty awful to me. On a heavy usage day I have to recharge my 12 pro when I go to bed at the end of the day, instead of every second day. That being said if you're happy with it, that's what matters I guess, but if you do need to buy a new phone, and if you're happy with the form factor you could save a ton of money by just buying the SE if you wanted.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's still around. It's one of those buried features that games do use but it's more behind the scenes and not in your face.

Apart from the goddamn toast every time you switch into a game that still supports it for some god-forsaken reason?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah I seriously can't imagine this is a hardware issue.

The odds are low, but not zero, so it's something to have a plan for. I've seen it happen, though it's very rare.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Anne Whateley posted:

I would contact apple support - should be free for iCloud problems. If your config is no longer supported they'll say that but I would think your OS would have to be extremely old to get dropped off like that. There are people permanently stuck on older OSes because their hardware isn't getting updates but I don't think iCloud has a "gtfo" policy for those people.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

The wizard who lives in the phone has died so if you reset it all the leftover magic that’s keeping the phone at least chugging along will be erased too.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
if it’s been 6 years it’s time for a new phone

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
5 years tbf.

got a new phone

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Oooh what did you get?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Apple store was like "lol that's weird idk. We could wipe it and restore it from the iCloud backup" and I was like yeah there's no recent iCloud backup because it can't log in to iCloud, that's why I'm here

I got a 13 mini with 286gb, which was what I had been planning for. It didn't really feel like a decision because I definitely couldn't deal with a physically bigger phone than my iPhone 7. I have to restore the new one from the PC backup overnight, so I haven't played with it yet.

I guess I should probably get a case for it. I've always kept my iphones naked, but I hate the back glass and how it immediately gets covered in fingerprints. Case recommendations? Is otterbox still the best for butterfingers? (I did get the two years of AppleCare as always)

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 16, 2022

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Apple store was like "lol that's weird idk. We could wipe it and restore it from the iCloud backup" and I was like yeah there's no recent iCloud backup because it can't log in to iCloud, that's why I'm here

I got a 13 mini with 286gb, which was what I had been planning for. It didn't really feel like a decision because I definitely couldn't deal with a physically bigger phone than my iPhone 7. I have to restore the new one from the PC backup overnight, so I haven't played with it yet.

Nice!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Apple lost my friends phone in tracking today, tried to blame her by saying her trade in was broken (despite the fact she was talking to them from same alleged handset) and even at 3rd level support seemed unwilling and unable to do anything. Ouch, I’m glad I’ve not had to deal with them in a few years as that’s a whole bunch of shitiness for one day.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Apple lost my friends phone in tracking today, tried to blame her by saying her trade in was broken (despite the fact she was talking to them from same alleged handset) and even at 3rd level support seemed unwilling and unable to do anything. Ouch, I’m glad I’ve not had to deal with them in a few years as that’s a whole bunch of shitiness for one day.

That sucks. I'd say that it out of the ordinary. Their support is generally pretty good. It's a really weird issue for them to be unhelpful though. The tracking info would clearly indicate if the package is lost.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I got a new job with a huge pay rise so decided to bite the bullet and buy an Apple Watch, despite my reservations over the listed battery life being 18 hours because lol what kind of bullshit Mickey Mouse batteries are they putting in these things?

It got to 24% after 36 hours and it charged back to 100% in like 45 minutes. Why are Apple doing the exact opposite of every other company that’s ever sold a battery powered device in history and listing some kind of wacky worst case battery life in all their main marketing materials?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They base the battery life on a certain number of interactions per day. If you do a workout or interact with a bunch of apps through the day you'll get closer to their advertised battery life.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

I guess I should probably get a case for it. I've always kept my iphones naked, but I hate the back glass and how it immediately gets covered in fingerprints. Case recommendations? Is otterbox still the best for butterfingers? (I did get the two years of AppleCare as always)

Otterbox , Speck and apple are good , prob a bit more expensive due to brand.

Spigen is I believe still the go to lower cost case.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

I got a new job with a huge pay rise so decided to bite the bullet and buy an Apple Watch, despite my reservations over the listed battery life being 18 hours because lol what kind of bullshit Mickey Mouse batteries are they putting in these things?

It got to 24% after 36 hours and it charged back to 100% in like 45 minutes. Why are Apple doing the exact opposite of every other company that’s ever sold a battery powered device in history and listing some kind of wacky worst case battery life in all their main marketing materials?

Because they'd prefer you be happy when you can get 24 hours without a problem than upset when you sometimes don't get to 36 hours without charging and 18 hours is still a full day for almost everyone almost all of the time.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Otterbox , Speck and apple are good , prob a bit more expensive due to brand.

Spigen is I believe still the go to lower cost case.

Otterbox seems like a bit much for somebody with AppleCare+, but I understand why some people just want peace of mind with their phone not ever being damaged.

I like MagSafe cases, but I'm super lazy about charging my phone at the end of the day and enjoy throwing it on the MagSafe puck in the dark.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

xzzy posted:

They base the battery life on a certain number of interactions per day. If you do a workout or interact with a bunch of apps through the day you'll get closer to their advertised battery life.

Wow, nice sedentary shaming.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gay Retard posted:

Otterbox seems like a bit much for somebody with AppleCare+, but I understand why some people just want peace of mind with their phone not ever being damaged.

I like MagSafe cases, but I'm super lazy about charging my phone at the end of the day and enjoy throwing it on the MagSafe puck in the dark.

MagSafe is semi dumb just in that it really does not have many use cases, but it is nice for wireless charging , and as I’ve posted here the battery add ons work well.

3rd use is a wallet MagSafe , but I tried doing wallet cases before and unless you are fine with ONLY an ID and 1, maybe 2 , credit cards, it’s fine, but I found I really wanted to have a separate wallet (although I’m a guy and I’m sure it’s different for others).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I was watching some youtube review of Magsafe stuff and the wallet just doesn’t seem like it would be reliable enough. Seems to slide off way too easy.

Which sucks because I would love to consolidate down to one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

I was watching some youtube review of Magsafe stuff and the wallet just doesn’t seem like it would be reliable enough. Seems to slide off way too easy.

Which sucks because I would love to consolidate down to one.

Take a look at the stuff Bellroy makes, I switched to a slim wallet like 10 years ago and haven't regretted it once. The one I got looks almost new, and it's been through the wash at least twice.

Sticking the wallet to a phone with magnets seems like begging to lose all one's credit cards.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

xzzy posted:

Take a look at the stuff Bellroy makes, I switched to a slim wallet like 10 years ago and haven't regretted it once. The one I got looks almost new, and it's been through the wash at least twice.

Sticking the wallet to a phone with magnets seems like begging to lose all one's credit cards.

I have a slim wallet that I keep in my front pocket as it is, but 99% of the time I could get away with just an ID and two cards on my phone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I've been using MagSafe wallets (official and third party) for over a year now and I've never had issues with the wallet coming off the phone.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Yeah all the videos of dudes wallets sliding all over like the phones slathered in extra virgin olive oil are exaggerated. My wallet stays rock solid, especially if I have the phone in it’s leather case too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I’ve got a case with a slot for cards. Can confirm it works great for holding my ID and a credit card or two.

Every now and then I have an instance where I need to carry more cards than that (doctor/pharmacy visit) but it works great for 98% of the time.

Apple Pay makes holding anything more than a primary payment card a breeze.